The Meb Faber Show - Better Investing - 钱币与收藏品之王 - 万·西蒙斯 | #624 封面

钱币与收藏品之王 - 万·西蒙斯 | #624

The King of Coins & Collectibles - Van Simmons | #624

本集简介

在本期节目中,范探讨了稀有硬币和收藏品市场的演变,评级如何将收藏品转变为机构级资产类别,以及为何高品相硬币如今可能被低估。他讨论了供需动态、货币、黄金与收藏品之间的历史联系,以及科技和人工智能如何重塑鉴定与估值方式。 最后,范解释了为何稀有硬币仍是保值和建立持久遗产的有力方式。 (0:00)开始 (2:25)当前硬币市场概览及近期黄金发现 (16:43)硬币的历史意义与储存建议 (25:34)新冠疫情对腕表和体育纪念品的影响 (31:41)人工智能评级 (35:42)识别被低估的收藏品与销售经验 (45:15)收藏品证券化 (49:52)现代企业对收藏品市场的影响 (1:01:42)硬币展亮点与创纪录的销售 ----- 在 X、LinkedIn 和 YouTube 关注 Meb 如需详细节目笔记,请点击此处 了解更多我们的基金并关注我们,请订阅我们的邮件列表或访问 cambriainvestments.com ----- 关注 The Idea Farm:X | LinkedIn | Instagram | TikTok ----- 有意赞助本节目?请发送邮件至 Feedback@TheMebFaberShow.com ----- 过往嘉宾包括 Ed Thorp、Richard Thaler、Jeremy Grantham、Joel Greenblatt、Campbell Harvey、Ivy Zelman、Kathryn Kaminski、Jason Calacanis、Whitney Baker、Aswath Damodaran、Howard Marks、Tom Barton 等众多人士。 ----- Meb 投资了一些优秀的初创企业,它们为我们的听众提供了专属折扣,点击查看! ----- 本集的编辑与后期制作由 The Podcast Consultant(https://thepodcastconsultant.com)提供。 了解更多关于您的广告选择,请访问 megaphone.fm/adchoices

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

欢迎收听梅布·法伯秀,本节目致力于帮助您增值并保全财富。

Welcome to the Meb Faber Show, where the focus is on helping you grow and preserve your wealth.

Speaker 0

加入我们,一起探讨投资的艺术,发掘新颖且盈利的思路,助您变得更有钱、更睿智。

Join us as we discuss the craft of investing and uncover new and profitable ideas, all to help you grow wealthier and wiser.

Speaker 0

更好的投资,从这里开始。

Better investing starts here.

Speaker 1

梅布·法伯是坎布里亚投资管理公司的联合创始人兼首席投资官。

Meb Faber is the cofounder and chief investment officer at Cambria Investment Management.

Speaker 1

由于行业监管规定,他不会在本播客中讨论坎布里亚的任何基金。

Due to industry regulations, he will not discuss any of Cambria's funds on this podcast.

Speaker 1

播客参与者表达的所有观点均为其个人意见,不代表坎布里亚投资管理公司或其关联方的立场。

All opinions expressed by podcast participants are solely their own opinions and do not reflect reflect the opinion of Cambria Investment Management or its affiliates.

Speaker 1

如需更多信息,请访问 cambriainvestments.com。

For more information, visit cambriainvestments.com.

Speaker 2

欢迎各位再次回来。

Welcome back, everybody.

Speaker 2

今天这一期非常精彩。

Today is an awesome episode.

Speaker 2

我们的回头客是范·西蒙斯。

Our returning guest is Van Simmons.

Speaker 2

范是一位钱币学家,是高端收藏界的重量级人物。

Van is a numismatist, heavyweight in the world of high end collectibles.

Speaker 2

他是大卫·霍尔稀有硬币公司的总裁,也是PCGS的联合创始人,这家公司当年几乎发明了现代钱币评级体系。

He's the president of David Hall Rare Coins, co founder of PCGS, a company that essentially invented modern creating back in the day.

Speaker 2

范,欢迎再次做客我们的节目。

Van, welcome back to the show.

Speaker 3

谢谢。

Thank you.

Speaker 3

感谢你邀请我,梅布。

Appreciate you having me on, Meb.

Speaker 3

各位听众,

Listeners,

Speaker 2

这真是特别的惊喜。

this is a special treat.

Speaker 2

我们差不多十年前就采访过范,真是不可思议。

We first talked to Van almost ten years ago, which is crazy.

Speaker 2

如果我们再等一年,就正好是十周年了。

If we wait another year, it'd be the ten year anniversary.

Speaker 2

我会把链接放在节目笔记里。

I'm gonna put the link in the show notes.

Speaker 2

我们甚至可能重新发布那一期,因为那期实在太棒了,而这一期会与之紧密衔接。

We might even republish it in the feed because it's such a great episode and this one will dovetail back off that one.

Speaker 2

我只是出于好奇,查了下那时候黄金的价格,一千美元。

I mean, just for fun, I looked up what gold prices were back then, thousand bucks.

Speaker 2

那时候白银的价格是每盎司16美元。

What silver prices were back then, $16.

Speaker 2

这么多年来,变化可真不小啊,老兄。

A little bit's changed since then, man.

Speaker 2

生活怎么样?

How's life?

Speaker 2

跟我讲讲过去七年你都做了些什么。

Walk us through what you've been up to the last seven years.

Speaker 2

八年、九年了。

Eight years, nine years.

Speaker 3

就是,你知道的,在工作。

Just, you know, working.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,我们创办了Collectors Universe,为从邮票到棒球卡(PSA)再到硬币(PCGS)等各种收藏品提供鉴定和认证服务,这个业务涵盖了大量不同的收藏品类。

I mean, we built Collectors Universe, which we graded certified everything from stamps to baseball cards, which was PSA, and coins, which was PCGS, a lot of different collectibles in that business.

Speaker 3

我们在1999年上市,在纳斯达克交易,直到——我想说是——大约四年前。

We took it public in 1999 and traded on the NASDAQ until, I want to say, thousand, I don't know, about four years ago.

Speaker 3

史蒂夫·科恩,他是纽约大都会队的老板,还有他的合伙人,最终收购了这家公司并使其私有化。

Steve Cohen, who owns the New York Mets and a partner, they ended up buying it and taking it private.

Speaker 3

所以我现在已经不再参与那家公司了,但我每天仍然坐在这里买卖优质的硬币。

So I'm no longer affiliated with that, but I still sit here and buy and sell great coins every day.

Speaker 3

这事儿挺有意思的。

It's will tell you a funny thing.

Speaker 3

当我母亲90岁生日那天,她即将离世时,看着我说:‘范,你得明白,靠卖一分钱硬币是赚不到钱的。’

When my mother was turning 90 and she was on her last day, she looked at me and she goes, Van, you have to realize you're never going to be able to make money selling pennies for a living.

Speaker 3

你得去找份正经工作。

You have to go get a real job.

Speaker 3

那时候我差不多65岁了,心想:我觉得我早就过了找正经工作的年纪了。

And the time, I was like 65 years old and I'm thinking, well, I think I'm past finding a real job.

Speaker 2

这太惊人了。

That's amazing.

Speaker 2

不过,你确实为自己取得了不错的成就。

Well, you've you've done pretty well for yourself.

Speaker 3

谢谢。

Thank you.

Speaker 2

也许给我们更新一下近况?

Maybe give us an update.

Speaker 2

我们这个播客很少谈论硬币,但现在的状况是怎样的?

We don't talk about coins that much on this podcast, but what does it look like today?

Speaker 2

我们会随着讨论涉及一些收藏品和其他内容,但先给我们介绍一下过去五到十年硬币市场的整体情况。

And we'll talk about some collectibles and everything else as we go through, but give us an overview of the coin market over the past five, ten years.

Speaker 2

似乎人们对收藏品的兴趣正在回升,这不仅源于贵金属价格的上涨,也来自收藏品本身的普遍回暖。

It seems to be a resurgence in interest, not just from precious metal prices, but collectibles in general.

Speaker 2

所以给我们讲讲现在的情况吧。

So walk us forward.

Speaker 2

我们错过了什么?

What have we missed out on?

Speaker 2

最近发生了什么?

What's been going on?

Speaker 3

一些收藏品领域确实非常活跃。

Well, the collectibles markets in some fields have been very active.

Speaker 3

但在其他领域,却毫无起色。

In other fields, they've been dead.

Speaker 3

家具之类的东西没人感兴趣。

Furniture and things like that are dead.

Speaker 3

没人关心这个。

Nobody cares about it.

Speaker 3

稀有硬币市场被分成了几个不同的细分市场。

The rare coin market is bifurcated into a couple of different markets.

Speaker 3

有收藏家。

There's collectors.

Speaker 3

在过去十年里,你进来后只想要非常稀有、品质极高的东西。

Over the last ten years, you've come in and wanted really rare things, really high quality things.

Speaker 3

他们不需要一百枚硬币。

They don't need a 100 coins.

Speaker 3

他们只需要五枚、十枚或二十枚最顶尖、最昂贵的硬币。

They need five or 10 or 20 of the best and the most expensive coins.

Speaker 3

因此,高端市场——稀有性、高品质、像名人堂级别的硬币——这一部分非常活跃。

So the high end part of the market, rarity, high quality, things that are like hall of fame coins, that market's been very active.

Speaker 3

需求非常强劲。

Pretty strong demand.

Speaker 3

过去十到十五年里,普通钱币的市场已经完全消失了,而且还发现了大量囤积的钱币。

The more common things the market's just disappeared on over the last ten or fifteen years, and there's been hoards that have been found.

Speaker 3

我记得有一次,你和我跟一位通讯撰稿人共进午餐,他想让你为某一种金币设立一个ETF或封闭式基金之类的,我说不行,因为可能会发现更多,而他却向我解释说这有多稀有。

I remember at one point you and I were having lunch with a newsletter writer and he wanted you to do a ETF or a closed end fund or something on one gold coin, and I said, well, you can't do that because they may find more, and he was explaining to me how rare it is.

Speaker 3

我说,是的,但你知道,可能会发现更多,我的一个朋友就真的发现了更多。

I said, yeah, but, know, they may find more, and one of my friends found more.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,他大约四年前发现了一个巨大的金币宝藏,价值数十亿美元,以至于他一个人还保留着一百多个原封未拆的帆布袋,每袋都是美国造币厂原封的1000美元面值钱币。

I mean, he found billions of dollars worth about four years ago, I think it was, of this big gold hoard to the extent where one coin, he's got over a 100 still canvas bags still sealed by the US Mint, thousand dollar face value.

Speaker 2

他们得把这个故事讲得更详细些。

They gotta expand on that.

Speaker 2

这些钱币到底是在哪儿被发现的?

Where does one just find a bunch of these coins?

Speaker 2

是在自家后院挖出来的吗?

Is it digging around his backyard?

Speaker 2

这是一艘船吗?

Is this a ship?

Speaker 3

那是什么?

What was it?

Speaker 3

我不能多说,因为四年前我签了保密协议,不过我想现在应该没关系了,因为很多东西都已经公之于众了。

It's limited as to what I can say because I had to sign an NDA four years ago on it, which I'm sure is I don't need to worry about it now because so much of the stuff has been brought out.

Speaker 3

但据他说,他并不清楚所有东西的确切位置。

But he didn't know exactly where it all was according to him.

Speaker 3

他说这些分布在四个不同的国家。

He said it's in four different countries.

Speaker 3

他不知道确切的数量。

He didn't know the exact amount.

Speaker 3

我当时猜测,美国硬币的总价值大约在40亿到50亿美元之间,但这个宝藏实际上包含了1850年以来美国铸造的所有5美元、10美元和20美元金币,包括所有铸币标记,数量庞大。

My guess at the time was somewhere between 4 and $5,000,000,000 of US coins, but the hoard was actually every $5, $10, and $20 gold coin struck in The US in from 1850 on, including every mint mark, there were hoards of them.

Speaker 3

当我提到宝藏时,我问他:那你有没有一袋1829年的5美元金币?

And when I say hoards, like I said to him, I said, so do you have a $19.29 dollars 5 gold piece, a bag of those?

Speaker 3

他说没有,但我有一组这样的硬币。

He goes, no, but I I have a grouping of them.

Speaker 3

所以这几乎像是某位银行家——我不确定是不是洛克菲勒家族、罗斯柴尔德家族,或者其他银行业人士——几十年来一直在把这些硬币收藏起来,建立完整的年份系列、类型系列和造币厂标记系列等等。

So it was almost like some banker, and I don't know if it would be the Rockefellers or Rothschilds or somebody in the banking industry, was setting this stuff aside for decades, you know, and just building a date set and a typeset and a mint mark set and everything else.

Speaker 3

这挺有意思的,但里面没有2.5美元或3美元的金币,也没有金币美元。

Was kinda interesting, but there weren't any like two and a half dollar gold pieces or $3 gold pieces or gold dollars.

Speaker 3

主要是五美元、十美元和二十美元的金币。

It was mostly fives, tens, and twenties.

Speaker 3

但据他说,他拥有每一个造币厂的版本——等等,我举个好例子。

But according to him, he he had every mint well, here's a here's a good example.

Speaker 3

在过去的四十五年里,我只经手过一两枚1850年的20美元金币。

In the last forty five years, I've handled one or two $18.50 dollars 20 gold pieces.

Speaker 3

那是美国造币厂首次铸造用于流通的20美元金币的年份。

That's the first year the US Mint struck $20 gold pieces for circulation.

Speaker 3

所以我只接触过几枚,部分原因是,在我看来,如果一枚标价3500美元,经销商就会要价7000美元或更多,我根本买不起,也无法卖给客户,因为它们总是定价过高。

So I've only handled a couple of them, and part of the reasoning was if one was, in my mind was $3,500 the dealers would want 7,000 or something, I could never buy them and place them with clients because they were always overpriced.

Speaker 3

所以我问:‘那你有一组18.50美元的20美元金币吗?’

And so I said, oh, do you have a group of eighteen, fifty, 20 gold pieces?

Speaker 3

开玩笑的。

Joking.

Speaker 3

他回答说:是的,我大概有八九十枚。

And he goes, yeah, I can say about 80 or 90 of them.

Speaker 3

我买下了整批货,不管怎样,这真是个超值的交易,我敢肯定他们已经把所有高品质的硬币都处理完了。

And I bought that entire deal and and then they anyway, so it's it's an amazing deal and I'm sure they're done with all the high quality coins.

Speaker 3

我觉得大部分都已经卖掉了。

I think most of those have been sold off.

Speaker 3

剩下的大部分都是与金条相关的硬币。

Most of the rest of the stuff is just bullion related coins.

Speaker 2

那有什么挑战呢?

What's the challenge there?

Speaker 2

这其实就是个典型的供需问题。

Like, it's a classic supply demand sort of thing.

Speaker 2

你是说,你突然就遇到了这么大量的供应吗?

Is it like you all of a sudden come upon that amount of supply?

Speaker 2

这会影响市场吗?

Does that affect the market?

Speaker 2

还是说他像在说,嘿,我得对这件事保密。

Or is he like like, hey, I need to be quiet about this.

Speaker 2

我不该告诉你的。

I don't want I shouldn't be telling you.

Speaker 3

两者都有,因为像十八五十年代的硬币这类稀有品种,一直都非常受欢迎。

Both because what happens is like some of the rare days, for instance, the eighteen fifties, those have always been very desirable coins.

Speaker 3

所以,你知道,这符合经济学规律。

So that, you know, there's an economics law.

Speaker 3

我认为这是萨伊定律,即供给创造需求。

I think it's Say's Law where supply creates demand.

Speaker 3

自从我几年前卖掉它们后,这些硬币的价格可能已经翻了一番。

So those have gone up in price since I sold them a couple of years, probably doubled in price.

Speaker 3

我不知道。

I don't know.

Speaker 3

但更常见的东西,比如一枚19.00美元或4.20美元的自由女神币,这是20美元自由女神币中最常见的年份,或者1901S年的10美元自由女神币,它们的价值已经下降了,因为它们一直很常见,现在更普遍了。

And but more common things like let's say a $19.00 $4.20 Liberty, which is the most common date of the $20 Liberty or 1901S $10 Liberty, those have gone down in value because they were always common and now they're more common.

Speaker 3

这说得通吗?

Does that make sense?

Speaker 3

换句话说,是的。

In other words Yeah.

Speaker 3

供应会为某些物品创造需求,但并非所有物品都是如此。

Supply creates the demand for some items but not all items.

Speaker 2

我们这里可能有一些新手,一些新人。

We probably got some newbies on here, some rookies.

Speaker 2

也许给我们简单介绍一下什么是稀有硬币市场,再快速讲讲评级系统是如何运作的,因为我觉得如果我们不打点基础,后面用的很多术语会让他们一头雾水。

Maybe give us like a just a short overview of what the rare coin market means and just kind of real quick overview of of the grading system, how it works, because I feel like we're gonna use a bunch of lingo that they're gonna be over their head if we don't give a little bit of foundation.

Speaker 3

在硬币市场中,收藏家们收藏各种各样的东西。

So in the coin market, there's collectors for a variety of things.

Speaker 3

有些收藏者只想要银元。

There's collectors who only wanna buy silver dollars.

Speaker 3

有些收藏者只想要野牛镍币。

There's collectors who only want buffalo nickels.

Speaker 3

有些收藏者想要古钱币。

There's collectors who want ancient coins.

Speaker 3

有些收藏者想要外国钱币。

There's collectors who want foreign coins.

Speaker 3

那我们就专注于美国钱币市场,从1793年一直到二战前,我主要处理的是二战前的钱币。

So let's just concentrate on The US coin market, which is like 1793 up until I only handle stuff mostly prior to World War II.

Speaker 3

之后,所有钱币都变得很常见了。

After that, everything becomes pretty common.

Speaker 3

有些人只收藏金币。

So some people collect only gold coins.

Speaker 3

有些人只收藏银币。

Some people collect only silver coins.

Speaker 3

有些人会收集每种类型或每种变体的一枚,我本人也差不多是这样做的。

Some people collect one of each type or one of each variety is what I kind of do myself.

Speaker 3

自七十年代以来一直存在一个评级标准,叫做谢尔登等级,其中1到50级是流通币,50级大约相当于八。

There was always a grading standard going back to the seventies called the Sheldon scale, which was one to 50 were circulated coins, 50 like eight.

Speaker 3

这些通常被称为接近AU 50、AU 53、55和58级。

It was called almost AU 50, AU 53, 55, and 58.

Speaker 3

这些都属于近乎未流通的硬币,虽然是全新的,但可能被携带过,有些磨损痕迹。

Those were all almost uncirculated coins, which were brand new, but maybe had been carried a little bit and had some rub on them.

Speaker 3

然后是亮未流通币,我们以一枚20美元金币为例。

And then you move into brilliant uncirculated coins, which and let's take a $20 gold piece.

Speaker 3

它们会被装在袋子里,从一家银行运到另一家银行,难免会有磕碰。

They would be in bags, and the bags would move from bank to bank, and they'd get dinged up.

Speaker 3

但它们仍然是亮未流通币。

And but they were still brilliant uncirculated coins.

Speaker 3

因此,评级标准从1级延伸到70级。

So the grading standard would go from one to 70.

Speaker 3

最后11个等级是MS,代表精铸状态,也就是铸币厂出厂时的原始状态,从60、61、62、63、64、65一直到70,对于老硬币,我从未见过能评到70分的,但我们确实遇到过几枚69分、68分的。

The last 11 grades, which was MS, which stands for mint state or the original mint state from the mint brand new, is sixty, sixty one, 62, 63, 64, 65, all the way up to 70, which the older coins, I've never seen one that grade 70, but we've had a couple that grade 69 and things like that and 68.

Speaker 2

你能看到最早的70分硬币是哪一年的?

What's like the oldest coin that you could see as 70?

Speaker 2

1920年,还是18XX年?

1920 or, like, '18?

Speaker 3

没有。

No.

Speaker 3

没有。

No.

Speaker 3

所有用电脑制造的新币。

All the new stuff that's made with computers.

Speaker 3

上世纪七十年代之前的硬币,根本不存在这种等级。

The stuff prior to, like, the seventies, it doesn't really exist.

Speaker 3

新币由电脑控制,能精准调节黄金或白银的金属温度。

The new stuff, the compute the computers have, you know, perfect metal temperature for the gold or silver.

Speaker 3

它们对模具的温度控制得非常完美。

They have perfect temperature for the dyes.

Speaker 3

它们的压力也十分精准。

They have a perfect pressure.

Speaker 3

在过去,比如我刚卖了一枚价值17.95美元的金币。

Back in the old days, know, like, I just sold a $17.95 dollars gold piece.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,那是手工压印的,你知道的,当时费城造币厂的地下室里有几个人,托马斯·杰斐逊和约翰·亚当斯就在那儿。

I mean, it was a hand press, you know, and they had some guys in the basement of the Philadelphia Mint and Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Speaker 3

这些人站在一旁,看着我们第一批金币被压制出来,他们当时正在手动压印。

These people are standing there watching our first gold coins be struck, and, you know, they were pressing.

Speaker 3

当时实际上用的是螺旋压印机,他们会压上好几次。

There was actually a screw press, and they would press them a couple of times.

Speaker 2

所以,现在你在塑料盒里看到的那种从未被人类手触摸过的硬币概念,是直到七十年代才出现的吗?

So the concept of where you see coins in the plastic cases now where they've never touched human hands, like, didn't come online until, like, the seventies?

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

不。

No.

Speaker 2

是的,就在那儿。

There Yeah.

Speaker 2

好了,就这样。

There we go.

Speaker 3

我们是在1986年推出这个服务的,当时他开启了这项业务,并为整个行业树立了标准。

We brought this out in 1986 was when he opened it and and actually set a standard for the industry.

Speaker 3

我和我的合伙人一起创办了它,又吸纳了另外四位合伙人,并说:这就是标准。

And my partner and I started it and took in four other partners and said, here's the standard.

Speaker 3

而发生的情况是,许多听众可能还记得加里·诺斯、霍华德·马克斯或阿里·麦斯特等人物,他们在八十年代初推荐过钱币。

The and what happened is you had a lot of your listeners may remember Gary North or Howard Marks or Ari McMaster, people like that who were financial newsletter writers, and they were recommending coins in the early eighties.

Speaker 3

人们于是出去购买钱币,却发现它们的评级并不准确。

And, you know, people were going out and buying coins and finding out they weren't correctly graded.

Speaker 3

因此,我们在1986年确立了这一标准。

So we set this standard in 1986.

Speaker 3

我们始于1984年。

We started in '84.

Speaker 3

我们花了两年时间把一切准备妥当,于1986年正式开业。

It took us two years to get everything set and opened the doors in '86.

Speaker 3

于是我们确立了标准,三十到六十天内,如果没有我们评级的硬币就卖不出去。

And so we set the standard and within thirty days, sixty days, you couldn't sell a coin unless it was graded by us.

Speaker 3

我们必须把硬币装进硬质塑料盒里,因为我们对评级结果负责。

And we had to put them in hard plastic holders because we guaranteed the grade.

Speaker 3

换句话说,如果评级不准确,我们会回购硬币。

In other words, we would buy the coin back if the grade wasn't correct.

Speaker 3

我们一直有这项政策。

And we had that policy.

Speaker 3

我确信他们现在某种程度上仍然保留着这项政策。

I'm sure they still have the policy to some degree.

Speaker 3

我们一直执行到四年前,那时我们还拥有这家公司。

We had it up until four years ago when we had the company.

Speaker 2

这本质上是将硬币证券化,现在系统中已经嵌入了信任机制。

It's essentially securitizing the coins where now you can have trust embedded in the system.

Speaker 2

现在它们变得容易交易多了。

Now it makes them way easier to be traded.

Speaker 2

所以我想象这确实大大推动了交易量的增长,你能给我们讲讲过去五到十年的情况吗?

So I imagine that really started to develop a fair amount of the amount of turnover and you've seen and you can walk us through like kind of the past, you know, five, ten years.

Speaker 2

科比给我们发了一些关于整体市场的有趣数据,但我记得我们聊天时,想起我们的好朋友史蒂夫·舒加德,以前他常提到,我想是MS 65级别的圣高登斯金币。

Colby had sent us some interesting stats on markets in general, but I remember when we were chatting and I remember our good buddy, Steve Sugarud, back in the day, he would talk about, I wanna say, like, the MS 65 Saint Gaudens.

Speaker 2

我刚才说的对吗?

Did I even say that remotely right?

Speaker 2

但他提到,有些硬币的交易价甚至低于或接近熔炼价值,没有任何溢价。

But but some of these, he said they would trade even below or, like, there was no premium to, like, melt value.

Speaker 2

我这么说对吗?

Does that even sound remotely correct?

Speaker 3

那时候它们的价格接近熔炼价值,而如今的情况是,过去二十年金价上涨,市场上出现了大量新品。

They were close to melt value back then, and they're still well, what's happened is there's been so much product come on the market with the price of gold over the last twenty years moving up.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,1999年的时候金价是275美元,而如今26年过去了,金价已经涨到了原来的20倍。

I mean, realizing '99, it was $275, and here we are twenty six years later, and it's 20 times that.

Speaker 3

所以市场上流通的金币越来越多,导致成色较低的金币溢价大幅下降。

So what's happened is more and more have come on the market, and so the premium has come way down on the lower graded stuff.

Speaker 3

成色较高的金币价格则依然保持高位,具体高低还要看是哪种金币。

The higher graded stuff has stayed pretty high, higher being depending on the coin.

Speaker 3

比如,很多人购买的是20美元的自由女神金币,这些金币铸造于1850年至1907年之间,当时在19世纪和20世纪初通常被直接花掉。

Like a $20 Saint God's lot people buy old $20 liberties, which were struck from 1850 to nineteen o seven, and those coins were usually spent back in the eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds.

Speaker 3

到了20世纪,我们开始使用纸币,人们逐渐改用纸币而非黄金进行交易。

By the nineteen hundreds, we had currency, and people started carrying paper as opposed to gold.

Speaker 3

所以当圣高登斯金币——你知道的,西奥多·罗斯福曾说,要让地球上最美丽的东西出现在钱币上。

So when the Saint God you know, Teddy Roosevelt came out and said, want the most beautiful things on earth.

Speaker 3

于是他聘请了著名的法国雕塑家奥古斯都·圣高登斯,来设计20美元和10美元的金币。

So he hired Augustus Saint Goddess, who was a famous French sculptor, to design the $20 and the $10 gold piece.

Speaker 3

这些金币中的大多数都被保存了下来,没有被花掉。

Most of those were saved and not spent.

Speaker 3

很少能看到磨损严重的圣高登斯金币。

Very seldom do you see a Saint Gaudens that's worn out.

Speaker 3

现在这些金币的溢价已经大幅下降,只有在极高品相的情况下才有明显溢价。

Those now have come down to where there's very little premium except in really high grade things.

Speaker 3

比如一枚流通币可能值5000美元。要知道,1850年刚发行20美元金币时,黄金价格大约是每盎司20.35美元。

Like a circulated coin may be $5,000 Realize the $20 gold piece when they started making it in 1850, gold was like $20.35 an ounce.

Speaker 3

一枚20美元金币含有0.9675盎司的黄金。

So a $20 gold piece has 0.9675 of an ounce of gold.

Speaker 3

它略少于一盎司黄金,但却是过去一百多年全球交易最广泛的金币。

It's just shy of an ounce of gold, but it's the most widely traded gold coin worldwide for the last hundred plus years.

Speaker 3

我现在收到的所有20美元金币几乎都来自南美洲和欧洲,每天都能收到。

All the coins I get now in $20 gold pieces virtually all come from South America and Europe, and I get them in every single day.

Speaker 3

我有买家,你知道,这个行业里也有买家,我们在欧洲从银行等地收购金币。

I've got buyers and you know, the industry has buyers where we're in Europe getting coins from banks and things like that.

Speaker 3

事实上,我们的评级服务有一个有趣的故事。

In fact, our grading service we had over this is an interesting story.

Speaker 3

我们在上海、北京、香港和巴黎都有办公室。

We had offices in Shanghai and Beijing and Hong Kong and Paris.

Speaker 3

有一天,我们在巴黎的一位律师打电话来说:‘我想请你来看看一些硬币。’

And Paris one day, one of our lawyers over there called and said, I'd like you to come look at some coins.

Speaker 3

我的生意伙伴过去见了这个人,他拿出了几枚圣高登斯硬币。

And my business partner went over and met this guy, and he pulled out a couple of Saint Gaudens.

Speaker 3

这些是相当稀有的年份。

They were really rare dates.

Speaker 3

他问:‘这些值得送去评级吗?’

He goes, are these worth getting graded?

Speaker 3

我的伙伴大卫说:‘是的,值得送去评级。’

And my partner David said, yeah, they're worth getting graded.

Speaker 3

后来发现,这个人据说在自己一栋楼的地下室里存放了几十加仑的20美元金币。

Come to find out the guy, I guess, had 50 gallon drums filled with $20 gold pieces in the basement of one of his buildings.

Speaker 3

他家是欧洲一家三代经营的家具公司,整个1910年代和1920年代,他们一直坚持一半账单收黄金、一半收现金。

And and he owned a it was a third generation furniture company in Europe, and they would always take half their invoices in gold and half their invoices in currency all through the teens and the twenties and things like that.

Speaker 3

所以他仍然保留着所有这些硬币。

So he still had all the coins.

Speaker 3

而且外面还有很多类似的情况,尤其是在欧洲。

And there's lots of whores like that out there, especially in Europe.

Speaker 3

因为在欧洲,人们从未信任过货币。

Because in Europe, they've never trusted currencies.

Speaker 3

德国马克崩盘之后,一切都变了。

After the Deutsche market and everything went to zero, it changed.

Speaker 2

这说得通。

Makes sense.

Speaker 2

你和人们交谈时会发现,我们过去几年的播客中曾邀请过几位来自秘鲁等地的人,他们成长的环境里货币贬值是真实存在的,这种经历非常创伤且令人难忘,确实会深刻影响你对余生的看法。

And you talk to people, and we've had a handful on the podcast over the years that grew up in places like Peru or somewhere where currency debasement was much more real and you know that is a very scarring and memorable experience that kind of colors how you think about the rest of your life for sure.

Speaker 3

我刚听了你们的一期播客。

I just heard one of your podcasts.

Speaker 3

我不记得那位先生的名字了,但可能是你们上一期,他谈到根据你投资的地方不同,你的世界可能很快就会发生巨变。

I don't remember the gentleman's name, but it may have been your last one where he was talking about depending on where you're investing, your world can change pretty quickly.

Speaker 3

我不记得他当时说的是阿根廷还是别的国家,但突然间,他的货币就一文不值了。

And I don't remember if he was talking about Argentina or one of them, but all sudden, his currency wasn't worth anything.

Speaker 2

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 2

这种情况可能很快就会发生。

It can change pretty quick.

Speaker 2

我前几天在和我八岁的儿子聊天时,开玩笑说起了硬币之类的东西,我们有个朋友曾是你们节目的嘉宾,送了我们一枚‘杯币’。

We're joking in the I was trying to discuss with my son the other day who's now eight and we were talking about coins and stuff and one of our buddies had given us a cuppie who's a prior podcast guest.

Speaker 2

他自己铸造了一枚小银币,作为新年礼物送人。

He struck his own little silver coin and gave it out as a New Year's gift.

Speaker 2

我们在讨论怎么用它,我说:‘你不能拿它去麦当劳买东西’,但这个东西可能值一百美元左右,我们就是在聊这些观念。

And I was we were talking about ideas and things to do with it and how I was like, you can't go use this at McDonald's, but this is probably worth, you know, a $100 or something talking about these ideas.

Speaker 2

所以每当跟孩子谈到硬币、收藏品、金银这些东西时,他们总是充满童真的好奇。

So there's definitely always a childlike fascination with kids anytime you talk about coins and collectibles and gold and silver and things like that.

Speaker 2

不,还有货币。

No, but also currencies.

Speaker 2

关于货币,我正试着解释津巴布韦的情况,现在你可以在eBay上花大约5美元买到一整叠当年的津巴布韦钞票。

On the currency, I was trying to explain the Zimbabwe or you can go buy these on eBay now for probably $5 gets you a whole stack of Zimbabwe notes from back in the day.

Speaker 2

这些是挺有趣的纪念品,也能很好地提醒我们货币是会兴衰更替的。

It's fun little souvenirs to have, but a good reminder of the currencies can come and go.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

我不记得津巴布韦的钞票了。

Don't remember the Zimbabwe notes.

Speaker 3

我有一些。

I have some.

Speaker 3

是200万亿还是2000亿?

Are they 200,000,000,000,000 or 200,000,000,000?

Speaker 3

你知道是哪一个吗?

Do you know which one?

Speaker 2

哦,我觉得他们还没到万亿级别。

Oh, I think they got under the trillies.

Speaker 2

我觉得是带't'的。

I think it was with a t.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

我记得几年前我有一些写着200,000,000,000,000的钞票。

I think I've got some that say 200,000,000,000,000 that I got years ago.

Speaker 2

那可真多。

That's a lot.

Speaker 3

我给你讲个关于货币价值归零的有趣故事。

I'll tell you a funny story with talking about currencies going to zero.

Speaker 3

我以前常和弗里德曼博士一起吃午饭。

I used to go to lunch with Doctor.

Speaker 3

米尔顿·弗里德曼。

Milton Friedman.

Speaker 3

有一天,我问他:您觉得黄金价格会怎样?

And one day I said to him, what do you think the price of gold is going do?

Speaker 3

他用一种很奇怪的眼神看着我。

And he looked at me really funny.

Speaker 3

我当时想,天啊,我是不是说错什么了?

And I thought, gee, did I see something wrong?

Speaker 3

他的妻子罗斯也在看着我,他说:我不明白你的问题。

And his wife, Rose, is looking at me and he goes, I don't understand your question.

Speaker 3

你知道,你明白黄金会怎么样。

You know, you understand what gold's gonna do.

Speaker 3

我说:你的意思是?

I said, well, do you mean?

Speaker 3

他说:政客们为了当选必须做出承诺。

He goes, well, politicians have to make promises to get into office.

Speaker 3

他说:一旦他们上台,就必须兑现这些承诺,因此不得不举债,因为他们不可能通过征税来支付所有承诺的开支。

He goes, once they get into office, they have to fulfill on those promises and therefore they have to create debt because they can't tax people for all the promises they have to pay for.

Speaker 3

他说:这意味着,如果你有一枚硬币值一百万美元,而总共只有十枚。

He goes, which means if you have a coin that's worth a million dollars because there's 10 of them.

Speaker 3

他说,如果突然间有一亿个这样的硬币,这些硬币还会值多少钱?

He goes, if all of a sudden there were a billion of them, what would the coins be worth?

Speaker 3

它们就不再值一百万美元了。

They wouldn't be worth a million dollars anymore.

Speaker 3

我说,那是不是意味着?

And I said, does that mean?

Speaker 3

他说,这意味着黄金迟早会涨到每盎司一百万美元,而美元则会归零,就像地球上所有其他货币的历史一样。

He goes, that means sooner or later gold will be a million dollars an ounce and the US dollar will be zero, just like every other currency in the history of Earth.

Speaker 3

我从未忘记过这句话,因为事实证明它真的太准了。

I've never forgotten that because it's been so true.

Speaker 2

我们实际上正在编撰一本书。

We're actually putting together a book.

Speaker 2

希望今年夏天能出版,以庆祝美国建国二百五十年,回顾股票乃至其他一些有趣经济理念的起源,这还挺有意思的。

It should be out hopefully this summer to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary in The US and it was kind of fun to go through the origins of not just stocks, but other fun economic interesting ideas.

Speaker 2

我了解到的一个有趣点是,有些硬币的原始格言——我认为本·富兰克林参与了设计——是‘管好你自己的事’。

One of which I learned was that the original motto on some of the coins that I think Ben Franklin helped design was mind your business.

Speaker 2

你知道这个吗?

Do you know this?

Speaker 2

是Fugio吗?我不确定我刚才说得对不对,但是

Was it the Fugio I don't even know if I said any of that correct, but

Speaker 3

是的,它叫Fugio分币。

Yeah, it's called the Fugio cent.

Speaker 3

还有一种大陆元,上面也刻着‘管好你的事’。

There was also a continental dollar, it said mind your business.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

它们是本杰明·富兰克林设计的,关于他有很多书。

They were Benjamin Franklin, there's several books written on him.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,他是一位非常有趣的美国人。

I mean, he was a pretty interesting American.

Speaker 2

Fugio分币具有收藏价值吗?

Are Fugio cents, are they collectible?

Speaker 2

它们稀有吗?

Are they rare?

Speaker 2

你能找到它们吗?

Can you even find them?

Speaker 3

我认为在PCGS,我们重新将其归类为第一枚美国硬币,一旦我们这么做了,每个收藏家都想要一枚作为首藏。

I think at PCGS, we reclassified it as the first American coin, and once we did that, every collector then wanted one first collection.

Speaker 3

大卫和我在大约四五年前做过一笔交易,我们买了好几年,我们还在邮件列表中有一个‘每周一币’和‘新购入’的栏目。

David and I did a deal about four or five years ago where we bought them for two or three years, and we have a thing on our email list where have like a coin of the week and new purchase.

Speaker 3

新购入的硬币通常在周一或周二发布,而每周一币则像今天这样发布。

New purchases usually come out on Monday or Tuesday and coin of the week comes out like today.

Speaker 3

我想我们曾经发布过一枚,当时我们做了一枚Fugio Cent,我记得这些年我们一共买了八九枚,放进去后立刻就卖掉了。

I think we had one go out, and we did on one on Fuji Sense, and I think we had like eight or nine or something that we bought over the years and put them in, and they sold immediately.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,这很有趣,而且也没花多少钱。

I mean, it was interesting and there weren't a lot of money.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,几千美元而已。

I mean, couple thousand dollars.

Speaker 3

我知道对有些人来说这可能听起来不少,但在收藏品市场里,这其实很便宜。

I know that may sound like a lot to some people, but in the collectibles market, it's pretty inexpensive.

Speaker 3

有趣的是,我的收藏里连一枚都没有。

The funny part is I don't even own one in my collection.

Speaker 3

我为什么没有一枚呢?

Why I don't own one?

Speaker 3

我不知道。

I don't know.

Speaker 3

我只是一直没腾出时间去买一枚留着,我

I just have never gotten around to buying one and keeping one, I

Speaker 2

猜是吧。

guess, so.

Speaker 2

不过这挺有趣的。

Well, it's fun.

Speaker 2

我的意思是,它是实实在在的。

I mean, it's tangible.

Speaker 2

你可以轻松买到这些东西。

You can pick these things up.

Speaker 2

把它们存在保管箱里安全吗?

Is it safe to keep it in a safe deposit box?

Speaker 2

对大多数人来说,除了把收藏品放在地下室的桶里,如果你告诉别人他们拥有这些硬币,这似乎很冒险。

For most of these people that, you know, other than barrels in the basement, that seems risky when you tell people when they got some of these coins.

Speaker 2

他们把硬币放在家里?

They keep them at home?

Speaker 2

他们应该怎么做呢?

What should they do with them?

Speaker 3

很有趣,因为我经常遇到这种情况。

It's funny because I I get this all the time.

Speaker 3

事实上,我认识一位金融领域的作家,他对我说,他有一些硬币。

In fact, I had a guy who you would know, a financial guy writer, and he said to me, he goes, you know, I've got these coins.

Speaker 3

他说,我把它们放在厨房水槽或厨房台面上。

And he goes, I have them on my kitchen sink or my kitchen counter.

Speaker 3

我只是每天喜欢看看它们。

I just love looking at them every day.

Speaker 3

我说,那你应该把它们存进保险箱。

I said, well, you ought to put them in a safety deposit box.

Speaker 3

他问,你觉得那样安全吗?

He goes, well, do you think that's safe?

Speaker 3

我说,你会把十万美元现金放在厨房水槽上吗?

I said, well, would you put $100,000 cash sitting on your kitchen sink?

Speaker 3

我说,你肯定不会这么做的。

I go, you wouldn't do that.

Speaker 3

我说,你得把它们锁起来。

I said, you got to lock them up.

Speaker 3

如果你不这么做,总有一天会有人打电话给我,想把它们卖给我,你知道的。

If And you don't, somebody else is going to be calling me selling them someday, you know, offering them to me.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,有人会来偷走它们。

Mean, somebody's going come and steal them.

Speaker 3

所以对我来说,保险箱是非常安全的。

So the safety deposit boxes to me are very safe.

Speaker 3

你可以使用其他存储设施,但必须运用常识。

There's other storage facilities you can use, but you have to use common sense.

Speaker 3

问题是,你不可能把一千盎司的银子放进保险箱里。

Problem is you can't take like a thousand ounces of silver and put it in a safety deposit box.

Speaker 3

你知道,实在太重了。

You know, it's just it's, too heavy.

Speaker 2

过去十年我们有一些新进展。

We've got some developments over the past ten years.

Speaker 2

美国造币厂已经停止生产便士了。

The US Mint stopped making pennies.

Speaker 2

这有什么影响吗?

Does that matter to anything?

Speaker 2

也就是说,这有点无关紧要吗?

Like, is that kinda irrelevant?

Speaker 2

我们还看到了哪些其他重大发展?

What other developments have we seen that are of of big interest?

Speaker 3

好吧,我给你讲个有趣的故事。

Well, I'll tell you an interesting story on that.

Speaker 3

我有个朋友,帮助我们在1999年把公司上市。

I have a friend who helped take our company public back in '99.

Speaker 3

当他这么做时,美林证券派了人专程赶来,我就说:你们为了这位先生的这通电话特地跑一趟。

And when he did, Merrill Lynch came out on his one phone call, and I made the comment about you come out here on this guy's one phone call.

Speaker 3

他回答:是的。

And he goes, yeah.

Speaker 3

对。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

他是我们最大的客户。

He's our largest client.

Speaker 3

他去哪儿,我们就跟到哪儿。

We come out any place he wants.

Speaker 3

他大约一年前告诉我,我不记得他是买了1000万个铜币,还是价值一千万美元的旧铜币。

And he told me about a year ago that I I can't remember if he bought 10,000,000 or $10,000,000 worth of copper pennies, the older ones.

Speaker 3

可能两者都有。

And it may have been a mixture of both.

Speaker 3

我就问他,你拿这些铜币做什么?

And I said, what are you doing with them?

Speaker 3

他说,现在这些铜币都在南美洲。

He goes, well, they're in South America right now.

Speaker 3

他说,我只是在那里存放着。

He goes, I'm just storing them there.

Speaker 3

他还说,但我已经谈成了一笔交易。

Goes, but I've got a deal.

Speaker 3

我可能正和麦当劳之类的企业合作,让他们把这些铜币放进儿童餐里,每份里放五枚或十枚,让孩子们了解过去的硬币是什么样子,以及铜是什么东西。

I'm working probably with McDonald's and stuff like that where they're gonna put them in the kids meals and you're gonna get like 5 or 10 pennies in every one so kids will understand what coins used to be and what copper is and everything else.

Speaker 3

我说,你觉得这个计划能通过吗?

I said, what are the chances of getting that through?

Speaker 3

他说,我不知道。

Goes, I don't know.

Speaker 3

也许有百分之二十到三十。

Maybe 20 or 30%.

Speaker 3

他说,但你知道,这些硬币的价格会上涨,因为现在一分钱的制造成本是三到四美分,而旧的铜质一分钱制造成本也是三到四美分,但新版本的制造成本只有两到两美分半,所以他们停止生产了。

He goes, but, you know, they're gonna go up because the what happened is I think that penny now costs 3 or 4¢ to the older copper ones cost 3 or 4¢ to manufacture and the newer ones I think cost 2 to 2 and a half cents to manufacture so they quit making them.

Speaker 2

我们有一些1965年之前的50美分硬币,我正在向我儿子解释银子的概念,以及它们现在不再值50美分了。

We have some old 50¢ pieces, you know, the pre 1965 and was explaining to my son kind of the concepts of silver and how they're not worth 50¢ anymore.

Speaker 2

它们的价值要高得多。

They're worth a lot more than that.

Speaker 2

你们那边的需求情况怎么样?

What does the demand side look like for y'all?

Speaker 2

因为人们常常会 anecdotal 地谈论有多少人在出售银器、硬币之类的,但我不知道这在硬币市场上到底有多大影响。

Because you hear people kind of talk just anecdotally about the amount of people trying to sell silver, their silverware, coins or whatnot, but I don't know how much that translates into the coin market.

Speaker 2

买卖双方的兴趣平衡吗?

Is it interest, like, pretty balanced between buyers and sellers?

Speaker 2

现在的情况感觉怎么样?

What's the kinda the vibe like right now?

Speaker 3

这很有趣。

It's interesting.

Speaker 3

我会试着讲两件不同的事。

So I'll try and get to two different things.

Speaker 3

一件事是回到1980年,当时白银涨到每盎司48美元,人们排着队到钱币店出售银餐具、茶具等各种物品,因为那值很多钱。

One is back in 1980 when silver went to $48 an ounce, you had lines outside coin stores with people selling silver flatware sets and tea sets and everything else just because it was worth so much money.

Speaker 3

事实上,我有一个朋友上个月刚卖了一块劳力士日志型总统表。

In fact, I had a friend who just sold a Rolex Day Date President, like, a month ago.

Speaker 3

他说,是的,我卖了18000美元。

He goes, yeah, I got $18,000 for it.

Speaker 3

我说,那你上网查查它原本值多少钱。

I go, well, look it up online and see what it was worth.

Speaker 3

我觉得如果只是把这块表熔掉,它的金属价值大约有22000美元,比表本身还值钱。

And I think the melt value was like $22,000 Just if you melted the watch, it was worth more than what the watch was worth.

Speaker 3

所以现在有了这种90%的银币袋,市场上出现了大量这种废银,导致冶炼厂的工作严重积压。

So now with like the 90% bags, there's been so much of this junk silver and stuff that's come on the market that the smelting offices are running behind.

Speaker 3

前几天,我试图帮别人卖一袋银币,我联系了好几家经销商,最高报价也只是比白银现货价低10美元。

So the other day I was trying to sell a bag that somebody wanted me to sell, and I called several dealers and the highest price I could get was like $10 under the spot price of silver.

Speaker 3

他们以低于熔炼价值的价格收购,因为冶炼厂积压了八个月的货,根本存不下这么多进来的材料。

So they're selling at a discount to the melt value because the smelters are eight months behind and they can't store all the stuff that's coming in.

Speaker 3

所以他们现在只出每美元50美分、80美分的价格,而正常情况下会出得更高。

So they're paying 50¢ on the dollar, you know, 80¢ on the dollar, what they normally would pay.

Speaker 3

在过去四十五年里,情况大致就是这样,除非你用的是20美元金币或黄金,否则几乎没人会卖。

That's sort of what happens over the last forty five years, unless you use $20 gold pieces or gold, almost nobody would ever sell it.

Speaker 3

事实上,我刚接到一位拉斯维加斯大型赌场老板的电话,他想聊聊黄金和白银。

In fact, just got a call from a big casino owner in Vegas and he wanted to talk about gold and silver.

Speaker 3

几十年来,我从不建议任何人出售黄金或白银。

For decades, I would never have anybody sell gold or silver.

Speaker 3

他们会购买,因为价格便宜,而且想囤积起来。

They would buy it because it was cheap, and they were trying to store it.

展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
Speaker 3

以前我每天可能会接到两三个想买黄金的电话,而每个月或每两个月才有一个想卖黄金的人。

And I would probably let's say I'd get two to three calls a day of people wanting to buy gold, and I'd get one person every month or two wanting to sell gold.

Speaker 3

现在黄金的情况是,想卖黄金的人很多,想买的人也很多。

Now where gold is, you get a lot of people who are wanting to sell gold and a lot of people are wanting to buy it.

Speaker 3

所以目前市场相当平衡,因为很多人在黄金上赚了不少钱,尤其是欧洲那些从家族继承了黄金的人。

So it's pretty even right now because a lot of people have made a lot of money on it, especially the people in Europe who's, you know, they inherited it from the family.

Speaker 3

回想我一生中,当我上高中时买黄金,价格是每盎司35美元。

Realizing my lifetime that when I was in high school and I was buying gold, it was $35 an ounce.

Speaker 3

所以,金价已经上涨了150倍。

So, you know, it's gone up 150 times.

Speaker 3

这确实是一次巨大的涨幅。

You know, it's been a pretty big move.

Speaker 2

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 2

我的意思是,当你回顾本世纪甚至更早的历史时,从学术角度来看,黄金的表现优于股票和房地产投资信托基金,这开始变得相当有趣。

I mean, it starts to get into some interesting financial optimizations from the academics when you look back even this century where gold's the best performing asset over stocks, over REITs.

Speaker 2

在某个时间尺度上,历史会逐渐变成预期。

At some time horizon, the history becomes kind of the expectation.

Speaker 2

因此,从理论和心理上讲,如果你展望未来,发现黄金在现代时期的回报率并非历史上那样,而是更接近这些水平,这就给机构配置者带来了非常有趣的挑战——他们要么不配置,要么配置极少。

So theoretically, mentally, if you project out, oh, well, gold is not historically XYZ returns in the modern era, it's closer to these returns, it creates some really interesting challenges for institutional allocators that A) either don't allocate or B) allocate very little.

Speaker 2

我们的制片人提到,你有个关于一位老年绅士的好故事,你帮他卖了一些黄金。

Our producer was saying you got a good story about an older gentleman that you helped sell some gold.

Speaker 2

这能激发什么想法吗?

Does that spark any ideas?

Speaker 3

我来解释一下这个故事。

I'll explain this story.

Speaker 3

我不能告诉你他的名字,因为这根本无关紧要。

I can't tell you his name because it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Speaker 3

但我有一位客户,我想他今年94或95岁了,他已经是我多年的客户了。

But so I have a client who's I think he's 94 or 95, and he's been a client for several years.

Speaker 3

几年前,他给我打过电话,说:你知道吗,我曾在多个国家制造产品,比如中国、香港、新加坡等地。

And several years ago, he called me and goes, You know, I manufactured a lot of products out the country in China and Hong Kong and Singapore and all these different places.

Speaker 3

他说,我有一些一千克的金条。

He goes, I've got some kilo bars.

Speaker 3

他有两三个一千克的金条。

And he had like two or three kilo bars.

Speaker 3

他想把这些金条拿来换成20美元的金币,因为在我职业生涯中,20美元金币的溢价一直是黄金现货价格的两倍。

He wanted to bring them in and trade them for $20 gold pieces because the premium on $20 gold pieces for my career has been like double the spot price of gold.

Speaker 3

如果黄金是300美元,这些金币就值600美元——我不是在说成色完美的未流通硬币。

If gold was $300 they were $600 I'm not talking about brilliant uncirculated coins.

Speaker 3

我只是在说流通过的硬币。

I'm just talking about circulated coins.

Speaker 3

而现在,溢价已经和黄金鹰币差不多了。

And now the premium's like the same price as a gold eagle or something.

Speaker 3

也就是比黄金的现货价格或熔炼价值高出2%到3%。

There's 2% or 3% over the spot price of gold or the melt value.

Speaker 3

总之,他想用这些金条换20美元金币,因为它们更容易交易,他也可以在不同种类之间分散配置。

Anyway, so he wanted to trade them for 20s because they're more tradable and he can diversify them between.

Speaker 3

他不需要把32.5盎司的金条全留着,可以分一些给他的孙子孙女之类的。

Instead of having 32 and a half ounces in a gold bar, he could give some to his grandkids and things like that.

Speaker 3

所以他带了几个公斤金条过来。

So he brings in a couple of kilo bars.

Speaker 3

一个公斤金条大概和一包香烟一样大,可能还稍微薄一点。

And a kilo bar is like a size of a pack of cigarettes or something, maybe a little thinner.

Speaker 3

然后他又打电话来说,我还有五个公斤金条打算带过来。

So then he calls again and says, know, I've got five other kilo bars I'm gonna bring in.

Speaker 3

我说,好的。

I said, fine.

Speaker 3

这件事发生在过去几年里。

This was over the last couple of years.

Speaker 3

然后他给我打了电话。

And then he called me.

Speaker 3

几个月前我跟科比说起这事时,他说:范,我真的需要你的帮助。

I was telling Colby a couple of months ago and says, Van, I really need your help.

Speaker 3

我说,好的。

And I said, okay.

Speaker 3

他说,我刚想起来,三十年前中国政府关闭了我名下的那家公司。

And he goes, I just realized I had this company of the Chinese government closed on me thirty years ago.

Speaker 3

他说,负责我所有在那边制造业务并处理相关事务的律师给我打了电话,说你还有一部分黄金存放在香港和新加坡的仓库里。

He goes, and my lawyers who run all my manufacturing stuff over there and take care of stuff called me and said, you know, you still have these ounces of gold over here in storage in Hong Kong and in Singapore.

Speaker 3

他说,我完全把这事给忘了。

And he goes, I completely forgot about it.

Speaker 3

我说,好的。

And I said, okay.

Speaker 3

然后他说,但那些黄金加起来有五百六十七盎司。

And then he goes, but it's five sixty seven ounces of gold.

Speaker 3

我心里想,天啊,这可是一笔不小的收获。

I'm going, jeez, that's a nice hit.

Speaker 3

我说,没有什么比发现一堆黄金更让人高兴的了。

I said, nothing like finding a lot of gold.

Speaker 3

他说,我能把这些公斤金条寄给你吗?

And he goes, can I send you these kilo bars?

Speaker 3

我有点笑了。

And I kind of laughed.

Speaker 3

我说,当然可以。

I said, of course you can.

Speaker 3

然后他打回来问,我跟你说过我有多少吗?

And then he calls back and he goes, how much did I tell you I had?

Speaker 3

我说,5.67盎司。

I said $5.67 ounces.

Speaker 3

他说,不是,是五百六十七公斤金条。

He goes, no, it's five sixty seven kilo bars.

Speaker 3

我说,哦,所以你找到了价值七千五百万到八千万美元的黄金?

I said, oh, so you found 75 to $80,000,000 worth of gold?

Speaker 3

然后他说,不是。

And then he goes, no.

Speaker 3

对不起。

I I'm sorry.

Speaker 3

我觉得是七百六十七公斤金条。

I think it's seven sixty seven kilo bars.

Speaker 3

大约一个月后,海关给我打电话说,我们这里有三百公斤金条要入境。

And like a month later, I had customs calling me saying, you know, we've got 300 kilo bars coming through.

Speaker 3

这人是谁?

Who is this guy?

Speaker 3

我开始笑起来。

And I started laughing.

Speaker 3

我说,他就是个普通人,这确实是事实。

I said, he's just a normal guy, which is true.

Speaker 3

剩下的金条还滞留在海关,但我不知道他到底有多少。

And the rest of it is still stuck in customs, but I don't know how much he has.

Speaker 3

但他确实是找到了这些金条。

But, yeah, he just found it.

Speaker 3

我不知道该怎么处理它。

And I didn't know what to do with it.

Speaker 3

我说,如果你有喜欢的秘书,可以给她们买房子。

And I said, well, if you have secretaries you like, you can buy them houses.

Speaker 3

他有两个女孩跟着他三十年了,所以他帮她们还清了房款。

And he's got two girls that have been with him for thirty years, so he paid off both their houses.

Speaker 3

我不知道他打算怎么用这些钱。

I don't know what he's gonna do all with.

Speaker 2

我喜欢这些故事。

I love these stories.

Speaker 2

你知道,这让我想起一点,比如黄金兴趣,以及我们这些年在节目中讨论过的一些事情,听众们,如果你回听我们第一次的对话,我曾写过一篇博客文章,我说:‘好吧,范,你得帮我挑选一套入门级的硬币收藏。’

You know, it reminds me a little bit of, you know, if you look at the the gold interest and one of the things we talked about on the show over the years, listeners, if you go back to our first conversation and we did a blog post on this where I said, alright, Van, you gotta help me with the starter collection on my coins.

Speaker 2

我当时说,我们会把细节放在网站上并进行讨论。

And I was like, we'll detail it on the website and talk about it.

Speaker 2

所以对于在YouTube上观看的观众,你们可以看到我们这些小东西,但多年来我们一直保留着它们。

And so for those watching on YouTube, you can kinda see we've got these little these little guys, but we've we've held onto them over the years.

Speaker 2

所以我不知道它们今天值多少钱,但肯定比那时候高。

And so I don't know what they're worth today, but it's definitely more than then.

Speaker 3

这不一定对。

That's not necessarily that's not necessarily true.

Speaker 3

如果它们是普通的金币,价值可能更低,因为近年来一些普通金币的价格大幅下跌,但稀有金币的价格却大幅上涨。

If they're common gold coins, they may be worth less, because some of the gold coins came down quite a bit over the last years, the common things, but the rare things went up quite a bit.

Speaker 2

我们有一枚1883年的精制十美分硬币。

Well, we got a proof seeded dime from 1883.

Speaker 2

我想这是我的最古老的一枚。

I think that's my oldest one.

Speaker 2

但这里我也笑了,因为你知道,我们喜欢做一些动手研究,一直看到关于好市多在卖金条、每月都售罄的故事,说是卖了四千万什么的,我当时想这不可能吧,我试着买,结果卖光了,后来终于在网上买到了。

But also in here, was laughing because, you know, we we like to do a little bit of get your hands dirty research and we kept seeing these stories about how Costco was selling Gold Bars and they were selling out every month and it was like 40,000,000 or something and I was like, that can't be right and I tried to buy some and they were sold out and then eventually got online.

Speaker 2

我买了一条,大概是一盎司的小金条。

I bought one and this is like little one ounce.

Speaker 2

我本来以为会像唐老鸭或者史高治·麦克老鸭那样,出现巨大的金条。

I was expecting like the Donald Duck, you know, Scrooge McDuck, like real gold bars coming in like the giant.

Speaker 2

我当时就想,等等,就这小玩意儿?这就是我得到的全部?

I was like, wait, this little guy, this is all I get?

Speaker 2

但这挺搞笑的。

But it was funny.

Speaker 2

你开始看到它进入文化圈了,Supreme推出了自己的金条,诸如此类的事情。

And you're starting to see it enter the culture supreme, put out their own gold bar, all these things.

Speaker 2

如果你从几十年前就一直在圈子里,见证过几次这样的高峰和低谷,你觉得现在这种感觉如何?

And it's interesting that if you've been around, started this company decades ago and you've seen a few of these kind of peaks and valleys, what does this feel like to you?

Speaker 2

我知道在收藏界,2021年那种感觉有点像狂热——也许用词不太准确,但确实很多东西都出现了短期的峰值。

I know 2021 in the collectible world kind of felt like a euphoria being maybe the wrong word, but definitely a short term peak on a lot of things.

Speaker 2

你觉得在2026年的今天,感觉又如何?

What does it feel like now to you in 2026?

Speaker 3

这要看市场情况。

It depends on the market.

Speaker 3

比如手表。

Watches, for example.

Speaker 3

手表非常具有收藏价值。

Watches are very collectible.

Speaker 3

围绕手表有一个完整的市场,而且这是一个全球性的巨大市场。

There's a whole marketplace on them, and it's a huge marketplace worldwide.

Speaker 3

它在地球上的任何地方都可以交易。

It's tradable any place on earth.

Speaker 3

在新冠疫情期间及之后,手表价格飙升,因为像劳力士这样的公司,钟表匠无法生活在瑞士,因为那里太贵了。

During COVID and after COVID, watches just soared in price because you had a company like Rolex, the watchmakers couldn't live in Switzerland because it's too expensive.

Speaker 3

所以他们住在德国。

So they lived in Germany.

Speaker 3

因此,如果他们来工作并制造手表,就必须进入休眠状态。

So if they came to work and build watches, they'd have to hibernate.

Speaker 3

你可能需要在酒店里休眠三十天、五天或七天。

Maybe you had to hibernate in a hotel for thirty days or five days or seven days.

Speaker 3

然后他们工作七到十天,之后又回到德国,再休眠五到十天。

And then they'd work for seven to ten days, then they'd go back to Germany and have to hibernate for five to ten days.

Speaker 3

因此,据我了解,生产曾中断了三到六个月,之后产量下降了约80%。

And so the production, they stopped for like three to six months was my understanding, then the production was down about 80%.

Speaker 3

所以,现代手表的溢价急剧上涨。

So the premiums on more modern watches soared in price.

Speaker 3

如今,收藏级古董手表的溢价非常非常强劲。

Now the premium on collectible vintage watches is very, very strong.

Speaker 3

我不是被提供,而是……

I was offered not offered.

Speaker 3

前几天有个经销商给我打电话,说:我有一块表。

I had a dealer call me the other day and goes, I've got this watch.

Speaker 3

它只要39.5万美元,我说:天啊,我真不敢相信。

It's only $395,000 And I said, jeez, I can't believe that.

Speaker 3

但那是一块非常稀有的手表。

But it was a really rare watch.

Speaker 3

我还恭喜他买了这块表,等等。

And I was congratulating him on buying it and everything else.

Speaker 3

第二天我就给他打了电话。

And I called him the next day.

Speaker 3

我说,你觉得你多久能卖出去?

I said, how long do you think it'll take you to sell it?

Speaker 3

他说,我昨天就卖掉了。

He goes, I sold it yesterday.

Speaker 3

他说,有三四个买家会买这块表。

He goes, I got three or four guys who will buy that.

Speaker 3

所以他们是真正愿意为昂贵物品买单的买家。

So they're serious buyers for very expensive things.

Speaker 3

所以当时的狂热集中在手表上。

So the euphoria was in watches.

Speaker 3

这种狂热也体现在体育纪念品上,你知道的,我不太理解。

The euphoria is also in sports memorabilia, which, you know, I don't understand.

Speaker 3

大卫和我在1983年创办了一家公司。

David and I started a company back in 1983.

Speaker 3

我记得当时叫美国卡片交易所,我们做的是买卖报价市场,也就是说,我们会公布我们的价格。

Think it was called American Card Exchange where we made a bid ask market, in other words, and we put out our prices.

Speaker 3

我们愿意出一千美元收购,卖价是11.5美元一张卡片,你知道的,像300张30美元的卡片之类的,各种各样的东西。

We'll pay a thousand, we'll sell for $11.50 card, you know, on a list of coins or cards, you know, 300 at 3 thirty, different things like that.

Speaker 3

从那以后,这个市场简直疯了。

And the market since then has just gone insane.

Speaker 3

大约一个月前,我一个朋友给我打电话,他经营一家大型体育拍卖公司,他说:我刚卖了一张罗伯托·克莱门特的新秀卡,1955年的罗伯托·克莱门特新秀卡,由你们公司PSA评级。

Like about a month ago, one of my friends called me who owns a big sports auction company, and he said, I just sold a Roberto Clemente rookie card, 1955 Roberto Clemente rookie card rated by your company, PSA.

Speaker 3

PSA是一家我们创办的体育卡片评级公司。

PSA is a sports card grading company that we opened.

Speaker 3

于是我问:这张卡值多少钱?

And I said, how much is that worth?

Speaker 3

他说:它的评级是10分。

He goes, well, it's graded 10.

Speaker 3

你知道的,你们总共只评出过两张10分的。

And, know, you've only graded two of them in 10.

Speaker 3

我说,是的,那还是1955年的。

I said, yeah, it was still 1955.

Speaker 3

这可不是那种价值18美元、所有品相加起来只有13张的情况。

It's not it's not like a $18.00 $4 where there's only 13 known in all grades.

Speaker 3

你知道,这种卡片当年生产了数百万张,现在市面上依然有数百万张,品相各异。

You know, this is a card where they made millions, and there's still millions of them out there in a variety of grades.

Speaker 3

他问,那卖了多少钱?

Said, what'd that go for?

Speaker 3

他说,我卖了两千万元。

He goes, I got 20,000,000 for it.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

然后天哪。

And then Lord have mercy.

Speaker 3

前几天又有个卡片经销商给我打电话,说,你想买一张1909年的霍纳斯·瓦格纳卡片吗?

Then I had another card dealer call me the other day, and he said, do you want to buy a Honus Wagner t two zero six?

Speaker 3

我说,不买。

And I said, no.

Speaker 3

你知道,它们的价格涨得太高了。

You know, they've gone up too much.

Speaker 3

我不知道那张是名人堂卡片之一。

I don't which is one of the hall of fame cards.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,它是其中最稀有的卡片之一。

I mean, it's one of the all one of the rarest cards.

Speaker 3

我说,它品相怎么样?

And I said, how nice is it?

Speaker 3

他说,嗯,它被评级为很高。

He goes, well, it's graded real.

Speaker 3

我说,你什么意思?

And I said, what do you mean?

Speaker 3

他说,嗯,你们公司给它评的级很高。

He goes, well, your company graded it real.

Speaker 3

我说,它值多少钱?

And I said, how much is it?

Speaker 3

他说,一百万美元。

Goes, a million bucks.

Speaker 3

我说,一百万美元?

I said, a million bucks.

Speaker 3

我说,它哪里有问题?

I said, what's wrong with it?

Speaker 3

看起来应该值更多才对。

Seems like it'd be worth more than that.

Speaker 3

他说,这只有一半张卡片。

He goes, well, there's only half a card.

Speaker 3

他说,被切掉了。

He goes, it's cut off.

Speaker 3

他说,这张卡被撕成两半,下半部分不见了。

And he goes, it's been torn in half and the bottom half is missing.

Speaker 3

我说,一百万美元?

I said, million bucks?

Speaker 3

他说,是的,只是想让你知道,我已经卖掉了。

He goes, yeah, just to let you know, I already sold it.

Speaker 3

以一百万美元的价格。

For a million dollars.

Speaker 3

所以有些体育纪念品还在热卖,对此我并不否认。

So some of the sports memorabilia is still on fire, which I don't argue for.

Speaker 2

我认为科比说过,关于卡片,你在2021年本地峰值卖出了43张超过一百万美元的卡片,但到2026年,我们已经达到了29张。

I think Colby said that for the cards, you had a local peak of 43 cards that sold for over 1,000,000 in 2021, but 2026, we're already at 29.

Speaker 2

我们连第一季度都还没过完。

We're not even one quarter in.

Speaker 2

如果我们保持这个趋势,应该会打破百万级别的纪录,这太惊人了。

So if we continue on, we should shatter that sort of over a million level, which is astonishing.

Speaker 2

这总是让我感到惊讶。

It's always astonishing to me.

Speaker 2

这不仅仅是棒球卡,现在还有宝可梦卡和各种其他收藏品。

It's like not just baseball cards, you got Pokemon cards and all sorts of other collectibles today.

Speaker 3

关于这一点,我想说两点。

So two things on that.

Speaker 3

在体育卡市场上,价格低于十万美元的卡片其实很难卖出去。

On the sports card market, the things under, like, a $100,000 are really difficult to sell.

Speaker 3

价格超过十万美金的卡片则非常容易变现。

The cards that are over a 100,000 are very, very liquid.

Speaker 3

关于宝可梦卡,据我了解,现在PSA每月鉴定的宝可梦卡数量已经超过体育卡,包括棒球、橄榄球和篮球卡。

The Pokemon cards, PSA, my understanding now is they grade more Pokemon cards every month than they do sports cards, which includes baseball, football, basketball.

Speaker 3

所以宝可梦卡是一种全球性的现象,人人都在争相入场。

So the Pokemon card is a worldwide phenomenon that everybody is jumping in on.

Speaker 3

但我不会。

Not me.

Speaker 3

我还没聪明到能入场参与的地步。

I'm not smart enough to jump in on them.

Speaker 3

但说实话,让我花一万美元甚至一百万美元去买一张纸板,我实在难以接受。

But I mean, it's hard for me to pay 10,000 or 1,000,000 for a piece of cardboard.

Speaker 3

我不是说这是个糟糕的投资。

I'm not saying it's a bad investment.

Speaker 3

我只是说我自己很难接受这一点。

I'm just saying I have difficulty with it.

Speaker 2

我几年前曾有一个问题,你可以帮我们梳理一下:在录音开始前,我们聊过钻石,人们从购买天然钻石转向了实验室培育钻石,显然技术进步让后者便宜多了。

One of the questions I had years ago, and you can kinda walk us through on this, Before the start of recording listeners, we were talking about diamonds and how there's been a big shift from people buying natural diamonds to lab grade diamonds, obviously much cheaper technologies catching up.

Speaker 2

上次我们聊天时,我问过你,现在还有人给这些卡片做鉴定吗?

And I asked you last time we chatted, said, are people still grading these cards at all?

Speaker 2

我觉得电脑就能完成这项工作,而自从我们上次聊天后,AI有了巨大发展,但你当时说,我们三十年前就已经在做这件事了,还有一些有趣的观察。

Like I feel like a computer could do it and since we chatted last time, we've had this big AI push and everything and you were like, but we were doing this thirty years ago and had some interesting observations.

Speaker 2

你的看法有改变吗?

Has your opinion changed at all?

Speaker 2

人们现在还想要人工鉴定师吗?还是你觉得这种情况可能会开始转变?

Do people still want a human grader or is that something that you think might start to shift a little bit?

Speaker 3

好吧,你提到的这种事,我们曾经有个自称是计算机天才的人,能够鉴定硬币,他确实做到了。

Well, what you're talking about, we had a guy who was computer genius supposedly be able to grade coins, which he could.

Speaker 3

我们把他安排在比格熊山上的一间小屋里,他在那里住了两年开发这个系统。

We put him in a cabin up in Big Bear, and he lived there for two years developing this thing.

Speaker 3

这台计算机每枚硬币能进行大约220万次计算,耗时仅四秒。

And the computer would do, think I it was 2,200,000 calculations in four seconds on every coin.

Speaker 3

我们可以鉴定硬币,然后把它拖在车后,再放到计算机前重新检测。

And we could grade the coin, then we could take it and drag it behind a car and put it in front of the computer again.

Speaker 3

它会说:‘之前是MS 63,现在受损了。’

It would say, used to be MS 63, now is damaged.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,它能记住每一个细节。

I mean, it would remember every single thing.

Speaker 3

所以我们确实有这台计算机,但行业并不喜欢它,因为大多数收藏家其实都是赌徒,他们买硬币时,总觉得自己手里的那枚在心理上价值更高、评级也更高,而我们给的评级没那么高。

So we had this computer, but the industry didn't like it because most collectors are just gamblers, and they wanna buy a coin and the one they have their money in is, in their mind, worth more and graded higher than what we graded it.

Speaker 3

所以我以前管这叫PCGS彩票,他们进去的时候,就像在买彩票一样。

So there's I used to call it PCGS Lotto where they'd go in and it's like a lottery ticket form.

Speaker 3

他们会买下硬币,然后送回来要求重新评级。

They'd buy coins and send them to us for regrade.

Speaker 3

有些硬币我们见过,你知道的,十次、二十次、三十次。

Some coins we've seen, you know, ten, twenty, 30 times.

Speaker 3

事实上,有一次我卖了一枚硬币给一位经销商,他在上面贴了张标签,写了个‘11’。

In fact, one dealer I sold a coin to one time and he wrote, put a sticker on it, put 11.

Speaker 3

我说:‘你可没花1100美元买这枚硬币吧。’

I said, well, you didn't pay $1,100 for that.

Speaker 3

他说:‘没有。’

He goes, no.

Speaker 3

没有。

No.

Speaker 3

我会反复重新评级11次,才肯以同样等级出售,因为我坚信它最终会升一级。

I'll regrade this 11 times before I just sell it at the same grade because I'm convinced it'll go up a grade.

Speaker 2

你觉得人工智能在未来能否达到甚至超越我们现在的水平?

Do you think AI has the ability to get as good or or to start to do this in today as we go into the future?

Speaker 2

评级系统最终会开始由AI辅助,甚至完全由AI来操作吗?

Will either the grading systems start to be AI assist or totally AI at some point?

Speaker 3

这很有趣。

It's funny.

Speaker 3

几天前,有个软件工程师给我打过电话,就是关于这个事。

I just had a software guy call me a couple of days ago on this.

Speaker 3

我想应该是上个星期四。

I guess it was last Thursday.

Speaker 3

他问我,我该怎么设置这个系统?

And he was asking me, he goes, how can I set this up?

Speaker 3

他说,因为我们正在研究这个方向,而且是一家大型软件公司。

He goes, because this is one of the things we're looking at, and it's a big software company.

Speaker 3

他问我,我就说,那你具体想做什么?

And he go and I said, well, tell me what you're looking to do.

Speaker 3

他说,我们就以硬币或棒球卡为例吧。

He goes, well, let's just use coins as an example or baseball cards.

Speaker 3

我说,根据我们过去的做法,我相信你可以给他们119美元的9枚SVDB分币,让摄像头观察所有硬币,识别出它们的成色,并在一段时间后通过人工智能完成硬币的评级。

And I said, well, based on what we used to do before, I said, I'm convinced you could give them a $119.00 9 SVDB pennies and the camera could look at all of them and realize the grades of all of them and over a period of time end up being able to grade the coins with AI.

Speaker 3

如今的人工智能,其智能水平可能是二十五年或三十年前我们做这件事时的上千倍。

And AI now is probably a multiple of a thousand times smarter than it was when we were doing it twenty five years ago or thirty years.

Speaker 3

我想大概是二十五年前或三十年前,我们有了能为硬币评级的计算机。

I think it was twenty five or thirty years ago we had the computer that could grade coins.

Speaker 3

所以我认为它可能会朝这个方向发展,但其中涉及很多变量。

So I think it may go to that, but there's a lot of variables.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,作为收藏家或经销商,我看硬币时,当我们设定标准时,除非你使用‘未流通状态65级’这种相当高的未流通硬币等级,否则硬币还分为A、B、C、D四个质量等级。

I mean, as a collector or a dealer, I look at coins and so when we set up the standard, unless you use a grade brilliant uncirculated mint state 65, which is a pretty high grade of a brilliant uncirculated coin, there's a, b, c and d quality coins.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,有些A级硬币在该等级中堪称完美,而有些硬币虽然评级为65级,但实际质量却像D级,因为它们只是尚可,但并不出色。

I mean, there's a's that are spectacular for the grade and there's coins at grade 65, but they're like D because they're they're okay, but they're not great.

Speaker 3

所以我们后来推出了MS 60级的所有等级,以及MS 65级以上的等级。

So then we came up with an MS 60 all grades, but MS 65 plus.

Speaker 3

换句话说,这将评定为65.78或65.9这样的高分段等级。

In other words, that would grade 65.78 or nine, which was a higher end.

Speaker 3

所以我相信,未来的计算机将能够改变市场,这让我有点害怕,因为我也不确定。

So I'm sure the computers going forward will be able to change the marketplace, which kind of scares me because I don't know.

Speaker 3

我觉得真正出色的硬币可能会因此一飞冲天,而那些普通低品相的硬币则会面临困难。

I think really great coins are gonna could go to the moon based on that and the common low grade stuff, you know, will have trouble.

Speaker 2

你可以再展开一点,谈谈你认为如今特别有趣的领域。

You can expand this a little bit and talk about any areas that you think are particularly interesting today.

Speaker 2

这不仅可以限于硬币。

And this could be not just coins.

Speaker 2

也可以是小刀。

It could be pocket knives.

Speaker 2

我知道你多年来收藏过各种各样的东西。

I know you've collected all sorts of different stuff over the years.

Speaker 2

现在有什么东西特别吸引你吗?

Anything looking particularly interesting to you right now?

Speaker 3

被低估的东西。

Undervalued things.

Speaker 3

我认为稀有硬币可能是目前最高等级、精心挑选的稀有硬币中最具性价比、被严重低估的物品之一。

I think rare coins are probably one of the most high grade, nice selected rare coins are by far one of the most underpriced or best value items right now.

Speaker 3

有些物品价格偏低但没人关注,比如折刀,我就拿这个举例。

Items that are underpriced but nobody cares about, pocket knives, I'll use that as an example.

Speaker 3

我买折刀,也收藏折刀。

I buy pocket knives, collect pocket knives.

Speaker 3

我不卖它们。

I don't sell them.

Speaker 3

我不知道有谁会从我这里买它们。

I don't know anybody who I'd sell them to.

Speaker 3

利润太低了。

The margins are terrible.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,我知道当我从经销商那里购买时,他们的定价体系是怎样的。

I mean, I I know when I buy them from dealers, know their pricing code.

Speaker 3

如果他们以500美元买进一把刀,再以1000美元卖给我,他们的利润率就是100%。

If they buy a knife for 500 and they sell it to me for 1,000, they're making a 100%.

Speaker 3

我就说,你根本不能这么做。

And I'm like, you just can't do that.

Speaker 3

但如果你真想买的话,情况就是这样。

But that's what that's what it is if I wanna buy them.

Speaker 3

如果我不想买,还有二十个来自肯塔基的家伙愿意买。

And if I don't wanna buy them, there's 20 other guys from Kentucky who do wanna buy them.

Speaker 3

所以小刀是被低估的物品。

So pocket knives are an undervalued thing.

Speaker 3

问题是当你想出售收藏时,收藏家太少了。

The problem is when you go to sell the collection for there's not enough collectors.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,你见过我家,我的收藏可能已经翻了一倍甚至三倍了。

I mean, have way too many you've been in my house and I've probably doubled or tripled this.

Speaker 3

我可能有一千到一千五百把甚至更多的小刀,都是二十世纪、三十年代、四十年代、五十年代和十八世纪以来的全新品相。

Probably have a thousand or 1,500 or more pocket knives that are all brand new condition from the twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, and the eighteen hundreds.

Speaker 3

古董枪械的价格已经涨了不少,但同样,只有真正顶级的藏品才涨得厉害。

Antique firearms are have moved up quite a bit, but there again, it's really great stuff that have moved up.

Speaker 3

我一直以来都是老温彻斯特杠杆式步枪和柯尔特单发式步枪这类物品的收藏者。

And I've always been a collector of old Winchester lever actions and Colt single actions and stuff like that.

Speaker 3

温彻斯特杠杆式步枪,你知道的,比如1873年、1876年生产的枪,还有像亨利步枪之类的。

The Winchester lever actions, they you know, you have the guns that were made in 1873, 1876, and '18 like a Henry rifle and things like that.

Speaker 3

这一类高品质枪械的价格已经涨了很多。

That area of really high quality guns has gone up a lot.

Speaker 3

1932年和1933年,他们重新设计了很多枪支,推出了更新、更现代的杠杆式步枪,这些设计基于约翰·勃朗宁的专利等等。

They redesigned a lot of guns in 1932 and '33 and they came out with different lever action guns that were more updated, more modern kind of on John Browning's patents and things like that.

Speaker 3

这些枪支的表现还不错,但不算特别出色。

Those guns have done okay, but not great.

Speaker 3

但我可以给你举个例子。

But I'll give you an example.

Speaker 3

我很久以前买了一把1876年的温彻斯特长步枪,当时是全新的,我坚信它可能是世界上最顶尖的之一,甚至就是最顶尖的。

I bought a 1876 Winchester long years ago that was brand new and I was convinced it was like one of the finest in the world, if not the finest.

Speaker 3

我为它花了27,000美元。

And I paid $27,000 for it.

Speaker 3

几年后,我的一个朋友说,我想看看它。

And several years later, one of my friends says, you know, I wanna see it.

Speaker 3

我说,我不能卖给你。

And I said, well, I can't sell it to you.

Speaker 3

他说,不,我不是要买,我只是想看看。

He goes, no, know, but I wanna see it.

Speaker 3

我说,不,你看了就会想买。

I said, no, you'll wanna buy it.

Speaker 3

我不打算卖它。

I don't wanna sell it.

Speaker 3

不管怎样,他最终还是看了它,然后坐在那里仔细端详。

Anyway, he ends up looking at it, and then he's sitting there looking at it.

Speaker 3

然后他把枪还给了我。

And he hands it back to me.

Speaker 3

他问我,你打算怎么处理它?

He goes, what are you gonna do with it?

Speaker 3

我盯着他看。

And I'm looking at him.

Speaker 3

我惊讶于它竟然如此精美,因为我喜欢他。

I'm amazed at how nice it is because I like him.

Speaker 3

我拿着它在卧室或这个房间的阳光下端详。

I'm holding it in the sunlight in my bedroom or this room.

Speaker 3

我说,这是一件很棒的传家宝。

And I said, you know, it's a great heirloom.

Speaker 3

这是那种应该留给孩子们的东西。

It's one of those things to leave to my kids.

Speaker 3

我说,这是一件了不起的美国历史文物,等等。

I said it's a great piece of Americana history and everything else.

Speaker 3

我说,这全是手工制作的。

I said it's all handmade.

Speaker 3

这些是工具。

These were tools.

Speaker 3

它们没有被保存下来。

They weren't saved.

Speaker 3

这个是全新状态,制造于1879年。

This one's in brand new condition made in '18 it was made in 1879.

Speaker 3

总之,他问,这东西值多少钱?

Anyway, he goes, I mean, what's it worth?

Speaker 3

我说,我不知道,三万五千到四万美元吧。

I said, I don't know, 35,000, 40,000.

Speaker 3

我说,我几年前花两万七千美元买的。他问,如果有人想坑我,这东西能值多少?

I said, I bought it years ago for 27,000 He goes, I mean, if somebody went to screw me, how how much would it be worth?

Speaker 3

我说,我不知道。

I said, I don't know.

Speaker 3

他说,不是的。

He goes, no.

Speaker 3

如果你打算坑我,我可以告你。

If if you were gonna overcharge me, I could sue you.

Speaker 3

我说,我开始笑起来了。

I said, I started laughing.

Speaker 3

我说,我不知道,六万美元。

I said, I don't know, 60,000.

Speaker 3

他说,我给你九万美元。

He goes, I'll give you 90,000.

Speaker 3

我公文包里有现金,如果你要卖的话。

I've got cash in my briefcase if you wanna sell it.

Speaker 3

所以,给你吧。

So here you go.

Speaker 3

你知道吗,那是二十七年前的事了。

You know, it's twenty seven years ago.

Speaker 3

我说,我不能以这个价格拥有它。

I go, well, I can't own it for that.

Speaker 3

它值太多了。

It was worth too much.

Speaker 3

所以它最近在几年前的拍卖会上售出了,我当时觉得它值35万,也就是当时的价值,35到40万之间。

So it recently sold an auction a couple of years ago and realized I thought it was worth 35, which is what it was worth at the time, 35 to 40.

Speaker 3

他需要它。

He'd need it.

Speaker 3

他说,他是个亿万富翁。

He goes, I'd go my he was a billionaire.

Speaker 3

他说,他说,我这一辈子都再也找不到第二个了。

He goes, he goes, I'd go my whole life and never find another one.

Speaker 3

所以他讲,你知道,它对我来说是值得的,因为我早上起床赚的比这还多。

So he goes, you know, it's worth it to me because I make more than this getting up in the morning.

Speaker 3

所以这把枪几年前在拍卖会上以大约23万美元的价格售出,然后大约五六个月前又出现了一把。

So the gun sold an auction for, I think, 230,000 a couple of years ago, then another one popped up about six months ago or five months ago.

Speaker 3

拍卖公司给我打了电话,问我:‘你想竞拍这把吗?’

And the auction company called me and they said, do you want to bid on this?

Speaker 3

我说:‘不。'

I said, no.

Speaker 3

我说,这超出了我的预算,而且已经以32万美元卖出去了。

I said, it's you out of my price range and it's sold for 320,000.

Speaker 3

所以,那些真正精美、高品相的枪械——无论是欧洲猎枪、温彻斯特步枪,还是高品相的柯尔特手枪,只要是收藏品,都非常抢手,但它们的价格已经大幅上涨。

So the really fine high grade, whether they're European shotguns or Winchester rifles or high grade Colts or things that are collectible are very desirable, but they have moved up in price.

Speaker 3

体育卡牌我很难评估它们的价值,因为它们涨得太厉害了。

Sports cards, I have trouble with the values just because they've gone up so much.

Speaker 2

这真是个绝佳的教训,你知道吗?这同样适用于股票,当你看一家公司时,会想,嘿,我觉得它的估值应该是这样,但如果有人愿意出双倍甚至三倍的价格,你有什么资格说不呢?

That's such a great lesson, you know, is that you have I mean, this applies to stocks too, you know, where you look at a company, say, hey, this is what I think the valuation is, but if there's somebody out there willing to pay double or triple, who are you to say?

Speaker 2

在某种程度上,这对所有持有资产的人来说都是个挑战——无论是交易员、投资者还是收藏家,你都该提前想好一个价格点:嘿,我会放手吗?

And at some point, that's the challenge for all of us holding onto anything as a trader, as someone investor collector, there's a price that you should think about ahead of time where you're like, hey, would I let this go?

Speaker 2

有些东西你可能会说,看,我永远不会卖它,不管怎样。

And there's some things you may say, look, I'll never sell this, whatever.

Speaker 2

但在其他情况下,有人就像你提到的那样,对价格不敏感,也不太在意谈判过程。

But in other cases, there's someone out there who, like you mentioned, the person who's not particularly price sensitive on what the negotiation might be.

Speaker 2

你最大的遗憾是什么?这可能会让你触景生情,但有没有哪件东西你放走了,结果它的价值却一飞冲天?这肯定排得上号。

What would be your biggest this may be too painful to give you PTSD, but something that you kind of let go and then kind of went went vertical is is that that's gotta be up there.

Speaker 2

不。

No.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,尤其是在硬币方面,我卖过很多珍贵的硬币,我记得有一位客户发明了CADCAM计算机软件,我卖给他一套1793年的花环硬币。

I mean, especially in coins, you know, mean, I've sold so many great coins and I, I remember that one of my clients invented CADCAM computer software and I sold them a 1793 wreath set.

Speaker 3

那大概是85年或86年左右,卖了五万美元。后来这枚硬币在几年前以230万美元或130万美元——我记不太清了——的价格售出。

This would have been in, I want to say '85, '86, something like that for $50,000 And the coin sold a couple years ago for, I heard 2,300,000.0 or 1,300,000.0 or some.

Speaker 3

那并不是我会保留的东西。

It wasn't anything I would have kept.

Speaker 3

我收藏和购买两类不同的东西。

I collect and buy two different things.

Speaker 3

第一类,是我真正喜欢的东西。

One, I collect things I really like.

Speaker 3

我喜欢手工制作的、实用的工具,比如小刀、枪械之类的。

And I like things that are handmade, you know, that were functional tools like a pocket knife, a gun, you know, things like that.

Speaker 3

我还会收集那些被过度炒作但价格太低的东西。

And I also collect things that are too oversold and they're too cheap.

Speaker 2

上次我们聊天时,我一直在思考一件事,你在一些如今出售的收藏品上也能看到这种现象——我们几年前在你家时,曾讨论过哪些收藏品会成为下一代人渴望的物品。

When we chatted last time, one of the things I think a lot about and you see a little bit on some of the collectibles that sell today, where we were talking, we were your house years ago and we're talking about like, you know, hey, thinking about collectibles that'll be desirable for the next generation.

Speaker 2

就是那些他们小时候特别向往的东西。

So things that they coveted when they were kids.

Speaker 2

所以你现在开始看到像未拆封的iPod,或者未拆封的超级马里奥任天堂游戏这类东西,这些都是我曾经亲身体验过的。

And so you're starting to see things like, hey, this is an unwrapped iPod or this is an unwrapped Super Mario Nintendo game, things that I would have could have experienced.

Speaker 2

但正如你提到的,其他国家和人口群体的兴衰,比如中国人、美洲原住民,或者那些资金流入或流出的人群。

But also, as you mentioned a little waxing and waning of other countries and demographics, whether it's Chinese, Native American, or people that are coming into and out of money.

Speaker 2

你认为有哪些趋势或领域特别有趣?或者你看到全球范围内资金开始特别关注哪些方向?

What are some trends or areas that you think are particularly interesting or that you're seeing kind of money really start to focus on globally as well?

Speaker 2

可能是钱币。

It could be coins.

Speaker 2

也可能只是,比如我们正看到大量印度资金涌入,因为这个国家正在崛起,或者有很多人突然富裕起来。

It could just be, you know, hey, we're seeing a ton of Indian money come in because the country is really ascending or a lot of people coming into money.

Speaker 2

随便吧。

Whatever.

Speaker 2

随便你怎么说。

Take it any any direction.

Speaker 3

其中一个一直很受欢迎、而且可能还会继续受欢迎的领域是复古手表和收藏手表,尽管我觉得这些东西的价格已经涨了不少。

One of the areas that's been very popular and probably is gonna remain very popular, although I think a lot of this stuff has gone up quite a bit in prices, you know, vintage watches and collectible watches.

Speaker 3

有趣的是,所谓新复古风格其实是来自80年代的。

Funny part is neo vintage is like from the '80s.

Speaker 3

这其实算不上古老。

It's not really old.

Speaker 3

在钱币方面,我基本上不碰二战之后的东西。

Mean, in coins, I really don't handle much after World War II.

Speaker 3

所以对我来说,它们都是新产品。

So to me, they're new products.

Speaker 3

你当然可以买20年代制造的手表,但它们很难维修,因为零配件都找不到了。

And you can't really you can, but if you buy watches that were made in the '20s, they're hard to get repaired because they don't have parts and things like that.

Speaker 3

旧的怀表实际上被严重低估了。

And old pocket watches old pocket watches are actually very underpriced.

Speaker 3

它们几乎没有什么市场。

There's just almost no market for them.

Speaker 3

但在这方面你必须专业化。

But in those you have to specialize.

Speaker 3

几周前我本来打算竞拍一块,结果那人把拍卖结果发给了我。

Like I I was gonna bid on one a couple of weeks ago and the guy just sent me the results of this auction.

Speaker 3

有一块旧的黄金猎表,意思是金制表壳可以打开,而在12点、3点、6点和9点的位置,我想是国王、A、皇后、杰克,也就是扑克牌的图案。

There was an old gold hunter's case which meant, you know, the gold case opened and and they're in on the the 12, the three, the six, and the nine were I think it was king, ace, queen, jack, you know, playing cards on it.

Speaker 3

那是一块为老赌徒定制的旧表。

Was an old gambler's watch that he had made.

Speaker 3

像这样的东西非常受欢迎。

I mean, things like that are very desirable.

Speaker 2

你和这么多人交谈过,我们在这档播客里没提到过,但你接触过那么多亿万富翁和名人。

You talk to so many people and we don't talk about on this pod, but so many billionaires and famous people that you talk to.

Speaker 2

这总是很有趣,因为你的生活节奏和我不一样,你知道的,关于新闻、你接触的人以及他们在做什么。

It's just it's always interesting because you're in a different flow than I am on, you know, news and who you're talking to and what they're doing.

Speaker 3

确实很有趣。

It is interesting.

Speaker 3

现在很多人,我一个来自国外的朋友跟我说,你觉得iPhone怎么样?

A lot of the people today, one of my friends who is from out of the country, he was saying to me, he goes, what do think about iPhones?

Speaker 3

我说,我的手机简直让人头疼。

And I go, well, mine's a pain in the ass.

Speaker 3

我不确定。

I don't know.

Speaker 3

我总是用不好这玩意儿,发短信也老出问题。

You know, I always have trouble working the thing and I have trouble texting and everything.

Speaker 3

他说,不,我一直在收藏它们。

He goes, no, I've been collecting them.

Speaker 3

我说,可这东西太多了。

And I said, well, there's so many.

Speaker 3

他说,我知道,我不记得他有没有说他有四个或五个。

He goes, I know I've got I can't remember if he said he's got four or five of them.

Speaker 3

那些最初的iPhone,还原封不动地装在盒子里,没打开过——回到你刚才提到的关于未开封产品的问题。

The first iPhone ones that are still sealed in the box never opened, back to your question where you were just talking about sealed products.

Speaker 3

我说,那些值多少钱?

And I said, what are those worth?

Speaker 3

他说,我第一个花了七万,第二个花了八万,因为我觉得第三个花了六万,第四个花了五万左右。

He goes, well, I paid 70,000 for my first one, 80,000 for my second one because I think I paid 60,000 for my third one and 50,000 for my fourth one or something.

Speaker 3

他说,我只是买它们,因为我觉得它们会成为历史。

He goes, I just buy them because I think they're gonna go down his history.

Speaker 3

我的一个客户实际上是苹果公司排名前三或前四的人物。

And one of one of my clients is actually one of the top three or four people in Apple.

Speaker 3

我跟他说了这事,他直接笑起来了。

And I told him and he just started laughing.

Speaker 3

他说,嗯,这大概是真的。

He goes, well, that's probably true.

Speaker 3

你知道,人们往往会收集他们成长过程中接触的东西。

You know, people tend to collect what they grew up with.

Speaker 3

我们往往听的是自己成长时的音乐。

We tend to listen to the music we grew up with.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,我当然不会在八十岁的时候还听泰德·肯尼迪或者肯尼迪乐队之类的音乐,不管那是什么。

I mean, you know, I'm not necessarily gonna be listening to the Ted Kennedy or the Kennedys or you know, the Ted Kennedy band or whatever when I'm in my eighties.

Speaker 3

不过现在离那时候也不远了。

Although that's not that far away now.

Speaker 3

我可能会吧。

I may be.

Speaker 3

不会。

No.

Speaker 3

我不听。

I don't.

Speaker 3

但是

But

Speaker 2

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 2

你可能会。

You might.

Speaker 3

人们往往会收集自己成长过程中熟悉的东西。

You tend to collect what you knew growing up with and stuff.

Speaker 3

我觉得,但很多大笔资金——据我了解,有三个人。

And I think but a lot of the a lot of the big money, I know there's a couple of guys who are my understanding is three guys.

Speaker 3

我认识其中一位,和他们谈过好几次,他们非常非常富有,有自己的私人飞机等等,据说他们正在筹备一个钱币博物馆,想收购全球各种类型的钱币。

I know one of them, and I've talked to them several times, are very, very wealthy, you know, with their own jets and everything, and they're supposed to be putting together a money museum trying to buy all the different coins, I think worldwide of every variety and every type.

Speaker 3

一位加拿大的大矿主曾经——我不能说出他的名字,但多年前他第一次联系我时说,他想建立一个博物馆,收藏世界上所有曾对黄金产生过影响的硬币。

And a big mining guy in Canada one time who's I can't say his name, but when he first approached me years ago, he said, just wanna put together a museum of every coin worldwide that's ever made a difference in gold.

Speaker 3

我说,你什么意思?

And I said, what do you mean?

Speaker 3

他说,每个国家,所有种类。

He goes, every country, everything.

Speaker 3

他自己已经创建了一个相当庞大的收藏品收藏。

And he's created a pretty big museum collection of his own.

Speaker 3

这并不是一个对公众开放的博物馆,但另外那三位人士正计划建造一座钱币博物馆,我猜可能会在南卡罗来纳州或类似的地方,让公众能够进去参观各种各样的货币,因为货币是世界上每个人围绕的核心,而看到货币的不同形态非常有意思。

It's not a museum that anybody can go to, but this other group of three guys, they're actually going to build a money museum, I'm guessing in South Carolina or someplace like that to where the public can go in and see all the different types of money because money is really the number one thing in the world that everybody rotates around and seeing the different forms of money.

Speaker 3

你知道,过去印第安人用的是珠子之类的东西。

You know, it used to be beads with Indians and things like that.

Speaker 2

这是个很棒的主意。

That's a great idea.

Speaker 2

我们总是会想到一些具有多重用途的有趣点子。

We always think about these fun kind of ideas where there's multiple purposes.

Speaker 2

曾经有一家叫Rally的公司,主要从事证券化拍卖,我记得他们一度被收购了,但现在又重新启动了。看看他们做的一些事情挺有趣的,他们似乎在纽约设有一个展示厅,有些公司会说:嘿,我们或许可以通过这些收藏品获得额外的替代性收入,同时还能让它们变成不仅吸引兴趣、还能让人前来参观的东西。

There was a company called Rally that was doing a lot of auctions for securitizing and I think they got recapped and then they're starting again, but it's fun to watch some of the things they do, but they were kind of had a, I think, a New York showroom and there's some of these companies they're like, hey, you know, we can maybe get some additional alternatives income on maybe having these collectibles but also potentially making it something that not only drives the interest but that people could come see.

Speaker 2

我仍然认为,在收藏品领域,尤其是钱币方面,可能还存在一些封闭式基金的空间,这让我感到惊讶的是至今尚未发展起来。

I still think there's probably some closed end fun room for collectibles particularly on the coin side that I'm surprised hasn't developed.

Speaker 3

过去确实发生过。

It's happened in the past.

Speaker 3

曾经有公司或银行,比如美林,组建了一个基金,专门收购大量硬币,你可以投资这个基金,但那个家伙后来进了监狱。

There's been company or banks and stuff Merrill Lynch put together a fund and where they would build a big portfolio of coins and you could invest in the fund and and the guy went to prison.

Speaker 3

我现在想不起他叫什么名字了。

I can't remember what his name was now.

Speaker 3

他曾经在八九十年代拥有过国王队,不管他叫什么名字。

Owned the Kings for whatever his name was back in the eighties or nineties.

Speaker 3

但总有人朝这个方向发展,因为在我看来,一切最终都会回归到大宗商品和货币,这正是世界运行的基础。

But there's always movement towards that because, you know, everything kinda goes back to commodities and money in my mind, and that's sort of what, you know, the world is based on.

Speaker 3

我的客户里确实有人来买中国硬币。

I mean, I get people in here want Chinese coins.

Speaker 3

事实上,我跟你说个有趣的故事。

They want in fact, I'll tell you a funny story.

Speaker 3

我曾经有个客户,她和她丈夫一直很支持美国硬币。

I had a gal one time who was a good client for US coins, her and her husband.

Speaker 3

有一天我们吃午饭时,她说自己刚从香港飞过来。

And one day, we were having lunch, and she said she had flown in from Hong Kong.

Speaker 3

她问:‘你能帮我弄到这些硬币吗?任何这些硬币?’

And she goes, can you get me any of these coins, any of these coins?

Speaker 3

我说:‘你干嘛想戴个光头中国人的硬币在脖子上?’

And I I said, well, what do you want some coin of a bald Chinese guy on your around your neck for?

Speaker 3

她回答:‘那是我祖父。’

And she goes, well, that was my grandfather.

Speaker 3

我说:‘你祖父?’

I go, your grandfather?

Speaker 3

他答:‘是的。’

He goes, yeah.

Speaker 3

他是中国末代皇帝。

He's he's he's the ex emperor of China.

Speaker 3

我说:‘哦,那你真是富得不得了。’

And I go, oh, you're like really rich.

Speaker 3

你知道,有时候你会忘记跟谁说话,你根本不知道我是谁,我从不问别人是做什么的,但你知道吧?

You know, you forget sometimes who you're talking to and you don't know who I don't ever ask people what they do, but it you know?

Speaker 3

所以,就封闭式基金或基金而言,我认为会有很多人这么做,因为金属价格涨得这么厉害,似乎每个人都想转向某种有形资产,而硬币是非常有形的。

So there is a as far as a closed end fund or a fund, there's a lot of people I think who will be doing that because, you know, with the metals moving up so much, it just seems like everybody's gonna be moving towards some type of tangible product, and coins are pretty tangible.

Speaker 3

收藏品也很有形,不只是硬币。

Collectibles are pretty tangible, not just coins.

Speaker 3

你想买那些具有跨领域收藏价值的东西。

You wanna buy things that are cross collected.

Speaker 3

你知道,我收藏的东西之一是印第安和平奖章。

I I like as you know, one of the things I collect is Indian peace medals.

Speaker 3

这些奖章是由美国造币厂铸造的。

Well, you have they were made by the US Mint.

Speaker 3

它们由总统颁发给印第安部落首领。

They were given from presidents to Indian chiefs.

Speaker 3

最早的奖章颁给了刘易斯和克拉克,他们带着这些奖章外出,亲手交给印第安首领,并说:我们的首领愿与你们的首领和平共处。

The first ones were given to Lewis and Clark, and they took them out and handed them to Indian chiefs and basically said, our chief is at peace with your chief.

Speaker 3

因此,这些奖章在钱币收藏圈里非常受欢迎。

So those are very collectible in the numismatic circle.

Speaker 3

它们在总统收藏家中非常受欢迎。

They're very collectible with the presidential collectors.

Speaker 3

它们在收藏美国金属的人群中也很有价值。

They're very collectible with the metal collectors of US metals.

Speaker 3

它们对美洲原住民来说也非常有收藏价值。

They're very collectible by the Native Americans.

Speaker 3

你知道,这些都是美国历史的绝佳见证。

You know, they're great pieces of US history.

Speaker 2

这些值多少钱?

What do those go for?

Speaker 2

它们的数量不多。

There's not that many of them.

Speaker 3

是的。

No.

Speaker 3

它们的价格可能从六七千美元起,然后继续上涨。

They're probably started 6 or $7,000 and go up.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,像华盛顿金属币,据我所知大概只有二三十枚存世,除了两三枚之外,其他的都在博物馆里。我知道有个人手里有一枚,他认为自己的这枚价值数百万,他可能说得没错,因为他曾拒绝了一千万的报价,因为他并不缺钱。

I mean, like the Washington metals, there's, I wanna say 20 or 30 known, but they're all in museums except two or three, you know, and so that I know the guy who has one of them and he thinks his is, you know, probably worth millions and he's probably right because he turned down 10,000,000 for one of his coins because he he doesn't need the money.

Speaker 3

真的有很多钱在寻找真正的藏品。

There there's real money out there to buy real things.

Speaker 2

我正试着弄清楚这是否在预算范围内。

I was trying to figure figure out if it fits into the budget.

Speaker 2

对于正在听这段对话的人,我猜有很多人和我一样,心里想着:天啊。

For people that are listening to this that are just like I imagine there's a lot of y'all that are just like, oh, man.

Speaker 2

这唤起了那种童年的惊奇感。

Like, this brings out this, like, childhood wonder.

Speaker 2

我觉得这非常有趣,而且实实在在。

I think it's super interesting, but also tangible.

Speaker 2

他们能直接上你们的网站购买硬币吗,还是得打电话给你们?

Like, can they go to your website and just buy the coins or do they need to call you guys?

Speaker 2

比如,如果你去找大卫·霍尔,该怎么做?

Like, if you go to David Hall, what's the route?

Speaker 2

有人说,好吧。

Somebody's like, alright.

Speaker 2

我有10美元。

Got $10.

Speaker 2

我有20美元。

I got $20.

Speaker 2

我有100美元。

I got a $100.

Speaker 2

我有一百万美元。

I got a million bucks.

Speaker 2

随便吧。

Whatever.

Speaker 3

打电话给我更方便。

Easier to call me and ask me.

Speaker 3

我的确有个网站。

I mean, I have a website.

Speaker 3

我的库存大约每十一天轮换一次,主要是稀有硬币,有些东西可能会放上几个月。

My inventory rotates about every eleven days on rare coins, and some things will sit there for a couple months.

Speaker 3

但通常,如果一件商品在六十天或九十天内没卖出去,我就觉得大家都买过了,然后我会清仓处理掉。

But usually, if it doesn't sell in sixty days or ninety days, I figure everybody sold it, and then I'll just blow it out and get rid of it.

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,我卖得好东西的周转率相当高,但是

I mean, I I have a pretty high turnover on nice stuff, but

Speaker 2

我脑子里也不知道为什么。

I would, in my head, I don't know why.

Speaker 2

我只是以为会花上好几年,但实际上挺快的。

I just would assumed it would have been years, but it's pretty quick.

Speaker 3

哦,对的。

Oh, yeah.

Speaker 3

我经营的是流动性非常强的产品。

Very I I deal on a very liquid product.

Speaker 3

我不是做仓储生意的,梅布。

I'm not in the storage business, Meb.

Speaker 3

我尽量买一些非常好的东西,比如我去过长滩钱币展。

I try and buy really nice stuff, and like I went to the Long Beach coin.

Speaker 3

大卫和我曾经拥有长滩钱币展,后来它并入了我们的上市公司,之后关闭了,现在我的一位前商业伙伴重新开了这个展,我大概一个月前,或者三四周前去了一次。

David and I used to own the Long Beach coin show, and they went with our public company, and then they closed it, and now one of my ex business partners reopened it, and I went to there, I wanna say a month ago, maybe three or four weeks ago.

Speaker 3

我不确定。

I don't know.

Speaker 3

我走进去后,一位经销商过来找我,因为我们一直以出售高品质的A级和B级硬币闻名,而不是C级和D级的。

And I walked in and one dealer came up because we always had a reputation of selling really great coins, As and B quality, not Cs and Ds.

Speaker 3

他坐下来就开始买东西。

And he spent he sat down and started buying stuff.

Speaker 3

我在展会上待了四天,第一天就发现他可能占了我90%的销售额。

And I was at the show for four days and I realized the first day he was probably 90% of my sales.

Speaker 3

他直接从我这里买了一箱箱硬币,因为他有客户专门收藏高品质的硬币。

He just bought boxes of coins from me because he has clients for really nice stuff.

Speaker 3

如果针对优质物品来说,这是一个相当活跃的市场。

And it's a pretty active market if that makes sense for good things.

Speaker 2

你已经看到许多现代公司进入这个领域。

You've seen a bunch of kind of modern companies entrance into the field.

Speaker 2

你作为行业老手已经在这里很久了,但你现在也看到像Fanatics这样的公司进入卡片市场。

You've been here for as an incumbent for a long time, but you've got stuff like, you know, fanatics moving into the card space.

Speaker 2

他们几年前以大约十亿美元的价格收购了Tops。

I mean, they bought tops for like half 1,000,000,000 a few years ago.

Speaker 2

你还能看到其他公司。

You see other companies.

Speaker 2

发生了什么变化?

What has changed?

Speaker 2

这种变化更多是发生在流通量大的低端产品上吗?

Is that more on kind of the lower end as far as like the widely circulated stuff?

Speaker 2

在高端市场,是不是还是你们和其他一些传统玩家主导?

Like at the high end, is it more kinda y'all and some other traditional players?

Speaker 2

或者,这些大型传统企业是如何改变现状的,如果有的话?

Or, like, how how is how are these big kinda more traditional corporations changing thing, if at all?

Speaker 3

我不知道。

I don't know.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,他们推出新产品,然后从新产品中获得自己的利润率。

I mean, they sell a new product, and so they make, you know, whatever their margin is on a new product.

Speaker 3

他们还签了很多名人,让这些名人签名,比如篮球之类的物品。

And a lot of stuff they have where they sign up celebrities, and the celebrities will sign, like, basketballs and stuff.

Speaker 3

因为我们的产品的一部分是PSA DNA,我们会验证签名的真实性。

Because part of our product was PSA DNA, where we would authenticate that the autograph was real.

Speaker 3

我们曾经有一笔交易,我觉得是Upper Deck通过我们做的,他们必须亲自来签名。

And we had a deal one time that I think Upper Deck did it through us, where they had to come in and sign.

Speaker 3

持续了一个半月左右,科比·布莱恩特每隔几天就来我们办公室签名,签了数百个篮球。

And for like a month and a half, we had Kobe Bryant come in our office every couple of days signing, you know, a few 100 basketballs.

Speaker 3

我觉得他当时签了8000个篮球。

I think he signed 8,000 basketballs at the time.

Speaker 3

当然,我当时不够聪明,没留下一个,但对我来说,他只是另一个篮球运动员。

Of course, I wasn't smart enough to keep one, but to me, it was just another basketball player.

Speaker 3

但新产品总是新的,而且所有东西都被保存下来了。

But the new product is always new and everything's being saved.

Speaker 3

较老的东西,无论是旧体育卡,还是1975年以后的任何体育卡,都变得非常普遍且流动性很差。

The older things, whether they're old sports cards or, you know, anything sports cards after about 1975 becomes pretty common and pretty illiquid.

Speaker 3

从19世纪初一直到早期的费城和高迪卡片,这类老物件始终会有强劲的需求。

Older things all the way back to early nineteen hundreds, the February and Gaudi cards and things like that, is always gonna have a strong demand.

Speaker 3

我不知道未来五到十年价格会如何变化。

I don't know what the prices are gonna do for the next five or ten years.

Speaker 3

它们可能还会继续上涨。

They may continue to go up.

Speaker 3

但我更倾向于购买那些已经拥有成熟记录、被证明是收藏品的东西。

But I prefer buying things that already have a track record that has, you know, that has been proven as a collectible.

Speaker 3

我收藏绘画,特别是水彩画,因为我觉得它们被低估了。

I collect paintings, watercolors specifically, because I felt they were underpriced.

Speaker 3

这很有趣,因为我几乎所有的东西都是从这位经销商那里买的,他一直说,你得坚持买1960年以前的东西。

It was funny because the dealer who I buy almost everything from, he kept saying, you need to stay with stuff prior to 1960.

Speaker 3

他表现得好像这是一个生死攸关的截止日期似的。

And he was just acting like this was this big drop dead date.

Speaker 3

最后有一天,我问他:那70年代和80年代的艺术家呢?

And I said finally, one day, I said, about artists in the '70s and '80s?

Speaker 3

他回答:那种东西你真的没法买。

He goes, well, you can't really buy that stuff.

Speaker 3

太新了。

It's too new.

Speaker 3

我说:天啊,我们上高中的时候,二战感觉就像是一百万年前的事了。

I said, jeez, when we were in high school, World War II was like a million years ago.

Speaker 3

但那其实才过去二三十年而已。

But that was only twenty or twenty five years ago.

Speaker 3

而他却把80年代的东西当成是刚出的新品。

And he said, you're talking about the '80s like it's brand new.

Speaker 3

我说,那是四十年前的事了。

I said, it's forty years ago.

Speaker 3

很快,我就想通了。

And pretty soon, it clicked.

Speaker 3

一些七八十年代的艺术家作品如今变得非常有收藏价值,尤其是在现代艺术品中。

And some of these artists from the seventies and eighties have become very collectible, especially in the modern stuff.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,那些描绘人物和类似事物的画作。

Know, I'm talking about paintings that are of people and things like that.

Speaker 3

但有些现代艺术简直疯狂,尽管这个市场现在已经明显降温了。

But, you know, some of the modern art has just gone insane, although that market has now softened quite a bit.

Speaker 3

我也明白。

I understand also.

Speaker 2

当我试图回想全球金融危机时,我经常开这个玩笑,心里想,哦,那才七年前、十年前的事。

I make that joke quite a bit when I'm like trying to think back to the global financial crisis and in my head, it's like, oh, it's only like seven years ago, ten years ago.

Speaker 2

等等。

Wait a minute.

Speaker 2

你知道,现在连算账都算不清了。

You know, it's it's can't even do the math anymore.

Speaker 2

然后是15年,很快就要到20年了,这真是个有意思的时间点。

Then it was 15 and then pretty soon we're coming up on 20, which is an interesting point.

Speaker 2

我想知道,美国到现在已经持续了整整17年的繁荣。

I wonder The US has been on a pretty incredible run for now, seventeen years.

Speaker 2

我很想知道,当我们经历不可避免的经济衰退和熊市时,这个世界这一部分会受到多大影响。

I'd be curious to see as we go through the inevitable recession, the inevitable bear market, how much this part of the world gets affected.

Speaker 2

其中一些显然是不受商业周期影响的,有些和贵金属有关,而我猜,在高端收藏品领域,比如艺术品和其他东西,可能和由股市屡创新高所创造的可支配财富有关——如果这些财富缩水50%的话。

Some of it is obviously business cycle independent and some of it's more precious metals related and some of it, I imagine on the higher end collectible like art and other things probably is related to some of the discretionary wealth may be generated by things like stocks at all time highs, you know, that goes down 50%.

Speaker 2

人们可能会停止购买伦勃朗之类的画作,或者不再关注,但我早在两、五、十年前就做过类似的预测,你知道,但这些情况至今都没发生。

People might stop buying, you know, a Rembrandt or whatever it may be or stop looking, but I could have made that argument two, five, ten years ago as well, you know, and it hasn't it hasn't happened yet.

Speaker 3

根据我所看到的,让我们以金融危机为例,当时一切全崩了。

Well, based on what I've seen, and let's use the great financial crisis when that happened, you know, everything melted.

Speaker 3

没人知道LIBOR是什么。

Nobody knew what LIBOR was.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,你知道的,我们其实什么都不知道。

I mean, it you know, no we didn't know anything.

Speaker 3

黄金价格下跌了,这谁都没料到,但它是当时唯一能快速变现的资产。

And gold went down, which nobody expected to go down, but it was the only liquid thing people had.

Speaker 3

有很多人打电话给我,卖掉了大量黄金,因为他们收到了追加保证金的通知。

And I had people calling and selling lots of gold because they had margin calls.

Speaker 3

我不得不在当天或第二天往不同的经纪公司汇款,因为那是他们唯一能迅速变现的资产。

And I had to wire money to different brokerage firms, you know, that day or the next day because it was the one liquid thing that they had.

Speaker 3

但回到那时候,我跟一个朋友、熟人聊天,他是八十年代的垃圾债券之王之一。

But back like that, I was talking to a friend, an acquaintance who was, you know, like the junk bond king of the eighties and or one of the junk bond kings of the eighties.

Speaker 3

就在那个时候,我们聊天时,我问他:你觉得会发生什么?

And it is at that right at that time, I we were talking, I said, what do you think is gonna happen?

Speaker 3

他说:范,真正成功的人最多只会损失30%。

He goes, well, Van, the really successful people will only lose 30%.

Speaker 3

因为其他人会损失更多。

Because other people will lose more.

Speaker 3

他说,但你要明白,这里没有任何安全港。

He goes, but realize there's there's no safety harbor here.

Speaker 3

所有东西都会下跌。

Everything's gonna go down.

Speaker 3

只是取决于什么东西跌得最厉害。

It just depends on what's gonna go down the most.

Speaker 3

事实确实如此,因为大多数收藏品的买家像我一样,仍然会购买。

And that was true because most of the collectibles there were collectors like me who would still buy.

Speaker 3

我在出价时更谨慎了吗?

Was I more cautious on the price that I would pay?

Speaker 3

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 3

也许吧。

Maybe.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,如果有人给我提供一件古董枪之类的东西,或者我一直想要的印第安文物,突然有人拿出来了,我可能愿意出比以前更高的价格,因为这种东西以前从没出现过。

I mean, if somebody offered me, let's say, an antique gun or something like that or an Indian piecemeal or something that I I'd always wanted and somebody popped up with one, I probably would have paid more than I would have paid before because it didn't ever pop up before.

Speaker 3

不过它确实让一些东西变得可得,但我认为在熊市中一切都会下跌,你知道吗?我前几天还跟一个五十多岁的小伙子聊过。

It does make things available though, but I think everything goes down in a bear market and, you know, if you listen to some of the I was talking to a guy the other day, a kid in his 50s.

Speaker 3

他说,你不明白。

He goes, you don't understand.

Speaker 3

股市永远不会回调。

The stock market's never going to correct.

Speaker 3

你还年轻,对吧?

You are young, aren't you?

Speaker 2

天哪。

Oh, man.

Speaker 2

这个假设太危险了。

That's a dangerous assumption right there.

Speaker 3

没错。

Exactly.

Speaker 3

我的意思是,你只要把钱放进指数基金,就再也不用管了。

I mean, it was you could just put it in index funds and never look back.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客