本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嘿,我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎收听梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
Hey, it's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins podcast.
我现在正坐在波士顿的演播室里,波士顿这里聚集了世界上一些最负盛名的研究机构和学术机构,包括麻省理工学院、哈佛大学和哈佛商学院。
I'm sitting here right now in our Boston studios, and I'm surrounded here in Boston by some of the world's most prestigious research institutions and academic institutions, including MIT, Harvard, Harvard Business School.
事实上,你知道吗?在哈佛商学院一年的学费高达75,000美元?
In fact, did you know it costs $75,000 in tuition a year to go to Harvard Business School?
他们在那儿教些什么呢?
What are they teaching over there?
今天,你和我将一起了解哈佛商学院最受欢迎的课程之一所教授的内容。
Well, today you and I are going to learn what they're teaching Harvard Business School students in one of the most popular classes at Harvard Business School.
不,不是金融或投资银行。
And no, it's not on finance or investment banking.
而是关于沟通的科学。
It's on the science of communication.
这门课程由艾莉森·伍德·布鲁克斯教授创建。
Professor Alison Wood Brooks created the course.
这门课有候补名单。
It has a wait list.
她从自己繁忙的日程中抽出时间来到这里,只有一个原因。
She has taken time out from her crazy busy schedule to be here for one reason today.
她今天来这里是为了你,教你主要的课程内容、收获和策略。
She's here for you, to teach you the main lessons, the takeaways, and the strategy.
学会更好地沟通,是一种技能。
See, learning how to communicate better, it's a skill.
这是一种会改变你生活的技能。
It's a skill that will change your life.
这门课应该在任何地方都开设,而不仅仅是在哈佛商学院。
This is a class that should be taught everywhere, not just at Harvard Business School.
我的意思是,如果你的老板能更好地与你沟通,你不会很高兴吗?
I mean, wouldn't you love it if your boss was a better communicator with you?
你难道不希望你的朋友、伴侣或家人能更直接地表达他们的想法吗?
Don't you wish your friends or your partner or your family could really share what they're thinking in a way that was a little bit more direct?
你难道不希望人们不要误解你吗?
Don't you wish that people didn't misunderstand you?
我确实希望如此。
I sure do.
我最喜欢布鲁克斯教授的研究在于,她将所有这些关于沟通的深奥学术话题,提炼成了四个简单易行的要点,这些都基于研究,你和我今天就能实践,帮助你立即改善沟通。
What I love about Professor Brooks' research is that she's taken all these big heady intellectual topics about communication and boiled it down into four simple things based on the research that you and I can do that are going to help you communicate better starting today.
你准备好了吗?
So are you ready?
因为课程正式开始了。
Because class is officially in session.
嘿,我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎来到梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
Hey, it's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins podcast.
我非常高兴你在这里。
I am so excited that you're here.
我对于今天的话题感到无比兴奋。
I'm so excited about the topic today.
我非常期待我们即将一起交流的嘉宾。
I'm excited about the guests that we're gonna spend time with.
我也想花一点时间欢迎你加入梅·罗宾斯播客大家庭。
I also wanna take a moment and welcome you to the Mel Robbins Podcast family.
今天,你和我将学习如何根据哈佛商学院教授的研究成为更好的沟通者。
And today, you and I are gonna learn how to be a better communicator based on the research from Harvard Business School professor.
她还是全新著作《对话的科学》和《做真实的自己》的畅销书作者。
She's also a bestselling author of the brand new book, The Science of Conversation and The Art of Being Ourselves.
她是一位名叫艾莉森·伍德·布鲁克斯的行为科学家和研究员。
She is a behavioral scientist and researcher by the name of Alison Wood Brooks.
布鲁克斯教授在哈佛商学院教授一门获奖的沟通课程。
Professor Brooks teaches an award winning course on communication at Harvard Business School.
这门课排期已满,而今天她将把全部40讲浓缩成一小时为你呈现。
It has a wait list and today she is condensing all 40 lectures into one hour for you.
这不仅仅关乎说话。
And this isn't just about talking.
它关乎以最自信、最吸引人、最有影响力的方式展现你自己。
It's about showing up as the most confident, engaging, and influential version of you.
那么,不多说了,请大家热烈欢迎哈佛商学院的布鲁克斯教授做客梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
So without further ado, please help me welcome Harvard Business School Professor Brooks to the Mel Robbins podcast.
我太开心了
I'm so happy
能来到这里,梅尔,我真的很高兴。
to be here, Mel.
谢谢你。
Thank you.
我非常兴奋,想要深入探讨你的研究,学习你那门在哈佛商学院广受欢迎的课程中的所有内容。
I am so excited to just dig into your research and learn everything that we can learn from this crazy popular class that you teach at Harvard Business School.
但我想从这里开始。
But here's where I wanna start.
现在正有一位听众,他一点时间都没有。
There is a person listening right now who has no time.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但他们还是找到了时间,并且创造了时间。
And yet they found time and made time.
嗯。
Mhmm.
来和你我此刻相聚。
To be with you and me right now.
如果听众采纳了你即将分享的全部内容,他们的人生会发生怎样的改变?
What can the person listening expect to change about their life if they take everything that you're about
如果他们真的把我们的对话牢记于心并付诸实践,他们生活的方方面面都可能变得更好。
to teach us and they try it and they put it to use?
你的爱情生活、与孩子的相处、与父母的关系、你的工作、与同事的关系、你们共同完成的事情,一切都会改善。
If they really take what we talk about to heart, I think everything about their life could get better.
你的爱情生活、与孩子的相处、与父母的关系、你的工作、与同事的关系、你们共同完成的事情,一切都会改善。
Your love life, your relationship with your children, your relationship with your parents, your work, your relationships with your colleagues, what you're able to get done together, everything.
你认识的每一个人,你生命中的每一段关系,都是随着时间推移不断重复的对话序列。
Every person you know, every relationship in your life is a repeated sequence of conversations over time.
所以,即使每一次对话都变得好一点点,我们在这世上短暂的时光,一切都会因此变得更好。
So even if each of those conversations gets a little bit better, this short time that we have on the earth, everything about it is gonna get better.
哇。
Wow.
为什么沟通如此重要?
Why does communication matter so much?
沟通就是一切。
Communication is everything.
一切。
Everything.
因此,你可以把生命中的每一段关系都看作是反复出现的对话序列。
So really, you can think of every relationship in your life as this repeated sequence of conversations.
如果你聚焦于每一次对话,你会发现它是由你在每次对话的每一刻所做出的微小选择构成的,而我们现在就要这么做,梅尔。
And if you zero in on each one of those conversations, it's a series of tiny choices that you're making at every moment of every conversation, and we're about to do it right now, Mel.
在每一个时刻,你都在做这些选择,我们该谈论什么?
Every moment you're making these choices, what should we be talking about?
我应该问对方关于什么?
What should I be asking the other person about?
我们什么时候该笑?
When should we be laughing?
我们什么时候该哭?
When should we be crying?
我什么时候该提问?
When should I ask a question?
我什么时候该分享一些关于自己的事?
When should I share something of myself?
我们一路上都在做出这些微小的决定,它们将决定我们能一起做什么、一起实现什么、能彼此了解多少。
We're making these tiny micro decisions all the way along, and it's gonna determine what we're able to do together, what we're able to accomplish together, what we're able to learn about each other.
我们说话的方式,就是我们的本质,也是我们在这个世界上能成就什么的体现。
How we talk is who we are and what we're able to do in the world.
我喜欢你这样表达,因为我坐在这里想,我希望她能帮我减少一些遗憾。
I love how you framed it because I was sitting here thinking, I hope that she can help me not have so many regrets.
因为我觉得我们很多人在对话结束后都会想,唉,我真希望没说那句话,或者,我真希望当时提了那件事。
Because I think a lot of us leave a conversation or like, oh, I wish I hadn't have said that or, oh, I wish I would have brought that up.
但你也在谈论向前推进的力量。
But you're also talking about the power of forward momentum.
没错。
Yeah.
通过在工作、爱情生活和家庭中与他人互动时做出这些微小的改变,就能带来一切的不同。
By small shifts in these interactions that we have with people at work, in our love life, in our families that can change everything.
你有资格谈论这个话题并教给我们这些,因为你创建并教授了一门广受欢迎且获奖无数的哈佛商学院课程。
And you have earned the right to talk about this and to teach us this because you created and you teach a wildly popular and award winning Harvard Business School course.
这门课叫《谈话》:如何在商业和生活中更好地交谈。
It is called talk, how to talk gooder in business and life.
我因为有阅读障碍,语法不太好,但我知道‘gooder’这个词可能并不正确。
And I'm not that good with grammar being dyslexic, but I know that gooder is probably not the right word.
但我感觉这是有意为之的。
So but I have a feeling it's intentional.
你为什么要把这门课叫做‘如何在工作和生活中说得更好’?
Why the hell do you call it how to talk gooder in business and life?
我得告诉你,让哈佛的管理层批准这个课程名称,是我职业生涯中最了不起的成就之一。
I have to tell you, getting that that course title approved by the administrator, by the powers that be at Harvard is one of the greatest accomplishments of my professional life.
它和‘美国的民主’、‘当今时代的资本主义’等严肃课程并列在一起。
It's sitting next to so many serious courses like democracy in America and capitalism in today's age.
这是有意的。
It was intentional.
它有几种不同的含义。
It has a few different meanings.
当然,它在语法上是错误的,这让一些人非常抓狂。
Of course, it's grammatically incorrect, which drives some people up the wall.
但它有两个含义。
But there's two meanings.
这门课程的很大一部分是关于平衡严肃与轻松。
A huge part of the course is about balancing gravity and levity.
因此,我真的很想在课程标题中传达这一点。
And so I really wanted to signal that in the course title.
我们将探讨对话。
We're going to take conversation.
我们将认真对待我们的工作。
We're going to take our work very seriously.
但为了做到这一点,我们还需要保持一种游戏和乐趣的精神。
But in order to do that, we need to also maintain a spirit of play and fun.
我们必须一起享受乐趣,否则我们不会感到安全。
We have to have fun together or we aren't gonna feel safe.
我们无法取得进展。
We're not gonna be able to make progress.
单词'gooder'也深深根植于'good'这个词。
The word gooder also is really rooted in this word good.
我们要朝着善意的目标努力。
We're gonna work towards a goal of kindness.
我们在与他人交谈时,希望能成为好人,甚至更好一点。
We wanna be good people when we're talking to other people, and hopefully a little bit gooder.
所以我想听听
So I wanna hear
你当初是为什么想开设这门课的?
the story behind what made you wanna even create this course.
因为如果你仔细想想,哈佛商学院的录取率只有11%。
Because if you're really thinking about it, you've got Harvard Business School, 11% acceptance rate.
去哈佛商学院的人,难道不是已经很擅长沟通了吗?
Aren't the people going to Harvard Business School already good at communicating?
我知道。
I know.
每个人都这么想。
This is what everybody thinks.
而且,某种程度上,是的。
And and in a way, yes.
但某种程度上,不是。
And in a way, no.
好吧。
Okay.
当我最初被聘为哈佛教员时,他们让我教授一门关于谈判的课程。
When I was originally recruited to be on the faculty at Harvard, I was recruited to teach a course on negotiation.
顺便说一句,哈佛的谈判课程可是传奇般的。
And by the way, the negotiation course at Harvard is like legendary.
没错。
Yeah.
我的一些同事是这个框架的创始人之一,如今这个框架已被每一所商学院、每一所法学院采用。
Some of the some of my colleagues were sort of the founders of this framework that is now taught at every business school, at every law school.
这真是一门了不起的课程。
It's really an incredible course.
他们为什么要招募你?
Why were they recruiting you?
我不是想无礼,但当时你在做什么,让他们觉得非得请布鲁克斯教授来不可?
I don't mean to be rude, but like what were you doing at the time that made them go, we gotta have professor Brooks here?
嗯,我去读了研究生。
Well, I went to grad school.
我去费城的沃顿商学院读了研究生。
I went to grad school and a business school at Wharton in Philadelphia.
我痴迷于人类和人际关系,想弄清楚我们所有人,我是一名行为科学家。
I was obsessed with humans and people and figuring us all out, and I was a behavioral scientist.
在研究生期间,我花时间研究情绪——我们内心的感受,以及我们如何与他人谈论自己的感受。
And in grad school, I spent my time studying emotions, the way that we feel on the inside, but also how we talk about our feelings with other people.
我研究情绪的一个领域就是谈判。
And one of the places that I studied emotions was in negotiations.
当人们身处这些困难的情境时,他们会有什么感受?
When you put people in these difficult situations, how do they feel?
他们的情绪如何影响他们的行为以及在谈判中能做什么?
How are their feelings influencing their behavior and what they're able to do when they're negotiating?
这太酷了。
Well, that's super cool.
所以这是你的专业领域。
So this is your area of expertise.
你被招募到哈佛商学院教授这门谈判课程。
You get recruited to go to Harvard Business School to teach this course in negotiation.
后来发生了什么?
What happened?
是的。
Yeah.
我当时在那里。
So I was there.
我教了大约四年的谈判课程。
I taught negotiation for about four years.
这是一门很棒的课程。
It's an amazing course.
你会花时间练习角色扮演,比如,你是一名工厂经理,需要谈判并采购一些困难的物资。
You spend time practicing in doing these role plays of, okay, you're gonna be, you're the manager of a factory and you need to negotiate and procure some of these hard things.
或者,哦,现在你要谈判买一套新房。
Or, oh, now you're gonna negotiate for a new house.
好吧,我们来试试。
Okay, let's do that.
我们去练习吧。
Let's go practice.
你进行这些角色扮演。
You do these role plays.
好的。
Okay.
你会学到一些很好的框架,帮助你更好地进行谈判。
You learn great frameworks about how to do it better.
但即使我在教授这门出色的课程时,能感受到学生们从中获得了巨大价值,我还是意识到我们遗漏了某些东西。
But even as I was teaching this great class and I could feel that my students were getting so much value from it, I realized that we were missing something.
好的。
Okay.
当我思考谈判时,你会意识到自己经常在做这种事吗?
When I think about negotiations, you realize how often am I doing that?
你经常做这种事吗?
How often are you doing this?
也许你正在为买新车、新房或加薪而谈判。
Maybe you're negotiating for a new car or a new house or a higher salary.
我不知道,也许每两个月一次吧。
I don't know, maybe once every two months, maybe.
而我开始意识到的是:等等,但我们每天都要不停地和人交谈。
And what I started to realize is like, wait, but we have to talk to people all day long every day.
而我并不把这些视为谈判。
And I don't think of those as negotiations.
这似乎是另一个需要解决的问题。
That seems like a different nut to crack.
是的。
Yeah.
哈佛大学的许多学生实际上已经相当有策略性。
And many of our students at Harvard are actually already quite strategic.
因此,我们在谈判中教给他们的某些课程对他们来说已经很直观了。
So some of the lessons that we're teaching them in negotiation are pretty intuitive to them.
我们正在把本来就有策略的人,教得更有策略。
We're taking strategic people and, like, teaching them to be even more strategic.
我当时就想:哇。
And I was like, woah.
哇。
Woah.
哇。
Woah.
哇。
Woah.
我想这些人需要的是,我们如何教他们变得更有趣、更幽默、更吸引人、更富有活力、更有同理心?
I think what these people need might be, how do we teach them to be more engaging and fun and funny and interesting and dynamic and more empathic?
有哪门课程能帮助他们做到这一点呢?
Where's the course that can help them to do that?
但当时并没有这样的课程。
And there wasn't one.
多年来他们尝试过很多方法,但都没有真正奏效。
They've tried many ways over the years and none of them have really stuck.
好的。
Okay.
所以你设计了这门叫做“谈话”的课程。
So you come up with this course called talk.
对。
Yeah.
根据你的研究,为什么沟通对人们来说如此具有挑战性?
And based on your research, why is communication so challenging for people?
天哪。
Oh my gosh.
沟通之所以具有挑战性,原因有百万种之多。
Communication is challenging for a million reasons.
如果你问我人们在对话中常犯哪些错误,我能说上很久。
When you think if you ask me to make a list of the mistakes that people make in conversation, I would go on and on.
我们选错了话题。
We choose the wrong topics.
我们忘记了应该谈论的话题。
We forget to raise the topics that we should talk about.
我们问的问题不够多。
We don't ask enough questions.
我们问的问题又太多了。
We ask too many questions.
我们谈论自己太多。
We talk too much about ourselves.
我们对对方的关注不够。
We don't focus enough on the other person.
我们炫耀。
We brag.
我们假装谦虚地炫耀。
We humble brag.
我们说些言不由衷的恭维话。
We give backhanded compliments.
我们做了所有这些事情。
We we do all of these things.
这些问题清单太长了。
The laundry list is so long.
这感觉几乎无法克服。
It feels almost insurmountable.
我心里想:等等,人们不可能时时刻刻把所有这些事情都记在脑子里。
And I'm in my mind, I'm like, wait, but people can't keep all of those things in their heads all the time.
他们真正需要的是一种简单的框架,帮助他们理解每场对话中那片浩瀚的复杂性。
What they really need is a simple framework that can help them wrap their arms around this vast ocean of complexity that is in every conversation.
当你深入审视每一场对话的内部,就会开始意识到它究竟有多复杂。
And when you look under the hood of every conversation, you start to realize how complex it really is.
这就是你今天要教我们的。
And that's what you're gonna teach us today.
这就是我今天要教你们的。
That's what gonna teach you today.
这个简单的框架。
This simple framework.
布鲁克斯教授,在我们进入这门课的要点以及您在沟通科学领域所做的所有研究之前,您能告诉我,还有正在听的听众,真正提升沟通能力对您有什么实际影响吗?
Professor Brooks, before we jump into the takeaways from this class and all of the research that you've done on the science of communication, can you just tell me and the person who's listening, how exactly does becoming a better communicator impact you for real?
嗯。
Yeah.
成为
Becoming a
更好的沟通者将帮助你获得并维持更高的地位。
better communicator is gonna help you gain and maintain higher status.
那是什么意思?
What does that mean?
当我使用“地位”这个词时,我的意思是:讨人喜欢、尊重、权力,也就是现在年轻人所说的“Riz”,对吧?
When I use the word status, what I mean is, likability, respect, power, what the kids these days would call Riz, right?
那些拥有高地位的人,正是我们钦佩、喜欢、在群体中、工作中、朋友圈里或家庭中拥有影响力的人。
It's these people who have high status are the ones we admire, that we like, that have power in their groups, at work, in their friend groups, in their families.
所以,当我提到高地位时,我并不是指奢华、浮夸或你属于哪个社会阶层。
And so when you hear me say high status, I'm not talking about like fancy or highfalutin or what social class you're in.
明白了
Got
它。
it.
在你的社交圈里,你受人尊重吗?
Literally in your social group, are you respected?
你有权力吗?
Do you have power?
你有影响力吗?
Do you have influence?
嗯,这些就是一切。
Well, that's everything.
是的。
Yeah.
这就是一切。
It's everything.
哇。
Wow.
所以,通过学习如何更好地沟通,真正运用你在哈佛商学院所教授的沟通科学,你将获得更多的尊重和影响力。
So learning to be a better communicator by really taking all this science of communication that you teach at Harvard Business School and applying it means you'll have more respect, you'll have more influence.
无论你是在家里与家人交谈,还是与同事交流,或是在教室、你工作的医院里沟通,我们真正讨论的是你不仅能够沟通,还能获得同龄人的尊重与钦佩,并被他们倾听的能力。
Whether you're talking about in your home with your family or you're talking about with your colleagues or you're talking about in the classroom or the hospital you work with, we're really talking about your ability to not only communicate, but to be respected and admired by your peers and listened to.
没错。
That's right.
而且在做这些事的时候还能有点乐趣。
And have a little fun while you're doing it.
哦,好吧。
Oh, all right.
那我们来深入探讨一下你的所有研究吧。
Well, let's dig into all of your research.
你认为大多数人无法有效沟通的最主要原因是什么?
What do you think is the single biggest reason why most people can't communicate effectively?
如果非得选一个最主要的原因,那大概就是我们人类天性中的自我中心倾向。
Probably if I was forced to choose the single biggest reason is our human nature of egocentrism.
我们的群体——这个词有点大。
Our group- That's a big word.
那是什么意思?
What does that mean?
嗯。
Yeah.
以自我为中心。
Self centered.
我们以自我为中心。
We're self centered.
我们关注自己。
We're self focused.
我们的大脑是为了生存而构建的。
Our brains are built for survival.
我们关注的是我的观点是什么?
We're focused on what is my perspective?
我如何才能避开危险和恐惧,活下去,并繁衍自己的生命,保护我的家人?
How can I stave off dangers and fears and stay alive and sort of proliferate my own life and protect my family?
而以自我为中心,这种自我聚焦在我们还是狩猎采集者的时候有助于生存。
And egocenture, that self focus is good for survival back when we were hunters and gatherers.
但在当今时代,它也阻碍了我们与他人真正建立联系。
But in today's day and age, it also holds us back from really connecting with other people.
你必须不断对抗自己的以自我为中心的本能,才能真正关注他人。
You have to relentlessly sort of fight against your self centered instincts to really focus on another person.
这确实如此。
Well, that's true.
因为你在进入对话时,往往会默认考虑‘这对我有什么好处’。
Because you go into a conversation sort of with that default mode of like what's in this for me.
没错。
Yeah.
如果你总是想着‘这对我有什么好处’,那你可能从一开始就走错了方向。
And if you're thinking about it from what's in it for you, you're probably already starting off on the wrong foot.
在
In a
糟糕的地方。
bad place.
是的。
Yes.
你知道,我
You know, I
最近读到一项研究,布鲁克斯教授说,每一代人的沟通能力都在变差。
recently read research, professor Brooks, that every generation is getting worse at communicating.
你觉得这是真的吗?
Do you think that's true?
我不知道。
I don't know.
我不认为每一代人都在变差。
I don't think every generation is getting worse.
我认为人类一直以来都很难好好交谈。
I think people, human beings have probably always struggled with conversation.
让我稍微退后一步。
Let me back up for a moment.
在书中,我们将对话视为一种协调游戏。
In the book, we talk about conversation as a coordination game.
协调游戏是指两个或更多人之间需要独立做出的决策,而你们无法进行沟通。
And a coordination game is any sort of decision you need to make independently between two or more people where you can't communicate.
比如‘胆小鬼游戏’就是一个很好的例子,你们彼此高速冲向对方,必须选择:我是向左避让还是向右避让?
So the game of chicken is a good example where you're sort of hurtling towards each other, and you have to choose, do I veer left or veer right?
而且双方都必须在不交谈的情况下做出选择。
And both people have to choose without talking to each other.
他们必须进行协调。
They have to coordinate.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以,对话就像这场胆小鬼游戏,只不过你一直在不断做出这些协调决策。
So a conversation is like this game of chicken, except you're making these relentless coordination decisions.
你在决定我们要聊什么?
You're deciding what are we going to talk about?
我要透露些什么?
What am I going to disclose about?
我们该怎么谈这件事?
How are we gonna talk about it?
我们要轻松一点吗?
Are we gonna be silly?
我们要认真一点吗?
Are we gonna be serious?
还是我要把一切都讲出来?
Or are we gonna Am I gonna talk about it all?
因为当你这么说的时候,我想到了:等等,那个听的人,我知道我自己,生活中总有那么一个人,你和他无法好好沟通。
Because now when you said I thought, wait a minute, the person listening, I know me, has somebody in their life they have to deal with that they can't quite communicate with.
没错。
Yeah.
这可能会让人非常沮丧。
It can get very frustrating.
是的。
Yes.
而且,你知道,我们甚至都不会去想它。
And, you know, we don't even think about it.
我们只是开始回避那个我们难以沟通的人。
We just then start to avoid the person that we're having trouble communicating with.
你认为我们在沟通方面普遍误解了什么?
What do you think all of us get wrong when it comes to communication?
哦,人们总是过于关注自我,这会让你一开始就陷入误区,而且在整个交流过程中你往往都只想着自己。
Oh, so there's this focus on the self, which starts you from a place of getting you off on a bad foot, and you're often focusing on yourself the whole way along.
研究者们已经基本达成共识:缺乏换位思考——即无法理解对方的观点和内心世界——是解决冲突和建立联系的最大障碍。
Researchers have sort of found consensus on this idea that failures in perspective taking, being able to understand the other person's point of view and their mind is the single greatest barrier to conflict resolution and to connection.
这一点在每一次对话的每一个时刻都成立。
And that's true at every moment of every conversation.
我们很难理解对方在想什么、感受什么,以及他们接下来会说什么、做什么。
We struggle to understand what the other person is thinking and feeling and what they're gonna say and do next.
我们依赖自己的信念、观点和感受来猜测别人的情绪。
We rely on our own beliefs, our own opinions, our own feelings to guess how somebody else is is feeling.
我们真的很不擅长猜测。
And we're really bad at guessing.
你知道吗,我已经学到了一点,那就是我原本以为,而且我相信我们稍后会谈到,更好的沟通是关于你如何改变自己的表达方式。
You know, I've already learned something, which is I assumed, and I'm sure we'll get into it, that being a better communicator is about you speaking differently.
而你已经暗示了:等等,如果你不能意识到沟通的本质其实是与人建立连接,那确实如此。
And what you're already kind of signaling is wait a minute, if you can't actually understand that communicating is about connecting with somebody Yeah.
以及你能否停下来,真正站在别人的立场上,想象他们可能有什么感受?
And being able to stop yourself and truly step into somebody else's shoes and imagine what they might be feeling?
如果你做不到这一点,你就无法有效沟通。
If you can't do that, you can't communicate.
你基本上就是这个意思吗?
Is that what you're basically saying?
说得太对了。
That's exactly right.
因为对话是共同构建的。
Because conversation is co constructed.
它发生在两个人或更多人之间。
It's between two people or more.
这不是你一个人的事。
It's not a you thing.
它和公开演讲完全不同,公开演讲是一个人站在舞台上,得不到回应。
It's not it's it's completely separate from public speaking, which where it's like one person standing on a stage not getting a response.
对话是双向的。
Dialogue is about back and forth.
你们轮流说话和倾听,你不知道对方接下来会说什么,但你必须对此做出回应。
You take turns speaking and listening, and you don't know what your partner's gonna say next, but you're gonna have to respond to it.
它是共同创造的。
It's co created.
所以这真的不是关于你。
So it's really not about you.
而是关于你和对方,以及你们能共同创造的东西。
It's about you plus the other person and what you can build together.
我太喜欢这一点了。
I love that.
所以你花了十年的研究。
And so you've taken a decade of research.
是的。
Yeah.
你提出了一个四部分的框架,帮助我们更有效地沟通。
And you have a four part framework that helps us communicate more effectively.
你能告诉我这四个部分的框架是什么吗?
Can you tell me what the four part framework is?
可以。
Yes.
简而言之,T 代表话题,A 代表提问,L 代表轻松幽默,K 代表善意。
Very briefly, T stands for topics, A stands for asking, L is for levity, and K is for kindness.
我知道你在哈佛商学院要花整整一个学期来深入讲解这个四部分框架,但今天,布鲁克斯教授,您将一步步教我们这个四部分框架。
I realize you take an entire semester at Harvard Business School to unpack the four part framework, but today, professor Brooks, you are going to teach us this four part framework step by step.
好的。
Yeah.
那我们从第一部分 T 开始。
So let's start with the first part, T.
T。
T.
T 代表话题。
T is for topics.
话题就是我们谈论的内容。
So topics are the things we talk about.
对吧?
Right?
如果在这次录音结束后我让你回想一下,我们聊了什么?
If I asked you after this recording to look back and say, what did we talk about?
你的大脑会非常擅长组织和分类信息。
You could, your brain would be really good at organizing and categorizing.
哦,首先我们谈到了你的课程,然后谈到了话题,接着是这个。
Oh, well, first we talked about your course, and then we talked about topics, and then this.
所以,大脑非常擅长将事物分组、归类为话题。
So, brains are really good at chunking things into segments, into topics.
好的。
Okay.
这在实践中非常有用,因为它意味着我们可以在彼此交谈时利用这种能力来引导话题。
Which is so helpful in practice because it means that we can use that ability to steer topics while we're talking to each other.
但你难道不觉得
But don't you have
要引导话题,就必须非常擅长沟通吗?
to be really good at communicating in order to steer the topics?
你不需要
You do not
擅长沟通。
have to be good.
你不用。
You don't.
你只需要知道它正在发生。
You just have to know that it's happening.
所以我认为,当你说到你要谈什么话题时,人们通常会想到开场话题。
And so I think often when you say like, what topic you're gonna talk about, people think about the opening topic.
比如,
Like, Well,
让我们设身处地想想。
let's put us at the scene.
你会如何运用四部分框架中的‘茶话题’部分,比如说你去约会时?
How would you use the tea topic part of the four part framework to let's say you're going out on a date.
嗯。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
你如何利用话题来帮助自己成为更好的沟通者?
How do you use topic to help you be a better communicator?
任何去约会的人都已经在考虑要穿什么、怎么打理头发、涂什么妆、在哪家餐厅见面、做什么活动。
Anyone who's going out on a date is already thinking about what they're gonna wear, how they're gonna do their hair, what makeup they're gonna put on, where they're gonna what restaurant they're gonna meet at, what activity they're gonna do.
没错。
Yep.
我们事先都会做所有这些准备。
We do all of this prep work ahead of time.
嗯。
Uh-huh.
只有10%的人会考虑到达那里后要聊什么。
Only 10% of people think about what they're gonna talk about once they get there.
你花了这么多时间洗澡、穿衣、预订餐厅。
You're spending so much time showering and getting dressed and making the reservation at the restaurant.
与此同时,你也应该想想,等我们见面后,有哪些话题能让我们聊得开心。
At the same time, you should be thinking about what are some things that'll be fun for us to talk about once we're together.
所以是话题准备。
So topic prep.
哦。
Oh.
这是第一步。
That's step number one.
提前思考。
Think ahead.
哇。
Wow.
你可以为任何事情都这么做。
And you could do that for anything.
如果你要和家人聚会,也可以这么做。
You could do that if you're getting together with your family.
所以,如果你对和家人之间总是老生常谈感到厌倦的话。
So if you're tired of the same old same old with your family.
嗯。
Yeah.
比如想想一些有趣的话题或者可以问的问题。
Like think about interesting things that you could talk about or questions to ask.
如果你从来没考虑过这件事,要怎么学会做好话题准备呢?
How do you even teach yourself to be good at topic prep if you've never even thought about this?
你只需要开始去做就行了。
You just have to start doing it.
你什么意思?
What do you mean?
很多人对话题准备都很抵触,尤其是和熟人在一起的时候。
So a lot of people are very averse to topic prep, especially with people they know well.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
他们觉得,对于自己非常亲近的人,不应该还需要提前规划话题。
They feel like they shouldn't need to plan topics for someone that they're very close to.
他们认为,一旦聚在一起,自然就知道该聊什么了。
They'll just know what to talk about once they're together.
我就是这样的。
I'm guilty of that.
是啊。
Yeah.
这很正常。
It's normal.
很多人都有这种感觉。
A lot of people feel that way.
所以我们就会问:你孩子怎么样?工作还顺利吗?最近怎么样?看
Which is why we then go, how are your kids and how is work and what's going Look
天气。
the weather.
是的。
Yes.
哦,我们来谈谈桌上这道开胃菜吧。
Oh, let's talk about the appetizer in front of us on this table.
我们倾向于抓住环境中触手可及、容易谈论的东西。
We tend to grab things that are right there in our environment that are easy to talk about.
好的。
Okay.
但这并不意味着这是该谈的话题。
But it doesn't mean it's the right thing to talk about.
这也不是最有趣的谈话内容。
It's not the most fun thing to talk about.
稍微提前想一想。
A little bit of forethought.
我们对此做过研究。
So we have research on this.
我们研究过,让一些人提前三十秒为对话 brainstorm 一些可能的话题。
We've studied, people who we ask to even spend thirty seconds, thirty seconds ahead of a conversation brainstorming possible topics that they could talk about.
然后我们让他们去进行对话,与那些直接走进来、像平常一样进行对话的人进行对比。
Then we let them go and have their conversation versus people who just walk in and have the conversation like you normally would have.
即使那些提前准备了三十秒的人最终没有提及这些话题,他们的对话也更好。
The people who have prepped even for thirty seconds, even if they don't end up raising those topics, their conversation is better.
更令人愉快。
It's more enjoyable.
更流畅。
It's more fluent.
你不会那么焦虑。
You're less anxious.
你知道那种恐慌的时刻吗?当你不确定,觉得对话变得无聊,需要换话题,但你却不知道该说什么。
You know those little panicky moments when you're not sure, you know that something's getting boring and you need to switch, but you don't
知道
know
是的。
where Yes.
这种情况不会再发生了。
To That doesn't happen anymore.
你脑子里随时都有备选话题,就像放在口袋里一样。
You've got options like in your back pocket, in your mind.
哦,没错。
Oh, yeah.
如果出现冷场,我需要记得问问他们家孩子参加冰球选拔的事。
If there's a lag, I need to remember to ask about their kid who'd had tried out for the hockey team.
对吧?
Right?
所以你总有个备选话题,用来应对那些紧张的时刻。
So you've always got an option, a backup plan for the panicky moments.
结果发现,这也能让对话变得愉快得多。
Turns out, it makes the conversation much more enjoyable as well.
你往往会更频繁地切换话题,并且更有可能谈到所有参与者都感兴趣的内容。
You tend to switch topics a little more frequently, and you're more likely to land on things that are mutually interesting to everybody involved.
所以,如果现在听的人非常内向,是的。
So if the person listening right now is super introverted Yeah.
非常害羞,而且他们现在因为‘我得想出话题’这个想法而恐慌,如果你觉得这对你来说不会自然发生,最好的帮助方式是什么?
Very shy, and they're now having a panic attack about this idea of I gotta come with topics, what is the best way to help you become good at doing this if you don't think that this is gonna come naturally to you?
完全对。
Totally.
我认为第一件事是别恐慌。
I think the first thing is don't have a panic attack.
这可能是你作为内向者一生中添加的最棒的工具。
This might be the greatest tool that you've ever added to your arsenal as an introvert in your life.
因为内向者在社交场合感到恐慌的很大原因,就是不知道该说什么。
Because so much of why introverts feel panicked once they're in social situations is that they don't know what to say.
他们真的不想面对这些困难的时刻。
They don't really want to approach these difficult moments.
提前准备一些话题能缓解所有这些压力。
Having some topics prepped eases all of that.
一旦你亲身体验到提前准备话题的神奇效果,你就会想:天啊,就是它了。
And once you experience the magic of topic prep in action, you're like, oh my god, this is it.
我这辈子早就该这么做。
I should have been doing this my whole life.
大多数情况下,你知道自己一天会见到谁。
For the most part, you know who you're gonna see in a day.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你可能知道具体的人是谁,比如你的孩子、配偶,以及那群同事。
You might know the specific people, whether it's your kids and your spouse and then the this set of colleagues.
知道你要见谁,意味着你可以为每个人个性化地准备话题。
Knowing who you're gonna see means that you can prep topics for all of them in a personalized way.
所以,给我讲讲你的一天吧。
So walk me through the day.
嗯。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们来过一遍这一天。
So we're going through the day.
你醒来。
You wake up.
你在孩子们上校车前见到他们。
You see your kids before they get on the school bus.
嗯。
Uh-huh.
你和你的配偶交谈。
And you're talking to your spouse.
你可以提前想好,我的每个孩子今天都在做什么?
You can think about ahead of time, what are each of my kids doing today?
他们的痛点是什么?
Where what are their pain points?
他们可能对什么感到兴奋?
What are they probably feeling excited about?
他们担心什么?
What are they nervous about?
他们的生活中正在发生什么?
What's going on in their life?
他们在学校有乐队吗?
Do they have band at school?
而不是仅仅说:记得带你的小号。
Instead of just being like, remember your trumpet.
你可以问:乐队怎么样?
You could be like, you know, how is band?
最近怎么样?
What's going on?
当你参加乐队时,感觉如何?
When you're in band, how do feel?
你对它有什么期待?
What are you looking forward to about it?
对吧?
Right?
比如,那样会有趣得多,确实如此。
Like, get that's gonna be so much more That's true.
比只是说‘别忘了带你的小号’,然后匆匆出门要有趣得多。
Interesting than just like, don't don't forget your trumpet and then rush out the door.
然后你去上班,你的同事比较安静,你可以和同事聊什么话题?
Then you get to work and your colleague who's kinda quiet, what's a topic that you could bring up with a colleague?
随便什么都行。
Anything.
我的意思是,这取决于同事。
I mean, it depends on the colleague.
对吧?
Right?
想象一下,你有一个你很喜欢的同事,你在关心他们的生活。
Let's imagine that it's a colleague that you love and you were thinking about their life.
他们刚有了一个孩子。
They just had a new child.
我的意思是,问问情况怎么样。
I mean, ask about how that's going.
你知道,生个孩子是一件既创伤又重大的事情。
You know, having a new child is a traumatic and dramatic thing.
情况怎么样?
How's it going?
你换了这么多尿布吗?
Are you changing so many diapers?
随便吧。
Whatever.
或者他们上周做了个重要的演示,你知道的。
Or they had a big you know they had a big presentation last week.
结果怎么样?
How did it go?
有什么好的地方?
What was good about it?
有什么困难的?
What was hard?
有什么我能帮你的吗
Anything I can help you
在这上面?
with on it?
现在给我一个关于我爸妈的例子,因为我总是和他们聊同样的对话。
Now give me one from my mom and dad because I have the same conversation with them over and over and over.
怎么样?
How'd it go?
你做了什么?
What'd you do?
高尔夫打得怎么样?
How was golf?
今晚你有什么安排?
What are you doing tonight?
你知道吗?
You know what?
我妹妹最近为我父母做了一件特别棒的事。
So my my sister just did the most amazing thing with my for my parents.
她实际上用ChatGPT来帮他们准备话题。
She actually, used ChatGPT to ask to prep topics with them.
你怎么做到的?
How do you do that?
所以她向ChatGPT输入了内容。
So she she typed in to ChatGPT.
她就说:你觉得那些住在纽约上州、七十多岁、有九个孙辈的人,希望我问他们什么样的问题?
She was like, what do you think people who live in Upstate New York in their seventies who have nine grandchildren, what are the types of questions that they want me to ask them?
什么?
What?
对。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
因为你知道,互联网比我们个人更了解这个年龄段和地域的人群。
Because, you know, the Internet knows that demographic better than we as individuals could possibly know that demographic.
我都能听见听的人在那儿嗒、嗒、嗒、嗒、嗒地敲击键盘,
I can literally hear the person listening tap, tap, tap, tap, tap,
每个人的生活,你都可以用它来准备话题。
tap, tap about everybody in their life.
你生活中每个人,你都可以用它来准备话题。
Everyone in your life, you could use it to prep topics.
你甚至可以问:查蒂普蒂,你觉得那个因为这个原因不太喜欢我的同事会怎么想?
You could even say, chattypty, what do you think this colleague who doesn't really like me because of this reason?
我们曾经因为这件事吵过一架,现在他们生我的气了。
We got in an argument once about this thing and now they're mad at me.
他们希望我怎么做?
What would they want me to do?
如果有的话,他们想和我聊些什么?
What would they wanna talk about with me if anything?
这太疯狂了。
It's wild.
你知道吗,你真的很聪明。
Know, you're really smart.
你应该考虑开一门关于这个的课。
You should consider teaching a class on this.
更好沟通的谈话框架的第二部分是什么?
What is the second part of the talk framework for communicating better?
嗯。
Yeah.
所以A代表提问。
So a is for asking.
K。
K.
嗯。
Yeah.
多问些问题。
Ask more questions.
问更好的问题。
Ask better questions.
你现在让我慌了,因为我并不
Now you're making me panic because I don't
知道我的问题会不会更好。
know if my question's gonna be better.
什么是更好的问题?
What is a better question?
你本身就是一个很棒的问题回答者。
You're already a great question answer.
我的意思是,你看,你已经准备好了话题。
I mean, look, you've prepped topics.
是的。
Yes.
而且你问了这么多问题。
And you're asking so many questions.
我们已经有一个很好的开始了,梅尔。
We're already off to a great start, Mel.
所以有趣的是,你可能会注意到一个模式:在每一次对话中,一旦你进入其中,就会感到非常压倒性。
So what's so funny is a pattern that you might pick up on here is that in every conversation, once you're in it, it's very overwhelming.
你需要做出大量的选择。
There's a you're making tons of choices.
你正在努力倾听对方在说什么。
You're trying to listen to what the other person is saying.
你正在努力理解它。
You're trying to process it.
你还在尝试完成一个小小的创意任务:如何想出一些有趣的话来回应他们。
You're trying to do this tiny creativity task of how do I come up with something interesting to say back to them.
这对你的大脑来说真的很吃力。
That's really hard on your brain.
这需要大量的认知努力。
That's a lot of cognitive effort.
所以,任何在对话前能提前做的准备,比如话题准备,都会有帮助。
So anything you can do ahead of the conversation, like topic prep is helpful.
在对话过程中使用的任何技巧也会有帮助。
And any sort of trick that you can have during the conversation can also be helpful.
这就是为什么提问是一种超能力。
And that's why asking questions is such a superpower.
你不需要提前准备。
You don't need to have prepped it ahead of time.
你只需要倾听伴侣在说什么,然后对此提出问题。
All you need to do is listen to what your partner is saying and ask about it.
多问一些关于它的内容。
Ask more about it.
那么,如何
Well, how
更好地提问或多提问如何增进联系并提升你的沟通能力?
can asking better questions or asking more questions improve connection and make you better communicating?
我们无法理解他人的观点,是阻碍冲突管理和建立联系的巨大障碍。
Our inability to understand other people's perspectives is a huge barrier to conflict management and connection.
解决这个问题的良方就是提问。
The antidote to that is question asking.
它能直接将你脑海中的想法传达给我。
It is a direct pathway to get what's in your head out of your head and share it with me.
在我的课堂上,我们做一个叫做‘无尽追问’的练习。
In my class, we do an exercise called never ending follow-up questions.
哎呀。
Uh-oh.
你想试试吗?
Do you wanna try?
我感觉我们马上就要做了。
I have a feel like we're about to do this.
是的。
Yes.
你想试试吗?
Do you wanna try it?
是的。
Yes.
好的。
Okay.
我会提问,你来回答,然后我们可以交换角色。
I'll ask questions and you answer and then maybe we can switch roles.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
梅尔,你今天早上吃了什么早餐?
Mel, what did you have for breakfast this morning?
一杯奶昔。
A smoothie.
哦,你的奶昔里有什么?
Oh, what was in your smoothie?
里面有这种蛋白粉,一点蜂蜜,两个我们挤出汁的柠檬,还有一些水,然后搅一搅,一饮而尽。
It was this protein powder and a little bit of honey and two lemons that that we squeeze and then some water and then zip zip it up and then slurp it down.
听起来真健康。
That sounds so healthy.
如果你的理想早餐,会是这种蛋白奶昔吗?
If you had your dream breakfast, would it be this protein smoothie?
你理想中的早餐会有什么?
What would be in your dream breakfast?
这要看是哪一天。
It depends on the day.
我这个人有点挑剔,但‘挑剔’这个词不太准确。
I'm a very kind of picky is the wrong word.
我是那种会根据心情来吃东西的人。
I'm the kind of person that I eat based on my mood.
所以有些早晨,我的理想早餐是炒蛋、牛油果和泡菜。
So some mornings dream breakfast would be scrambled eggs, avocado, kimchi.
另一天,可能就是这杯奶昔了。
Another day, it might be the smoothie.
还有些日子,
Another day,
可能是别的东西。
it might be something else.
太棒了。
Amazing.
所以你喜欢变化。
So you like variety.
你觉得这种每天对变化的需求是从哪里来的?
Where do you think that like need for variety comes from every day?
为什么你会满足于每天都吃同样的东西呢?
Why would you be happy having the same thing
得跟你分享一下我的感受。
gotta every share how I feel
当我做时,告诉我你怎么样。
when I'm doing Tell me how you're doing it.
告诉我进展如何。
Tell me how it's going.
这太神奇了,因为我知道你真的很有兴趣。
It's amazing because I can tell you're really interested.
所以每当你问一个问题,我都会想,哦,她真的对我早餐的内容感兴趣,我的早餐非常有趣。
And so as every question you ask, I'm like, oh, she's really interested in what I have for oh, my breakfast is very interesting.
因此,你正在展示这句话:要想有趣,先对别人感兴趣。
And so you're demonstrating that saying in order to be interesting, be interested in somebody else.
没错。
Exactly.
而且你知道,我们都知道,我正在做一件非常极端的事情。
And you know, we both know, we have this common knowledge that I'm doing this very extreme thing.
每次我刚说完,我都会接着问一个跟进的问题。
I'm asking a follow-up question every time I talked just then.
是的。
Yes.
这听起来太极端了。
That sounds so extreme.
这听起来问了很多问题。
That sounds like a lot of questions.
而且我的一些学生会说,这难道不是一种操纵吗?
And it also some of my students are like, isn't this manipulative?
如果你知道你就要这么做,这会不会削弱我们的真实性?
If you know that that's what you're gonna do, doesn't that undermine our authenticity?
对方真的会感觉你想要了解他们的早餐吗?
Do is the other person gonna actually feel like you wanna learn about their breakfast?
我会说,朋友们,即使你知道自己在这么做,我依然非常在意。
And I'm like, guys, even if you know that's what you're doing, I still really care.
我真的很想听你讲讲你的早餐、你的习惯,以及你喜欢什么。
I really wanna hear about your breakfast and your habits and what you what you like.
这只是一个小小的引导,让你做得更好一点。
It's just a nudge to do it a little bit better.
如果
What if
你非常擅长提问,但你有没有注意到,你和大多数人交谈时,他们从不问你任何关于你的问题?
you get really good at asking questions and you notice most people you talk to never ask you a question about you?
听好了,我们都
Listen, we've all
经历过那种约会,梅尔。
been on that date, Mel.
我们都和那些我们称之为ZQ的人约会过。
We've all been on a date with we call these people ZQs.
ZQ?
ZQs?
零提问者。
Zero questions.
提问者。
Questioners.
我希望,也是我想对听众说的:不要在一场对话结束时一句提问都没问过。
My hope and what I wanna say to the people listening is don't leave a conversation having asked zero questions.
但如果你是那个一直倾听别人的人,该怎么办呢?
But what do you do if
那你是不是一直在为别人付出?
you're the one who's just poured into somebody else?
是啊。
Yeah.
然后对方却一点反应都没有?
And that it's like crickets?
是啊。
Yeah.
正如生活中的所有事情一样,你无法控制别人在对话中做什么。
Well, as in all things in life, you don't have control over what other people do in a conversation.
但你可以反思自己能控制的部分,比如,试着转向一个他们更可能向你提问的新话题。
Reflecting about what you do have control over, like, okay, well, let's try and shift to a new topic that maybe they're more likely to ask me a question.
也许我们可以转向某个你有专长、他们也知道你有专长的领域。
Maybe we shift to something where you have some expertise and they know you have expertise.
所以他们应该会更多地向你提问,问你问题。
So they should ask you even more that you have, ask you questions.
所以你不应该回敬一些侮辱性的话,或者像哈佛商学院教的那种拐弯抹角的奉承话?
So you shouldn't like say something insulting back or there's no back handed compliment that you're teaching in at Harvard Business School to say to somebody?
我知道。
I know.
我知道。
I I know.
那是个玩笑,但确实烦得要命。
That was kind of a joke, but it's it is annoying as hell though.
真的很烦。
It's really annoying.
真的很烦。
It's really annoying.
我想你只是说要心里记一下。
I guess you're just saying make a mental note.
我的意思是,回到约会这个情境中。
I mean, when you and in the context let's go back to this context of dating.
如果你和某人约会,他们整个约会、两次完整约会、三次完整约会,却根本不问你任何问题。
If you're on a date with somebody, they go a whole date, two whole dates, three whole dates, not asking you much at all.
这可能是你不再继续和他们约会的正当理由。
That could be a legitimate reason to not keep dating them.
那为什么还要继续呢?
Well, why would you?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,如果两次约会后,他们连一个问题都没问过你。
Mean If after two dates, they don't ask you a single question.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我觉得这是个巨大的危险信号。
I mean, I think that's a gigantic red flag.
我中途离开了那次约会
I left a date
有一次,约会进行了大约二十分钟,我就离开了,因为
in the middle after like twenty minutes once because
你也会这么做吗?
you do that?
我借口去洗手间。
I I excused myself to the bathroom.
我看着镜子里的自己,心想:这根本不可能成功。
I looked right into the mirror, and I was like, this is never gonna work.
你不可能和一个人共度余生,而这个人仅仅二十分钟内就让你感到愤怒,因为他对你毫无兴趣。
I can't be with someone for the rest you can't be with someone for the rest of your life who within twenty minutes has made you feel infuriated that they're not interested in you.
于是,就这样结束了。
And so that was that.
我们都想知道,布鲁克斯教授,当你走回桌子时,你说了什么?
And we all wanna know, professor Brooks, when you walked back to the table, what did you say?
嗯。
Yeah.
我说这挺好的。
I said this was really nice.
我们会再联系的。
We'll follow-up.
祝你好运。
Good luck.
我就直接走了。
And I just I left.
我后来确实给他发了消息,也给了他反馈,因为我说,你知道吗,他一点都没问起我的事,这让我有点沮丧。
I did text him later, and I did give him the feedback because I did say, you know, I really was was it a little frustrating that he didn't ask me anything about myself.
我通常不会对别人这么做,但那次我觉得他真的需要知道。
I don't usually do that with people, but in that case, it just seemed like he really needed to know.
那他怎么说?
And what did he say?
我想他当时说,哦,我很抱歉。
I think he was like, oh, I'm so sorry.
至少他
Well, at least he
说了点什么。
said something.
没错。
Exactly.
哇。
Wow.
但还是没问任何问题,梅尔。
Still no question though, Mel.
但既然这是你的专业领域,你对这种情况了解多少?
But based on the fact that this is your area of expertise, what do you know about those situations?
嗯。
Yeah.
你身边有些人,无论是家人、同事、上司还是朋友,从来不会关心你的情况。
Where you're either have a family member or you have a colleague or a boss or a friend that actually never asks anything about you.
是的。
Yeah.
根据研究和你的经验,你如何解读这种情况呢?
Based on the research and your experience, what is the kind interpretation Yeah.
这种状况该怎么理解呢?
Of that situation?
是的。
Yeah.
人们不问问题的原因有很多,并不全是不感兴趣。
There's a lot that holds people back from asking questions and it's not all disinterest.
好的。
Okay.
有时候,这又是出于自我中心。
Sometimes it's it's again, this self centeredness.
有些人甚至根本想不到要提问,因为他们太专注于自己,专注于自己脑海中的事,以及自己能分享和让你惊叹的内容。
They so there are some people who don't even think to ask questions because they're so focused on themselves and what's going on in their own mind and what they can share and dazzle you with.
但另一些时候,人们意识到他们应该提问,却因为害怕而难以做到。
Other times though, people realize they should be asking questions and they struggle to do it because they're afraid.
他们害怕过于侵入他人隐私。
They're afraid of being too intrusive.
他们害怕问出的问题会让自己显得无能,好像本该早就知道答案一样。
They're afraid that they ask something that it'll makes them look incompetent, like they should already know the answer.
这些恐惧通常都是多余的。
And these fears are usually misplaced.
但这些恐惧确实阻碍了人们提出问题。
But those fears do hold people back from asking questions.
明白了。
Got it.
这是一种相当体贴的解读。
That is a kind interpretation.
是的,没错。
Yes, it is.
这真是个绝佳的时机,让我们稍作暂停,听一下我们杰出赞助商的广告。
This feels like a great place to hit the pause button real quick so we can hear a word from our amazing sponsors.
请别走开,布鲁克斯教授还有很多关于沟通科学的知识要教给我们,短暂休息后我们继续深入探讨。
Don't go anywhere because Professor Brooks has so much more to teach you and me about the science of communication and we're gonna dig into it after a short break.
请继续关注。
Stay with us.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我是你的朋友梅尔·罗宾斯。
It's your friend Mel Robbins.
很高兴你在这里,并抽出时间聆听这段内容。
I'm so glad you're here and that you are taking the time to listen to this.
我们现在正在学习哈佛最受欢迎的课程之一,主题是沟通的科学。
We are getting the crash course in one of the most popular classes at Harvard all about the science of communication.
那么,布鲁克斯教授,倾听在您的四部分框架中处于什么位置?
So professor Brooks, where does listening fall into your four part framework?
我们已经讨论了话题选择和提问,但倾听呢?
Because we've talked about topic selection and asking questions, but what about listening?
是的。
Yeah.
很有趣的是,这个框架被称为‘谈话’,而倾听才是将一切维系在一起的粘合剂。
It's funny that this framework is called talk because listening is the glue that holds it all together.
它极其重要。
It's so very important.
我知道你有注意力方面的问题。
I know that you have attention challenges.
我也有注意力方面的问题。
I also have attention challenges.
事实证明,大多数人都有注意力方面的挑战。
Turns out most humans have attention challenges.
我们的大脑在静息状态下处于心神游离的状态。
Our minds our resting state of our minds is in a mind wandering mode.
因此,对话要求我们持续地将游离的思绪集中在另一个人身上,这极其具有挑战性。
And so the demand of conversation to try and focus our wandering minds on another person continuously for a whole conversation is incredibly challenging.
这需要付出大量努力。
It takes a lot of hard work.
有些人在这方面比其他人更擅长。
Some people are better at it than others.
但如果你努力投入与某人的交流,即使你的思绪在游离,你也应该为此得到认可。
But if you put in that hard work to be engaged with somebody, even while your mind is wandering, you should get credit for it.
在我们的研究中,我们探讨了如何为良好的倾听获得认可。
And in our research, we've studied the ways that you can get credit for your good listening.
你所说的‘获得认可’是什么意思?
By get credit, what do you mean?
我的意思是,你希望对方知道你确实听到了他们的话。
So get credit meaning you want your partner to know that you've that you've heard them.
天啊。
Oh god.
我觉得你正置身于我的婚姻之中。
I feel like you're in the middle of my marriage.
因为我和我丈夫聊天时,我经常做别的事,于是就背对着他,这种情况已经发生过无数次了。
Because I can't tell you how many times I've been in a conversation with my husband and I'm doing something, so I turn my back on him.
嗯。
Yeah.
然后他就会问:你在听我说吗?
And he's like, are you listening to me?
然后我就一字不差地复述他刚说的话。
And then I parrot back word for word what he just said.
很好。
Good.
然后我们就陷入一种小争执,他说:我不是问你有没有听到我。
And then we get into this little thing where he's like, I didn't ask if you heard me.
我问你有没有在听,是因为我觉得你根本没在听。
I asked if you're listening because I don't feel like you are.
好的。
Okay.
我们来分解一下‘倾听’。
Let's break down listening.
这非常普遍。
This is so this is incredibly common.
明白吗?
Okay?
好吧。
Okay.
倾听分为三个步骤。
So listening is three steps.
第一步是听到并看到你的伴侣。
The first step is hearing and seeing your partner.
对方给你的一切线索——他们的言语、声音的语调、非语言行为,所有通过你的眼睛和耳朵接收到的信息,这就是倾听的物理层面。
All of the cues that the person is giving to you, their words, the sound of their voice, their nonverbal behaviors, everything that comes in through your eyes and ears, that's the sort of physical part of listening.
然后你的大脑进行第二步,即我会思考我所听到和看到的一些内容。
Then your brain does step two, which is I'm gonna think about some of the stuff that I'm hearing and seeing.
我会在脑海中对这些内容进行延伸和展开。
I'm gonna elaborate on it in my mind.
第三步是对话所独有的一个环节,即我可以向你反馈,让你知道我听到了,并且认真思考了。
Step three is this unique thing that's offered by conversation, which is I can show back to you that I heard you and that I was thinking about it.
明白吗?
Okay?
这就是我们获得认可的方式。
And that's how we get our credit.
这就是你获得认可的方式。
And that's how you get our credit.
因此,数十年来关于积极倾听的研究主要集中在非语言层面。
So the decades of research on active listening have mostly focused on nonverbal.
你背对着丈夫,这让他觉得你没有在听他说话,因为你的非语言行为与你内心的想法不一致。
So the fact that you turned your back on your husband makes him feel like you're not listening to him because your nonverbals were sort of incongruent with what was going on in your mind.
没错。
Correct.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以他可能会想:如果你真的愿意花力气认真听我说话,那为什么还要背对着我呢?
So he's sort of like, well, if you're gonna put in the hard work to actually listen to me, like, why don't turn your back on me?
这让我觉得你根本不在乎我说的话。
That makes me feel like you're not, you don't care about what I'm saying.
嗯。
Mhmm.
好的。
Okay.
几十年来,人们一直专注于这些非语言线索:保持眼神交流、点头、微笑、面对对方、与对方交谈时身体前倾。
So many decades of focus on these nonverbal cues, making eye contact, nodding, smiling, facing someone, leaning forward as you're talking to them.
这都很好。
That's all great.
这就像倾听入门课。
That's like listening one zero one.
明白吗?
Alright?
所以别背对
So don't turn
你的丈夫
your back
如果你在听的话,而且要
on your husband if you're listening And to
我肯定不会在我们谈话时转椅子。
I'm definitely not gonna swivel this chair while we're talking.
没错。
Exactly.
我们可以试试。
We could try it.
但更高级一点的倾听二零一课,是用你的话来向对方表明你听到了他们。
But the listening two zero one, sort of more advanced, is using your words to show someone that you've heard them.
所以,虽然点头、微笑和面对对方这些动作可以伪装。
So while nodding and smiling and facing someone can be faked.
对吧?
Right?
即使你面对着你的丈夫,你也可能一边点头微笑,一边根本没在听他说话。
Even if you were facing your husband, you could have been nodding and smiling and not listening to him.
是的。
Yeah.
你能一字不差地复述他的话,他应该会非常高兴。
The fact that you were able to repeat back exactly what he said, he should be thrilled.
对吧?
Right?
真的是在认真听他说话。
Like, really were listening to him.
嗯,你能复述出来,但你当时的非语言信号并没有让他感到被理解。
Well And you were able to repeat it back, but you didn't make him feel heard in that moment with your with your nonverbal cues.
嗯。
Yeah.
因为语气带着讽刺。
Because the tone of voice was snarky.
我听到了你所说的每一句话。
I heard everything that you said.
所以,嗯。
So Uh-huh.
这确实是我的问题。
That was bad on me.
这是其中一部分。
That's part of it.
嗯。
Yep.
这是其中一部分。
That's part of it.
但用你自己的话表达真的很重要。
But this using your words is really important.
所以最好的倾听往往是通过语言表达的。
So the best listening often is spoken.
它包括复述对方对你说过的话。
It includes repeating back what someone has said to you.
它还可以通过认可或肯定对方及其感受来实现,比如说:‘我听出来你对这件事有点难过。’
It can be in validating or affirming them and their feelings, saying like, oh, I'm hearing that you sound a bit little bit sad about that.
你因为没在学校戏剧中获得角色而感到难过,这是很正常的。
It makes sense that you would feel sad about whatever, the fact that you didn't win the role in the school play.
只是说‘你对某事有某种感受,这是很合理的’,这是你能对他人说的最有力量的语句之一。
Just saying that, it makes sense that you feel X about Y is one of the most powerful phrases that you can say to another person.
我听到同事们在工作中常说的一句最有力量的话是:我听到你说的是这个。
Well, one of the most powerful things that I hear my colleagues say at work is, what I heard you say is this.
嗯。
Yeah.
接下来我要这么做。
And this is what I'm gonna do.
嗯。
Yeah.
对吗?
Is that right?
嗯。
Yeah.
我一听到这句话,就立刻觉得:天啊,被听到了。
And then the second I hear that, I'm like, oh my gosh, heard.
嗯。
Yeah.
这完全正确。
It's it's exactly right.
所以他们在确认。
So they're they're affirming.
他们在认可你所说的话。
They're acknowledging what you said.
他们在确认你所说的话。
They're affirming what you said.
他们也在检查以确保自己明确理解了你的意思。
They're also checking to make sure they've understood you explicitly.
语言学家称之为接地。
Linguists call this grounding.
这是确保你们的共同理解确实是共享且准确的。
It's making sure that your shared understanding actually is shared and it's accurate.
如果不够准确,它会给你机会去修正、纠正,说:哦,这其实不是我的本意。
And if it's not accurate, it gives you the opportunity to repair it, to correct it and say, oh, that's not actually what I meant.
我的意思是这样。
What I meant was this.
我们在与他人交谈时,一直在进行这种检查和修正的过程。
And we're constantly doing that checking and repairing process while we talk to other people.
所以,倾听真的非常有力量。
And so speaking your listening is so powerful.
跟进问题也起到同样的作用。
Follow-up questions do the same thing.
只有在你听清楚了他们说的话之后,才能进行跟进。
You can only follow-up if you've heard what they said before.
没错。
True.
复述。
Paraphrasing.
如果你在一群人中,其他几个人已经说了些什么,你可以说:好吧,我听到的是,我认为我们整个团队都觉得想要玩得开心,但同时也需要做出这个艰难的决定。
If you're in a group and a couple other people have said something, you can say, okay, what I'm hearing here is, I think we as a group feel like we wanna have fun, but we also need to make this hard decision.
对吗?
Is that right?
所以在团队情境中,总结前面的人说过的话是另一种方式。
So just kind of summarizing what people before you have said is another way of doing it in the sort of group context.
太棒了。
Amazing.
是的。
Yeah.
既然您在哈佛商学院任教,我很想请您解释一下这为什么重要。
Since you teach us at Harvard Business School, I would love for you to just explain why this matters.
是的。
Yeah.
因为倾听似乎只是为了与人建立联系,但它在工作中是一项非常重要的技能。
Because it may seem as though listening is important just to be able to connect with people, But it's a really important skill at work.
没错。
Yeah.
因为如果你在开会时,突然有个人总结了他们听到的所有内容。
Because if you're in a meeting and somebody all of a sudden is summarizing everything that they heard.
嗯。
Yeah.
你会转过头去看他
You turn and look
看着那个人,或者想,这个人真有分量。
at that person or like, oh, that person's powerful.
嗯。
Yeah.
那么,我们到目前为止讨论的这些技能——话题选择、积极倾听以展现理解——如何转化为更大的权威和影响力,无论是在工作、家庭还是友谊中。
And so how does the skills that we've talked about so far, topic selection, asking this active listening that demonstrates something translate to more authority and influence, whether it's at work or it's in your home or it's in a friendship.
嗯。
Yeah.
真正的权力、权威和影响力就来源于此。
This is where real power and authority and influence come from.
当我们想到那些有魅力且有能力的人时,他们就是在这么做。
When When we think of people who are charismatic and competent, this is what they're doing.
他们真的在倾听。
They are actually listening.
他们付出艰苦的努力去倾听他人。
They're putting in the hard work to listen to other people.
他们付出艰苦的努力去思考,然后把想法说出来。
They're putting in the hard work to think about it, and then they are saying it out loud.
他们会说:哇,我真听到了你说的,感觉你可能对这件事有些焦虑。
They are saying, wow, I really heard you say this, and it seemed like you maybe feel anxious about this thing.
你能多跟我讲讲吗?
Can you tell me more about that?
仅仅能做到这一点就已经非常了不起了。
Just being able to do that is incredible.
当我们谈论人际交往情境时,这正是能力的体现。
It that is sort of the found what competence is when we're talking about interpersonal contexts.
真的太对了。
It's so true.
所以,谈话的四部分框架中,L是什么?
So the four part framework of talk, what is L?
L是轻松幽默,梅尔。
L is levity, Mel.
谢天谢地。
Thank goodness.
轻松幽默包括幽默的时刻,但也包括温暖的非幽默时刻。
It's levity, and levity includes moments of humor, but also unfunny moments of warmth.
而轻松幽默是消除无聊的良方。
And levity is the antidote for boredom.
为什么幽默是你想提升沟通能力时如此强大的工具?
Why is humor such a powerful tool if you wanna be better at communicating?
是的。
Yeah.
听好了。
Listen.
当我们想到那些失控或不顺利的对话时,很容易想到那些看起来愤怒、敌对、有冲突或分歧的对话。
When we think of conversations that have gone off the rails or have not gone well, it's very easy to think of conversations that seemed angry or hostile or there was conflict or disagreement.
嗯。
Mhmm.
因为这太明显了。
Because it's so obvious.
比如,你们在互相大喊大叫。
Like, you're yelling at each other.
你们在争吵。
You're arguing.
是啊。
Yeah.
但比冲突更常见、也更隐蔽地摧毁对话的,是无聊和心不在焉。
But what is a quieter killer of conversation and probably more common than conflict is boredom and disengagement.
我们对彼此说的话并不感兴趣。
We're not interested in what we're saying to each other.
一旦任何一方变得不感兴趣,就无法建立良好的连接。
And as soon as either person becomes disinterested, you can't have that good connection.
你再也无法取得进展了。
You can't make progress anymore.
而幽默感,这些短暂的闪亮与活力时刻,能将我们重新拉回对话中。
And levity, these fleeting moments of sparkle and fizz, they pull us back in.
它们能消除无聊。
They they fix the boredom.
闪亮与活力。
Sparkle and fizz.
你如何创造这种氛围?
How do you create that?
因为你有一些非常有趣的研究,表明自嘲确实是一种非常有力的做法。
Because you have some really interesting research about how making fun of yourself really is a powerful thing to do.
你能为我们分享一下这项研究吗?
Can you can you share a bit of this research for us?
可以。
Yes.
可以。
Yes.
这是人们经常思考的问题。
So this is something people think about all the time.
我应该取笑自己吗?
Should I should I make fun of myself?
这样做会让事情变得更有趣、更搞笑吗?
Will that make things feel more fun and funny?
你可以以一种方式来做,用一种自嘲幽默的方式来表达。
So you can do it in a way you can deliver it in a way that it's like self deprecating humor.
你在取笑自己。
You're making fun of yourself.
你也可以以一种完全不搞笑的方式来做,但你在分享完整的自己。
You can also do it in a way that's not funny at all, but you're sharing your whole self.
对吧?
Right?
你不仅谈论自己的成功,还分享了在通往成功道路上遇到的失败和挣扎。
You're not just talking about your successes, but also, the failures and struggles that you encountered on your pathway to success.
对于那些已经拥有高地位、有权势、受人尊敬、被认为有能力的领导者来说,这是一种特别有效的策略。
This is a particularly effective strategy for people who already have high status, who are powerful, who are respected, who are known as competent, for leaders.
这是一种向所有人表明:嘿,看吧,我也和你们一样。
It's a way to say to everybody, hey, look, I'm like you too.
我是一个普通人。
I'm a human being.
我并不是每件事都做得对。
I'm I don't do this thing right.
这是我在通往成功路上收到的一些负面反馈。
Here's some negative feedback that I got on my way to success.
这非常非常有力。
It's so, so powerful.
对于地位较低的人而言,使用自嘲幽默或展示失败更有风险,为什么?
It is riskier for people who are low status to use self deprecating humor or Why?
或者展示他们的失败。
To Or to reveal their failures.
当你地位较低时,你能选择的、会被他人认可的方式范围更窄。
When you're low status, you have a narrower range of options available to you that will be seen.
人们可能会开始质疑你的能力。
People might actually start to question your competence.
哦。
Oh.
这就是为什么地位低感觉如此局限和束缚。
And that's why being low status feels so limiting and so constraining.
那么,作为
So how do you, as
哈佛商学院教授,您是如何定义低地位的?
a Harvard Business School professor, define low status?
因为我觉得,如果我们打开人们的头脑,会发现很多人对自己非常苛刻,完全如此。
Because I I would imagine if we cracked open people's heads, a lot of people are so punishing to themselves Totally.
他们因为自我怀疑而认为自己地位低下。
That they believe that they have a low status based on self doubt.
但您说的是哪种情况呢?
But what are you talking about?
对于学者而言,地位被定义为他人眼中的喜爱、尊重和声望。
So status for scholars is defined as liking and respect and prestige in the eyes of other people.
好的。
Okay.
对吗?
Okay?
所以,是别人是否喜欢我、是否尊重我?
So it's liking and do people respect me?
这里有个好消息,梅尔。
There's really good news here, Mel.
好的。
Okay.
每个群体都有一种地位等级。
Which is every group has a sort of status hierarchy.
明白吗?
Okay?
人们很容易就能分辨出谁地位高、谁地位低、谁居中。
People pretty easily know who's high status, who's low status, who's in the middle.
但好消息是,这种地位变化的频率远超你的想象。
But the good news is it changes much more frequently than you think.
它不仅在一次对话或一个场合到另一个场合之间变化,还会在每一个话题之间变化。
It changes not only from one conversation or one place to the next, it changes from one topic to the next.
所以,想象你在一个群体中,正在参加一场会议。
So imagine you're in a group, you're having a meeting.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你在谈论一个你完全不了解的话题。
You're talking about something you don't know anything about.
嗯。
Mhmm.
在这个话题上你地位较低,而房间里可能有一些喧闹的专家。
You're low status on that topic, and there might be some raucous experts in the room.
这让人感到害怕。
That's intimidating.
你会想,我该怎么参与进来?
And you're like, how can I contribute to this?
这是一种糟糕的感觉。
It's a terrible feeling.
你觉得自己被忽视和边缘化了。
You feel invisible and marginalized.
嗯。
Yep.
突然间,话题转向了讨论:我们是否应该更新产假政策?
All of a sudden, the conversation shifts to talking about, oh, should we update our maternity leave policy?
而突然间,如果你是房间里唯一的女性,你就一下子成了最有话语权的人。
And all of a sudden, if you're the only woman in the room, you're all of a sudden, you're at the top of the heap.
明白吗?
Okay?
你拥有最丰富的亲身经验,最能为这场对话提供见解。
You have the most lived experience, the most knowledge to bring to this conversation.
所以,即使你在很多话题上感到地位低下,但一旦话题突然转变,你可能瞬间变得地位很高。
So even if you're feeling low status on many topics, if all of a sudden it switches to something else, you might all of a sudden become high status.
当我们有值得贡献的价值时,我们不应低估这种价值。
And we shouldn't underestimate the value of that when we have value to bring.
如果你正和朋友或同事坐在一起聊天
If you're sitting in a conversation with friends or something at work
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。