本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嘿。
Hey.
我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎收听梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
It's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins podcast.
哦,天哪。
Oh, boy.
今天,我们要聊的是如何掌控你的空闲时间。
Today, you and I are talking about how to take control of your free time.
我知道你在想什么。
And look, I know what you're thinking.
空闲时间?
Free time?
梅尔,我一点空闲时间都没有。
Mel, I have no free time.
我的意思是,我根本没时间考虑找更好的工作,因为我所有的时间都花在现在的工作上了。
I mean, I have no time to think about getting a better job because I spend all my time working at my current job.
我没有时间锻炼,因为我得花时间照顾孩子和父母。
I have no time to exercise because I gotta spend time taking care of these kids and my parents.
我没有时间和朋友一起玩乐。
I got no time for fun with friends.
我得去趟杂货店。
I gotta get to the grocery store.
我得完成这份待办事项清单。
I gotta get through this to do list.
如果你觉得自己没有时间,或者根本不知道时间都去哪儿了?
If you feel like you have no time or you have no idea, where does the time go?
嗯,你并不孤单,而且我有好消息要告诉你。
Well, you're not alone and I have good news.
劳拉·范德卡姆是《纽约时报》畅销书作家,也是一位时间管理研究员和专家,她在时间管理方面的研究改变了我的生活。
Laura Vanderkam, she's a New York Times bestselling author and time management researcher and expert whose work in time management has changed my life.
她来到这里就是为了改变你的生活。
She is here to change your life.
别担心,这不是一场关于效率的对话,因为你已经做得够多了。
And don't worry, this is not a conversation about productivity because you're already doing so much.
你不需要变得更高效。
You don't need to be more productive.
你需要理解时间的价值,并学会掌控它。
You need to understand the value of your time and how to take control of it.
劳拉将帮助你了解时间究竟去了哪里,以及如何在繁忙的日程中找到已有的空闲时间。
Laura will help you understand where your time is really going and how to find pockets of free time that are already in your busy schedule today.
她那些简单且有研究支持的方法,无论你多忙,都能让你现在就过上美好的生活。
Her simple research backed strategies will give you a good life right now, no matter how busy you are.
劳拉是一位真正懂行的专家。
Laura is an expert who gets it.
她已婚,有五个学龄期的孩子,和你一样,生活非常忙碌。
She's married, and they've got five school aged kids, and just like you, a really busy life.
所以她做了这项研究,今天来这里与你分享,让你不仅能掌控自己的时间,更能真正掌控自己的人生。
So she's done the research, and she is here to share it with you today so that you can not only take control of your time, you'll actually take control of your life.
嘿,我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎收听《梅尔·罗宾斯播客》。
Hey, it's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins Podcast.
能与你相聚并共度这段时光,总是让我倍感荣幸。
It is always such an honor to be together and to spend this time with you.
如果你是第一次收听,或是经人推荐来听这场对话,我谨代表《梅尔·罗宾斯播客》大家庭,向你表示热烈欢迎。
And if you're a new listener or you're here because somebody shared this conversation with you, I just want to personally welcome you to the Mel Robbins Podcast family.
今天,我们将与劳拉·范德坎姆一起坐下来聊聊,她会帮助你重新掌控自己的时间。
Today, you and I are sitting down with Laura Vanderkam, who is here to help you regain your time.
她非常务实,思维敏锐,并且即将颠覆你对时间的所有认知。
She's practical, she's sharp, and she's about to blow up everything you think you know about time.
劳拉是全球顶尖的时间管理专家之一。
Laura is one of the world's leading experts on time management.
她是九本畅销书的作者,其中包括《168小时》、《下班之后》以及她最新的畅销书《周二宁静法》。
She is the author of nine bestselling books, including one hundred and sixty eight Hours, Off the Clock, and her latest bestseller, Tranquility by Tuesday.
她已经在时间管理这一主题上开展了三个重要的研究项目。
She has conducted three major research projects on the topic of time.
她的作品曾登上《纽约时报》和《今日秀》等各大媒体平台,其TED演讲《如何掌控你的自由时间》观看量已超过1500万次。
Her work has been featured everywhere from The New York Times to the Today Show and her TED Talk, How to Gain Control of Your Free Time, has over 15,000,000 views.
她是一位养育五个孩子的忙碌母亲,而且不仅仅只是写作和研究时间管理。
She's a busy mother of five and she doesn't just write and research time.
她建立了一个庞大的数据集,研究像你我这样的人如何度过每一天。
She's built a massive dataset on how people like you and me spend our days.
她知道你在哪里浪费时间,在哪里花费了太多时间,更重要的是,她今天将教你基于研究的九种策略,这些策略将帮助你以全新的视角看待时间,并在你现有的繁忙日程中找到空闲时间。
She knows where you're wasting time, where you're spending way too much time, and more importantly, she has nine strategies that you're gonna learn today based on the research that are gonna help you look at time completely differently and find pockets of free time in your busy schedule as it exists right now.
所以请和我一起欢迎劳拉·范德坎来到梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
So please help me welcome Laura Vanderkam to the Mel Robbins podcast.
劳拉·范德坎,欢迎你。
Laura Vanderkam, welcome.
谢谢邀请我。
Thanks for having me.
我真的很高兴来到这里。
I'm I'm so excited to be here.
所以我想从这里开始。
So here's how I wanna start.
我希望能直接对现在和我们在一起的这个人说话。
I would love to have you speak directly to the person who's with us right now.
有人时间不多,但他们特意抽出时间来向你学习。
Somebody who doesn't have a lot of time, but they have made the time to learn from you.
如果他们认真对待你即将分享的基于研究和专业经验的所有内容,他们的生活会发生什么不同?
What could you tell them is gonna be different about their life if they take everything to heart that you're about to share based on your research and your expertise about time?
很高兴你今天在这里。
I am so happy you are here today.
所有收听这个节目的人,我知道你们都是高效的人。
Anyone listening to this show, I know you are a productive person.
你们已经做了很多事。
You are getting a lot done.
人们都依赖着你们。
People depend on you.
你正在做你必须做的事。
You are doing the things you have to do.
我希望你为那些你想做的事腾出时间。
I want you to make time for the things you want to do.
对吧?
Right?
我希望每一个听这个节目的人,每天早上醒来时都知道,今天有一件令人兴奋而美好的事在等着你。
I want everyone listening to this to wake up in the morning knowing there's something exciting and wonderful waiting for you in the day.
这就是时间管理的真正意义。
That is what time management is about.
对吧?
Right?
它不是关于把更多你必须做的事塞进日程里。
It's not about squeezing more in that you have to do.
而是关于为你想做的事腾出空间
It's about making space for
那些美好的事情。
the good stuff.
劳拉,我已经惊讶得合不拢嘴了。
Laura, already, my mouth is on the floor.
你说了一些非常简单的话,我想确保你在听劳拉说或现在观看这个节目时能理解。
You said something so simple and I wanna make sure that you got it as you were listening to Laura or watching this right now.
你必须做的事情和你想要做的事情之间有很大的区别。
There's a big difference between the things you have to do and the things that you want to do.
在我生命中的大部分时间里,无论是由于工作压力大(工作总是有很多不得不做的事情),还是照顾孩子或年迈的父母,我都觉得我的整个生活充满了不得不做的事情。
And for so much of my life, whether it was because I had a really stressful job, and jobs always have a lot of have to's, or taking care of kids, or taking care of aging parents, I felt like my entire life were things I have to do.
你是要教我们,即使有很多必须做的事情,我们仍然有时间去做想做的事情吗?
You're going to teach us that there is time available to do things we want to do even though there's a lot we have to do?
我向你保证。
I promise you.
即使你有很多必须做的事情(我知道现在每个人都是如此),也总有空间去做你想做的事情。
Even if you have a lot you have to do, and I know everyone does these days, there is space for the things you want to do.
不仅如此,你理应拥有空间去做你想做的事情。
And not only that, you deserve to have space for the things you want to do.
你为大家付出了这么多。
You are doing so much for everyone.
我保证你也有属于自己的时间。
I promise there's time for yourself as well.
天哪。
Oh my god.
我迫不及待想找到这些零散的空闲时间,因为
Well, I can't wait to find these little pockets of free time because
我迫不及待想为大家找到这些时间。
I can't wait to find them for people.
嗯,感觉你根本没有空闲时间。
Well, it doesn't feel like you have any free time.
我的意思是,你在研究这些话题时是否发现人们普遍觉得自己没有空闲时间?
I mean, is that a common thing that you found when you're researching these topics that people feel like they have no free time?
很多人会说,是的。
A lot of people will say, yes.
我完全没有空闲时间。
I have no free time whatsoever.
我可以向你保证,我研究过成千上万人的日程安排。
I can promise you, I have studied thousands of people's schedules.
每个人都有些可自由支配的时间。
Everybody has some discretionary time.
现在,这些时间可能没有你希望的那么多。
Now it may not be as much time as you want.
我完全理解这一点。
I totally believe that.
但‘没有你希望的那么多’和‘完全没有’是有很大区别的。
But there's a big difference between not as much as I want and none.
当人们说‘我完全没有空闲时间’时,他们的意思是‘我没有像希望的那样多的空闲时间’。
When people say I have no free time whatsoever, they mean I don't have as much free time as I want.
但当我们从‘我确实有一些空闲时间’这个角度来思考这个问题时
But when we approach this question from, I have some free time.
只是没有我想要的那么多
It's just not as much as I want.
嗯,这本身就提出了一些很好的问题。
Well, that suggests some good questions right there.
你知道,从长远来看,我该如何增加自己的空闲时间呢?
You know, how can I scale up my free time in the long run?
你知道,在我有限的空闲时间里,我该如何做出好的选择,让自己感到最精力充沛呢?
You know, how can I make good choices in the limited time I do have so I feel most rejuvenated?
好的。
Okay.
所以这是我想确保你获得的第二个要点,因为我刚才突然灵光一现,借用奥普拉的话来说,人们很容易陷入这样的陷阱:当你精疲力尽、感到不堪重负或面对永无止境的任务清单时,你会开始对自己说,我完全没有空闲时间。
So that's the second takeaway that I wanna make sure that you got because I just had a light bulb moment there to quote Oprah, where it is easy to fall into that trap where you're burnt out or you feel overwhelmed or you have a never ending to do list, and you start to say to yourself, I have no free time.
我根本没有时间。
I have no time.
第一个要点是,我没有足够的空闲时间。
One takeaway already is, I don't have enough free time.
仅仅是这种认知上的改变,用你的话来说,就承认了我们确实有一些可自由支配的时间可以为自己争取回来。
And simply that change acknowledges that there is some discretionary time, to use your words, that we can reclaim for ourselves.
这确实让人觉得是可行的。
And that's a really that feels doable.
所以我很高兴我们从这里开始。
And so I'm glad we're starting there.
劳拉,根据你的研究,你认为现在和我们在一起的人最需要了解的关于时间管理的令人惊讶的事情是什么?
Laura, based on your research, what do you think the most surprising thing that the person who is with us right now needs to know about time management?
好吧,给你一个数字。
Well, here's a number for you.
好的。
K.
一周有一百六十八个小时。
There are one hundred sixty eight hours in a week.
是指总数吗?
Does it with, like, total?
总数。
Total.
好的。
Okay.
那包括睡觉时间吗?
So that includes sleeping?
嗯,人们总是说一周七天、一天二十四小时。
Well, people say twenty four seven all the time.
没错。
Right.
从来没有人会去算这个乘法。
Nobody ever multiplies it through.
好的。
Okay.
所以如果你用24乘以7,是的。
So if you multiply 24 times seven Yep.
一周有168个小时。
There are one hundred sixty eight hours in a week.
好的。
Okay.
我认为这个数字对人们来说很重要,原因有几个。
And I think this is an important number for people to know for a couple reasons.
我的意思是,第一,一周是我们实际生活的周期。
I mean, one, a week is the cycle of life as we actually live it.
我的意思是,如果我在周二看你,再在周六看你,这些日子对很多人来说往往看起来不太一样,但一周涵盖了这两种情况。
I mean, if I look at you on a Tuesday, I look at you on a Saturday, these days often look a little bit different from people, but a week encompasses both.
而且,你知道,这两种情况都代表了我们的生活,所以我们需要确保全面看待它们。
And, you know, both are representative of our lives, so we wanna make sure we are looking at all of them.
当我们从168小时这个数字开始时,还有一些相关的数字值得思考。
When we start with the number a hundred sixty eight hours, just a few numbers to think about with this.
如果你每周工作40小时,也就是标准的全职工作,好的,如果你每晚睡8小时,是的,那么8乘以7就是每周56小时,好的,如果你从168小时中减去40和56,我们剩下72小时用于其他事情。
If you work forty hours, so standard full time job, k, if you sleep eight hours a night, yep, so eight times seven is fifty six hours per week, k, If you subtract forty and fifty six from a hundred sixty eight, we get seventy two hours for other things.
好的。
K.
这并不意味着那72小时是完全空闲的。
Now that doesn't mean that those seventy two hours are free and clear.
我们大多数人都有需要照顾的家庭。
Most of us have families we are taking care of.
我们有社区责任。
We have community responsibilities.
我们有家务要做。
We have housework.
在这七十二小时里,我们有各种各样的事情需要处理。
We have all sorts of things we need to deal with in those seventy two hours.
但七十二小时仍然是很长的一段时间。
But seventy two hours is still a lot of time.
所以当人们审视这一点时,他们会想,我能不能在这一周里挤出三个小时来阅读呢?
And so when people are looking at that, they say, well, could I find three hours to read in the course of the week?
我能不能在七十二小时里抽出两个小时和朋友聚一聚呢?
Could I find two hours to get together with friends in the course of seventy two hours?
这样看起来就比只盯着一个挤得满满的周二要可行多了。
That starts to seem a little bit more doable than if we're just looking at a crunched Tuesday.
我觉得我们很多人心里都装着这样一个故事:我们忙得不可开交。
I think a lot of us are walking around with this story that we are incredibly busy.
我们根本没时间做任何事。
We have no time for anything.
我不是否认大家都很忙,但我质疑那种‘根本没时间做任何事’的说法。
And I'm not denying that anyone is busy, but I would question the narrative of having no time for anything.
我认为有时候从168小时的视角来看,能让我们更清楚地认识到这一点。
And I think sometimes looking from the perspective of one hundred sixty eight hours can help us see that a little bit better.
这确实有点让人大开眼界,因为你说得对。
It is a little eye opening because you're right.
我经常在想,好吧,我有没有时间,或者我有多少时间,或者我在用我的时间做什么?
I often when I think about, okay, do I have any time or how much time do I have or what am I doing with my time?
我会打开我的日历,然后看看我的待办事项清单,然后我就看不到任何时间。
I'll open up my calendar and be like, and then I'll look at my to do list and then I don't see any time.
然后我就会对时间感到恐慌。
And then I panic about the time.
但你要教我们的是,让我们从基础开始,一份全职工作和八小时睡眠之后,还有七十二个小时。
But what you're going to teach us is let's just start with the basics that after a full time job and getting eight hours of sleep, there's seventy two hours.
当你看到有72小时这个事实时,我们会开始自问:我是否有可能在其中找到一些零散时间,更刻意地利用它们?
And when you look at the fact that there's seventy two hours, we're gonna start to ask ourselves, could I possibly find some pockets of time in there where I could be more intentional about how I'm using it?
这让我觉得可行,因为尽管我非常熟悉你的研究,但我曾担心时间管理会变得非常像‘兄弟式’建议——比如划分时间段、设定计时器、严格遵守时间安排这类东西。
That feels accessible to me because one of the things that I was concerned about, even though I'm very familiar with your work, is time management can be a very like bro thing, like block your time, set the timer, get in these times, like, all this kind of stuff.
是的,我们每周确实都有一百六十八小时,但你说得对。
Well, we all do have one hundred sixty eight hours in a week, but you are correct.
嗯,我的意思是,我也深陷其中。
Well, I mean, I'm in the weeds too.
我工作。
I work.
我还有年幼的孩子在家。
I have young kids still at home.
所以你有五个孩子
So you have five children
还有一只小狗和一个配偶。
and a puppy and a spouse.
我也有所有这些事情。
I have all those things.
但即使有所有这些事情,我们仍然可以做选择。
But even with all those things, we can still make choices.
那么,一个有五个孩子和一份工作的人,是否会有像那些所谓的效率达人一样多的可自由支配时间呢?
Now will somebody who has five kids and a job have as much discretionary time as one of these perhaps productivity bros if we wanna talk about them that way?
不会。
No.
但这并不意味着我们必须完全认输。
But that doesn't mean we have to completely admit defeat.
我们只需要有意识地规划时间,并认识到我们仍然可以做出一些选择。
We just need to be intentional about our time and recognize that we can still make some choices.
我很喜欢这个观点。
I love that.
因为你是在我们所在的位置与我们相遇,特别是你将要带我们了解的九条时间管理法则,能帮助我们在那些时刻重新掌控时间。
Because you're meeting us where we are, and your research in the in particular, the nine rules of time management that you're going to walk us through help us even in those moments to reclaim time.
那么让我们转向你在畅销书《周二宁静》中提出的九条法则。
And so let's turn to the nine rules that you write in your amazing bestselling book, Tranquility by Tuesday.
而关于生产力的第一条法则——我很喜欢这条——就是给自己设定一个睡觉时间。
And the first rule of productivity, I love this one, is give yourself a bedtime.
为什么给自己设定睡觉时间会成为生产力的一条法则呢?
Why is giving yourself a bedtime a rule for productivity?
嗯,我知道你是睡觉时间的忠实拥护者。
Well, I know you are a big fan of bedtimes.
对吗?
Correct?
你给自己设定了睡觉时间吗?
You give yourself a bedtime?
是的。
Yes.
我确实如此。
I do.
我确实是。
I do, actually.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为这对其他人也很重要,因为我注意到睡眠中存在一个悖论。
And I think this is important for everyone else because here's a paradox I have noticed with sleep.
这是通过研究成千上万人的日程安排得出的结论。
And it's from studying thousands of people's schedules.
从每周的总量来看,许多人已经获得了足够的睡眠。
Many people are getting enough sleep from a quantitative perspective when you look over the course of the week.
所以我做了这些时间日记项目。
So I do these time diary projects.
睡眠专家告诉我们,成年人每天需要大约七到八小时的睡眠。
Sleep experts tell us, you know, we need adults need, let's say, seven to eight hours of sleep a day.
我会查看人们的作息记录,发现他们每周的睡眠时间通常在四十九到五十六小时之间。
And I'd look at people's time logs, and they were generally getting somewhere between forty nine and fifty six hours of sleep over the course of the week.
对吧?
Right?
这样算下来,每天就是七到八小时。
So that would put us in the seven to eight hours per day
嗯。
Mhmm.
属于这个范畴。
Category.
然而人们还是感觉很疲惫。
And yet people feel really tired.
所以这就让人疑惑,为什么大家都声称自己这么累
And so it's like, well, why is everyone claiming to be so tired
是的。
Yeah.
当他们从数量上看似乎获得了足够的睡眠时?
When they seem to be getting enough sleep from a quantitative perspective?
所以我为此困惑了一阵子,然后我观察人们每天的睡眠时长。
So I'm puzzling this for a while, and then I look at how much sleep people are getting day to day.
因此,人们每天的睡眠时长可能存在巨大差异。
And so there can be a vast difference in how much sleep people are getting day to day.
我指的不只是周二和周六之间的对比。
And I'm not just talking Tuesday versus Saturday.
好。
K.
我甚至说的是周二和周三之间的对比。
I'm talking even Tuesday versus Wednesday.
好。
K.
在我的一项时间日志项目中,我查看了人们在周二和周三的睡眠时长,大约有四分之一的人在这两天的睡眠时间相差了九十分钟,真的吗?
In one of my time diary projects, I looked at how much sleep people were getting on Tuesday versus Wednesday, and about a quarter of people had a ninety minute gap between how much sleep they got on Tuesday Really?
以及他们在周三的睡眠时长。
And how much they got on Wednesday.
你可以看到这种情况是如何发生的。
And you can see how this plays out.
人们某天晚上熬夜。
People are up late on one night.
是的。
Yep.
他们必须天一亮就起床。
They have to be up at the crack of dawn Yeah.
因为某些事,所以那晚睡眠时间很短,然后你的身体会迫使你补回来。
For something, and so it's been a short night, and then your body forces you to make it up.
所以他们会在看电视时倒在沙发上睡着,或者陪着要睡觉的四岁孩子时,自己却在地板上睡着了。
So they are crashing on the couch while watching TV, or they're sitting with their four year old who's going to bed, and they are falling asleep on the floor there.
明白了。
Got it.
就是这样。
That's it.
确实如此。
Hitting yeah.
他们早上要按掉四次闹钟。
They're hitting snooze four times in the morning.
你知道,早上计划好的锻炼就泡汤了。
You know, that planned workout in the morning isn't happening.
他们会在必须出门前两分钟才起床。
They're getting up, you know, two minutes before they need to be out the door.
那么哪一晚算是典型的呢?
So which night was typical?
嗯,这两种情况都再次发生了,但这属于紊乱的睡眠。
Well, they both happened again, but it's disorderly sleep.
所以大多数成年人需要在早上固定时间起床,为了工作或家庭责任。
So most adults need to wake up at set times in the morning for work or family responsibilities.
对吧?
Right?
人们从12岁起就开始设置闹钟了。
People have been setting alarm clocks since they're 12 years old.
既然是这样,为了每晚获得相同的睡眠时长,这会让人感觉好得多。
Since that is the case, in order to get the same amount of sleep every night, which just feels so much better.
对吧?
Right?
我们不想坐这种上下颠簸的跳楼机一样的游乐设施。
We don't wanna be on this drop tower carnival ride where you're going up and down and up and down.
我们需要算出每晚应该几点上床,才能保证每天睡同样的时长。
We need to figure out what time we need to go to bed in order to get the same amount of sleep every night.
明白了。
Got it.
这其实就是数学问题。
So this is just math.
对吧?
Right?
如果你需要睡八小时,早上六点起床,那就得在晚上十点前入睡。
If you need eight hours of sleep, if you need to wake up at 6AM, then you need to be asleep at 10PM.
如果你需要睡七个半小时,早上六点半起床,
If you need seven and a half hours of sleep and you need to wake up at 06:30 a.
那你就得在晚上十一点前上床,试着入睡。
M, you need to be in bed, you know, trying to go to sleep at eleven p.
。
M.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yep.
这与你是哪种人无关。
Nothing to do with what kind of person you are.
只是个数学问题。
Just a math question.
所以每个人都需要一个固定的睡觉时间。
So everyone needs a bedtime.
而真正的专业建议,当然你也知道,就是你需要设置一个提前一点的闹钟。
And the real pro tip, of course, and you know this, is you need to set some sort of alarm for a little bit before.
对。
Right.
在睡觉时间之前。
Before the bedtime.
这样你就有了放松的机会,关掉家里的灯,刷牙,说晚安,上床睡觉,感觉舒适温暖。
So this gives you a chance to wind down, shut the house, brush your teeth, say good night, get into bed, feel all cozy.
当人们这样做的时候,大家都会遵守这个规则。
When people did this so people followed this rule.
而规则很简单:给自己设定一个睡觉时间。
And the rule is just simply Give yourself a bedtime.
给自己设定一个睡觉时间。
Give yourself a bedtime.
是的。
Yeah.
在研究期间,声称自己获得足够睡眠以应对责任的人的比例上升了百分之二十五。
The proportion of people who said they were getting enough sleep to handle their responsibilities rose twenty five percent over the course of the study.
真的吗?
Really?
是的。
Yeah.
我想告诉你,人们实际上并没有获得更多睡眠。
And I would tell you, people weren't really getting more sleep.
我的意思并不是说你必须把更多时间花在睡觉上。
Like, I'm not saying you have to devote more hours of your life to sleep.
只是睡眠变得更规律了。
It's just that it's more orderly.
你不会某天熬夜然后第二天补觉。
You're not crashing one night and making it up the next.
你每晚都能获得相同的睡眠时间,这让你精力充沛多了。
You're getting the same amount of sleep every night, and that gives you so much more energy.
嗯,而且你还会感觉一切尽在掌控之中。
Well, and also you feel in control.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
这是不是也意味着你选择如何度过这段时间,从而让你有种掌控感
And is that part of it too that you're choosing how to spend the time so it gives you this sense that you're in control
的一部分吗?
of it?
当然。
Absolutely.
这些规则中的每一条都有明显的益处。
Every one of these rules has an obvious benefit.
比如,按时上床睡觉,就能获得足够的睡眠。
Like, go to bed on time, you get enough sleep.
这听起来很棒。
That sounds great.
是的。
Yeah.
但背后还有一个更深层的原因。
But there's a deeper reason for it too.
我的意思是,我们大多数人明白,一天是有开始的。
I mean, most of us understand that a day has a beginning.
对。
Right.
但我们对“每一天都有结束”这个概念却不太清晰。
But we're a little fuzzier on this notion that each day has an end.
好的。
Okay.
再说一遍。
Say that again.
因为这实际上非常重要,你说得对。
Because this is actually really important because you're right.
它确实是在某个时间开始的,但你很少会认真思考:我到底什么时候才算真正结束今天?
It does start at a certain time, and you don't often think about how important it is to be intentional about, well, when am I actually ending today?
是的。
Yes.
因此,明确一个结束一天的时间,能让你做出更理性的选择。
And so having a time that you know the day is ending allows you to make more rational choices.
当人们这样做时,他们常常意识到晚上的时间其实可以相当长。
And when people do this, they often realize sometimes the evening can be quite long.
比如,如果你晚上10点半或11点睡觉,而5点半下班,那么你就有五个小时可以做各种事情。
Like, if your bedtime is 10:30 or 11PM and you get off work at 05:30, well, we've got five hours to do our various things.
我的意思是,可以陪伴家人、做家务,但也可能有一些自由支配的时间。
I mean, to be with our family, do our chores, but maybe have some discretionary time too.
但这样我们就会有这样的感觉,好吧。
But then we have the sense of, okay.
我有五个小时可以工作,而不是一个模糊不清的结束时间,而我
Here are the five hours I can work with as opposed to there is some vague ending to the day that I
根本不知道那是什么时候。
have no idea what it is.
所谓的模糊结束时间就是等我完成待办事项清单的时候,但这个清单长得离谱,而且大部分内容对我来说既不重要,也不会让我开心。
Well, vague ending of the day is whenever I get through the to do list which is irrationally long and most of it is not critically important to me anyway or gonna make me happy.
所以我明白了,没有一个明确的结束时间会让你对时间产生一种模糊不清的感觉。
And so I can see how not having an end to the day that you're intentional around creates this nebulous thing around time.
哇,这很简单。
Wow, that's pretty easy.
只要定个睡觉时间就行了。
Just pick a bedtime.
所以如果你已经定了睡觉时间,因为这是我生活中一个领域——当我的生活运转良好时,我实际上会睡得很早。
So if you already pick a bedtime, because this is one of those areas of my life that when my life is working, I actually get to bed very early.
我是那种人,如果我想睡八小时,我需要在九点左右就上床,差不多这样。
And I'm the kind of person that my rule is if I want eight hours of sleep, I need to be kinda in that bed around nine hours, that give or take.
对吧?
Right?
所以计算起来很简单。
And so the math is pretty easy.
它给我定了一个结束时间。
It gives me an end time.
如果你像我一样,本来就有一个相对固定的睡觉时间,你如何把这个规则再进一步呢?
If you're somebody like me who already kinda has a consistent bedtime, how do you take this rule a step further?
我很希望人们能养成一个良好的早晨习惯。
I'd love for people to develop a good morning routine.
好的。
K.
现在我要说明一下,早晨习惯有时名声不太好,因为如果我们谈论那些效率达人,他们会有那种长达三小时的晨间流程。
Now I will caveat this, that morning routines sometimes get a bad reputation because if we're talking about all the productivity bros, they have these, like, three hour morning routines.
对吧?
Right?
所以他们
So they
没有孩子或宠物。
don't have children pets.
孩子,甚至是一份我能看出来的普通工作。
Children or even, like, a normal job that I can tell.
对吧?
Right?
所以,你知道,他们起床后要做九十分钟的锻炼,还要来个冷水浴、冥想之类的全套流程。
So, you you know, they're getting up and doing a ninety minute workout and some sort of cold plunge and jails and all of it.
没错。
Yes.
三十分钟的冥想。
Thirty minutes of meditation.
这对他们来说很棒。
That's great for them.
对他们来说是挺好的。
Great for them.
但我们这些过着正常生活的人。
But those are us with a normal life.
我们这些过着正常生活的人。
Those are us with a normal life.
可以拥有更精简的晨间习惯,因为早晨仍然是高效完成事务的好时机。
Can have more of a bite sized morning routine because mornings still are a great time for getting stuff done.
通常,这是人们在其他人向你提出要求之前,能拥有属于自己的时间的时候。
Often, this is when people can have time for themselves before everybody else wants a piece of you.
对吧?
Right?
所以,这是做那些生活总会挤掉的事情的绝佳时机。
So this is a great time for things that life has a way of crowding out.
但同样,时间可能不会很多。
But, again, it may not be a ton of time.
所以,如果你每天早上能为自己争取哪怕二十分钟,就可以问问自己:我希望能用这段时间做些什么?
So if you can even just get twenty minutes for yourself in the morning, you can ask, well, what would I like to do with it?
这里有一个可能很多人未曾考虑过的真正洞见。
And here's a real insight for people that maybe they haven't considered.
每天做的事情其实不必完全相同。
It doesn't actually have to be the same thing every day.
所以,也许有三天早上,你可以写日记。
So maybe three mornings, you write in a journal.
另外三天早上,你起床后做一些力量训练。
Three mornings, you get up and do some sort of strength workout.
第七天,你休息。
The seventh day, you rest.
但现在你有了晨间习惯,这感觉就像在一天开始时为自己留出了时间,而这种胜利感可以推动你度过接下来的一整天。
But now you have a morning routine, and it's something that feels like you have taken time for yourself at the beginning of the day, and that victory can propel you through to the rest of the day.
你知道吗,你在畅销书《周二宁静》中提到的一个观点是,成年人的睡前时光就像是小时候赖床的翻版。
You know, one of the things that you write about in your bestselling book, Tranquility by Tuesday, is the fact that bedtime is the adult version of sleeping in as a kid.
我们可以给予自己的这种奢侈。
This luxury that we can give to ourselves.
我们会获得更多能量
We get more energy
当我们有规律的睡眠时。
when we get regular sleep.
好的。
K.
对吧?
Right?
人们熬夜的一个原因是他们觉得白天没得到足够的自由时间
And one of the reasons people stay up late because they feel like they didn't get enough free time
是的。
Yes.
在白天。
During the day.
是的。
Yes.
那就是
That's
典型的报复性熬夜。
classic revenge bedtime procrastination.
就像,我今天为所有人做了所有事。
Like, I did everything for everyone else today.
我没有一点属于自己的时间。
I didn't have any time for me.
现在家里安静了。
Now the house is quiet.
现在我的老板不会来打扰我了。
Now my boss isn't pinging me.
我可以做我想做的事了。
I can do what I want.
是的。
Yes.
对吧?
Right?
所以我要坐在这里
So I'm gonna sit here and
刷手机看这些内容。
scroll and look at this crux.
持续三个小时。
For three hours.
我希望每个人都能在日程的其他地方安排出自由时间。
I want everyone to have free time elsewhere in your schedule.
对吧?
Right?
我向你保证这是可能的。
And I promise you it is possible.
当你开始在一天中的其他时间为自己腾出时间,当你有时间从事爱好、与朋友相处、享受闲暇时,你就不会那么需要通过拖延睡觉时间来为自己争取一点点时间了。
And when you start making time for yourself elsewhere during the day, when you have time for your hobbies, when you have time for your friends, when you have downtime, you don't feel quite that same need to procrastinate bedtime in order to claim just a little bit of time for yourself.
相反,你可以将其视为给自己的一份礼物——你正在给予身体所需的睡眠。
Instead, you can view it as a gift to yourself that you are giving your body the sleep you need.
让我确认一下我理解得是否正确,因为我觉得这一点非常重要。
Let me just make sure I understand this because I think this is really important.
你是说,如果我们在白天能找到一些零散时间,插入一些掌控感,或者找到三十分钟来放松、散步或做一些能带来些许快乐的事情,对吗?
You're saying that if we can find pockets of time during the day where we can insert a sense of control or find thirty minutes to relax or to take a walk or do something that like brings you a little bit of joy, right?
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
你找到了,就在白天安排进去。
You find that, you insert it during the day.
当你晚上回到家,屋子里安静下来时,你就不会再有今天一整天都没属于自己的时间的感觉。
When you get to that moment at night where the house is quiet, you're not gonna have that sense that you had no time to yourself today.
因此,你就不太可能浪费三个小时无所事事。
So you're going to be less likely to waste three hours doing nothing.
当然。
Absolutely.
哦,我太喜欢这个了。
Oh, I love this.
所以你是通过一项时间使用研究得出了这九条时间管理法则。
So you conducted a time use study to get to these nine rules of time management.
你能告诉我什么是时间使用研究吗?时间使用研究是什么意思?
Can you tell me about the time use what what does time use study mean?
那是什么,劳拉?
What is that, Laura?
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,时间使用研究就是观察人们如何分配时间。
Well, a time use study is when you look at how people spend their time.
多年来我做过很多关于人们时间使用情况的项目。
And I've done a lot of projects looking at people's time over the years.
我发现不能直接问人们是如何使用时间的。
I found you can't just ask people how they spend their time.
我的意思是,第一个问题是人们不知道一周其实有一百六十八个小时。
I mean, one of the first problems is people don't know there are a hundred sixty eight hours in a week.
对吧?
Right?
所以如果你连分母是多少都不知道,那你对不同事物的分子就只是在猜测。
So if you don't even know what the denominator is on the fraction, you're just guessing at the numerator for different things.
我的意思是,我花在车上的时间占多大比例?
I mean, what proportion of my time do I spend in the car?
我花在工作上的时间占多大比例?
What proportion of my time do I spend working?
我花在家务或休闲活动上的时间占多大比例?
What proportion of my time do I spend on housework or on leisure activities?
我不知道。
I don't know.
如果你连分母是多少都不知道,那就只是在瞎猜。
If you don't know what the denominator is in the fraction, you are just guessing.
所以人们会告诉你各种各样关于时间去向的故事,而这些说法几乎总是不准确的。
And so people will tell you all sorts of stories about where their time goes, and they are almost always inaccurate.
因此你需要让人们以更细致的方式来实际记录他们的时间。
So you need to actually have people keep track of their time in a little bit more granular way.
所以这些年来我做了很多这类研究,但今天我要谈的九条法则,源于我进行大量时间日记研究、与人们讨论他们的时间使用情况时的发现,以及人们向我寻求建议的经历。
So I've done a lot of these over the years, but the nine rules that I am talking about today came out of the recognition from doing many of these time diary studies and talking with people about their time, and people would ask for advice.
然而我发现自己似乎总在反复告诉人们同样的建议。
And yet I seem to be telling people the same things over and over again.
于是我将这些归纳为九条普遍适用的规则。
And so I sort of hone these down into a list of nine rules that seemed to be universally applicable.
但你知道,你不能只是告诉别人。
But, you know, you don't wanna just tell somebody.
对。
Right.
比如,这是我建议你应该做的。
Like, this is what I think you should do.
如果我要给别人建议,我至少得有点把握,知道这些建议真的有效。
If I'm gonna give somebody advice, I wanna have at least some sense that it actually works.
于是我招募了大约150人来实践这九条规则。
So I recruited about a 150 people to try out these nine rules.
在九周的时间里,他们每周学习一条规则。
Over the course of nine weeks, they would learn a rule every week.
我会在每周开始时、结束时,以及九周的开始和结束时,从多个维度对他们进行评估,看看效果如何。
I would measure them on various dimensions at the start of the week, at the end of the week, at the start of the nine weeks, at the end of the nine weeks, see how it went.
所以九周时间,九条规则,150人全部参与应用,结果如何?
So nine weeks, nine rules, 150 people all applying, and what happened?
好消息是他们对自己的时间感觉更好了。
The good news is they felt better about their time.
在九周的时间里,他们的总体时间满意度得分提升了16%。
Their general time satisfaction scores rose 16% over the course of nine weeks.
在九周的时间里,他们对昨日时间利用方式的满意度提升了17%。
Their satisfaction with how they spent time yesterday rose 17% over the course of the nine weeks.
也许这听起来不算多,但你知道,如果有人对我说,嘿,劳拉,你会感觉好上16%。
And maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but, you know, if somebody offered me like, hey, Laura, you're gonna feel 16% better.
对我来说这听起来很不错。
That sounds good to me.
对吧?
You know?
这并非毫无意义。
It's it's it's not nothing.
嗯,而且它还会逐渐累积,是的。
Well, and also it builds Yeah.
自我叠加。
On itself.
我们继续来看第二条规则。
Let's move on to rule number two.
第二条规则是——哦,我特别喜欢这一条。
Rule number two is oh, I love this one.
周五做计划?
Plan on Fridays?
你是指周五做计划是什么意思?
What do you mean plan on Fridays?
周五做计划这条规则实际上包含两条规则。
The rule to plan on Fridays is really two rules.
而第一条也是最重要的一条就是做计划。
And the first and most important is to plan.
计划什么?
Plan what?
我现在要计划什么?
What am I planning now?
每个人都需要一个固定的每周规划时间
Everybody needs a designated weekly planning time
好的
K.
他们会在那里展望下一周,既思考需要完成的事项,也考虑他们希望看到发生的事情。
Where they look forward to the next week and ask both what needs to happen, but also what they want to see happen.
在接下来的一周里,对你来说职业上和个人生活上最重要的是什么?
What is most important to you professionally and personally over the next week?
大概什么时候能实现?
When roughly can it happen?
要实现这一切需要解决哪些后勤方面的挑战。
What logistical challenges need to be worked out for all this to take place.
好的。
Okay.
对吧?
Right?
每个人都需要跟进这件事。
Everyone needs to follow-up this.
所以让我清楚自己该做什么,因为我知道听的人会想,好吧。
So so just so I know what I'm doing, because I know the person listening is somebody who's like, okay.
告诉我该做什么。
Tell me what to do.
告诉我该做什么。
Tell me what to do.
所以我在规划这一周。
So I am planning the week.
所以我正在展望下周,并问自己两个问题。
So I'm looking ahead at the next week, and I'm asking myself two questions.
需要发生什么,我希望发生什么?
What needs to happen, and what do I want to have happen?
当然。
Absolutely.
你可以问问自己,展望下周,什么对我最重要?
You can ask yourself, looking forward to the next week, what is most important to me?
我建议人们从三个类别来看。
And I recommend people look in three categories.
好的。
Okay.
是哪三个?
What are they?
职业。
Career K.
人际关系和自我。
Relationships, and self.
因此,你可以为自己列出未来一周的三大优先事项。
And so you can make yourself a three category list of your priorities for the upcoming week.
我知道每个听这个的人都会想:好吧,工作待办事项。
Now I know everyone listening to this is like, well, work to dos.
我知道未来一周那些事情该怎么做。
I know what those are over the next week.
我对这个想法已经心里有数了。
I've got my head around that idea.
你知道的吗?
You know?
而且你大概也清楚未来一周在工作上什么对你来说最重要。
And and probably you've roughly know what's important for you to do in in your work over the next week.
也许吧。
Maybe.
也许吧。
Maybe.
但人们喜欢人际关系、自我,这是什么意思呢?
But people like relationships, self, what is this?
但我们是生活复杂的人。
But we are people with complex lives.
是的。
Yep.
我们有很多事情要忙。
We have a lot going on.
所以我们也需要问自己,对于家人和朋友的关系来说,什么对我们最重要。
We So also need to ask what is most important to us for relationships with family and friends.
你知道,接下来一周我需要做些什么?
You know, what am I what do I need to do over the next week?
在那一类别中,我接下来一周想做什么?
What do I want to do over the next week in that category?
然后是个人方面。
And then self.
对于你个人的精神、心理、情感和身体健康来说,接下来一周最重要或最有意义的事情是什么。
What is most important or meaningful to have happen over the next week for your own personal, spiritual, mental, emotional, physical health.
在规划一周时制定一个包含三个类别的清单会带来很好的效果,因为很难在制定三类别清单时让其中一个类别空着。
And making a three category list as you're planning your week does something really good, which is that it is very hard to make a three category list and leave one of the categories blank.
哦。
Oh.
我们的大脑不是这样运作的。
Our brains don't work that way.
比如,我必须在每个类别中都安排一些事情。
Like, I have to put something in each of these categories.
对吧?
Right?
这里有一个类别。
There's a category.
我必须把它填满。
I have to fill it in.
是的。
Yep.
所以这就会促使你
And so that right there is going to nudge you
过上更平衡的生活,对吧,你会为你的关系设定一个优先事项。
to have a more balanced life, right, that you are gonna set a priority for your relationships.
你也会为你自己的个人生活设定一个优先事项。
You will set a priority for your own personal self.
长期坚持这样做,就能让生活感觉更美好。
And the sheer exercise of doing that over time can make life feel better.
所以如果我展望接下来的一周,并问自己在事业、人际关系和自我这三个方面,有哪些对我重要的事情需要安排时间去做?
So if I'm looking ahead at the week and I'm asking myself what is important to me in career relationships and self that I wanna make time for?
如果你看到日程表然后觉得,我根本没时间怎么办?
What if you see a schedule and you're like, I have no time.
比如,我们还没到那一步呢。
Like, we're not doing that yet.
我们只是在问自己,在这三个类别中,什么才是真正重要的。
We're just asking ourselves what is actually important in these three categories.
对吗?
Correct?
日历上可能已经有一些对你来说很重要的事情。
And there might be something that's already on the calendar that is important to you.
好的。
Okay.
而且有时候,这是一种重新定义。
And and sometimes it's recasting something.
对吧?
Right?
你展望这一周,发现你将与一位新员工见面,而你希望指导她。
It's that you look forward to the week, and you are seeing that you are meeting with someone at work who is a new hire that you would like to mentor.
你觉得她是个非常出色的人。
You think she's a really awesome person.
你对这件事感到兴奋。
You're excited about it.
你能看到她将会有出色的表现。
You can see great things happening for her.
当你看到这个会议即将到来时,这可以成为你的一个优先事项。
When you see that meeting coming up, that can be a priority for you.
你可以
You can
可以想,哦,我真的很想在这次会议上专注,而不是仅仅为了赶完琼斯提案而应付了事。
be like, oh, I really wanna focus during this meeting and not just get through the Jones proposal while we're talking together.
我们会讨论她对自己未来的设想,以及我对于她实现这些目标的建议。
We're gonna talk about what she sees herself doing and any ideas I have for her for doing that.
而正是这一点,能把这个普通的会议提升为一件重要的事,让你以完全不同的视角去对待它。
And that right there can elevate this random meeting to something important, and you approach it with an entirely different perspective.
我喜欢这个想法。
I love that.
好的。
Okay.
所以我明白了规划的部分。
So I I get the planning.
这很简单。
That's easy.
但我现在具体是哪一天做呢?
But now what day am I doing?
我想是星期五吧。
Think it's Friday.
星期五。
Friday.
为什么是星期五?
Why Friday?
如果你已经有了适合自己的每周规划时间,而且不是星期五,就别让劳拉告诉你该怎么做。
If you already have a weekly planning time that is working for you and it is not Friday, don't let Laura tell you to do anything differently.
对吧?
Right?
我希望大家做对自己有效的事情。
I want people to do what works for them.
我知道很多人会在周日做计划。
So I know a lot of people plan on Sundays.
有些人则选择在周一早上做计划。
Some people plan on Monday mornings.
如果这对你有效,那就太好了。
If it is working for you, that is great.
好的。
K.
但如果你没有固定的每周规划时间,或者你发现现有的时间安排有问题,那么周五就是个不错的选择。
But if you don't have a designated weekly planning time or you've noticed some trouble with the time that you do have, here's the case for Fridays.
明白了。
Okay.
把它安排到周日是因为我一直在周日做计划,然后我开始意识到,梅尔,这会加剧焦虑。
Make it because I do it on Sundays, and I'm starting to realize Well, Mel, you're it's amping anxiety.
我不确定。
I don't know.
你是个高效的人,所以可能这对你有效。
You're a productive person, so probably it's working for you.
但这里的好处是我
But here's the upside of I
我想我可能要改到周五了。
think I might wanna move to Fridays.
尤其是周五下午,大多数人其实都没在做什么正经事。
Especially Friday afternoon, most people are not doing anything of consequence.
你现在在跟我说什么?
What are you saying to me right now?
你正滑向周末。
You are sliding into the weekend.
是的。
I am.
今天是周五,我们到底为什么要...
It's Friday Why are we even at Why
我们甚至在这里吗?
are we even here?
对吧?
Right?
所以如果你只是在浪费这段时间,数着分钟等下班,那还不如把其中一些时间重新用于做计划。
And so if you are just wasting that time counting the minutes until you can clock out, you may as well repurpose some of this time for planning.
对吧?
Right?
你可以把原本可能被浪费的时间,变成你一周中最高效的几分钟。
You can take what might have been wasted time and turn it into some of your most productive minutes of the week.
周五做计划意味着你周一早上就能清楚自己需要做什么。
Planning on Friday means you can start Monday morning knowing what you need to do.
人们在开始时总有一股干劲,到了末尾就没了,所以你能充分利用整个周一。
People just they have a a burst of energy at the start of things versus at the end of things, so you'll be able to use all of Monday.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love that.
如果你在规划过程中发现需要预约某地或安排与某人开会。
If you find out in the course of your planning that you need to make an appointment somewhere or you need to set up a meeting with someone.
天哪。
Oh my god.
周五下午安排这些事,成功率远高于周日——梅尔,也许有些人周日会接你电话,但很多人不会。
You are much more likely to get them on Friday afternoon versus Sunday, which maybe people will take your calls on Sunday, Mel, but a lot of people don't have that.
你知道吗,劳拉,我最后会列一个待办清单。
You know what I end up doing, Laura, is I make a to do list.
嗯。
Mhmm.
现在我得记住要做某件事,而其实我本可以在周五下午规划时就顺手做了,而不是从三点到五点假装在工作。
And now I have to remember to do something that I could have done Friday afternoon while I was planning instead of pretending to work from three to five.
完全正确。
Absolutely.
你真是个天才。
You're a genius.
不过还有最后一个原因。
Here's one last reason though.
我觉得这个甚至更重要。
Think this is even more important.
好的。
Okay.
即便是热爱自己工作的人,周日下午、周日晚上也会开始感到些许不安。
Even people who love their jobs, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening, start feeling a little bit of trepidation.
对吧?
Right?
周日恐惧症。
The Sunday scaries.
为什么我们会这样?
Why do we have that?
你知道,周一早上还有很多事情等着你。
You know there is all this stuff waiting for you on Monday morning.
嗯嗯。
Uh-huh.
但你不知道该怎么应对。
But you don't know how you're gonna deal with it.
是的。
Yep.
所以,在你潜意识里,你一直在模拟各种情况,梳理待办事项,想着到了那里之后该怎么做。
And so in the back of your brain, you are working through all the scenarios, working through your to do list, thinking about what am I gonna do when I get there.
如果你在周五下午结束工作时,已经为下周制定了计划,就能真正放松,享受周末。
If you end work on Friday afternoon with a plan for the next week, You can actually relax and enjoy your weekend.
你刚刚论证了为什么要在周五下午三点规划。
You just made the case for planning on Friday afternoons at 3PM.
我被说服了。
I am sold.
我立刻就从周日改到周五了。
I am moving from Sundays to Fridays immediately.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love this.
这非常有道理。
It makes so much sense.
我特别喜欢的一点是,你可以通过打电话和预约来联系到人,从而把待办事项一项项划掉。
I especially love the fact that you can knock things off the to do list by making calls and appointments then where you can reach people.
这真是太聪明了。
That is so smart.
然后你知道那些可以在周末完成的简单事情能让你做好准备,因为你不会在周日恐慌,把事情都留到那时候。
And then you know the simple things that you could do over the weekend that set you up because you're not panicking on Sunday because you're leaving it to there.
天哪。
Oh my god.
这真是太天才了。
This is genius.
太棒了。
Wonderful.
希望这对你有效。
Hope it works for you.
你一定要告诉我效果如何。
You'll have to let me know.
我肯定这对我一定有效。
I will def I'm certain it's gonna work for me.
我甚至都不用告诉你。
I don't even need to let you know.
我现在就要告诉你。
I'm gonna tell you right now.
它已经见效了,劳拉。
It's already working, Laura.
我正在做这件事。
I'm doing it.
那真是太有启发了。
That that is so eye opening.
劳拉,我真的很喜欢你的研究以及你彻底颠覆一切的方式。
Laura, I just love your research and the way that you just flip everything on its head.
我们显然在讨论时间问题,现在似乎正是时候稍作停顿,听听我们赞助商的信息。
And we're obviously talking about time and this feels like the right time for me to take a quick pause so we can hear a word from our sponsors.
在你听的同时,我想请你把这期节目分享给那些总是说‘我太忙了’的人。
And while you're listening, I want you to share this episode with somebody who's constantly saying, I'm so busy.
哦,我今晚没法和你一起玩了。
Oh, I can't hang out with you tonight.
我手头有好多事要忙。
Got so much going on.
你知道我在说谁。
You know who I'm talking about.
可能是你最好的朋友、你的伴侣、你的同事,或者你那个二十多岁刚工作、被各种事务淹没的年轻成年人,他们都需要劳拉。
Could be your best friend, your partner, your coworker, your young adult who's got their job in their twenties, who's drowning in so much that they have to do, they need Laura.
因为劳拉不仅提供了工具,还带来了能彻底改变现状的研究成果,所以他们也需要这份播客的礼物。
Because Laura is giving you not only the tools, but the research that will turn it all around, and so they need the gift of this episode too.
请慷慨分享这份智慧,听完后别走开。
Be generous, share the wisdom, and when you're done, don't go anywhere.
稍后我们将继续聆听才华横溢的劳拉·范德坎姆的分享,我会在这次短暂休息后等你回来。
We'll be back with more from the brilliant Laura Vanderkam, and I'll be waiting for you after this short break.
请继续收听。
Stay with me.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我是你的朋友梅尔·罗宾斯。
It's your friend Mel Robbins.
今天,我和非常睿智、务实又真实的劳拉·范德坎姆一起在这里,学习如何掌控我们的空闲时间。
Today, you and I are here with the very wise, very practical, and very real Laura Vanderkam and we're learning how to take control of our free time.
我有几个问题,因为当你谈到让人们记录下他们如何花费时间时,我就在想,你说得对,我完全不清楚自己的时间是怎么花掉的。
So I have a couple questions because as you were talking about the fact that you have people basically write down how they're spending their time, I thought to myself, you're right, I have no idea how I spend my time.
就好像如果我要试着向你解释,我估计我会完全搞错。
Like if I were to try to explain that to you, I would imagine that I would get it completely wrong.
比如我在想,我花了多少时间在手机上?
Like if I thought about, well, how much time do I spend on my phone?
每次看到我实际花了多少时间在工作上,我总是很震惊。
I'm always shocked when I look at How how much time I've actually much time did you spend working?
我甚至都不知道有多少。
How much I I I don't even know.
作为一名研究人员,在观察人们记录时间的过程中,你发现了哪些最令人惊讶的事情?
What are some of the most surprising things that you learned as a researcher looking at people's documenting of their time?
比如,我们认为自己在做的事情和人们实际在做的事情之间有什么脱节?
Like, what's the disconnect between what we think we're doing and what people are
实际上在做什么?
actually doing?
好消息是,人们的生活往往没有他们想象的那么糟糕。
Well, the good news is people's lives tend not to look as bad as they might think they do.
我们倾向于高估自己不想做的事情,而低估自己想做的事情。
We have a tendency to overestimate things we don't wanna do, and we underestimate things we do wanna do.
那给我举个例子吧。
So give me an example.
很多人会高估自己工作的小时数。
So many people overestimate how many hours they are working.
真的吗?
Really?
是的。
Yeah.
而且很明显,如果你是按时薪计酬的,你会清楚自己工作了多少小时。
And, obviously, if you're getting paid by the hour, you know how many hours you are working.
但如果不是按时薪计酬,人们往往会有点倾向于夸大自己工作的时间来胜过别人。
But if you are not getting paid by the hour, there's a little bit of a tendency to one up everyone else over just how many hours you are working.
也许你听过一些这样的对话,尤其是在高强度行业的人群中。
And perhaps you've heard some of these conversations, particularly in people in intense industries.
每个人都在谈论他们每周工作八十小时的情况。
Everyone's talking about their eighty hour work weeks.
对吧?
Right?
实际上,很少有人真的每周工作八十个小时。
Very, very few people actually work eighty hours a week.
通常实际上要少得多。
It's usually quite a bit less.
人们实际睡眠的时间往往比他们以为的要多。
People tend to sleep more than they actually think they do.
因为我们倾向于把最糟糕的夜晚视为常态。
Because we have a tendency to view our worst nights as typical.
我们总是盯着那个忙碌的周二,而不是把周末、假期或其他时候可能发生的睡眠时间也计算在内。
We're always looking at that crunched Tuesday as opposed to adding in the sleep that might happen over the weekend or over a holiday or something like that.
因此,人们一周的睡眠时间通常比他们脑海中的印象要多。
And so people's sleep over the course of a week tends to be more than the mental picture.
确实如此,因为你只会想到昨天发生了什么。
Well, that's true because you think about what just happened yesterday.
而且如果你时间紧张、忙得不可开交、压力山大,就像我一样,因为我没完成那份完全不切实际的待办清单。
And if you're time starved or crunched or overwhelmed or stressed out like I am because I didn't get through the to do list, which was completely unrealistic.
那么我会高估自己的工作量,因为我总在想着工作,但实际上可能并没有在工作。
Then I overestimated how much I'm working because I'm always thinking about work, but I might not actually be working.
这些研究中你还发现了哪些可能不太好的发现?
What else did you find in these studies that might be bad news?
人们普遍难以准确估计时间。
Well, people have trouble estimating time in general.
对。
Okay.
问题是,这会导致你试图把太多事情塞进一天里,嗯。
And the problem with that is either you try and cram too much into a day Uh-huh.
而且这种情况并不会发生,是的。
And it doesn't happen Uh-huh.
因为时间的规则是严格限定的,无论你多么希望,一天也不会超过二十四小时。
Because the rules of time are strictly enforced, and no one gets more than twenty four hours in a day much as you might wish to have more.
而且从生理上讲,我们也不可能连续清醒二十四小时。
And biologically, we can't be awake for all those twenty four hours either.
所以总体来说,时间估算很难,这也是人们总觉得自己赶不上进度的原因之一——因为他们高估了自己一天能完成的事情。
So time estimation is hard in general, and and that's one of the reasons people feel like they are constantly behind is because they're overestimating what they can get done in a day.
我的意思是,好消息是,我们往往低估了自己在长期中能完成的事情,这倒是好事。
I mean, the good news, though, is we tend to underestimate what we can do in the long haul, so that's good.
但这里有一个积极的方面。
But the here's here's a positive thing.
好的。
Okay.
人们常常给自己讲述关于生活的故事,因为我们对时间有某种叙事框架。
People often tell themselves stories about their lives because we have narratives about our time.
所以我经常听到一个说法,尤其是来自全职工作的女性:我根本见不到我的家人。
So one story I hear a lot, particularly from women who work full time, is that I never see my family.
对吧?
Right?
比如,我全职工作。
Like, I'm working full time.
因此,我就见不到我的家人。
Therefore, I'm never seeing my family.
名字里不就明明白白写着‘全职’吗?
It's right there in the name, full time.
但一周有168个小时。
But there's a hundred sixty eight hours in a week.
如果你每周工作40小时,或者再多一点,仍然剩下不少时间。
If you're working forty, if you're working a little more than forty, there are still quite a few hours left over.
人们如果记录自己的时间,会惊讶地发现,自己其实花了相当多的时间陪伴家人。
People will track their time, and they are amazed at how much time they are spending with their families.
有一位女性告诉我,我以前总是感到内疚。
I had one woman tell me, I used to feel guilt.
我现在不再感到内疚了。
I don't feel guilt anymore.
我觉得,这正是记录时间的好理由。
I'm like, that's a good reason to track your time.
当你对大家进行这些时间研究时,有没有什么发现?比如大多数人实际上有多少空闲时间或零散时间?有没有一个普遍规律,比如平均每周能找出三个小时之类的?
Did you have any takeaway when you did these time studies with everybody in terms of how much free time or pockets of time there actually was as a general rule that most people were like, oh wow, I've found on average three hours every week or something like that.
关于人们发现的时间量,有什么洞见吗?
Was there an insight around the amount of time that people found?
我认为大多数人每天都能挤出大约一个小时。
I believe most people can find about an hour a day.
每天一小时?
An hour a day?
是的。
Mhmm.
每天一小时?
An hour a day?
每天一小时。
An hour a day.
如果你想想的话,
If you think about Like,
比如,集中在一个小时里,
in in, like, in a compact hour or,
不,不是的。
like No.
不是的。
No.
并不是这样。
It is not.
好的。
Okay.
但但有些片段可能会比其他的更长一些。
But but some of them might be longer chunks than others.
通常至少会有,比如说,30个在你晚上睡觉前。
There often are at least, let's say, 30 before you go to bed at night.
比如,你把生活安排得可以在睡前读三十分钟书。
Like, you've organized your life that you can read for thirty minutes before you go to bed.
也许你可以用午餐休息的十五分钟做些让自己愉快的事,然后用另外十五分钟吃饭。
Maybe it's that you use fifteen minutes on a lunch break for something that is enjoyable to you and, you know, fifteen minutes to eat.
也许在其他地方能找到十五分钟的零碎时间。
Maybe it is a pocket of fifteen minutes somewhere else.
你知道,当孩子们在家里分心的时候,你可以抓住那个时间做点自己喜欢的事,而不是一味刷手机。
You know, the kids are distracted while, you know, at the house, and you can you can seize that time for doing something you'd enjoy instead of just scrolling around on your phone.
这些零碎时间确实会累积起来。
These little bits of time do add up.
而且,你知道,当人们开始用这些零碎时间做自己喜欢的事情时,有时这会激励他们去寻找更大的时间块。
And, you know, we can when people start using these chunks of time for things that they enjoy, sometimes it lights a fire under them to go find bigger chunks of time.
你知道,当你开始读一本特别好的书,二十分钟很快就过去了,你根本不想停下来。
As you know, you start reading a really good book in twenty minutes, you don't wanna stop.
二十分钟里,你会想:嗯,让我去看看。
In twenty minutes, you're like, well, let me go see.
我能找个一小时出来吗?
Can I find an hour somewhere?
是的。
And I Yes.
这是一场不错的寻找。
It's a good hunt.
这种寻找可能很有挑战性,取决于你正处于人生的哪个阶段,但我认为我们一定能做到。
It might be a challenging hunt depending on what time of life you are in, but I think we can make it work.
我喜欢这一点,因为你开始意识到如何安排时间的重要性。
Well, what I love about it is you're starting to wake up to the importance of how you spend your time.
一旦你开始保护它,并用你喜欢的事情填满它,你就提到了一本好书,我们都经历过那种读到一本好书时,只想赶紧回去继续读的感觉。
And once you start protecting it and you start filling it with things that you enjoy, you mentioned a good book and we've all had that experience where you're reading a great book and you just wanna get back to it.
你能看到它是如何开始积累的。
You can see how that starts to build.
你加入的这些积极事物会让你想要找到更多零碎时间来加入更多。
The positive things that you're adding in make you want to find more pockets of time to add in.
所以你不妨试试这个方法。
So you might try that.
如果你一直告诉自己‘我对时间完全没有掌控权,没有任何自由支配的时间’,那就找一本你想知道后续发展的书开始阅读,你可能会发现自己其实还是能挤出几分钟来决定做什么的。
If you're telling yourself the story that I have no control over my time whatsoever, no discretionary time, pick up some sort of, you know, gotta find out what happens book, start reading it, and you might start to see that there are a few more minutes that you can decide what to do with.
而且,你知道,如果你现在正在收听和观看,并且有一本让你爱不释手的好书推荐,请在下方评论区留言,这样我们就能共同整理出一份由大家众筹的书单,列出那些让你一读就停不下来的书籍。
And, you know, if you're listening and watching right now and you have a recommendation for a page turner, please put it in the comments below so that we all have a running list that we've crowdsourced of those books that you just can't put down.
因为这正是一个完美的例子,说明当某件事对你很重要,并且你全身心投入其中时,你总会找到时间的。
Because that is the perfect example of how when it matters to you and you're present to it, you will find the time.
哦,绝对是这样。
Oh, absolutely.
我记得,大概是二十年前吧,我当时正在读《达芬奇密码》,你知道的
I recall, I mean, it was something like twenty years ago now, but I was, reading The Da Vinci Code which, you know
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
那本确实不错
That was a good
以让人手不释卷而闻名。
well known for being a page turner.
不知怎么的,我花了大约十个小时,在三天内读完了这本书。
And somehow, I found whatever it takes, like, ten hours to read this book over the course of, like, three days.
这就像是,我那十个小时的自由时间是从哪里来的?
And it's like, where did I have ten hours of free time?
不知怎么的,我就有了十个小时的自由时间。
Somehow I had ten hours of free time.
不过你的观点是,你在挑战我们真正面对自己——如果你认真去找的话,接下来三天里你很可能会有十个小时的自由时间。
Your point, though, that you're challenging us to really confront ourselves is you probably have ten hours of free time in the next three days if you got serious about finding it.
完全正确。
Absolutely.
这就是重点。
And that's the point.
重点不在于你生活中没有太多要求。
The point is not about the fact that you don't have a lot of demands in your life.
你承认了生活在现代世界的挑战,以及听众(包括我自己)都过着高效充实的生活这一事实。
You're acknowledging the challenge of living in the modern world and the fact that the person that's listening, myself, we have big productive lives.
我们希望在生活中保持投入感,却又总觉得没有时间。
We want to feel engaged in our lives and we feel like we have no time.
你在这里说的是,实际上你确实有时间,我希望你去寻找它。
You're here saying, actually you do, I want you to hunt for it.
是的。
Yes.
我在听你讲的时候为自己收集到的信息是,尽管我对你的研究非常熟悉,但我关于生活和时间的叙述总是围绕着那些我必须做的事情。
What I'm gathering for myself as I listen to you even though I'm very familiar with your research is my narrative about my life and time is about the things I have to do.
这当然会让你感觉自己毫无掌控力。
Which of course sets you up to feel like you have no power.
而当你转变思路,开始思考:好吧,有些事情我不得不做,但这周我还想做什么?我该如何在这周挤出时间来实现其中一部分?这样你就会开始感到更有掌控感?
And when you flip it and start to go, okay, there are things I have to do but what is it that I would also want to be doing this week and how can I find some time in this week in order to fit some of it in, you start to feel more empowered?
是的。
Yes.
这太棒了,劳拉。
This is so good, Laura.
确实很棒。
So good.
好消息是,这甚至不需要花费很多时间。
And the good news is it doesn't even have to be a lot of time.
我见过人们的生活因为每周抽出一小时做自己喜欢的事情而发生转变。
I've seen people's lives transformed by finding an hour to do something that they enjoy in the course of the week.
突然间,这变成了他们期待的事情,并改变了他们的叙事方式。
And suddenly, this becomes something they are looking forward to, and it changes their narrative.
我的生活不再失控,不再任由他人摆布。
My life is no longer out of my control at the mercy of everyone else.
我就是这样一种人,会为让自己开心的事情腾出时间。
I am the kind of person who makes space for things that are fun for me.
这确实是一个更有力量的叙事方式。
And that's just a much more empowering narrative.
我喜欢这一点。
I love that.
确实如此。
It's true.
如果你没有任何期待的事情,却不断告诉自己没时间,生活失控,一再推迟那些真正带来些许快乐的小事,那么扭转这种心态会带来巨大改变。
If you have nothing to look forward to and you're constantly telling yourself that you have no time and things are out of control and you're pushing off the little things that actually bring you a little bit of joy, it would make a big difference to flip this.
这就是这九条规则的由来。
That's where these nine rules come in.
第三条规则是:下午三点前动起来。
So rule number three is move by 3PM.
这是什么意思?
What does that mean?
所以体育锻炼,是的。
So physical activity Yes.
它是一种公认的能量提升剂和情绪提升剂。
Is a known energy booster, mood booster.
好的。
K.
我最喜欢的一项研究之一——这不是我做的,是别人做的——他们让人们按1到10分给自己一天中的精力水平打分。
And one of my favorite studies ever, this wasn't one of mine, but somebody else did, they had people rate their energy in the course of the day on a one to 10 scale.
当人们情绪低落处于三级时,也就是他们真的感到疲惫不堪时,研究人员让他们去做一小段剧烈运动。
And when people were down at a three, so they were really dragging, they had them go do a short burst of physical activity.
比如在办公楼里上下楼梯跑动大约五分钟这样。
So think running up and down the stairs in your office building for for five minutes or so.
必须是做有氧运动吗?
Does it have to be cardio?
比如,我们可以快步走吗?
Like, could we take a brisk walk?
你可以快走一会儿。
Well, you could take a brisk walk.
当然可以。
Absolutely.
我非常推崇快走。
I'm a big fan of a brisk walk.
你知道吗,我不喜欢有氧运动。
You know, I'm anti cardio.
你讨厌的正是那些我们这些不喜欢有氧运动的人。
You're anti just literally for those of us that are anti
只要以某种方式活动身体,让你稍微动起来就行。
cardio moving your body in some way that will will get you get you a little bit of activity there.
所以,这些人只是上下楼梯跑了五分钟。
So, anyway, these people were running up and down the stairs for for five minutes.
我才不干呢,因为我的脸会变得像番茄一样红。
I'm not doing that because my face is gonna be like a tomato.
我们会让你到外面走走,我会接受五分钟这个提议。
We're gonna get you outside walking around I'll for five take that.
然后让他们事后评估自己的精力水平。
And had them rate their energy afterwards.
基本上,他们的心率大约在九左右。
And basically, they were around a nine.
等一下。
Wait.
所以你可以从
So you can go from
比如能量值从3级提升到9级,只需要五分钟?
like a three on energy to a nine in just five minutes?
什么?
What?
你觉得这很疯狂,因为你刚刚才跑上跑下楼梯。
You think this is crazy because like you just ran up and down the stairs.
对吧?
Right?
你不是应该很累吗?
Shouldn't you be exhausted?
但事实证明,短时间的体力活动——至少在我们完全筋疲力尽之前,比如跑马拉松那种程度——反而能让我们更有精力。
But it turns out that physical activity, short bursts of at least before we have time to, you know, completely be exhausted like a marathon, makes us have more energy.
甚至一个小时后,人们仍然给自己的精力水平打分在六分左右。
And even an hour later, people were still rating their energy levels around a six.
所以短时间的剧烈运动能提升情绪,给你更多能量。
So short bursts of physical activity boost your mood, give you more energy.
想想人们花了多少时间、精力和金钱来让自己更快乐、更有活力。
You think about how much time and effort and money people spend to make themselves feel happier and more energetic.
短时间的剧烈运动就能免费做到这一点。
Short bursts of physical activity can do it for free.
对吧?
Right?
为什么是下午3点?
And why 3PM?
如果你追踪一天中的能量水平,很多人在早上8点,喝完第一杯咖啡后,感觉能征服世界。
Well, if you do track your energy during the day, many people at the morning, 8AM, they've had that first cup of coffee, they can conquer the world.
对。
Right.
午饭后,你就不再能征服世界了。
After lunch, you're not conquering the world anymore.
你有点想打个盹儿在
You're kind of taking a nap at
那会儿工作。
that to work.
你只是假装在工作。
You're pretending to work.
下午3点是人们在工作日中测量到的能量水平最低的时候。
3PM is when people reach a low point in terms of their measured energy levels during the workday.
所以如果你到下午3点还没活动,那正是起身到户外快步走的好时机。
So if you haven't moved by 3PM, that is a very good time to get up, go take that brisk walk outside.
回来后你就能真正集中精力完成当天剩余的工作,并且有望完成更多任务。
You will come back actually able to focus for the rest of the day and and hopefully get more done.
这是显而易见的原因
Now that's the obvious reason
好的
K.
制定这条规则是因为体育活动有益健康。
To to to do this rule is because physical activity is good.
对吧?
Right?
对。
Right.
短暂休息一下是有好处的。
Taking short breaks is good.
嗯,而且精力充沛是好事。
Well, and energy is good.
精力充沛是好事。
Energy is good.
在书里写道,引用一下,'运动不占用时间'。
Write in the book that, quote, exercise doesn't take time.
它创造时间。
It makes time.
这是什么意思?
What does that mean?
那么你花在照顾自己、进行锻炼、保证充足睡眠这些事情上的时间,会以怎样的方式回报给你呢?
So the time you spend taking care of yourself and doing things like exercising, getting enough sleep, within reason, this time will be paid back to you How?
在精力更充沛方面。
In terms of more energy.
因为当你精力更充沛时,就能完成更多工作。
Because when you have more energy, you can get more done.
我相信我们都有过这样的经历:因为精神不振,一项任务花了两个小时而不是一个小时。
I'm sure we've all had the experience of a task taking us two hours instead of one because we were so lethargic.
而如果你在一天中精力更充沛的时候处理它,就能顺利完成。
Whereas if you tackled it at a time of day when you had more energy, you get through it.
那些做了短暂体育活动的人,仔细想想,他们只花了五分钟锻炼。
The people who did that short burst of physical activity, if you think about it, they took five minutes to exercise.
没错。
Right.
但我猜测,他们在精力值高于六分的五十五分钟内完成的工作,会比精力值只有三分的一小时内完成的更多。
But I am guessing they got more done in fifty five minutes where their energy was north of a six then they would have gotten done in an hour where their energy was a three.
嗯,不仅如此,我还想深入探讨一下我意识到的一点。
Well, not only that, here's what I also wanna unpack that I'm realizing.
因为你的工作和研究方式让你以不同视角看待时间和体验时间,我从这里得到的启示是——锻炼不占用时间,而是创造时间——如果我们把它当作事实(因为它确实如此),大多数人都有这样的体验:到了下午三点左右,基本上能量槽就空了。
Because so much of your work and the way that your research has you look at time and experience time differently, what I'm gathering from this, that exercise doesn't take time, it makes time, is that if you take it as fact, because it's true, most of us have the experience that by 03:00, basically the gas tank is at zero.
而当你的精力低下时,你就不想去做任何事。
And when your energy is low, you don't feel like doing anything.
所以你下班时情绪低落。
And so you leave work feeling low.
然后你回到家,感觉被工作榨干了,因为你的精力为零,仍然处于枯竭状态,这让你更可能把时间浪费在无意义的事情上,因为你没有精力去做那些真正能让自己感觉更好的事。
And then you arrive home and you feel like drained from work because your energy is at a zero and you're still on empty, which makes it more likely for you to waste time on nonsense because you have no energy to do things for yourself that would actually make you feel better.
于是你责怪工作,认为是工作耗尽了你的精力。
And so then you blame it on work, that work drained you.
所以你基本上是在说,不不不不不。
And so what you're basically saying is no, no, no, no, no.
如果你明白活动身体这件事,是的,可能花五分钟在街区散个步,但比如我在播客访谈间隙这么做之后,总是感觉更好,确实也更有活力了。
If you understand that moving your body, yeah, it might take five minutes to take a walk around the block but I always feel better after I do that in between interviews on the podcast for example and I do feel more energized.
而且不仅仅是我工作效率更高了,我下班时感觉工作已经完成,然后觉得我好像还多了一点时间。
And it's not just that I'm more productive at work, I leave work feeling like work is done and then I feel like I have a little bit more time.
这也是它起作用的原因吗?
Is that is that also why this works?
是的。
Yes.
当你能够利用这段时间,你知道的,就是
When you can use that out, you know, the
下午三点到五点的时间,是的。
hours of three to five Yeah.
来真正把事情完成。
To actually get things done.
没错。
Yeah.
你完成的工作更多了。
You get more done.
你下班时不会有那么多未完成的工作。
You don't have as much leftover work when you are leaving work.
你不会因为没完成任务而觉得需要加班。
You don't feel the need to work longer because you didn't get it done.
没错。
Right.
这会彻底改变你一整天的感觉。
And it changes the whole feel of your day.
但这讲的是要有策略性,明白吗?
But this is about being strategic K.
差不多到点了。
About time.
对吧?
Right?
这条规则的深层原因不仅仅是因为我认为人们在下午中间时段花五到十分钟在街区散步很棒——尽管我觉得如果养成这个习惯将会改变生活。
The deeper reason for this rule is not just because I think it's great for people to go walk around the block for five to ten minutes in the middle of the afternoon even though I think that will be a life changing habit if you build it into your day.
这是因为,你知道,我们很多人一天中大部分时间都坐着,从一个会议赶到另一个会议,或者类似的事情。
It's because, you know, many of us spend a lot of our days sitting and, you know, kind of going from meeting to meeting or things like that.
问自己‘我能在一天中哪里插入五到十分钟的休息时间’,这需要你审视自己的一天?
Saying, where can I put in a five to ten minute break in my day requires you to look at your day?
这需要你思考事情何时会发生,以及何时你能掌控一小部分自己的时间。
It requires you to think about when things are gonna happen and when you can take control of a little bit of your time.
这意味着你要展望这一天,看看什么时候我的精力会下降?
It means you look forward to the day and see, well, when is my energy gonna be low?
我什么时候可以主动安排一个休息时间?
When can I proactively plan in a break?
你就更像是在勘察战场的将军,而不是仅仅在其中行军的士兵。
And you become more like the general surveying the battlefield, right, as opposed to just the soldier marching through it.
你拥有更多的主动权。
You have more agency.
这可能对于一次五到十分钟的散步来说似乎很傻,但我保证这种心态对一切都有帮助。
And that might seem silly for a five to ten minute walk, but I promise that mindset is helpful for everything.
我完全不觉得这很傻。
I don't think that's silly at all.
因为如果你是教师、在医院工作、是急救人员、从事零售业或者自己创业,我想很多人都有这样的体验:一旦你查看了第一封工作邮件、走进办公室或开始工作,一切就都失控了。
Because if you're somebody who's a teacher or you work in a hospital or you're a first responder or you have a retail job or like you run your own thing, I think a lot of us have this experience that the second that you look at the first work email or you walk into the office or you start your work day, all bets are off.
你会完全陷入被动应对的模式。
You're in complete reaction mode.
当你处于反应模式时,比如不停地回复邮件、从一件事赶往另一件事,你实际上并没有真正掌控自己的时间。
And when you're in reaction mode just like answering emails, running from one thing to the next, you're not actually present to your time or in control of it.
这非常消耗精力。
And that's very draining.
你基本上是在说,只要在工作日中抽出五到十分钟的时间,出去走走、做几个深蹲,或者随便做点什么,哪怕只是停下来休息一下,离开椅子站起来,在医院里走一圈,你就是在掌控自己的时间,这会让你感觉到自己并非被动地被周围的一切推着走。
What you're basically saying is by simply saying, okay, I'm gonna find a five to ten minute slot in my workday to get outside or to do a couple squats or anything, take a break for crying out loud and get out of the chair and stand up and walk around the floor of the hospital for a minute, you're taking control of your time, and that gives you a sense that you're not just at the effect of everything around you.
你意思是这样吗?
Is that what you're saying?
是的。
Yes.
我知道有些人的工作比其他人更具被动性。
And I know some people's jobs are way more reactive than others.
对吧?
Right?
你知道,有些工作你对自己在做什么几乎没有控制权。
You know, there are jobs where you don't have a lot of control over what you are doing Right.
一分钟一分钟地。
Minute for minute.
但即使你从事的那种工作,比如经理告诉你每天只能休息两次,每次十分钟,你仍然可以想:在这两次十分钟的休息里,我能做些什么来让自己恢复活力?
But even if you're in the sort of job where, you know, you get two ten minute breaks a day when your manager tells you to go take your break, you can still think, well, what could I do during those two ten minute breaks that would be rejuvenating?
现在,如果你的工作需要长时间站着,比如砍柴之类的,可能就不需要特意去散步了。
Now maybe if you've been standing on your feet, you know, you're chopping lumber for a job or something like that, that you probably don't need to go take a walk.
对。
Right.
但你仍然可以思考:什么能让我感觉更有活力?
But you can still think about what would make me feel more energized.
也许那是一本好书读十分钟,或者给朋友打十分钟电话,而不是随手拿起手机刷来刷去。
And maybe it's reading a really good book for ten minutes or it's calling a friend for ten minutes as opposed to just picking up our phone and scrolling around.
我认为这就是重点,也是你的核心观点。
Well, I think that's the point, is that and this is your overall point.
因为我们没有意识到自己每周拥有的168小时,也没有好好利用这些时间,更没有为重要的事情保护这些碎片时间,因此我们下意识地用刷手机或其他连自己都记不起来的事情填满它们。
Because we're not present to the hundred and sixty eight hours that we have every week and how we're utilizing that time, we are not protecting these pockets of time for things that are important, and therefore, we reflexively fill it with nonsense by looking at our phone or doing other things that we don't even remember.
当我们认为自己没有时间时,就不会去思考我们想用这些时间做什么。
When we think we have no time, we don't ask what we'd like to do with our time.
是的。
Yes.
但当时间真的出现时,我们总是选择最容易的事,通常就是拿起手机刷个不停。
But then when time does appear, we do whatever is easiest, which tends to be picking up the phone and scrolling around.
而当你意识到自己确实拥有时间,确实有这些可以自主支配的小块时间时,你就会开始思考:我到底想用它来做些什么呢?
Whereas when you have the story that I do have some time, I do have these small chunks of time that I can exercise discretion over, then you start to ask, well, what would I like to do with it?
什么能让我感到快乐?
What would make me feel happy?
什么能让我充满活力?
What would make me feel energized?
什么能让我感到焕然一新?
What would make me feel rejuvenated?
而这正是一个更有力量的问题。
And that's just a much more powerful question.
我可以给你举个很简单的例子,说明我做过的一个改变正好印证了这个观点。
I can give you a very simple example of one change that I've made that illustrates this point.
我甚至没意识到这和你的研究有关联。
I didn't even realize it relates to your research.
当我在杂货店排队时,我会利用那段时间闭上眼睛,练习四四四呼吸法。
When I'm standing in a line at a grocery store, I use that time to close my eyes and just practice the four by four by four breathing.
就是吸气四秒,屏息一秒,再呼气。
You know, you breathe in four seconds, hold it for a second, breathe out.
我不会去拿手机。
And I don't reach for my phone.
我无法向你描述,学会在排队时不分心、专注于呼吸这个看似微不足道的习惯,给我的生活带来了多少平静——甚至在那一刻,时间仿佛都延展了。
And I cannot tell you the difference that what seems dumb little habit of learning how to stand in a line and not distract myself and just be present to my breathing, how much peace that is brought into my life and how even in that moment, it's almost like time expands.
以前的我排队时会变得烦躁沮丧,你知道的,我会放任这种情绪,然后开始看手机。
And the old me would stand in a line and get pissed off and frustrated and you know, I'd let them, let them, let and then I'd be looking at my phone.
但现在我意识到,不能这样。
But realizing, no.
不是的。
No.
不对。
No.
不能这样。
No.
这正是你所说的那些零散时间。
This is a pocket of time that you're talking about.
如果我意识到这是一段零散时间,这些小瞬间很重要,我用它来做什么——是带来喜悦与平静,还是更多的无意识和分心——你会感觉更好,而且这些时刻会累积起来。
And if I'm aware that it's a pocket of time and that these small moments matter and what I fill it with can either bring me joy and peace or it can just be more mindlessness and distraction, you you do feel better and they add up.
我很喜欢这个观点。
I love it.
我的iPhone会在周日早上告诉我这一周我在它上面花了多少时间。
My iPhone tells me on Sunday morning how much time I have spent on it in the course of the week.
所以它会在周日早上给我发送这条通知,告诉我我花了多少时间。
And so it sends me this note on Sunday morning of how much time I have spent.
这有点像是一个觉醒的时刻,我想。
It's a bit of a, you know, a moment of reckoning, I guess.
但实际时间总是比我想象的要多,就是因为这些小片段。
But it's always higher than I think it is, and it's because of moments like that.
对吧?
Right?
比如你站在杂货店排队,或者在接孩子的地方等待,又或者在等一通电话开始。
That you're standing in line in the grocery store or waiting to pick up a kid somewhere or you're waiting for a phone call to start.
那在这些时候,我们做什么呢?
And what do we do at that time?
我们掏出手机,开始刷来刷去。
We pull out our phones, start scrolling around.
其实并没有什么非看不可的信息在手机上。
Nothing happened on the phone that you needed to look at.
即使有什么重要的事发生,你也可以在有空的时候再处理。
Even if something important is happening, if it you could have looked at it at a time when you were able to deal with it.
对吧?
Right?
最糟糕的情况是,你收到一封确实很重要的邮件,然后你就会想,好吧,我在超市排队时没法处理它。
The worst is you're getting some email that actually is important, and you're like, well, I can't deal with it while I'm in the line at the supermarket.
所以现在我不但还在超市排队,还因为手头这封紧急邮件而感到焦虑。
So now not only am I still in line at the supermarket, I'm feeling anxious about the fact that I have this hot email here.
是的。
Yes.
所以,你知道,有意识地利用零碎时间寻找点滴快乐会改变你的生活。
So, you know, consciously using bits of time for bits of joy will change your life.
我同意你的观点。
I agree with you.
我确实这么认为。
I really do.
你的第四条效率法则是每周三次就能形成习惯。
Your fourth rule of productivity is three times a week is a habit.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。