The Moth - 快捷方式:飞蛾播客 封面

快捷方式:飞蛾播客

Shortcuts: The Moth Podcast

本集简介

本周节目中,讲述两个关于走捷径的故事。由丹·肯尼迪主持。 讲述者: 劳伦斯·伍德对他的读书会太过诚实。 阿曼达·埃格在康复期间发挥创意。 了解更多关于听众数据和我们的隐私政策,请访问:https://www.audacyinc.com/privacy-policy 了解更多关于您的广告选择,请访问:https://podcastchoices.com/adchoices

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

欢迎收听飞蛾播客。

Welcome to the Moth Podcast.

Speaker 0

我是丹·肯尼迪。

I'm Dan Kennedy.

Speaker 0

很多时候,故事讲的是走弯路。

Many times stories are about taking the long way.

Speaker 0

它们讲述的是当我们做出明知对自己有益却十分艰难的决定时,会发生什么。

They're about what happens when we make the difficult decision that we knew would be good for us, and we made it even though it was tough.

Speaker 0

但当我们没有真正迎接挑战时,又会怎样呢?

But what about the times when we don't exactly rise to the challenge?

Speaker 0

本周,有两个关于走捷径的故事。

This week, two stories about taking shortcuts.

Speaker 0

首先,我们有劳伦斯·伍德现场讲述于芝加哥的飞蛾故事擂台,当晚的主题是帮派、小团体和人群。

First up, we have Lawrence Wood live at the Moth Story Slam in Chicago, where the theme of the night was gangs, clicks, and crowds.

Speaker 0

以下是劳伦斯。

Here's Lawrence.

Speaker 1

当我还是青少年时,我只读学校要求我读的东西。

When I was a teenager, I read only what I had to for school.

Speaker 1

偶尔也有例外。

And there were rare exceptions.

Speaker 1

九年级时,有一天放学后,我的英语老师把我叫到一旁,给了我一本叫《学习之树》的书,作者是戈登·帕克斯,他现在最出名的身份是1971年电影《沙夫》的导演。

In ninth grade, my English teacher took me aside after class one day and she gave me a book called The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks, who's best remembered now as the director of the 1971 movie Shaft.

Speaker 1

这是一部不错的电影,这本书也很棒。

And, it's a good movie, it was a good book.

Speaker 1

《学习之树》是戈登·帕克斯对自己20世纪30年代在南方腹地作为黑人成长经历的自述。

And The Learning Tree is his autobiographical account of growing up black in the Deep South in the nineteen thirties.

Speaker 1

这本书在我学校被禁了,因为开头有一段短暂的性场景,虽然远没有达到我期待的露骨程度,但我还是喜欢这本书。

And it was banned in my school because of a brief sex scene at the beginning that was not nearly explicit enough for my taste, but but I liked the book.

Speaker 1

但即便如此,它也没能激发起老师所期望的那种阅读热情。

But still, it didn't trigger a love of reading that my teacher hoped it would.

Speaker 1

我依然只读那些不得不读的东西。

I still only read what I had to.

Speaker 1

但那直到我高三时才发生改变,那时我选了一位英语老师的课,一开始我根本不喜欢她。

But that finally changed my senior year when I took an English class from a teacher who at first, I really didn't like at all.

Speaker 1

她让我们读《简·爱》并写一篇读书报告。

She had us read and write a book report on Jane Eyre.

Speaker 1

报告截止的前一晚,我赶工写出了初稿,在封面写上《简·爱》作为标题,因为这篇论文就是关于这本书的,然后交了上去。

And the night before the report was due, I banged out a first draft, and I typed Jane Eyre on the title page, because that's what the paper was about, and handed it in.

Speaker 1

一周后,她把我的论文举起来说:这不是《简·爱》。

And a week later, she holds my paper up in the air and she says, this is not Jane Eyre.

Speaker 1

这是一篇写得非常糟糕的《简·爱》分析。

This is a very poorly written analysis of Jane Eyre.

Speaker 1

然后她说:D。

And then she said, D.

Speaker 1

她把一本平装本给了我。

And she gave me the paperback.

Speaker 1

但接着她开始布置更多当代作家的作品,我非常喜欢这些书,第一次真正明白了人们为什么为了乐趣而阅读。

But then she started assigning books by more contemporary authors that I really loved, and I finally understood for the first time why people read for pleasure.

Speaker 1

从那时起,我开始不停地阅读。

And from that point on, I read constantly.

Speaker 1

多年后,我加入了一个读书会。

And many years later, I joined a book group.

Speaker 1

这个读书会里有一些学者,比如英语教授,他们对文学非常认真。

And this book group had some academics in it, English professors, people who took literature very seriously.

Speaker 1

其中有一位名叫劳拉的女士,她在西北大学教英语,她连续两个月负责为我们选书。

And one of them was a woman named Laura, who taught English at Northwestern University, and she got to assign our book two months in a row.

Speaker 1

她第一次选的书是唐娜·塔特的《秘密历史》,讲的是一群自命不凡的大学生杀死其中一人的故事,我简直讨厌透了。

And the first book she assigned was The Secret History by Donna Tartt, which is about this group of pretentious college students who kill one of their own, and I just hated it.

Speaker 1

当我看到作者的照片时,我想:哦,这就是她推荐这本书的原因。

And when I looked at the author photo, I thought, oh, this is why she, recommended it.

Speaker 1

作者长得和她一模一样。

The author looked just like her.

Speaker 1

这本书又长又无聊,而且只有一个人死了,我真希望所有人都死掉。

And and it was long and boring and and only one of the characters died and I wanted them all to die.

Speaker 1

下个月,她让我们读约瑟夫·康拉德的《吉姆老爷》。

And the next month, she made us read, or she told us to read, Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad.

Speaker 1

我没读这本书,部分是因为它让我想起高中时讨厌的十九世纪小说,比如《简·爱》,部分是因为我还在为必须读《秘密历史》而生气。

And I didn't read it, partly because it reminded me of the nineteenth century novels like Jane Eyre that I hated in high school, and partly because I was still so annoyed about having to read The Secret History.

Speaker 1

所以我明白自己得错过讨论,但在讨论当晚,我顺路去了Tower唱片店,看到一整排黄色和黑色的《克里夫笔记》学习指南。

And so I knew I'd have to miss the discussion, but on the night this discussion was scheduled to take place, I stopped off at Tower Records, and there I saw a whole rack full of those yellow and black study guides called CliffsNotes.

Speaker 1

我看到了一本《吉姆老爷》的笔记,心想:也许我还能去参加讨论。

And I saw one for Lord Jim and I thought, maybe I can go to the discussion.

Speaker 1

于是我去了,并把我从《克里夫笔记》里读到的内容当作自己的见解提了出来。

So I went and I offered as my own insight something that I had read in the CliffsNotes.

Speaker 1

劳拉说:这真有意思。

And Laura said, well that's really interesting.

Speaker 1

然后她进一步问我关于我那个观点的细节,于是我复述了自己还记得的笔记内容。

And then she asked me, you know, more about the comment I'd made and so I repeated what I could remember from the study guide.

Speaker 1

我们就这样一来一往,整个晚上主导了整个讨论。

And we went back and forth like this, really dominated the discussion for the whole evening.

Speaker 1

到了晚上结束时,大家都认为这次讨论非常成功。

And at the end of the night, everybody agreed that the discussion had been a success.

Speaker 1

尽管我本该感到庆幸并保持沉默,但我还是承认自己看了《CliffsNotes》。

And even though I should have just been relieved and kept my mouth shut, I confessed to reading the CliffsNotes.

Speaker 1

所有人都盯着我看,劳拉的表情就像被我狠狠打了一拳。

And everybody just stared at me and Laura looked like I kicked her in the gut.

Speaker 1

当我回家告诉妻子发生了什么事时,她问:‘你当时在想什么?’

And when I got home and told my wife what happened, she said, what were you thinking?

Speaker 1

她自己参加读书会已经很多年了,是另一个读书会,她知道这种事是绝对不能做的。

And she she had been in a book group for many years, another book group, and she knew that these things were just not done.

Speaker 1

第二天早上,小组里一个男人给我打了电话,他说:‘听着,你昨晚离开后,我们几个人聊了聊发生的事,决定你最好别再回来了。’

And the next morning, a guy from the group called me and he said, look, after you left last night, a few of us were talking about what happened and we decided it would be better if you didn't return.

Speaker 1

我说:‘你们要把我赶出去?’

And I said, you're kicking me out?

Speaker 1

他说:‘是的。’

And he said, yes.

Speaker 1

我说,一个读书会?

And I said, of a book group?

Speaker 1

他说,是的。

And he said, yes.

Speaker 1

我说,因为我看了《克里夫笔记》。

And I said, because I read the CliffsNotes.

Speaker 1

他说,是的,因为你看了《克里夫笔记》。

And he said, yes, because you read the CliffsNotes.

Speaker 1

拉里,你作弊了。

Larry, you cheated.

Speaker 1

我简直不敢相信我听到的话。

And I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Speaker 1

我以前从没听说过有人会被读书会开除。

I had never heard of anybody getting expelled from a book group before.

Speaker 1

我妻子也从来没听说过。

And neither had my wife.

Speaker 1

当我告诉她这个消息时,她说:‘嗯,这确实是我没想到的。’

And when I gave her the news, she said, well, you know, that I didn't expect.

Speaker 1

她的语气听起来很同情。

And she sounded sympathetic.

Speaker 1

于是我问:‘那我可以加入你们的读书会吗?’

So I said, well, can I join your book group?

Speaker 1

她回答:‘绝对不行。’

And she said, absolutely not.

Speaker 1

谢谢。

Thank you.

Speaker 1

That

Speaker 0

那是劳伦斯·伍德。

was Lawrence Wood.

Speaker 0

劳伦斯是一名律师,也是《莫思故事会》的常客,同时在芝加哥大学担任法学讲师,教授一门关于贫困法的研讨课。

Lawrence is an attorney, a Moth StorySlam regular, and a lecturer in law at the University of Chicago where he teaches a seminar on poverty law.

Speaker 0

劳伦斯还七次赢得《纽约客》漫画标题大赛,创下纪录。

Lawrence has also won the New Yorker cartoon caption contest a record setting seven times.

Speaker 0

接下来是阿曼达·埃格。

Up next, Amanda Egge.

Speaker 0

另外提醒一下我们的听众。

And a quick heads up to our listeners.

Speaker 0

这个故事涉及药物使用和成瘾问题,所以我们想提前提醒一下。

This story deals with drug use and addiction, so we just wanted to give you a quick note about that.

Speaker 0

阿曼达在洛杉矶举行的《毛虫》大奖赛上分享了这个故事。

Amanda shared this story at a Moth Grand Slam in Los Angeles.

Speaker 0

当晚的主题是‘深水区’。

The theme of the night was the deep end.

Speaker 2

我知道我们必须戒掉海洛因,因为我们快没钱了。

I knew we had to quit heroin because we were running out of money.

Speaker 2

说实话,当瘾君子根本不是我的人生计划。

And honestly, being a junkie was not part of my life plan.

Speaker 2

当时我23岁,和大学男友多米尼克住在纽约,还有我们的三只猫,每天花120美元买海洛因。

At the time, was 23, living in New York with my college boyfriend Dominic, our three cats, and a $120 a day heroin habit.

Speaker 2

多米尼克和我试过自己戒毒,但从来没能撑过戒断的第三天。

Dominic and I had tried quitting on our own, but we could never make it past the third day of withdrawal.

Speaker 2

对于那些从未戒过海洛因的人,那感觉就像你经历过的最严重的流感,再乘以一百万倍。

For those of you who've never kicked heroin before, it's like the worst flu you've ever had times a million.

Speaker 2

但最难熬的不是剧烈的抽筋、焦虑、腹泻、呕吐或冷汗。

But the hardest part is not the severe cramping, anxiety, diarrhea, vomiting or cold sweats.

Speaker 2

而是你知道,那种不安或痛苦,坐一程地铁就能在布什维克找到。

It's knowing that the insecurity or misery is just a subway ride away in Bushwick.

Speaker 2

不过,去康复中心似乎太极端了。

Still, going to rehab seemed like too drastic a move.

Speaker 2

我的确对海洛因上瘾,如果超过几个小时不吸,就会开始难受。

I mean, yes, I was addicted to heroin and I couldn't go more than a couple of hours without using or I'd start to feel sick.

Speaker 2

海洛因还让人完全无法高潮,所以我已经一年半没有高潮过了。

And heroin makes it impossible to orgasm so I hadn't come in a year and a half.

Speaker 2

我便秘得厉害,竟然戴着乳胶手套从肛门里挖出硬得像石头的粪便。

And I was so constipated that I found myself digging rock hard poop out of my butt with latex gloves.

Speaker 2

但当时我还在全美排名第一的哲学博士项目里。

But I was also in the number one PhD program for philosophy.

Speaker 2

我根本不可能错过我的形而上学研讨课。

And there was no way I could miss my metaphysics seminar.

Speaker 2

于是我找到了一个门诊项目,他们会给患者开达罗芬、氯硝西泮和可乐定,帮助逐步戒除阿片类药物。

So I found an outpatient program that would prescribe you darvon, clonopin and clonidine to help step you down off opiates.

Speaker 2

我们试过几次,但总是因为一些愚蠢的原因复吸,比如有一天我环顾公寓,发现乱七八糟,就给多米尼克留了张便条。

And we did that a couple of times, but we kept relapsing for stupid reasons like one day I was looking around the apartment and it was a mess, and so I wrote Dominic a note about it.

Speaker 2

当我回家时,他正坐在沙发上吸海洛因。

And when I got home, he was sitting on the couch smoking heroin.

Speaker 2

我问他:‘你这是在干什么?’

And I was like, what are you doing?

Speaker 2

他回答:‘你便条上不是说让我去拿吗?’

And he said, in your note you said to pick up.

Speaker 2

我说的是公寓。

And I said, I meant the apartment.

Speaker 2

但他就在那儿吸海洛因,所以我也吸了。

But there he was smoking heroin, so I did too.

Speaker 2

又一次复吸后的一天,我开始恐慌发作。

One day after another relapse, I started having a panic attack.

Speaker 2

不知为什么,那一刻我拿起电话给妈妈打了过去。

And for some reason in that moment, I picked up the phone to call my mom.

Speaker 2

我说:妈妈,你得来纽约。

I said, Mom, you have to come to New York.

Speaker 2

我有件事想告诉你。

There's something I want to tell you.

Speaker 2

我就说了这些。

That's all I said.

Speaker 2

她没有问是什么事,只是立刻买了机票。

She didn't ask what it was, she just got on a plane.

Speaker 2

但事实是,她其实早就知道了。

But the truth is, she already knew.

Speaker 2

她只是不知道那是海洛因。

She just didn't know it was heroin.

Speaker 2

我妈妈见了我、我的治疗师,我的治疗师说,你需要去戒毒所。

My mom met with me and my therapist and my therapist said, you need to go to rehab.

Speaker 2

我说,不,我只需要去夏威夷之类的地方。

And I said, no, I just need to go to Hawaii or something.

Speaker 2

他却说,不,你必须去戒毒所。

And he said, no, you need to go to rehab.

Speaker 2

亚利桑那州有一家,叫塞拉图森。

There's one in Arizona, it's called Sierra Tucson.

Speaker 2

我说,让我考虑一下。

And I said, let me think about it.

Speaker 2

那天晚上我回家后,上网搜索了塞拉图森,发现他们的网站上说那里有马。

So that night I went home and I googled Sierra Tucson and I saw on their website that they have horses.

Speaker 2

从小我就一直很喜欢骑马。

And growing up, I'd always loved going horseback riding.

Speaker 2

我决定去戒毒中心,因为他们有马。

I decided that I could go to rehab because they had horses.

Speaker 2

不是为了骑马,而是为了那些马。

Not to get off horse, but for the horses.

Speaker 2

第二天我就去告诉我的治疗师:好的,我愿意去西耶拉图森。

I went in the next day and I told my therapist, okay, yes, I'll go to Sierra Tucson.

Speaker 2

他说:现在不行,你的男朋友也要去那里。

And he said, you can't now, your boyfriend is going there.

Speaker 2

我说:去你的,那是我的戒毒中心。

And I said, fuck you, that's my rehab.

Speaker 2

然后我冲出了房间。

And I stormed out of the room.

Speaker 2

我妈妈劝我回去,我的治疗师说:没关系,还有其他戒毒中心。

My mom convinced me to come back in and my therapist said, it's okay, There are other rehabs.

Speaker 2

马里布有一家。

There's one in Malibu.

Speaker 2

我说,那里有马吗?

And I said, does it have horses?

Speaker 2

他说,没有,但那里有名人。

And he said, no, but it has celebrities.

Speaker 2

我到康复中心时,已经戒断海洛因二十四小时了。

By the time I arrived in rehab, was already twenty four hours into heroin withdrawal.

Speaker 2

他们给了我一些药物帮助度过最初的几天戒断期,但我还是感觉很糟糕,第一个月几乎睡不着觉。

They gave me some stuff to help through the first couple days of detox, but I still felt like shit and I couldn't really sleep for the first month.

Speaker 2

海洛因会让你极度放松,当你的身体习惯了这种状态,一旦停用,留下的就是焦虑和肾上腺素。

Heroin makes you super relaxed and when your body gets used to that and you take it away, what you're left with is edginess and adrenaline.

Speaker 2

晚上,康复中心会带我们去参加外面的药物和酒精戒断会议。

At night, the rehab would take us to these outside drug and alcohol meetings.

Speaker 2

有两个来自其他康复中心的男生,我总在会议上和他们待在一起,因为他们长得帅,而且还是名人。

And there was these two guys from another rehab that I would always hang out with at the meetings because they were cute, but also because they were celebrities.

Speaker 2

有一晚,其中一个人对我说:嘿,我们今天闻了发胶。

One night, one of them said to me, hey, we huffed hair mousse today.

Speaker 2

怎么闻?

How?

Speaker 2

我问。

I asked.

Speaker 2

我已经在康复中心的洗手间里,盯着一瓶空气清新剂上的吸入警告标签好几个星期了,想弄明白该怎么操作。

I'd been sitting in the rehab bathroom staring at a huffing warning label on a bottle of air freshener for weeks, trying to figure out how to do it.

Speaker 2

他们告诉了我方法,那天晚上我回到康复中心,翻遍了其他病人的东西,偷走了我能找到的所有发胶——一共两瓶,并把它们藏了起来。

They told me, and that night I went back to the rehab, and I went through all the other patients' stuff, and I stole every bottle of hair mousse that I could find, which was two, and I hid them.

Speaker 2

然后,每当我感觉需要上瘾时,就会去洗手间闻一闻。

And then whenever I felt like I needed to get high, I would go in the bathroom and take a huff.

Speaker 2

吸入发胶让康复生活变得好熬多了。

Huffing made rehab really manageable.

Speaker 2

后来我用完了发胶,就开始像每周要香烟一样要求提供发胶,但不知为什么,康复中心从来就没给我送过。

Then I ran out of the hair mousse, and I started requesting it along with my weekly carton of cigarettes, but for some reason, the rehab never brought me any.

Speaker 2

然后有一天,一个当地的马里布女孩来接我去参加一个会议。

And then one day, this local Malibu girl came and picked me up to take me to a meeting.

Speaker 2

我坐在她的车里,知道我们即将经过一家美发用品店,我想我应该请她停一下,好买些发胶。

And I was riding with her in her car, and I knew we were about to pass by a beauty supply store, and I thought I should just ask her to stop so that I can get some hair mousse.

Speaker 2

接着我想到,天啊,我这一生都要当个发胶成瘾者吗?

And then my next thought was, oh my god, am I just gonna be a hair moose addict for the rest of my life?

Speaker 2

就在那一刻,我意识到,毒品对我来说已经结束了。

That was the moment I realized that drugs were over for me.

Speaker 2

在康复中心,他们告诉你,必须跌到谷底才能戒掉。

In rehab, they tell you that you have to hit bottom in order to get clean.

Speaker 2

但跌到谷底并不是像触到泳池底部那样。

But hitting bottom isn't like touching the floor of a pool.

Speaker 2

它比那要模糊得多。

It's murkier than that.

Speaker 2

因为无论你的谷底在哪里,你总还能再往下沉。

Because no matter where your bottom is, you could always go lower.

Speaker 2

多米尼克在离开西erra图森后最后一次使用海洛因时,找到了自己的最低点。

Dominic found his bottom when he used heroin one last time after he left Sierra Tucson.

Speaker 2

但对我来说,让我意识到自己是个瘾君子的并不是海洛因。

But for me, it wasn't the heroin that convinced me I was a drug addict.

Speaker 2

而是那罐发胶。

It was the hair moose.

Speaker 0

那是阿曼达·埃格。

That was Amanda Egge.

Speaker 0

阿曼达在青少年和二十岁出头时经历了悲剧、喜剧和海洛因成瘾,但在23岁时扭转了人生。

Amanda lived through tragedy, comedy, and heroin addiction in her teens and early twenties, but turned her life around at the age of 23.

Speaker 0

她现在已婚,有两个孩子,经营着一家受欢迎的家庭烘焙店,专门制作装饰糖霜饼干。

She's now married with two kids and runs a popular home bakery specializing in decorated sugar cookies.

Speaker 0

我们跟进了解了她现在的状况,她说:‘自从2001年离开康复中心后,我就再也没碰过发胶或海洛因。’

We followed up with her to see how she's doing now, and she says, quote, I haven't used hair mousse or heroin since I left rehab in 2001.

Speaker 0

我现在过着非常普通的生活,和二十岁出头时完全不一样了,而且我和丈夫度蜜月时,终于去了夏威夷。

I live a pretty normal life now that looks nothing like it did when I was in my early twenties, and I did finally get that trip to Hawaii when my husband and I went on our honeymoon.

Speaker 0

不幸的是,那时我也没能骑马。

Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride horses then either.

Speaker 0

最后,如果你或你认识的人正在与成瘾作斗争,可以拨打物质滥用和心理健康管理局的全国热线:180662。

Lastly, if you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, you can call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration's national hotline, 180662.

Speaker 0

这次就到这里了,但我们会很快回来,带来更多故事。

That's gonna do it this time around, but we'll be back again soon with some more stories.

Speaker 0

在那之前,来自The Moth全体成员的祝福:愿你拥有精彩的一周。

And until then, from all of us here at The Moth, have a story worthy week.

Speaker 2

丹·肯尼迪是《先输的人》《摇滚吧》和《美国精神》的作者。

Dan Kennedy is the author of Loser Goes First, Rock On, and American Spirit.

Speaker 2

他也是The Moth的常驻主持人和故事讲述者。

He's also a regular host and storyteller with The Moth.

Speaker 0

播客制作由朱莉娅·珀塞尔和保罗·鲁斯特负责。

Podcast production by Julia Pursell and Paul Ruest.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客