本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你好。
Hello.
欢迎来到《余下的都是历史》。
Welcome to the rest is history.
历史从哪里开始,又到哪里结束?
Where does history start and end?
九十年代是否太近了,还不算历史?
Are the nineteen nineties too recent to count as history?
嗯,这是我们的播客,所以我们定规则。
Well, this is our podcast, so we make the rules.
欢迎来到《余下的都是历史》,这档拒绝被常规束缚的播客。
Welcome to the rest is history, the podcast that refuses to be bound by convention.
今天,我们将回顾那个带给我们绿洲乐队和模糊乐队、鲍里斯·叶利钦、南斯拉夫解体、莫妮卡·莱温斯基和小_blobby先生的十年。
And today, we're looking back at the decade that gave us Oasis and Blur, Boris Yeltsin, the death of Yugoslavia, Monica Lewinsky, and mister Blobby.
汤姆·霍兰德。
Tom Holland.
你还记得二十世纪九十年代吗?
Do you remember the nineteen nineties?
我的意思是,那应该是什么时候?
I mean, must have been what?
1940年?
'40?
1945年?
'45?
闲聊一直在继续。
The banter keeps the banter keeps playing.
我在二十世纪九十年代的时候二十多岁,所以对那段日子有些记忆。
It was I was in my twenties in the nineteen nineties, so I remember bits of it.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得,多米尼克,最好的切入点是——是的。
And I think the best way to get into this, Dominic, since Yes.
这非常符合你的领域,首先要从托马斯·琼斯的一条推文说起,他问:我的历史老师说,五十年前就是历史。
This is very much your field, is to is to start with a tweet from Thomas Jones who asked who says, my history teacher said that fifty years ago is history.
少于五十年的就是政治。
Anything less is politics.
无论数字是多少,都必须有一个分界线。
Whatever the number, there must be a cut off.
这令人兴奋,因为它可能暗示着实际上
And that's exciting because it it might suggest that actually
是的。
Yeah.
我的职业生涯结束了。
My career is over.
你没有合法性。
You're not legitimate.
你的整个职业生涯都结束了。
Your entire career is over.
嗯,我的意思是,很多人多年来一直这么说,
Well, I mean, a lot of people have been saying that for years,
公平地说。
to be fair.
但我想先保留这个令人兴奋的可能性,因为在进入九十年代和这个问题之前,让我们简单回顾一下上一期节目,当时我们列出了十大奇怪战争,收到了很多反馈。
But I want to leave that that exciting possibility hanging because before we come to the nineties and that question, just a quick reprise to our last episode, which was, we gave our list of top 10 weird wars, and we've had quite, quite a response to that.
我们确实收到了。
We have.
是的。
Yeah.
给我们提供了一些新的建议。
Giving giving us some suggestions.
所以我们收到了史蒂文·克拉克的三条建议。
So we have three from Steven Clark.
首先是旗帜之战,一场关于旗杆的冲突,毛利人击败了大英帝国。
So we have the Flagstaff War, a scrap about a flagpole in which the Maori beat the British Empire.
我猜你对这个很了解吧,多米尼克。
I assume you know all about that, Dominic.
我根本一点都不了解这个。
I I know nothing about that at all.
但你一定知道足球战争。
But you must know about the football war.
这是斯蒂芬的第二个建议。
This is Stephen's second suggestion.
是的。
Yeah.
所以很多人对我们说,你们为什么没选足球战争?
So I didn't a lot of people said to us, why didn't you pick the football war?
萨尔瓦多和洪都拉斯在1969年世界杯预选赛后爆发了战争。
El Salvador and Honduras fighting in 1969 after a World Cup qualifier.
我的意思是,这相当有名,而且我们之前已经介绍了不少拉丁美洲的战争。
I mean, I think it's, a, quite well known, and we had quite a lot of South American, sort of Latin American wars.
但这确实是一场很棒的奇怪战争。
But it is a good a good weird war.
如果你要选奇怪的战争,足球战争是个不错的选择。
If you're gonna do weird wars, the football war is a good one.
克拉克的第三个是什么?
What what's what's Clark's third one?
星球大战。
The Star Wars.
这可不是指那些电影。
So that's not the films.
这是五月到七月之间玛雅人之间的一系列冲突。
It's a series of Mayan conflicts between May and July.
而且
And
你一定知道这个。
You must know that.
是的。
Yeah.
你对这个真的很了解啊,汤姆,那是你朋友。
You know that really well, do Tom, that's your buddy.
烂熟于心。
Back of my hand.
再说一遍,我从来没听说过这个。
Again, I've never heard of that.
没有。
No.
我们从戴夫·沃特斯那里得到了一个绝妙的建议:1925年因一名边境警卫追击一只流浪狗而引发的战争,发生在希腊和保加利亚之间,持续了十一天。
We got one from Dave Waters who offers this priceless suggestion, the war of the stray dog in 1925 caused by the shooting of a border guard chasing a stray dog, Greece, Bulgaria, lasted eleven days.
而且他像往常一样有个很棒的播客。
And then he has a great podcast as per usual.
所以我们非常欣赏这个建议。
So we very much like that suggestion.
吉姆·朱有一个更短的。
Jim Zhu has an even shorter one.
英桑战争。
The Anglo Zanzibar war.
他说太短了,进不了列表。
He says too short to make the list.
如果敌对行动持续时间不到一场足球赛半场加时前的时间,这还能算战争吗?
Is it still a war if hostilities lasted length of half a football match before stoppage time?
所以,是的,这场战争持续了大约四十五分钟。
So, yes, this was a war that lasted about forty five minutes.
我认为英国人想除掉桑给巴尔的统治者。
And I think the British wanted to get rid of the ruler of Zanzibar.
我记不清具体细节了。
I can't remember the exact details.
但基本上,是的,它持续时间不到半场足球赛,而且我认为英国有一个水兵受伤了。
But, basically, yes, it lasted less than a half of football, and I think British one sailor was injured.
我们赢了,就像我们经常赢的那样,这种炮舰外交
We won, as we often won, these sort of gunboat diplomacy back
在那个年代。
in those days.
是的。
Yeah.
然后我们还有两个爱尔兰的。
And then we've got two Irish ones.
我们有一个
We've got one
来自多米尼克的。
from Dominic.
抱歉。
Sorry.
不。
No.
我是多米尼克。
I am Dominic.
嗯。
Yeah.
我知道。
I know it.
我不该一直不发,其实我应该开始这么做。
I'm not sending I I should start doing that, actually.
开始给我们播客发问题吧。
Start sending questions to to our podcast.
是的。
Yes.
多米尼克·桑德布鲁克发来一个荒谬的问题。
Dominic Sandbrook has written in with a ludicrous question.
这说的是什么胡话?
What nonsense is this?
这不是你,多米尼克。
It's not you, Dominic.
是伊恩·温特顿引起了我们对1866年爱尔兰入侵加拿大的关注。
It's Ian Winterton who drew our attention to, the eighteen sixty six Irish invasion of Canada.
我对这件事一无所知。
I don't know anything about that.
我要去查一下这个。
I'm gonna look that one up.
还有埃蒙德·麦克金蒂,库尔德雷姆尼战役,我希望我念对了,发生在爱尔兰大约五月的时候。
And Emond MacGinty, the battle of Cul Dremney, I hope I I hope I pronounced that right, in around May in Ireland.
这场战争是因为一本祈祷书而引发的。
It was started over a prayer book.
圣芬尼安和圣哥伦巴在双方都声称拥有抄写员的所有权后,发动了这场战争。
Saint Finian and Saint Columba began the war after both claimed ownership of the sorter.
我的意思是,这真是个绝佳的理由。
I mean, that's an excellent reason.
苏格兰不是发生过一场著名的祈祷书战争吗?
There was a famous prayer book war, wasn't there, in Scotland?
16年,是哪一年?
'16 when is it?
1638年、1640年,或者类似的时间,那是普拉布战争。
1638, 1640 or whatever it is, Prabhu War then.
还有一场关于起泡酒查理的战争。
And there's one from sparkling wine Charlie.
他说他有点失望,或者她有点失望,因为没提到鳕鱼战争。
He says he's slightly disappointed, or she's slightly disappointed, that the Turbot War wasn't mentioned.
汤姆,我知道你对鳕鱼战争了如指掌。
Tom, I'm I know you know all about the Turbot War.
这是不是指鳕鱼战争?
Is this it's not Cod Wars, is it?
不是。
No.
我不知道那是什么。
I don't know what it is.
鳕鱼也不是。
Cod either.
我知道鳕鱼战争,但我真的想把它忘掉,因为我们输掉了鳕鱼战争。
I know about the Cod Wars, but I but I I mean, we lost the Cod Wars, I've kind of tried to blank it out.
但火枪鱼战争对我来说是个谜。
But the Turbot War is a mystery to me.
所以,基本上,如果这是有人第一次听这个播客,没错。
So basically, if anyone listening to this podcast for the first time, which Yeah.
这是一连串的推文,展示了我们对任何事情都一无所知,所以前景不妙。
Is a succession of tweets in which we show that we know nothing at all about anything, so not promising.
我认为我们应该直奔主题,回到你至少知道的事情上,也就是你如何撰写当代史。
I think that we should cut to the chase and go back to something that you, at any rate, do know about, which is how you write contemporary history.
是的,90年代。
Yeah, the '90s.
是的。
Yeah.
为了提醒一下,我们正在讨论90年代和托马斯·琼斯的这条推文。
So just to remind, we're talking about the '90s and this tweet from Thomas Jones.
历史老师说,五十年前的事才是历史。
The history teacher says that fifty years ago is history.
更近的就都是政治了。
Anything less is politics.
你是个骗子吗,多米尼克·桑德布鲁克?
Are you a fraud, Dominic Sandbrook?
嗯,我们在开场时谈过 blobby 先生。
Well, we talked about mister Blobby in the in the introduction.
所以 blobby 先生肯定不算政治。
So mister Blobby definitely isn't politics.
当你写最近的历史时,总会遇到这种情况。
You always get this when you're doing quite recent history.
人们会问,这真的是历史吗?
People say, is it really history?
我的意思是,当我开始撰写关于战后英国的系列作品,讨论五十年代时,人们就会说,哦,五十年代和六十年代。
I mean, I got this when I started my sort of series about postwar Britain writing about the fifties, and people would say, oh, the fifties and the sixties.
那怎么可能是历史呢?
How can that be history?
A.J.P. 泰勒写了一部关于两次世界大战之间的英国历史,他称之为英国史。
AJP Taylor wrote his history of Britain between the wars, which he called English history.
多棒的书名啊。
Great title.
所以他于1965年出版了这本书,内容一直写到第二次世界大战结束。
So he published that in 1965, and he was right going up to the end of the second world war.
所以你谈论的这本书,我想是《牛津英国史》系列中的一本吧。
So you're talking and that was in the Oxford history of England, I think.
所以这就形成了大约二十年的间隔。
So that's sort of twenty year gap.
二三十年,我认为这可能是常态。
And twenty to thirty years is, I would say, probably the norm.
这是人们开始回望的时刻。
It's the point at which people start looking back.
所以当利顿·斯特雷奇写下《维多利亚时代名人传》时,那是哪一年?
So when Lytton Straty wrote his eminent Victorians, what's that?
二十世纪二十年代?
Nineteen twenties?
所以,同样是在大约二三十年后,我认为你会获得一种更宏观的视角。
So, again, about twenty to thirty years after, I think you then get a bit of a sense of perspective.
大多数当事人已经退出了历史舞台。
Most of the actors have left the stage.
感觉就像昨天才发生的事,因此你会有一种回望而非身处其中的感觉。
It feels like the day before yesterday, and so you can there's a sense of looking back rather than looking around.
我不知道。
I don't know.
你觉得呢?
What do you think?
我的意思是,对你这样整天研究罗马史的人来说,这一切肯定都是胡说八道吧。
I mean, all this must be utter nonsense to you as somebody who runs through the Romans and stuff.
不。
No.
完全不是。
Not at all.
因为对罗马人和希腊人来说,只有亲身经历过他们所描述事件的人,才有资格成为历史学家。
Because to the to the Romans and to the Greeks, essentially, only people who had lived through the events that they were describing were qualified to be historians.
修昔底德就是这方面的经典例子,他曾是伯罗奔尼撒战争中的一名将军。
Thucydides is the classic example of that, that he was a general in the Peloponnesian War.
所以他觉得,正是这段经历让他有资格撰写这段历史。
So he felt that that was very much what qualified him to write about it.
基本上,如果你写的是自己没有亲历过的事情,那你就是个骗子。
And basically, if you were writing about anything that you hadn't lived through, you were a bit of a fraud.
那普鲁塔克之类的人呢?
So what about Plutarch or somebody?
他肯定是在写
Surely he's writing about
是啊,他并不太受重视。
Yeah, he's not really rated.
对。
Right.
好吧。
Okay.
我的意思是,他写的是传记之类的东西。
I mean, he's writing his biographies and things.
对希腊人和罗马人来说,前沿就是你所做的事情。
To be cutting edge, for the Greeks and the Romans was what you do.
那就是当代史。
It's contemporary history.
所以你确实是与修昔底德同时代的人。
So you are absolutely the coeval with Thucydides.
正如我一直以来所坚持的,是的。
As I've always maintained, yeah.
我注意到你的书都是从五十年代开始,一直写到1982年,最后是1982年,对吧?
Mean, what I've noticed with your books, you begin in the fifties, and you've gone right the way up to 1983 was the last 1982, really, isn't it?
是的。
Yeah.
1982年。
'82.
那是最后一本。
It's the last one.
你书中涵盖的时间跨度似乎越来越短。
Is is that the the the space of time that are covered in your books gets shorter and shorter.
是的,我知道。
Yeah, I know.
这太荒谬了。
It's ridiculous.
所以,你越接近现在,就越有东西可写。
So it's almost like the closer you get, the more there is to write about.
是这种感觉吗?
Is that the feeling?
是这样吗?
Is that how you
不是。
No.
我认为实际上,如果让我稍微自我批评一下,你越接近现在,就越难对什么是重要的形成一个宏观视角。
I think actually what it is is the closer you get there, if I can be sort of self flagellating for a moment, I think the closer you get, the the harder it is to get a perspective about what matters.
但同时,陷入那些读者能认出的细节中的诱惑也更大了。
But also the temptation becomes greater to just immerse yourself in in in detail that the reader will recognize.
所以,想象一下写一套关于维多利亚时代的类似书籍。
So, you know, imagine writing the same sort of books about the Victorian age.
我的意思是,其中大部分内容对读者来说都是毫无意义的。
I mean, most of it would just be meaningless to readers.
他们会说,这都是些琐碎而微不足道的废话。
They'd say this a lot this is a lot of sort of trivial and and insignificant fluff.
你知道的,比如音乐剧上演了什么,或者一些我们从未听说过的名人之间的大争论。
You know, what was on at the musicals, the big debate about some celebrities that we've never heard of.
我认为,对于非常近期的历史,你可以这么做,因为很多人都能理解这些梗。
I I think you can get away with that with with very recent history because so many people pick up on all the references.
就像我上一本书里写的,关于八十年代初的内容,那些诸如情景喜剧、板球比赛、足球流氓事件之类的引用。
You know, the sort of stuff in my last book, which is about the early eighties, the references to, you know, I don't know, sitcoms or to cricket matches or to, you know, football hooliganism outbreaks or whatever.
这些内容现在对读者来说有意义,但在二十五世纪就完全毫无意义了,没人会在意。
Those mean something to readers now in a way that they will be utterly meaningless in the twenty fifth century, and nobody will care.
对。
Right.
所以,读你最近那本关于第一个此类政府的书时,我觉得很有趣,因为我隐约记得1981年时政治的大致轮廓,那时我13岁。
So it's interesting for me, reading your most recent one, which is about the first such government, was that I vaguely remembered the broad outlines of the politics because I was 13 in 1981.
所以我开始看报纸和看电视新闻。
So I was starting to read newspapers and watch the news.
当时有整版内容报道神经学和热门歌曲,当然,我完全记得那些情景喜剧之类的东西,所以感觉非常鲜活。
You have whole sections on neuromantics and smash hits, so of course, absolutely, I remember all that and the sitcoms and stuff, so it was very fresh.
但如果我们回到我们本该讨论的主题——90年代。
But if we go back to the topic we're meant to be covering, the The '90s.
在描写这类题材时,一个必然的问题是,因为你亲身经历过,很容易误以为自己的经历具有普遍性,但事实并非如此,对吧?
One of the issues surely must be with covering like that is that because you've kind of lived through it, the temptation is to assume that your experiences are somehow universal or And they're not, are they?
你的感知似乎因为亲历而显得更优越,因此你觉得对这些事更有新鲜感。
And your perception somehow is privileged because you've lived through it, so therefore you feel fresher to it.
但某种程度上,这反而成了障碍。
But perhaps in a sense, it becomes an impediment.
我认为这完全是个障碍,汤姆。
I think it's a total impediment, actually, Tom.
我在谈论当代历史时经常注意到这一点:人们会说,‘其实我当时就在现场。’
I think I notice this all the time giving talks about contemporary history is that people will say, well, actually, I was there.
我知道七十年代并不全是灰暗的,它们其实很美好。
And I know that the seventies were not all grim, that they were wonderful.
然后观众里又会有另一个人插话说,我在七十年代为英国利兰公司工作,那简直糟透了。
And then there's somebody else in the audience who will then pipe up and say, I worked for British Leyland in the seventies, and it'd bloody awful.
他们其实并没有真正交流,只是各自挥舞着自己的个人经历,并假设那就是普遍常态。
They don't and, basically, they just have an argument where they're brandishing their own individual experience and and assuming that that's the norm.
我觉得这完全正确。
And I think that's exactly right.
我觉得九十年代很有趣,因为我觉得我们对九十年代的记忆不像对八十年代、六十年代或七十年代那样充满矛盾。
I think the nineties is an interesting one because I think that our memories of the nineties are not very conflicted as they are of the eighties or indeed the sixties and seventies.
因为那是一个经济稳定、经济繁荣的时期,冷战结束了,九十年代有一种整体的乐观氛围。
So because it was a time of, you know, economic stability, economic growth, because there was the Cold War had ended, there was a sort of feel good factor in the '90s.
所以,如果你问一百个人对九十年代的记忆,尤其是在英国,可能在美国也是如此,他们会讲述一个相对相似的故事,你觉得呢?
So I guess if you got 100 people and asked them their memories of the '90s, certainly in Britain and probably in America as well, they would tell a relatively similar story, don't you think?
我觉得我们对九十年代的意义并没有太多争论。
I think we don't argue about the meaning of the '90s.
我在90年代时二十多岁,那是一个二十多岁非常美好的时代,因为有很多令人愉快的事情可做。
So I was in my 20s during the '90s, and it was a great time to be in your 20s because there were lots of enjoyable things to do.
所以迷幻药、英伦流行乐以及所有这些事物在我的记忆中都占据着极其重要的位置,因此当我想到90年代时,我首先想到的就是这些。
So ecstasy and Britpop and everything has a massively salient place in my memories, and so therefore, when I think about the 90s, that tends to be what I think about.
你会想到60年代。
You think about the '60s.
那不是汤姆·霍兰德那种人。
That's not the Tom Holland people.
我想的是,如果你在90年代二十出头,那时有那么多有趣的事情可以做。
I think about all the fun things there were to do if you were in your early 20s in the '90s.
我就不多说了。
I will go no further.
但那确实很有趣。
But it was fun.
所以,如果我有一种对过去的通感体验,我会觉得80年代是有点灰暗、压抑和糟糕的。
So that's chiefly, if I had kind of synesthetic sense of the past, I think of the '80s as kind of slightly gray and grim and dire.
我觉得90年代就像一个巨大的笑脸图标,充满阳光和麦田圈,非常美好。
And I think of the '90s as a big smiley icon of sun and crop circles and just great.
但这准确吗?
But of course, is that accurate?
嗯,我想我们忘记了,在英国,90年代可以分为两个政府阶段,对吧?
Well, think we forget that certainly in Britain, the 1990s, can divide into the sort of there are two governments, aren't they?
一个是保守党政府,然后是布莱尔政府。
The major governments and then the Blair government.
保守党政府在其执政的大部分时间里都非常不受欢迎。
The major government was exceedingly unpopular for most of its tenure.
当时有一种腐败和无能的感觉等等。
There was a sense of sleaze and incompetence and whatnot.
我认为实际上,就像这类事情经常发生的那样,90年代被某个特定时刻所主导了。
And I think actually what's happened is the '90s, as these things as often happen, the nineties have been taken over by a particular moment.
我们对90年代的记忆被一个特定的时刻所染色,那就是1996年、1997年左右。
Our memory of the nineteen nineties is colored by a particular moment, which is sort of 1996, '97.
对很多人来说,推特上很有趣。
For lots of people, it's interesting in the tweets.
很多人提到1996年欧洲杯、托尼·布莱尔上台和酷不列颠尼亚。
A lot of people mention Euro ninety six or and the coming of Tony Blair and Cool Britannia.
这种印象逐渐取代了其他记忆,成为英国人对整个十年的定义。
And that has sort of seeked out and become the meaning of the whole decade, certainly in Britain.
我想现在人们开始回望过去了。
And I think now people are look look back.
我的意思是,有趣的是,人们对时代意义的记忆是如何变化的。
I mean, then it's interesting how memory how sort of meanings of periods sort of change.
因为现在人们谈论1990年代时,似乎有两种方式。
Because now when people talk about the 1990s, think there are two ways they talk about it.
一种是把它看作失落的黄金时代——在金融危机、新冠疫情和民粹主义、特朗普崛起之前;另一种则认为,正是从那时起一切开始走下坡路,我们变得自满和傲慢,埋下了所有未来灾难的种子。
One is lost golden age, pre crash, pre COVID, pre populism and Trump and blah, blah, Or they see it as that's the moment where everything went wrong, where we were complacent and hubristic, and we sowed the seeds of all these sort of disasters to come.
你不这么认为吗?
Don't you think?
我认为这就是人们看待它的两种方式
I think those are the two ways that people
我觉得有意思的是,十年从来不会完全对应确切的年份
I think I mean, I it's interesting because decades never exactly map onto the No.
对吧?
The precise numbers, do they?
不对
No.
那就是
That's
所以,如果你是英国人,八十年代始于1979年,并以撒切尔夫人下台告终
So so the eighties begin in 1979, if if you're British, begin in 1979 and and end with with the fall of Thatcher.
或者以冷战结束为终点
Or the end of the Cold War.
我的意思是,八十年代确实可以作为一个特定时期来看待
I mean, so the eighties do work as a as a moment.
我认为九十年代始于柏林墙的倒塌。
The the nineties, I think, begin with the fall of the cold of of the Berlin Wall.
是的。
Yeah.
所以是从1989年开始。
So begin in 1989.
我认为它们结束于2001年9月11日。
And I think that they end in on 09/11, 2001.
是的。
Yeah.
我同意这个说法。
I'd buy that.
我认为人们的记忆是,这是一个没有核战争阴影、也没有恐怖主义和反恐战争等种种困扰的时期。
And I think that the memory is that this is a period where you're not haunted by the shadow of nuclear war, and you're not haunted by the shadow of terrorism and wars on terror and all that kind of stuff.
因此,对我来说,回首那段时光,它是一段金色的青春岁月。
And so for me, I look back on it as a period of golden youth.
是的,但当然,这会被你自己的青春所染色,
Yes, but of course, that's then colored by your own youth,
不是吗?
isn't it?
绝对,绝对。
Absolutely, absolutely.
所以,如果我要写关于这个时期的内容,我想这会是个问题。
So then that would be a problem for me, I think, if I was trying to write about it.
因为我觉得这种感觉会完全影响它。
Because I think that that sense would completely color it.
但你最大的才华总是能捕捉到社会中与时代刻板印象相悖的反向趋势。
But your great talent is always to pick up on the countervailing trends within society that go against the stereotype of a decade or a period.
所以,对90年代持一种反主流的观点。
So be contrarian about the '90s.
那段时间很糟糕,不管怎样。
It was terrible, whatever.
如果你从全球视角来看20世纪90年代,很容易讲出一个极其黯淡的故事。
If you were gonna take a worldwide view of the nineteen nineties, you could easily tell an incredibly bleak story.
这是卢旺达的十年。
So it's the decade of Rwanda.
这是南斯拉夫解体的十年,我认为对我们这一代人来说,这是一个非常深刻且令人警醒的故事。
It's the decade of the death of Yugoslavia, which I think actually for people of our generation was a very salutary and sobering tale.
你看到一个欧洲国家自我撕裂。
So you had a European country tearing itself apart.
我的意思是,我们在这个系列的早期就做过一期关于内战的播客。
I mean, we did a podcast very early on in this series about civil wars.
对我来说,那始终是我想到的内战。
And that for me is always the civil war that I think of.
你知道,那是我小时候一直视为理所当然的国家。
You know, country that I had taken for granted as a child.
你知道,托瓦尔丁人在那里赢得过金牌,却在20世纪90年代分崩离析。
You know, Torvaldine had won their gold medal there, ripping itself apart in the nineteen nineties.
而且我认为,俄罗斯还有一场重大的地缘政治故事,而西方世界对它的关注远远不够。
And also, I think, massive geopolitical story in Russia, which we don't think about as much as we should in the West.
所以苏联解体,一个曾经的世界强国、世界体系的关键支柱,陷入了崩溃。
So the end of the Soviet Union and a country a a power, a really sort of a linchpin of the world system going into meltdown.
你知道吗,在90年代初,俄罗斯男性的预期寿命下降了近十年,经济完全崩溃。
You know, Russian men, their life expectancy dropped by the best part of ten years in the early years of the 1990s, an economy in complete meltdown.
因此,你可以讲出一个关于90年代相当黯淡的故事。
So you could tell quite a bleak story about the '90s.
而且你也可以回到傲慢这个话题,可以说,90年代最具代表性的著作之一,某种程度上是弗朗西斯·福山的《历史的终结》,这本书或许不公平地被解读为冷战胜利的狂喜宣言。
And you could also tell us I mean, going back to the hubris point, you could argue that the defining book of the '90s, in some ways, is Francis Fukuyama's The End of History, which perhaps unfairly has been seen as this sort of blast of Cold War triumphalism.
你知道,我们赢了,自由民主是未来的潮流,历史作为制度与意识形态的冲突将就此终结。
You know, we've won liberal democracies the wave of the future, the history as the clash of systems and as a clash of ideologies is going to come to a halt.
结束了。
It's over.
我的意思是,这其实严重曲解了他的观点。
I mean, that's to really bastardize his argument.
但这似乎捕捉到了九十年代的那种自满情绪。
But that seemed to capture some of the sort of complacency of the nineties.
你觉得呢
Do you
你认为九十年代是一个自满的时期吗?
think it's a complacent period, the nineties?
我以前谈过这个,但我记得1989年去巴黎参加法国大革命二百周年庆典。
Well, I've I've talked about this before, but I remember going to the to Paris for the bicentennial of the French Revolution in 1989, 1989.
当时有一场盛大的游行。
And there was this great kind of parade.
游行的开场片段中,中国持不同政见者骑着自行车穿过巴黎街头,高举紧握的拳头,背景正是天安门广场发生的事情。
And at the opening sequence of it were Chinese dissidents on bicycles cycling through the streets of Paris, making clenched fist signs against the backdrop of what had happened at Tiananmen Square.
现在回想起来,那可能是最重要的事件,让人意识到,真正重要的不是俄罗斯或美国发生的事,而是中国正在发生的一切。
And I guess looking back, that's probably the most significant event, the sense that actually far more important really than what's happening in Russia or indeed in America or anything is what's happening in China.
我当时并没有意识到这一点。
I wasn't really to that.
比伊斯兰世界与西方世界之间看似紧张的关系重要得多,而这种紧张关系在90年代也明显在酝酿。
Much more important than the seeming tensions between Islam and the Western world, which was also clearly brewing in the '90s.
本·拉登正是在那个时期开始浮出水面的。
Bin Laden is starting to surface around that time.
但真正重要的是中国,不是吗?
But really, it's China, isn't it?
我想,另一件我绝对记得开始发生的事是,我当时在牛津,我未来的妻子去斯坦福大学待了一年。
And I suppose the other thing, of course, that also I remember absolutely beginning, I was at Oxford, and my wife to be was away for a year at Stanford.
所以,巨大的痛苦,写信。
So deep trauma, writing letters.
搞笑的是,写信。
Hilarious, writing letters.
当时有个美国朋友有一张早期的地图,他跟我讲过一种叫电子邮件的东西。
And there was an American friend who had one of those early maps, and he told me about this thing called email.
我记得第一次用他的苹果电脑发了电子邮件。
And I remember sending my first email on his little Mac.
然后,在整个十年间,互联网逐渐变得更加连贯。
And then gradually, over the course of the decade, the Internet became more and more of a sequence.
所以,我们又有一位美国朋友来我们家小住。
So again, we had another American friend who stayed with us.
他是个非常聪明的人。
He was a brilliant guy.
我的意思是,一个典型的九十年代男子。
I mean, a quintessential nineties guy.
他曾效力于中央情报局。
He'd been in the CIA.
他来到牛津大学。
He'd come over to Oxford.
他获得了学位。
He'd done a degree.
他后来深度参与了麦田圈的制作。
He'd become very involved in making corn circles.
所以我和他一起做了我人生中唯一的一个麦田圈。
So I made my only corn circle with him.
那真是一段美好的经历。
That was a great thing.
总之,他住在我们家,并帮我们设置了第一个互联网连接。
Anyway, he was staying with us, and he helped us to set up our first internet connection.
我记得他第一次输入的词是‘啦啦队队员’。
And I remember the first thing that he typed in was cheerleader.
天啊。
Oh, god.
那是我们第一次搜索的内容,一切都那么具有九十年代的风格。
That was the very first thing that we ever looked up And that was all so kind of '90s.
但与此同时,我也记得自己当时读了很多威廉·吉布森的作品,还有类似的东西,那种事情的发展早已被预言了。
But against the bat, I also remember that a lot of my reading was in William Gibson and all that kind of stuff, and the way that what was happening had been prophesied.
是的,我觉得当时确实有一种强烈的技术变革感。
Yeah, there was a real sense, I think, of technological change.
那不是文化变革。
It wasn't a cultural change.
我的意思是,我基本上有完全相同的经历。
I mean, I have basically exactly the same story.
我有一个美国朋友,他是斯坦福大学的交换生,待了一年。他确实带了一台装在箱子里的电脑,这让我惊叹不已。
I had an American friend who was on a year's exchange from Stanford, And he did he had a computer in a box, which amazed me.
我可以——那是我见过的第一台笔记本电脑。
I can it was the first laptop I'd ever seen.
他打开这个设备,然后说,等我年底回斯坦福的时候,我们可以互相发消息。
He opened this device, and he said, when I go back to Stanford at the end of the year, we can send each other messages.
我说,那只是某种奇怪的变态行为。
And I said, that's that's just that's just some sort of obscure perversion.
我才不会去大学计算机房,独自坐在黑暗里打字发消息。
I'm not gonna go to the college computer room and sit on my own in the dark typing in messages.
你知道的,我可能每三年给你写一封信,如果你幸运的话。
You know, I'll write you a letter once every three years, maybe if you're lucky.
但这是一个非常特定的时刻,我想是1995到1997年间,人们从没有电子邮件地址转变为拥有电子邮件和互联网连接。
But it's and and it came very I think it was a very specific moment, let's say, '95 to '97, when people went from having no email address to being on email and having Internet connections.
当然,当人们撰写20世纪90年代的历史时,他们自然会关注冷战的结束。
And, obviously, that when people write the history of the nineteen nineties, obviously, they'll look at the end of the Cold War.
他们会关注中国的开放。
They'll look at the opening up of China.
他们会关注俄罗斯发生的事情,以及欧盟的发展。
They'll look at what happened in Russia, probably the development of the EU.
但我认为,所有这些事件相比之下都相形见绌,真正具有印刷术般重大意义的是数字经济和数字文化的兴起。
But I think actually dwarfing all those things is something as big as the printing press, which is the development of this digital economy and this digital culture.
前几天我不得不查看我的亚马逊账户,想找找我的第一笔购买记录。
I had to look the other day at my Amazon account to look for my first purchase.
那是在1999年。
So that was 1999.
我在1999年就通过亚马逊为家人购买了圣诞礼物。
I bought some of my Christmas presents for my family on Amazon in 1999.
我心想,天啊,从那以后我给了杰夫·贝佐斯多少钱?
And I thought, god, how much money have I given to Jeff Bezos since then?
当然,这是一个九十年代的故事,其影响是无法估量的,远比任何英国大选结果或其他类似事件都要深远。
And, obviously, that's that's a nineteen nineties story that has had incalculable you know, far greater effect than any British general election result or or anything of that kind.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
Yes.
所以,从某种意义上说,你认为将九十年代视为八十年代的沉闷与2001年之后一切沉闷之间的分水岭,其实是一种错觉。
And so in a sense, actually, the idea of the nineties as a kind of firebreak between the grimness of the eighties and then the grimness of everything that follows on from 2001 is illusory then, you would argue.
它实际上是二十一世纪许多变革的温床。
It's actually the seedbed for a lot of the changes that have happened in the twenty first.
事实上,你能说二十一世纪有什么真正改变的东西,是九十年代没有隐含的吗?
And in fact, could say, has anything really changed in the twenty first century that wasn't implicit in the 1990s?
确实如此。
That's true.
这么说很到位。
That's a good way of putting it.
我想你可以说,在某些方面,接下来的二十年不过是早已开始的力量的延续。
I think you could argue in some ways, couldn't you, that the following two decades were the playing out of forces that were already underway.
我的意思是,如果你回到20世纪90年代中期,会发现英国政治被关于欧洲的争论所主导。
I mean, you went back to the mid 1990s, you'd find British politics dominated by arguments about Europe.
你知道,美国人当时在争论总统弹劾和文化战争。
You know, Americans were arguing about impeachment of a president and culture war.
我的意思是,文化战争这个概念是80年代末90年代初美国的现象,是对政治辉煌的反扑,是共和党对克林顿的憎恨以及关于克林顿的阴谋论。
I mean, culture the idea of culture wars is a late '80s, early '90s American thing, the backlash against political greatness, sort of the Republicans' hatred of Bill Clinton and conspiracy theories about Bill Clinton.
我的意思是,那些事情与当下发生的一切有着真实的共鸣。
I mean, all those things feel like there's a there's a real resonance between what was happening then and what's happening now.
当然,还有俄罗斯、普京、中国崛起、伊斯兰与西方的对立。
And obviously, Russia, Putin, China, rising, Islam, and the West.
我的意思是,所有这些在当时都已初现端倪。
I mean, all those things are there in embryo, really.
对。
Right.
当然,九十年代发生的一件著名事情就是欧石楠和模糊乐队谁将成为第一的激烈竞争。
One one thing, of course, that's that famously happens in in the nineties is this, huge issue around who's gonna become number one, Oasis or Blur.
这确实变得重要了。
And this is what this is That's getting important.
这变得很重要了。
That's getting important stuff.
但我要说的是,多米尼克·桑布鲁克在这里。
But but you but I but playing Dominic Sandbrook here
是的。
Yes.
这实际上相当重要,不是吗?
It is actually quite significant, isn't it?
因为这是一个围绕排行榜展开的全国性时刻。
Because it's a national moment that revolves around the charts.
展开剩余字幕(还有 350 条)
最后一个。
The last one.
排行榜。
The charts.
最后一个,没错。
Last, yeah.
这是最后一个,因为从那时起,排行榜、音乐流媒体等一切都变得极度碎片化,以至于关于哪个乐队会登顶榜首的全国性时刻变得难以想象。
It's the last one because from that point on, the charts and the streaming of music and everything, it all becomes so fragmented that the idea of a national moment around, you know, which band is gonna be number one becomes inconceivable.
所以,从某种意义上说,九十年代不仅是一个开端。
So in a sense, the nineties is not just a a beginning.
它也是那种独特文化的终结,这种文化自何时起存在?
It's also an end for that kind of distinctive culture that had existed since what?
1955年左右?
'19 death of
1955年左右?
'55 or something?
是的。
Yeah.
集体国家文化的消亡。
The the death of the death of a collective national culture.
这是一个故事,不仅限于英国,你在世界各地的社会中都能看到这个故事在上演,不是吗?
And that's a story, not just a British story, but you see that story playing out in in in societies all over the world, don't you?
所以,那场Oasis和Blur的对决,实际上是有意识地重现披头士与滚石乐队的对抗,对吧?
So that oasis blurb battle, which is actually a self conscious attempt to replay the Beatles versus the Rolling Stones, isn't it?
我的意思是,它非常
I mean, it's So it's very is
本身非常后现代。
in itself very postmodern.
它本身就是。
It is itself.
是的。
Yeah.
绝对是的。
Absolutely.
这完全是自觉的,而且存在层层叠叠的讽刺和自我认知。
The It's completely self conscious, and there's a sort of there are levels upon levels of kind of irony and self knowledge.
但现在感觉这不可能发生在2005年,因为到那时,排行榜已经失去了全国性的重要地位。
But it does feel now like that couldn't have happened in 2005 because by that point, the charts had already fallen from, you know, from national prominence.
它不再是故事的一部分了。
It was no longer part of the story.
我认为另一个时刻,对英国听众来说是一个共同的国家时刻,每个人都会记得的,就是戴安娜王妃的去世。
The other moment, I think, which is a shared national moment for British listeners, which everyone will remember, is the death of Princess Diana.
但也许我们应该先休息一下,然后再讨论这个话题。
But maybe we should take a break first and then get into that.
你知道,这是一个非常大的话题。
You know, it's such a big topic.
是的。
Yes.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
广告后我们回来,继续谈谈戴安娜之死。
We'll come back after the break, and we will talk death of Diana.
欢迎回到《历史其余部分》,提醒大家,目前在封锁期间我们正在双倍强度更新,每周两期节目。
Welcome back to The Rest is History, and a reminder that we're operating on double shifts at the moment during lockdown, so two episodes a week.
周四,我和汤姆将邀请霍莉·鲁宾霍尔德,来聊聊18和19世纪的性话题。
And on Thursday, we have offering as Tom and I are joined by Hallie Rubinhold to talk about sex in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
这一期绝对不适合在工作场合听,至少我希望如此。
Very not safe for work, that one, at least I hope.
现在汤姆已经擦干了眼镜上的蒸汽,我们可以继续回到九十年代了。
Now that Tom's wiped his the steam from his glasses, we can get back to the nineteen nineties.
所以,汤姆,我们刚才正要谈戴安娜之死。
So, Tom, we were going to talk about the death of Diana.
你还记得你自己的死亡吗?
Do you remember the death of you?
这是一类让你记得自己当时身处何地、正在做什么的时刻,对吧?
It's one of those moments, isn't it, where you remember where you were and what you were doing.
我记得。
I do.
我记得很清楚,因为那时我们正在搬家。
I remember it very well because we were moving house.
是的。
Right.
我们想放点欢快的音乐,好在搬椅子之类的东西时提提精神。
And we wanted some kind of cheery music to, you know, pepper us up as we were shoveling chairs and things.
《风中之烛》。
Candle in the wind.
全是沉闷的葬礼音乐。
Just wall to wall somber funerary music.
是的。
Yeah.
所以整件事非常奇特。
So the whole thing was, very peculiar.
你觉得这种事,我的意思是,像布洛·奥茨这样的时刻是大家共同经历的吗?
And do you think the kind of thing that would I mean, again, like the the Blow Oates is a shared moment.
我想大概是的,对吧?
I suppose it probably would, wouldn't it, actually?
但那会是以某种方式形成一些共享体验的泡泡,
But it would be kind of bubbles of shared experience in a way that
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,想象一下推文,还有那些‘是的’。
I mean, imagine the tweets and imagine the Yes.
我的意思是,达娜的去世也是一种令人释然的时刻。
I mean, I think the death of Dana is such a it's also a sort of relief of maficing kind of moment.
我的意思是,英国特别擅长这种狄更斯式的感情宣泄,对吧?
I mean, British Britain specializes in these sort of outpourings of Dickensian sentimentality, doesn't it?
我的意思是
I mean
那你有没有做过现在觉得尴尬的事情?
So did you do did you do anything that you now feel embarrassed about?
你知道吗?
Do you know what?
我其实当时在保加利亚。
I was actually I was in Bulgaria.
我正在保加利亚背包旅行,我们青年旅舍里一个男人告诉我们,斯纳王子去世了。
I was backpacking in Bulgaria, and a man at our youth hostel told us that Prince Stanner died.
我们在电视上看了这个消息。
We watched it on TV.
然后,一件不可思议的事情是,我们当时在巴尔干山脉的一个小村庄里。
And then extraordinary thing, we were in this tiny village in the in the Balkan Mountains.
村子里的人们都从家里搬出了木椅,聚集在广场中央,围在一台破旧的共产主义时代电视机前。
And people in the village all got out these wooden chairs from their from their houses, and they all gathered in the center in this square in front of this battered old kind of communist era telly.
他们都在电视机上看东西。
And they were all watching something on the telly.
我们当时是背包旅行,你知道的,那是互联网出现之前。
And we were backpacking, so we didn't you know, this is pre Internet.
他们正在观看葬礼。
And they were watching the funeral.
他们看着伊尔顿·约翰、乔治·凯里、约翰·梅杰和托尼·布莱尔,用英语进行悼念。
They were watching Elton John and George Carey and John Major and Tony Blair in English.
这简直太奇怪了。
And they were it was absolutely bizarre.
我当时就想,他们到底为什么要关心这些?
And I remember thinking at the time, why who do do they really care?
但他们确实关心。
And they did.
所以这是一场国际事件。
So it was an international event.
哦,这明显发生在保加利亚的山区。
Oh, it clearly was in the mountains of Bulgaria.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我认为确实如此。
So I think it was, actually.
我想,现在还会发生这样的事吗?
I think, obviously, would that happen now?
英国王室现在还会有这种影响力吗?我的意思是,可能还是有,因为有王冠在。
Would does British does the British royalty have this I mean, probably it does because of the crown.
是的。
Yeah.
也许吧。
Maybe.
也许吧。
Maybe.
嗯,说到人们真的围在电视机前这件事,P的评论是不是有点怀旧啊?
Well, I mean, on the topic of people actually gathering around television, I mean, how retro is that, a comment from P.
奥康奈尔说,我现在回望自己90年代的生活,觉得如果有智能手机,一切都会完全不同。
O'Connell, I look back now to my own life in the '90s, he says, and I think it would have been entirely different with access to a smartphone.
这其实延续了我们刚才讨论的主题:技术或许是推动变革最强大的力量。
So that follows up really what we're talking about, that technology perhaps is the greatest agent of transformation of anything.
是啊,大概就是消除了距离吧。
Yes, mean, the elimination of distance, I suppose.
比如伦敦,这又是一种非常以英国为中心的思维方式,也许吧。
London, for example, again, this is a very sort of Anglo centric way to to think of it maybe.
但在90年代初,伦敦和今天相比简直是座完全不同的城市,那时多元文化程度低得多,国际性也弱得多,我觉得。
But London, in the early nineteen nineties, feels like a very different city from what it is today, much less multicultural, much less international, I would say.
我认为,像技术、国际旅行,以及那种流动感和可能性的感觉,如今比90年代要强烈得多。
And I think things like technology and international travel and the sort of sense of just the sense of flux and the sense of the of possibility is so much greater now than it was than it was in the nineties.
我不知道。
I didn't I don't know.
我不是伦敦人。
I wasn't from London.
我记得去伦敦的时候,还得拿地图,做这一堆事情。
And I I remember the even going to London, you know, having to get a map and all this kind of carry on.
那种把整个世界装进口袋、体现在智能手机里的感觉,当时根本不存在。
That sort of sense of having the world in your pocket embodied in your smartphone was utterly absent.
我想大概是去年或者前年,有一个关于杰里米·戴勒这位伟大艺术家的节目,对吧。
I think it was last maybe last last year, the year before, and it was a program about Jeremy Deller, the great artist Yeah.
节目展示了关于狂欢文化以及在英格兰各地巡游的车队的一系列影片,然后给伦敦的一群学生观看,结果他们都完全看不懂。
Taking a series of films about kind of rave culture and about the convoys going around England, and showing it to a class of schoolchildren in London, and all of them watching it in in absolute incomprehension.
对他们来说,那是一个完全陌生的世界。
It was a completely alien world to them.
是的。
Yeah.
部分原因是戴拉所展示的影片中的人物都是白人,而伦敦教室里的学生却并非如此。
Partly because everybody in the films that Della was showing were white, whereas that wasn't the case in the classroom in London.
这大概反映了自90年代以来发生的 demographic 变化。
That was a kind of indication of the demographic change, I guess, that has happened since the '90s.
这是所发生事情的另一个方面。
That is another aspect of what's happened.
说到这一点,MacMathymaether,我不太清楚该怎么发音。
On which point, MacMathymaether I don't know how you pronounce that.
我向他或她道歉。
I apologize to him or her.
为什么现在与1990年之间的文化差距,感觉不如1960年到1990年那么大?
Why does the cultural gap between now and 1990 not feel as great as that of 1960 to 1990?
是冷战的原因吗?还是仅仅因为我这个90年代出生的人?
Is it the Cold War, is it just me, the author born in the nineties?
我的意思是,这确实是一个非常有趣的观点。
I mean, I think that is an interesting really interesting point.
你会不会把它推到1991年,甚至1997年?
And you would push it kind of to the '19 maybe even '97 with perhaps?
我是说,文化差距,我想。
I mean, the cultural gap, I suppose.
我的意思是,现在和1990年代之间真的有文化差距吗?
I mean, does it feel like there's a cultural gap between now and the 1990s?
并没有巨大的文化差距,对吧?
Not a massive cultural gap, is there?
我是说,鲍里斯,你说得对。
I mean, Boris, you're right.
或者麦克,或者他或她完全正确,1960年到1990年的差距感觉极其巨大。
Or Mac or he or she is absolutely right that the gap between 1960 and 1990 feels colossal.
我想当时这种差距也感觉极其巨大,对吧?
And I guess it felt colossal at the time, didn't it?
这简直彻底推翻了我整套书籍的核心论点,即六七十年代根本没发生任何变化。
Which sort of just just explodes the entire thesis of my series of books, which is that nothing changed in the sixties and seventies.
但当然,是发生了变化的。
But of course, did.
我想确实有些变化,尤其是在七十年代和八十年代,社会变革加速了。
I guess something did change, particularly in the, I think, seventies and eighties as social change accelerated.
但你说得对。
But you're right.
我的意思是,你看,性手枪乐队离乔治·福姆比比离我们更近,之类的。
I mean, we are you can do all these sort of we are you know, the Sex Pistols are closer to George Formby than they are to us or something.
你可以用各种小细节来展示,某些历史时期彼此之间比你想象的更近或更远。
You can do all these sort of little little quirks to show how periods and some periods in history are close together or further apart than you think.
九十年代在某种程度上感觉离我们很近,而它对五十年代或六十年代的人来说却并不那么近。
And the nineteen nineties do feel quite close to us in a way that they didn't feel close to the fifties or to the or to the sixties.
我的意思是,我认为1990年前后世界发生的两大巨变是技术变革和冷战结束。
I mean, I suppose the two massive, massive changes between 1990 and and so so the world before 1990 and the world after 1990 is the technological one and the end of the Cold War.
冷战的结束彻底重塑了地缘政治格局。
So the end of the Cold War completely recalibrates the geopolitical circumstances.
它彻底改变了人们理解世界运行方式的方式。
It transfigures the way in which people understand how the world relates.
它为中国的崛起打开了大门。
It opens the door for the rise of China.
它影响了欧洲联盟的演变。
It affects the evolution of the European Union.
它使美国成为一种超级大国,随后又急剧衰落。
It changes America becomes a kind of hyperpower and then kind of plummets.
所有这些变化都隐含在其中,但它们明显源于冷战的崩溃。
So all these kind of changes are implicit in that, but they're recognizably bred of the the the kind of the collapse of the of the Cold War.
不过,汤姆,那是一个非常异常的时刻。
Although that's a very anomalous moment, Tom.
我认为冷战的结束是一个非常异常的时刻,因为我们现在所处的世界,地缘政治上可能更接近1990年之前的状况,而不是你所说的那样——现在又回到了两个大国并立的局面。
I think that's a very anomalous moment, the collapse of the Cold War, because actually, net the world we're in now is probably more similar to the pre 1990 world geopolitically than to the so you've got two powers now.
美国不再是超级大国。
America is no longer a hyperpower.
但它们已经改变了。
But they've changed.
是的,它们已经改变了。
Yeah, they've changed.
中国已经超越了俄罗斯。
China has eclipsed Russia.
我的意思是,俄罗斯
I mean, but Russia
因此对欧洲人来说,我们不再居于中心地位。
And so for Europeans, we're no longer central.
在冷战期间,我们是战场。
In the Cold War, we were the battleground.
我的意思是,那并不是一个很愉快的位置,但我们很重要。
I mean, it wasn't a very pleasant position to be, but we mattered.
而如今,是美国和中国,欧洲则有点边缘化了。
Whereas now, it's America and China, and Europe's a bit of a backwater.
所以这是一种令人清醒的变化。
So that is a kind of sobering change.
是的,尽管欧洲过去可能确实很重要,但正如你所说,它曾是战场。
Yes, although Europe probably mattered well, it was, as you say, a battleground.
我的意思是,我们是其他势力交战的战场,而不是一个拥有自身强大主动性的地区。
I mean, we're a battleground over which others fought rather than one with a great deal of agency in ourselves.
我的意思是,这就是为什么人们最初想建立欧盟的原因——他们觉得英国和欧洲已经变得不再重要,他们不希望欧洲仅仅成为一个超级大国相互争斗的被动舞台。
I mean, that's one reason why people wanted to set up the European Union in the first place was they felt that Britain that Europe had become Europe was they didn't want to just be this sort of passive arena over which rival superpowers fought.
但我想,如今欧洲的地位正是如此,一个略显被动的舞台。
But that's kind of Europe's position now, I think, as a sort of slightly passive arena.
我的意思是,欧洲现在并不一定比上世纪50年代和60年代更弱,因为我认为那时它实际上也并不特别强大。
I mean, Europe is not necessarily weaker now than it was in the '50s and '60s because I don't think it was actually particularly strong back then.
总之。
Anyway.
总之,好吧,随便吧。
Anyway, well, whatever.
然后是技术,我们已经讨论过了。
And then technology, which we've already discussed on.
但这确实是一个巨大的变化。
But that really is a kind of huge change.
是的。
Yeah.
尼古拉斯·罗杰斯说,90年代是不是一个感觉一切都恰到好处的时期?
Nicholas Rogers says, was the 90s a time when things felt just right?
技术令人兴奋而非枯燥的日常,充满原创性与文化,政治理性,冷战结束。
Technology exciting rather than ubiquitous grind, loads of originality and culture, sensible politics, end of the Cold War.
我们已经隐约提到过这一点。
We've sort of alluded to this.
我的意思是,你可以讲述这个故事,并说:是的,技术当时非常令人兴奋。
I mean, you can tell that story and say, yes, technology was terribly exciting.
是的,一切都感觉美好而光明。
Yes, everything felt right and rosy.
但你同样可以讲这个故事,说实际上,未来问题的种子早在1990年代就已经埋下,你不能说某个时期是事情出错的起点,是我们搞砸了的时候吗?
But you can equally tell that story and say, actually, it's not the seeds of future problems were sowed in the 1990s, and you couldn't have you know, there's sometimes people say of a particular period, well, is that when things went wrong, when we got things wrong?
但认为我们能够做对并解决问题,这是一种幻觉。
But the idea that we could get things right and fix it is an illusion.
事情本来就会出错,因为这就是历史的本质。
Things were always going to go wrong because that's the nature of history.
那么,具体是哪个话题呢?
Well, on which topic again?
来自威廉·里奇的问题。
Question from William Ritchie.
将布莱尔和1997年视为英国二十世纪的终结——世袭贵族的废除、香港回归、权力下放、《贝尔法斯特协议》的签署——是否合理?还是说这只是掩盖了表面的裂痕?
Is it reasonable to see Blair and 'ninety seven as the resolution of The UK's twentieth century, the end of hereditary peers, Hong Kong return, devolution, Good Friday Agreement, or was it papering over the cracks?
掩盖裂痕。
Papering over the cracks.
我不太认同‘掩盖裂痕’这种说法,因为这个问题的潜台词是,当时已经存在深层次的问题,只是后来才显现出来。
I I wouldn't go with papering over the cracks because I think that's sort of that the implication of that question is there are deep problems that then became apparent.
但我的意思是,所有社会都有问题。
But I mean, all societies have problems.
这就是社会的本质。
That's the nature of being a society.
我认为布莱尔政府确实能够解决一些问题,部分原因是许多繁重的工作在我看来已经提前完成了。
I think clearly the Blair government was able to resolve things, partly because a lot of the heavy lifting, I would argue, had been done already.
许多经济上的争端似乎已经解决,因此他们可以把精力投入到北爱尔兰问题和其他事务上。
And a lot of economic battles seemed to be settled so they could then put their energies into Northern Ireland and all this stuff.
但他们只是在掩盖裂缝吗?
But were they papering over the cracks?
我不认为英国实际上比其他国家有更多的裂缝。
I I don't believe The UK is actually more cracked than other nations.
你觉得呢,汤姆?
Do you, Tom?
嗯,我非常喜欢布莱尔。
Well, I loved Blair.
这真是一个很好的坦白。
That's a great admission.
我知道。
I know.
他当选时我特别高兴,我确信当时有一种感觉,认为政治没什么好担心的,一切都会顺利,于是我干脆把政治的挡位挂到空挡,随波逐流,去想别的事情。
I was so happy when he was elected, and I'm sure there was a kind of feeling that politics wasn't something to worry about and everything was going to And I just kind of put my political gearstick into neutral and coasted along and thought about other things.
但当然,各种问题正悄悄从草丛中冒出来。
But of course, all kinds of things were creeping up through the undergrowth.
这难道不是吗
Isn't it
不过,汤姆,布莱尔确实很有趣,你知道吗,他2007年离任时,人们在下议院为他鼓掌欢送。
an interesting thing with Blair though, Tom, that you know, he he left office in 2007, and people applauded him out of the House of Commons.
他获得了来自议会两党的起立鼓掌。
He had a standing ovation from both sides of the house.
我至今仍能看见戴维·卡梅伦鼓励他的保守党议员们起立为布莱尔鼓掌。
I can still see David Cameron kind of encouraging all his Tory MPs to stand and applaud Blair.
布莱尔离职时正处于权力巅峰。
Blair left at the height of his powers.
而现在,布莱尔却很难在公众场合露面,因为人们会对他大喊大叫。
And now it is Blair who sort of struggles to show his face in public because people will shout at him.
而他的前任约翰·梅杰,尽管曾被广泛嘲笑,但人们在街上看到他时,会说:‘哦,是约翰·梅杰。’
Whereas John Major, his much lampooned predecessor, if people see John Major in the street, they say, oh, it's John Major.
很高兴见到他。
Nice to see him.
他也没那么糟。
He wasn't so bad.
你知道吗?
You know?
命运如此逆转,难道不令人惊讶吗?
Isn't that extraordinary, the reversal in fortunes?
但人们从来就不讨厌梅杰,对吧?
Except people never hated Major, did they?
没有。
No.
他们确实没有。
They didn't.
从来就没有那种分裂的感觉。
There was never there there was the sense of division.
你从来没有那种感觉。
You've never had that.
没有。
No.
我的意思是,人们只是对他有点轻蔑。
I mean, people kind of mildly contemptuous of him.
他就是那种把衬衫塞进内裤里,还有热线电话之类的事情。
He was, you got the shirt into his underpants and cone hotlines and things.
是的。
Yeah.
但没人恨他。
But but nobody hated him.
没有。
No.
一点也不。
Not at all.
实际上,对他来说,一个很好的事情是,随着托尼·布莱尔持续活跃在公众视野中,约翰·梅杰的声望反而上升了。
And and, actually, the great thing for him is that the more that Tony Blair has sort of remained in the public eye, the more John Major's stock has risen.
所以,这就像被绑在一起了,是的。
So this that that's sort of yoked Yeah.
我,托尼,我感觉就像奥德修斯在听塞壬的歌声。
I I I, Tony, I feel like kind of Odysseus listening to the sirens.
我知道这不好,但每当我听到托尼·布莱尔,我总是会想,对,他说得对。
I I know it's bad, but whenever I hear Tony Blair, I always go, yeah, he's so right.
是的。
Yes.
当然。
Absolutely.
你得把自己绑在桅杆上。
You need to be chained to the mast.
斯图尔特·E。
Stuart E.
穆克,这名字真棒。
Mook, great name.
是的。
Yeah.
九十年代的毒品文化对今天产生了什么影响?
What effect has the nineties drug culture had on today?
多米尼克,我知道你总是说毒品文化对任何事情都没有影响。
Now, Dominic, I know you're a great one for saying that that drug culture has had no effect on anything.
我认为九十年代人们对毒品的态度略有不同,不是吗?
Well, I think people had a different slightly different attitude to drugs in the nineties, didn't they?
在九十年代,我认为,对于我们这一代人来说,毒品纯粹是娱乐性的、很酷,甚至几乎无害。
There was still the nineties The '90s, I would say, felt a little bit like a certainly among people of our generation, that drugs were purely recreational, cool, almost harmless, actually.
我想,二十多岁的人普遍都有这种假设。
That was the sort of assumption, I think, among people in their twenties.
而且当时人们谈论毒品时不像现在这样充满忧虑。我觉得,把那时的情况和现在的数据做个对比会很有趣,看看毒品的流行程度以及毒品使用的阶级基础发生了怎样的变化。
And I don't think people talked about drugs with with the I mean, now people talk about drugs with much greater, I would say, foreboding than they though it'd be interesting to compare that then with the stats and to see how popular they are and also how the class base has changed with drugs.
我的意思是,
I mean,
我觉得,突然之间,足球流氓们彼此拥抱,这在哈西亚nda舞厅里发生的一切,作为一种民间传说,其地位堪比1967年。
I think the way in which suddenly you had football hooligans hugging each other Yeah.
作为一种传说,它至今仍可能产生影响。
On the floor of the Hacienda and all that kind of thing, as a kind of folk myth, it's up there with the 1967.
是的。
Yeah.
作为一种传说,它或许仍在持续产生影响。
That it it as a myth, perhaps, it continues to have an impact, I think.
因为我觉得整个迷幻药文化的理念,就是我们都能够彼此相爱。
Because I think the whole idea of the ecstasy culture, you know, we can all just love one another.
很多人确实体验过这种感觉,即使那是化学诱导的,但确实你所需要的只是爱。
And so many people did experience that, even if it was kind of chemically induced, that actually all you need is love.
我认为我们这一代人仍然带着那种印记。
And I think that people of our generation are are still bear the stamp of that, I think.
我觉得有一种微妙的想法,为什么我们不能彼此相爱、成为朋友呢?
I think that there is a kind of slight, oh, why can't we all just love each other and be friends?
但这种想法讽刺地催生了各种恶毒和道德上的优越感。
That ironically breeds all kinds of vituperation and and kind of moral righteousness.
但我觉得,‘要善良’这个说法,当你在推特评论区看到它时,其实总是令人恐惧和威胁的。
But I think but I think the the you know, be kind is I mean, it's always a terrifying, menacing kind of thing when, know, you see it on a Twitter thread or something.
人们为什么就不能只是
Why can't people When just be
人们说这句话时,通常是以最恶毒的方式表达的。
people say that, they they mean it in the most they mean it in the most vitriolic way, usually.
是的。
Yes.
但我认为,那种善良、爱、每个人都互相拥抱而不互相伤害的理想,作为一种神话,确实具有持久的共鸣。
But but but I think the the kind of the ideal of, you know, of kindness, of love, of everyone just hugging each other and and not kind of kicking each other in or whatever is as a myth, it does kind of have a a kind of enduring resonance.
也许没有。
Maybe not.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我会,我会
I'll I'll
把这留给你。
leave you that.
他在学校里提到过一种叫做善良研究的东西,这当然是对的。
Something in school that he refers to as kindness studies, and it's surely Right.
我会的。
I will.
而且,这迟早会成为一个学位。
Well And it's surely only a matter of time before that becomes a degree.
总之
Anyway
这完全是狂欢文化的影响。
That's that's all the influence of of rave culture.
好的。
Okay.
这是尼古拉斯提出的一个很好的问题。
This is a great question from Nicholas.
同样,我希望我念对了这个名字。
Again, I hope I've pronounced this right.
胡安,胡安,胡安。
Juan Juan Juan.
九十年代是不是银幕上,甚至或许在银幕之外,最后一批不加批判的美国主义盛行的十年?
Were the nineteen nineties the last decade of uncritical Americanism on screen and indeed perhaps beyond screen?
像《独立日》、《爱国者》、《末日浩劫》,甚至《拯救大兵瑞恩》这样的电影,如今看来,它们展现美国的方式简直难以想象。
Films like Independence Day, Patriot, Armageddon, or even Saving Private Ryan seem unthinkable in the way they picture The US nowadays.
我完全同意你的观点,特什。
I totally agree with that, Tesh.
这是一个非常棒的观察。
That's a really good observation.
我觉得,嗯,这是对的。
Do you I I think that is true.
我认为曾经有一个美国,它当然也有问题,但显然,好莱坞传递出一种感觉,仿佛他们几乎在冷战中取得了胜利。
I think there was a America, you know, had its issues, but it it clearly, there was a sense that Hollywood projected that they had, in a verdict, almost won the Cold War.
一直都是以这种方式呈现的。
It was always presented that way.
它并没有被表现为戈尔巴乔夫的改革出了问题,以及苏联的解体。
It wasn't presented as a as a matter of kind of Gorbachev's reforms going wrong and the Soviet Union falling apart.
而且当时存在着一种相当不加批判的氛围。
And there was this quite uncritical sense.
我在美国的电影院看过《拯救大兵瑞恩》,还记得那个场景。
I I saw Saving Private Ryan in a cinema in America, and I can remember the scene.
有一刻,他们升起了一面巨大的美国国旗,镜头对准了这面国旗。
They've got a colossal American flag flying at one point, the shot is of this American flag.
当时影院里周围的人都在哭泣,而我只是坐在那里。
And, I mean, there were people sobbing in the auditorium around me, and I just sat there.
我这辈子从未觉得自己这么英国人。
I've never felt so British in my life.
我只是想笑,说实话,我当时只想离开电影院。
Just this I just wanted to glee I just wanted to leave the cinema, to be honest.
我这个人就是这么刻薄、讨厌。
I'm just so churlish and nasty as a person.
而且,它不是著名地展现了英国的战争努力吗?
Well, and famously featured the British war effort, didn't it?
是的。
Yeah.
当然了。
Well, of course.
我想是的。
I I think yes.
我认为,过去几年里,美国作为这种理想化模式的崩溃,其实是一个非常有趣的故事。
And I think that's actually a really interesting story the last few years is the collapse of America as this sort of idealistic model.
在他们自己眼中,也在我们眼中,美国政客们常常夸耀自己在世界上其他地方被嘲笑,被视为需要避免的榜样。
In their own minds, actually, as well in ours, you see American politicians breast beating about the fact that they're being mocked elsewhere in the world or they're being seen as a model of what to avoid.
我想在20世纪90年代,这简直是不可想象的。
And I think that would have been unthinkable back in the 1990s.
有意思的是,我们俩都在谈论自己如何与互联网产生联系。
Well, I mean, it's interesting that both of us talking about remembering how we got connected to the internet.
我们俩都与斯坦福大学有联系。
Both of us have a link to Stanford.
我们俩都有美国朋友帮助我们搭建了网络。
Both of us had American friends who helped to set it up.
我的意思是,我们当时感觉自己像是原始人。
I mean, essentially, we felt like kind of primitives.
绝对如此。
Absolutely.
美国代表着未来。
America was the future.
而如今,当你经常去美国时,尤其是在基础设施甚至手机等设备方面,感觉似乎……
Whereas now, think, when you go to America often, certainly in terms of its infrastructure and even in terms of its kind of, you know, the phones and things, it seems
是的。
Yeah.
我完全同意,汤姆。
I completely agree, Tom.
我完全同意。
I totally agree.
我想我第一次去美国是在九十年代,当时被它的现代化程度深深震撼了。
I think that's a bit I first went to America in the nineties and was struck by the modernity of it.
我的意思是,他们有一些我们没有的东西。
I mean, they had things that we didn't have.
而且甚至是一些微不足道的小事,却有着某种象征意义。
And I also even just tiny piffling little things that were somehow symbolic.
我记得我去的时候,他们正在放映一些我看过但欧洲还没上映的电影,而我甚至都没听说过。
So I can remember going and they're having films that I had that had not come out in Europe, but I'd never even heard of.
你知道,因为他们的电影排片总是比我们领先。
You know, their because their their film schedule was always ahead of ours.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
然后回到家里,跟别人说,哦,有一部新的阿诺·施瓦辛格电影之类的。
And then going back home and saying to people, oh, there's a new Arnold Schwarzenegger film or whatever.
你肯定没听说过,但我已经在美洲看过了。
You won't have heard of it, but I've seen it in America.
那种他们在技术和文化上真正领先的感觉已经消失了,对吧?
And that sense of them literally being ahead technologically, culturally, that has gone, hasn't it?
互联网摧毁了这种优势,但同时也有一种感觉,即美国在1989年、1990年后未能继续前进。
The Internet has destroyed that, but also there's a sense that America has failed to kick on after 1989, 1990.
另外,我认为九十年代我最喜爱的剧集是《X档案》,我特别喜欢它,因为它有一种令人着迷的偏执感。
Also, I I think my favorite series of the nineties was The X Files, which I I loved because it was it was kind of engagingly paranoid.
你可以观看并享受它,明明知道它纯属胡扯,但又隐约暗示着也许罗兹威尔真有外星人之类的事情。
You could watch it and enjoy it, it was clearly nonsense, but the vague hint that perhaps there were aliens in Roswell or whatever.
而如今,所有这些都变得完全可怕了。
Whereas now, all of that has become completely terrifying.
本质上,《X档案》已经变成了QAnon,完全不再有趣了。
Essentially, the X Files has become QAnon, and it's not fun at all.
说到人们相信的怪异事物,来自史蒂夫·HP的一个问题,他是个很棒的人。
On the topic of weird stuff that people believe, question from Steve HP, wonderful man.
二十世纪九十年代的历史在很大程度上受到了教皇圣若望·保禄二世、伊朗伊斯兰共和国、奥萨马·本·拉登、阿贾清真寺的毁灭以及达赖喇嘛的软实力的影响。
The history of the 1990s was affected in important ways by Pope Saint John Paul II, the Islamic Republic Of Iran, Osama bin Laden, the destruction of the Aja Mosque, and the soft power of the Dalai Lama.
西方历史学家,你,多米尼克,是否具备解释这一现象的概念框架?
Are Western historians, you, Dominic, equipped with a conceptual framework to explain this?
我其实有一个很棒的概念框架。
I've got a great conceptual framework, actually.
你不用担心我的概念框架,汤姆。
You don't need to worry about my conceptual framework, Tom.
所以,我想这其实是一个关于宗教的问题。
So this is, I guess, I'm guessing a question about religion, really.
这是一个关于
It's a question about
是的。
Yes.
我认为是,特别是制度性宗教。
I think it's and not and specifically, institutional religion.
所以不是那种外星人《X档案》类型的东西,是的。
So not the kind of alien X Files kind of Yes.
那种九十年代流行的灵性但非宗教的东西,但这里是制度性的宗教。
Spiritual but not religious stuff that you get in the nineties, but organized So it's
这难道不是很有趣吗?
an interesting thing, isn't it?
因为九十年代感觉像是一种终结,像是上帝已死的时期。
Because the nineteen nineties felt like a kind of death it's like death of god period.
那种福山的书,以及人类自由民主是未来的观点,我确实记得,当我戴上纯粹个人记忆的帽子时。
The sort of Fukuyama book and the idea that sort of humanistic liberal democracy was the future, and that I I definitely remember sort of putting my purely sort of personal memory hat back on.
人们谈论伊朗、阿亚图拉和拉什迪的教令时,把它们当作遗迹。
The way that people talked about Iran and the Ayatollah and the Rashti fatwa and whatnot, that these were relics.
这些很快就会被遗忘的遗迹。
These were soon to be forgotten kind of relics.
人们经常说这是中世纪的行为,把伊朗称为中世纪政权等等。
People would often say it's medieval sort of behavior, and they'd talk about Iran as a medieval regime and all.
实际上,9·11事件之后,人们也经常这么做。
And people did that a lot actually after nine eleven as well.
现在很明显,人们,尤其是在世俗的西方,低估了宗教的韧性,以及宗教认同和宗教忠诚在后冷战世界中所起的作用。
And it's clear now that people, particularly in the sort of secular West, underestimated the resilience of religion and the way in which religious identity and religious loyalty would play a part, particularly in the post Cold War world.
我其实讨厌这个问题,因为这对你来说简直是天赐良机。
And I actually hate this question because it's such a gift to you.
确实如此。
It is.
因为在九十年代,我对这个问题完全不感兴趣。
Because I I had to I had no interest in this question at all in the nineties.
我的意思是,这对我来说毫无意义。
I mean, I it was nothing to me.
根本没引起我的注意。
Barely registered on my radar.
而如今,我当然意识到自己当时完全错了,于是我写了一本名为《称霸》的书,可在所有正规书店购买。
Whereas now, of course, I have realized that that was completely wrong, and I've written a book about A Called Dominion, which is available from all good bookshops.
关于
On
羞耻名单。
Shame list.
那个谢默斯。
That Sheamus.
关于这个,我之所以同意这个话题,是因为我确实……
On on that that I only agreed to this topic because I Yeah.
所以你能看出这个问题迟早会出现。
So you could see that that question would come up.
我觉得我们应该划个界限。
I think we should draw a line.
我的意思是,咱们看看怎么才能更进一步。
I mean, let's see how we can top that.
好的。
Okay.
嗯,我觉得你应该给我一个例子:在1990年代,有没有哪个时刻是我们现在不谈、但其实应该多谈的,你认为历史学家将来会关注的?
Well, I think you should give me one is there one moment from the 1990s that you think we don't talk about that we should talk about more that you think historians will look at?
有什么出乎意料的吗?
Is there anything unexpected?
你不能问我这个问题。
You can't ask me that question.
在伟大之后,我感觉太累了。
I feel too tired after Great.
伟大。
Great.
全体委员会。
Full committee.
显然,你是有的。
Well, clearly, you do.
那么告诉我,那个时刻是什么?
So tell me, what is the moment?
你显然对这个问题有答案。
You clearly have an answer to this question.
我认为,实际上英国没有加入欧元区,从英国的角度来看
I think actually probably Britain not joining the euro from a British
哦,非常好。
Oh, very good.
是的,非常好。
Yes, very good.
我认为
I think
没有加入欧元让我们提前实现了脱欧,而且我认为我们都读过罗伯特·图姆斯的书,他是著名的脱欧派,罗伯特·图姆斯教授写过关于脱欧的著作。
not joining the euro was so we did Brexit before, and I think we've both read the book by Robert Toombs he was a big Brexiteer, Professor Robert Toombs about Brexit.
他提出,如果我们加入了欧元区,脱欧根本不可能实现,我认为他是对的,因为退出欧元所带来的经济破坏将会极其严重。
He makes the argument that Brexit would not have been possible had we joined the euro, and I think he's right, because the economic damage of crashing out the euro would just be so great.
这实际上是戈登的贡献,我的意思是,这可能会被载入史册,正如他自己所说,他在2008年金融危机后拯救了世界。
And that was actually Gordon I mean, that will probably go down as Gordon Brown's apart from, as he would himself put it, saving the world in 2008 after the crash.
戈登·布朗对英国历史的伟大贡献。
Gordon Brown's great contribution to British history.
我的意思是,'伟大'在这里是指重要,而不是赞许的意思。
I I mean, great as in as in important rather than as a term of approval.
不加入欧元区,从某种意义上使英国脱欧成为可能,
By not joining the euro, that made Brexit possible in a way that
但你会说这是不可避免的吗?
But would you say inevitable?
嗯,托姆斯会说这是不可避免的。
Well, Two's would say inevitable.
但这是一个重大的问题。
But that's a massive question.
英国脱欧是不可避免的吗?
Was Brexit inevitable?
这肯定能做成一个播客话题。
Surely, there's a podcast in that.
是的。
Yes.
我们必须请海伦·汤普森。
We must get Helen Thompson.
对。
Yeah.
Anyway,我们只是在随意交谈。
Anyway, we're just talking over.
她对这个话题非常出色。
She's she's brilliant on this topic.
我们现在正在与观众分享我们的幕后对话,我们应该停止了。
We're now sharing our we're now sharing our backstage conversations with the audience, and we should stop.
是的。
Yes.
所以我认为就这样了。
So I think that's it.
我认为我们可以宣告九十年代结束了。
I think we declare the nineties over.
请在下一期节目中和我们一起回顾18世纪和19世纪的性话题。
Please join us next time as we head back and take a good look at sex in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
再见。
Goodbye.
再见。
Goodbye.
感谢收听《历史其余部分》。
Thanks for listening to the Rest is History.
如需获取附加剧集、提前收听、无广告收听以及加入我们的聊天社区,请前往 restishistorypod.com 注册。
For bonus episodes, early access, ad free listening, and access to our chat community, please sign up at restishistorypod.com.
网址是 restishistorypod.com。
That's restishistorypod.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。