本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
一位智者曾说过,真正的人类历史是一部发生在优雅厅堂中的伟大对话史。
A wise man once said, a true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms.
听起来剩下的就是历史了。
Sounds like the rest is history.
这些话出自《权力的游戏》中的矮人角色提利昂·兰尼斯特,那位伟大的历史学家。
Those are the words of the dwarf from Game of Thrones, Tyrion Lannister, that great historian.
而这周我们的主题就是《权力的游戏》。
And that's our subject this week, Game of Thrones.
汤姆·霍兰德,你是这部充满性、凉鞋与剑的热门剧集的粉丝吗?
Tom Holland, are you a fan of the sex and sandals and swords hit?
我是,而且
I I am, and
我很自豪地说我是早期追随者,因为在电视剧开播前我就读了早期的书籍,我必须说,这是我人生中最棒的阅读体验之一。
I am proud to say that I was an early adopter because I, I I read the early books before the TV show started, and I've got to say that it was one of the great reading experiences of my life.
哇。
Wow.
那真是
That's a
很大的说法。
big claim.
是的。
Yeah.
我买了第一本书,几乎一天就读完了,早早排队去拿
I got I got the first book, devoured it pretty much in a day, queued up early to get into
当天的书,
the book of the day to
来拿第二本。
get the second one.
我觉得它们真的非常棒。
I I I thought they were really great.
我觉得我也挺喜欢电视剧的,但我觉得书本身简直太出色了。
And I thought they I I kinda quite enjoyed the TV series as well, but I thought that the the book was was brilliant.
所以你在看电视剧之前,已经全部读完了吗?
So had you got all
你有读到你能读到的最远的地方吗?
the way through before you started the TV series?
你有读到尽可能远的地方吗?
Have you got to the as far as you could go?
读到了我能读到的最远的地方。
Got as far as I could.
哇哦。
Wow.
我和《权力的游戏》的另一个关联是,我曾经把乔拉·莫尔蒙打出了个击球出局。
And the other the other link that I have with Game of Thrones is that I once got Sir Jorah Mormont, LBW.
汤姆。
Tom.
伊恩·格伦。
Ian Glenn.
伊恩·格伦。
Ian Glenn.
是的。
Yeah.
我知道,那些对板球一无所知、也没看过《权力的游戏》的人,根本听不懂这个梗。
I I I'm aware that people who know nothing about cricket and haven't read Game of Thrones, that will mean absolutely nothing.
我全都记住了。
I've all had facts.
这最冷门了。
That's the most obscure.
这最棒了,对吧?
That's the best, isn't it?
我有点觉得,这恰恰凸显了这一集可能会惹恼两个群体。
Which which I kind of I I guess, kind of highlights the way in which this is an episode that that we risk annoying two constituencies.
而且其中一个,显然
And and one of them, obviously,
是因为
is because
你对《权力的游戏》了如指掌。
you know everything about Game of Thrones.
因为,你知道,我已经有段时间没看了。
Because, you know, I it's a while since I've watched it.
我并没有完全掌握每一个细节。
I'm not absolutely on top of every last detail.
但当然,也可能有一些听众从未读过原著,也没看过电视剧,他们或许会疑惑:为什么在一个历史播客里我们要谈论一部虚构作品?我认为,这么做的原因源于大卫·哈斯克尔提出的一个问题:你觉得电视剧《权力的游戏》对大众关于中世纪的认知影响,是否超过了其他流行的历史剧或历史书籍?
But also, of course, there there may be people listening who've who've never read the books, who've never seen the TV show, and maybe wondering why on a history podcast we're we're talking about a work of And I think that, the reason for doing it is focused by a question from David Haskier, who asks, how do you feel about the likely fact that the TV series has shaped popular perception about the medieval period more than, popular historical TV or books?
我的看法更进一步:在21世纪,没有任何作品比《权力的游戏》更深刻地塑造了更广泛人群对过去的认知。
I mean, I I I'd go further and say that nothing in the twenty first century has done more to shape the way that a broader range of people now think about the past than Game of Thrones.
这比《角斗士》的影响还要大。
That's a bigger more than Gladiator.
我是说,《角斗士》
I mean, Gladiator's
多得多。
Much more.
多得多。
Much more.
多得多。
Much more.
我觉得。
I think.
哇。
Wow.
是的。
Yeah.
因为它是一个如此轰动的现象。
Because because it was such a phenomenon.
尽管它是奇幻题材,但其核心在于它融合了各种历史事件和历史时期。
And although it's fantasy, it the whole thing about it is that it's rooted in kind of various historical episodes, various historical periods, all mixed together.
我认为它对人们如何看待过去产生了巨大影响。
And I think it's a hugely influential on how and how people see the past.
但这其实是一个连续的过程,不是吗,汤姆?
It's in a continuum though, isn't it, Tom?
我的意思是,《魔戒》、沃尔特·斯科特、《艾凡赫》,还有维多利亚时代对中世纪的种种历史再现。
I mean, Lord of the Rings, Walter Scott, Ivanhoe, sort of Victorian historical evocations of the Middle Ages.
我的意思是,《权力的游戏》不就是这些理解中世纪过去的方式的最新体现吗?
I mean, Game of Thrones isn't isn't it just the latest iteration of these ways of thinking about the medieval past?
没错。
Right.
所以我认为,这也是我们研究它的另一个原因,因为它确实是我们过去几个世纪以来理解方式的延续。
So I think that's that's another reason for looking at it is that it absolutely does stand in a continuum of ways that that we over the past centuries have have understood.
我想,尤其是对中世纪的过去。
Think, I guess, particularly the medieval past.
但是,多米尼克,为了那些从未读过或看过《权力的游戏》的人能更好地理解。
But, Dominic, for for the benefit of those who have never read or seen Game of Thrones.
我很好奇。
I'm curious.
故事的开端。
Start of a tale.
就像BBC第四电台的访谈节目一样。
It's like kind of radio four panel show.
是的。
Yeah.
你能用一分钟或两分钟讲讲《权力的游戏》的剧情吗?
Can you give the plot of Game of Thrones in, what, a minute, two minutes?
我曾用大约九十秒讲完了法国大革命。
Well, I did the French Revolution in about ninety seconds.
所以《权力的游戏》要更复杂一些,对吧?
So Game of Thrones is a bit More complex, isn't it?
所以对于那些从未看过或读过这部剧的人,我得说明一下——毕竟其他人都会对我这种极度简化的说法感到震惊,就像他们一贯那样。
So for people so this is basically for people who haven't haven't seen it or read it, because everybody else will be appalled by my gross oversimplifications as no doubt they always are.
所以基本上,《权力的游戏》我觉得包含两个方面。
So basically, Game of Thrones, I think, is two things.
第一,它是一个设定在类似中世纪时代的故事,背景是名为维斯特洛的大陆,那里靠近大陆顶端有一道巨大的墙,基本上就是哈德良长城。
One, it's a story set in the sort of vaguely middle ages ish time in this continent called Westeros, which is at the top of the near the top of the continent, there's a there's a huge wall, which is basically Hadrian's Wall.
墙的另一边是一片冰雪荒原。
And on the other side, there's these snowy wastes.
一直以来,都有传说和谣言称,某种可怕的威胁将从冰雪荒原穿越长城而来。
And there have always been stories and rumors about some terrible menace that's gonna come from, you know, through the snowy wastes across the wall.
这些就是异鬼。
And these are the white walkers.
它们有点像僵尸。
These are kind of zombies.
剧集一开始便揭示了僵尸即将来袭,这一威胁笼罩着整个故事。
And the show starts with the realization that basically the zombies are coming, and this is looming over the whole story.
所以这是其中一个方面。
So that's one aspect of it.
所以,你知道,一场末日般的对决正在逼近。
So, you know, there's this kind of apocalyptic confrontation coming.
但大部分剧情实际上围绕着被称为七大王国的权力争夺展开。
But then most of the narrative is actually about the fight for supremacy in what are called the seven kingdoms.
所以有铁王座,也就是那个显然的王座。
So there's the iron throne, which is the sort of, you know, the throne, obviously.
同时,这些家族——明显借鉴了中世纪历史中的不同家族——为了控制权而展开一系列类似玫瑰战争式的阴谋和肥皂剧般的权谋。
And there is a series of kind of wars of the roses style, shenanigans and sort of soap opera, machinations as these different families who are clearly modeled on different families from medieval history are fighting for control.
一开始,你被引导去——我的意思是,有些人可能会觉得,这听起来没什么特别的。
And at the beginning, you're invited I mean, the the the distinctive thing about Game of Thrones, because some people will thinking, well, that doesn't sound very distinctive at all.
但它的独特之处在于,一开始你就被引导去同情大陆北部的一个特定家族,而且很明显,他们会成为你进入这个世界的视角。
But the distinctive thing about it, I suppose, is that at the very beginning, you're invited to empathize with one particular family from the north of the continent, and it's very clear that they are going to be your sort of eyes into the into this world.
但到了第一本书或第一季的结尾,情况却发生了逆转,你意识到,实际上,他们中的很多人将会陆续被杀。
And and then the tables are turned by the end of the first book or the first series, and you realize that, actually, they start a lot of them are gonna start getting killed off.
你开始意识到,整个故事有一种你意想不到的基调:没有什么是理所当然的,你所投入感情的角色会以极其惨烈的方式死去。
And you start to realize that this whole enterprise has a sensibility that you don't expect, that nothing can be taken for granted, and the characters that you have invested in are gonna be killed off really horribly.
然后情节一个接一个地反转。
And and then it's sort of there's just twist part upon twist.
但与此同时,僵尸正在逼近,这为故事增添了另一重维度。
And yet all the time, you know, the zombies are coming, which gives it this sort of other dimension.
当然,还有第三个维度,很多人非常喜欢,那就是龙的存在。
And then, of course, there is one third dimension, which a lot of people loved, which is the fact that it has dragons.
龙是这些神话生物,被视为终极武器,人们早已不相信它们还存在,而它们的回归将彻底改变整个剧集的格局。
And dragons are these mythical creatures that are kind of the ultimate weapon that people don't believe exist anymore, and they're gonna come back and change the dynamic of the entire show.
这基本上就是《权力的游戏》。
And that's basically Game of Thrones.
太精彩了。
Brilliant.
绝对精彩。
Absolutely brilliant.
说到龙,就像我一个朋友,他坚决拒绝接触任何有龙的东西。
And to fix on the dragons, it's like my friend who refuses point blank to to have any dealings with anything that has dragons.
哇。
Wow.
就像霍比特人一样。
Just like the hobbits.
不。
No.
不。
No.
维加斯戒指。
Vagas ring.
全部都是。
All of yeah.
全部都是。
All of it.
讨厌它。
Hates it.
对他说来,龙是绝对的市场。
Dragons for him are the absolute market.
他不会碰这个的。
He's not gonna touch it.
你提到了僵尸和龙。
So you mentioned both zombies and dragons.
春节。
Chinese New Year.
那有以太吗?
That has The aethers?
是的。
Yeah.
中国,是的。
Chinese yeah.
不。
No.
但它们是不同的,对吧?
But they're different, aren't they?
我觉得他指的是中世纪西方风格。
I think he's talking about the medieval Western.
对吧?
Right?
好的。
Okay.
僵尸和龙立刻表明这不属于纯粹的历史小说。
Zombies and dragons immediately mark it out as the kind of thing that that that is not straight historical fiction.
是的。
Yeah.
所以也许我们可以
So perhaps we could I
我的意思是,让我们来看看两者。
mean, let let let's look at both of them.
所以,这是来自‘电影幽灵’的一个问题。
So so there's a question from Ghost of Film Past.
龙的观念是从哪里来的?
Where did the idea of dragons originate from?
对于这个问题,一个答案显然非常明确,不是吗?
And one answer to that is obviously it's very clear, isn't it?
它源自中世纪的文学。
It's it's coming from med medieval literature.
是的。
Yeah.
不仅如此,从某种意义上说,将龙视为真实存在的中世纪背景,某种程度上确实反映了中世纪人理解世界的方式,因为他们确实相信龙是存在的。
More than that, it's it's it's in a way, it's an it's showing the Middle Ages in which dragons are real is kind of true to a certain way in which medieval people did understand the world because they did think that that dragons kind of existed.
在维京人洗劫林迪斯法恩之前,天空中曾出现过火焰般的龙。
So when the before the sack of Lindisfarne by the Vikings, fiery dragons are seen in the sky.
那不是彗星吗?
Are they not comets?
所以它们根本就不是彗星吗?
So they're just not comets?
嗯,那可能是我们现在的说法。
Well, they might that's what we would say.
但在编年史中,它写的是火焰龙。
But in in the chronicle, it says it's fiery dragons.
在十一世纪初,亚美尼亚也有报告称,有龙俯冲而下,喷吐火焰。
And you get reports from Armenia in the early eleventh century of dragons sweeping down and vomiting fire.
还有这份令人惊叹的报告,我的意思是,这是我读过的整个中世纪文学中最喜欢的段落之一。
And you get this incredible report where I mean, my one of my favorite passages in the whole of medieval literature.
同样是十一世纪初,一位来自雷根斯堡的修士穿越匈牙利平原,描述了他旅途中的细节。
Again, early eleventh century of a monk from Regensburg crossing the Hungarian Plain, and he's describing the details of his trip.
你知道,我看到了一座城堡。
You know, I saw this castle.
这是一条相当有趣的路线。
It's kind of interesting path.
哦,然后一条龙在我身后盘旋。
Oh, and then then a dragon shadowed me.
它有个巨大的头,身上覆盖着像金属板一样的鳞片,然后就飞走了。
He had a huge head, and he had scales like like metal plates, and then he flew off.
这发生在哪儿?
Where is this?
德国?
Germany?
匈牙利。
Hungary.
匈牙利。
Hungary.
哇。
Wow.
谁想得到呢?
Who knew?
所以,当然,我的意思是,我们
So so, of course, I mean, we
可能会说,显然他吃了什么或喝了什么
might say, obviously, he'd eaten something or drunk
或者 whatever 你得到了的东西。
something or whatever you got.
奶酪。
Cheese.
是的。
Yes.
他吃了太多奶酪。
He had too much cheese.
但某种程度上,《权力的游戏》有一件事我觉得很棒,那就是它以一种贴近中世纪人可能看待世界的方式,引入了超自然和轰动性的元素。
But in a way, one thing that is kind of I think great about Game of Thrones is that it it it does import the supernatural and and and the sensational in a way that is true to the way that that medieval people perhaps did see the world.
嗯,我想如果你是西方中世纪的人,河马、犀牛,是的。
Well, I suppose if you're a western medieval person, a hippopotamus, a rhinoceros Yeah.
知道吗,科莫多龙。
Know, Komodo dragon.
它们和幻想中的生物一样。
They're just as fantas yeah.
我的意思是,为什么龙不能飞呢?
As a drag I mean, why shouldn't a dragon fly?
我的意思是,恐龙本身,
I mean, it's not well, dinosaurs,
你知道,鸟类。
you know, birds.
但另一方面,显然,龙在这个系列中的角色非常现代,因为它们是一种超级武器。
But but there is another way in which, obviously, dragons, the role that they play in this series is incredibly modern because they are a kind of super weapon.
它们相当于一枚炸弹,或者一支轰炸机机队。
They are the equivalent of of of a bomb if a block a fleet of bombers.
或者像《指环王》里的魔戒一样,也是一种超级武器,不是吗?
Or to or the or the ring in the Lord of the Rings is a super weapon, isn't it?
而且,使用魔戒的可能性始终笼罩着《指环王》。
And that that the prospect of using the ring hangs over the Lord of the Rings.
我的意思是,这稍微有点不同。
I mean, this is slightly different.
但难道不是同样的道理吗?在剧集和书中,人们都害怕龙的拥有会腐蚀你。
But isn't it the same thing that dragons there's a fear in the show and in the books that drag the the possession of dragons will corrupt you.
这是终极力量的体现。
It's a sum of the ultimate power
以及
and the
对成千上万,甚至数百万人的生命与死亡的掌控力。
power of life and death over over thousands, if not millions of people.
这和托尔金的魔戒有点相似,但同时也非常现代,因为它正是我们如今看待大规模杀伤性武器的方式。
Well, that's a tiny bit like Tolkien's Ring, but it's also the way that it's very modern because it's the way that we now think of weapons of mass destruction.
比如,二战时期的核武器。
You know, the the nuclear weapons in World War two, for example.
但这也非常贴合九十年代和二十一世纪初的实际情况,当时那些极具权势的人确实使用了空中力量,是的。
But also, it's it's very true to a very you know, the the circumstances of the nineties and and early years of twenty first century when highly powerful people did use aerial power Yeah.
对敌方城市造成毁灭性打击。
To inflict devastation on enemy cities.
嗯,我有一大堆关于《权力的游戏》是在九十年代创作的理论。
Well, I mean, I have a a whole ton of theories about Game of Thrones being written in the nineteen nineties.
我的意思是,也许我们现在就该聊聊这个,毕竟我们正在谈九十年代,还没说到僵尸呢。
I mean, to me, maybe we well, maybe we should get into this now before we get to the zombies since we're talking about the nineties.
所以乔治·R·R·马丁是在九十年代初期到中期开始写这些书的。
So George RR Martin starts writing these books in sort of the early to mid nineteen nineties.
我一直觉得——也许没人这么认为,或者我还没见过有人这么论证过——
And I've always thought I haven't maybe nobody maybe people think this is mad because I haven't really seen anyone argue this.
但我总觉得,他开始写这些书的时候,正是柏林墙倒塌、冷战结束、历史终结论被宣告,而历史又重新开始的时刻。
But I always think he starts writing these books at the point at which, you know, the Berlin Wall has come down, the Cold War is over, the end of history has been proclaimed, and then history kinda restarts.
随后,像南斯拉夫那样的可怕内战,以及卢旺达的大屠杀相继爆发。
And you have these hideous civil wars in places like Yugoslavia or in the genocide in Rwanda.
而这种情景在每日的新闻头条中不断上演:那些精英阶层的人物做出的决策,给普通百姓的村庄带来了最可怕的后果,邻里反目,正如乔治·R.
And you have this sense played out in the headlines for day after day that sort of top people who are the elite are taking decisions that have the most horrific consequences on the ground in ordinary people's villages as kind of neighbor turns our neighbor and and sort of, you know, the sort of the small folk, as I think George R.
R.
R.
马丁所称的‘小人物’。
Martin calls them.
他们为权贵们的争斗付出了代价。
They pay the price for the feuds of their of the greats and the good.
波斯尼亚就是这样一个例子。
So Bosnia is an example of that.
阅读历史中的这些事件,这正是它与托尔金作品的不同之处。
And and reading what happens in history, and this is where it differs from Tolkien.
战争爆发了,七王国之战就此展开。
The war starts, so the war for the seven kingdoms.
而你不再仅仅从贵族的视角看待战争,而是开始看到这些战争对村庄中普通人的影响。
And instead of you seeing it purely through the eyes of the nobles, you start to see the consequences for these people in these villages.
而且我当时觉得
And and I thought at
那时候,尤其是小说中,确实如此,不是吗?
the time And that's particularly true of the novels, isn't it?
比在电视剧中更加明显。
Much more than than in the
没错。
TV Exactly.
人们会看到,这些角色穿越那些被烧毁、破碎的村庄,仿佛置身于三十年战争到第二次世界大战之间的场景。
People go you know, the characters travel through these sort of burned out, shattered villages that feel like something from the thirty years war until the second world war.
你知道,所有人都逃走了。
You know, everybody people have fled.
他们把财产搬上马车。
They put their possessions on carts.
有很多强奸事件。
There there's a lot of rape.
有大量的性暴力,这感觉非常像九十年代到二十一世纪初。
There's a tons of sexual violence, which feels very nineteen nineties, early twenty first century.
有些事情,五十年前的人是不会写出来的。
You Something that people wouldn't have written about fifty years earlier.
而就在人们开始描写红军1945年入侵德国时的强奸暴行时,恰恰是这个时候。
And and it's at precisely the point when people are writing about the Red Army's rapes when they invade Germany in in 1945 or something.
所以它显得非常具有时代感。
So it feels very of the moment.
我认为这使《权力的游戏》非常明确地扎根于二十世纪末、二十一世纪初——它不可能在更早的时期被写出来。
And I think that roots Game of Thrones very clearly in the sort of late twentieth, early twenty it couldn't have been written at any previous point.
我认为所有对历史的伟大虚构重构都是如此。
And I think that's that's true of all great recalibrations, fictional recalibrations of history.
所以托尔金的《魔戒》深受两次世界大战的影响,这一点是显而易见的。
So it's true of Tolkien that he's hugely Lord of the Rings is hugely informed by the two world wars.
司各特的作品也深深植根于他所处时代的社会氛围。
Scott is hugely informed by the the the climate in which he's writing.
而且,显然《权力的游戏》既关乎二十一世纪,也关乎它所设定的任何历史时期。
And, obviously, Game of Thrones is as much about the twenty first century as it is about whatever period it's set in.
那么我们来谈谈僵尸,那些潜伏在长城之外的死者。
And so moving on to the zombies, the the the dead who who lurk beyond the wall.
我们有一个来自安格斯·科尔韦尔的问题,他说乔治·R·R·马丁曾表示,异鬼(即僵尸)是气候变化的隐喻。
We've got a question from, yes, Angus Colwell, who says George RR Martin said the white walkers who are the zombies were a climate change analogy.
是的。
Yeah.
那种末日感。
The sense of doom.
嗯,反复出现的台词是:冬天将至。
Well, so so the, yeah, the the the recurring refrain is winter is coming.
但从某种意义上说,其实更像是:炎热将至。
But but in a sense, it's kind of, you know, heat is coming.
一场酷热的夏天即将到来。
A scorching summer is coming.
夏天来了听起来没那么有那种味道。
Summer is coming doesn't quite have the same kind taste.
有。
It does.
太阳就要出来了。
Here comes the sun.
从这个意义上说,它们是非常当代的寓言。
So in that sense, they're they're they're a very contemporary allegory.
但没错。
But Yes.
同时,死者从坟墓中爬起的概念确实曾萦绕着早期中世纪的想象,比如北欧传说中那些从死亡中复活的德雷格。
At the same time, the idea of the dead rising from their grave is something that did haunt certainly the early medieval imagination, the kind of Norse legends of the Drago who who rise from the dead.
我的意思是,从某种意义上说,《贝奥武夫》就是那个怪物。
I mean, in a sense, Beowulf is kind of, you know, the monster.
所以我认为,你可以追溯得更早。
So am I I think you can go back even further.
我说吉尔伽美什史诗中,伊什塔尔威胁要让死者从坟墓中复活,之类的,我没说错吧?
Am I not right in saying that the epic of Gilgamesh, Ishtar, threatens to think Raise the dead from their graves or some such?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
在《奥德赛》里也有。
And it's in the Odyssey as well.
但我认为这特别根植于斯堪的纳维亚的传统。
But I think this is specifically rooted in kind of Scandinavian traditions.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我觉得《权力的游戏》有趣之处在于,它使用了真实的历史素材,并赋予了它非常现代的诠释。
So I think that's what's interesting about Game of Thrones is that it uses authentic historical material and gives it a very contemporary spin.
我认为这正是它如此成功的原因。
And that's obviously why it's been as successful as it has, I think.
嗯,这确实是一个非常重要的元素,可能也是很多粉丝对我们播客的期待——他们几乎是一集一集地追完了整个系列。
Well, that's a I mean, that's a huge element, and that's probably what a lot of fans will be expecting from our podcast actually that that I mean, people have gone through the series kind of almost blow by blow.
一集一集地追。
And blow by blow.
我的意思是,你可以这样理解。
I mean, you can interpret that.
我的意思是,这是《权力的游戏》。
Mean, it's Game of Thrones.
他们逐集分析《权力的游戏》,然后说,好吧。
They go through Game of Thrones blow by blow and said, okay.
这是伊耿一世。
This is he is Eberd the first.
他是伊耿四世。
He's Eberd the fourth.
这位人物,你知道,这位瑟曦·兰尼斯特,就是安茹的玛格丽特。
This fellow is, you know, this Cersei Lannister is Margaret of Anjou.
或者,你知道的,你可以这么做,对吧?
Or, you know, you can do that, can't you?
我的意思是,已经有人这么做了。
I mean, people have done it.
哦,他们已经走遍了所有地方。
Oh, they've gone through all the places.
所以地理背景相当有趣,因为地理环境明显不同。
So the geography is quite interesting because the geography is clearly different.
你知道,大部分设定在不列颠群岛,但发生在不同的历史时期。
You know, the a lot of it is the British Isles, but set at different points in history.
你认同这一点吗?
Do you buy that?
所以这几乎像是不同的时区。
So it's sort of almost different time zones.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,多米尼克,在
Well, Dominic, on
关于这一点,大卫有个问题。
that point, there's a question from David.
斯普拉克。
Spracking.
《权力的游戏》在描绘北方粗犷但诚实、南方精致但堕落、东方野蛮残酷、西方狂野奇异时,遵循了熟悉的模式。
Game of Thrones follows familiar paths in representing the North as rough but honest, the South as sophisticated but decadent, East as barbaric and cruel, West as wild and strange.
这些与方位相关的联想在英国欧洲历史上是恒定的吗?
Are these associations with points of the compass of the compass constants in British European history?
我的意思是,是的。
I mean, I yeah.
确实有一种大陆性的框架,使其与中世纪欧洲产生了共鸣。
There there is a kind of continental framing of it so that there there are echoes of of medieval Europe.
但我认为,有趣的一点是英国历史在其中占据着绝对核心的地位。
But I do think that it one of the things that's interesting is the way that British history is absolutely central in this.
我认为这很有趣的原因是,马丁曾表示他的灵感来源于一系列法国小说,这些小说设定在……是的。
And the reason that I think that's interesting is that Martin said that his inspiration was a series of French novels set in the the Yeah.
十三世纪、十四世纪早期的《勒鲁瓦·莫迪》系列。
Thirteenth, early, fourteenth century, Les Leroy Modi.
但当他着手创作时,却特别聚焦于英国历史。
But when he comes to write this, he fixes on specifically British history.
而且我想你或许可以说,实际上就是英格兰历史,因为正如你所说,推动情节发展的核心动力显然是基于玫瑰战争。
And I guess you could say, actually, English history because as you say, the the the the the kind of the prime motor of the plot is clearly based on the Wars of the Roses.
是的。
Yeah.
兰开斯特和约克,史塔克和兰尼斯特,我的意思是,这简直太明显了,不是吗?
Well, Lancaster and York, Starks and Lannister, I mean, it's blatantly obvious, isn't it?
莎士比亚历史剧中讲述玫瑰战争故事的那个伟大的戏剧循环。
The great dramatic cycle that tells the story of the Wars of the Roses in Shakespeare's history plays.
而且我认为,没有任何其他国家的传统能拥有一位以如此深刻且具有影响力的方式诠释历史的伟大作家。
And I don't think that there is any other kind of national tradition that has a great writer who has interpreted history in quite so profound and and and influential way.
所以我们谈到了托尔金,谈到了司各特,但我认为最终对这部作品影响最大的还是莎士比亚。
So we've talked about Tolkien, we've talked about Scott, but I think that ultimately, the huge influence on this is Shakespeare.
原因在于,所有说英语的人——无论你身处美国、英国还是其他地方——都深受这种影响。
And the reason for that is that everyone who speaks English, whether you're in America, Britain, wherever, that is the influence.
所以当你想到中世纪时,你会想到莎士比亚。
So when you think of the Middle Ages, you think of Shakespeare.
是的。
Yeah.
我想这是对的。
I suppose that's true.
我的意思是,莎士比亚在美国显然非常受欢迎。
I mean, well, I think Shakespeare's I mean, Shakespeare's obviously enormously popular in America.
因此,美国人对英国中世纪历史的理解,常常是通过莎士比亚的视角来实现的。
And so English medieval history has arrived is understood in America often through the lens of Shakespeare.
我也认为你无法回避托尔金的影响。
I I also think you can't get away from Tolkien.
我的意思是,托尔金基本上是创造了高地奇幻文学,或者至少是让这种类型流行起来的人。
I mean, Tolkien is the person who basically invents high fantasy or at least popularizes it.
而且这种奇幻设定必须发生在北方,总是带有盎格鲁-撒克逊和北欧传统的影响,这一点在这部作品中确实如此。
And the idea that it has to be in the North, that it is a that there are always kind of Anglo Saxon and Norse traditions at play, which is true with this.
对吧?
Right?
所以在北方,在史塔克家族和临冬城的世界里,是不是非常像盎格鲁-撒克逊风格的酒厅?
So in the North, in this story, the world of the Starks and Winterfell, it's very kind of Anglo Saxon mead hall, isn't it?
我的意思是,奈德·史塔克,至少在第一本书里,他是你被邀请去认同的家族族长,他简直就是理想化的盎格鲁-撒克逊领主。
I mean, Ned Stark, who is the sort of family patriarch that you're invited to invest in in the first book at least, he's very much the sort of idealized Anglo Saxon lord.
你不这么认为吗?
Don't you think?
他经常设宴
He's sort of feasting
款待他的部下,我确实这么觉得。
his men when he I do.
我认为,这正是瓦雷利亚世界难以界定却又非常有趣的原因,正如朱利安·伦诺克斯提出的那个问题。
And I think, again, that this is kind of what makes the world of Westeros hard to pin down, but also kind of very, very interesting question from Julian Lennox.
《权力的游戏》所描绘的具体历史时期是什么?
What is the exact period of history depicted in Game of Thrones?
哇。
Wow.
这看起来像是个简单的问题,但我认为其实有点复杂。
It seems like an easy answer, I think it's a bit tricky.
在河湾地,他们似乎处于文艺复兴时期,但在北境可能更早一些。
In the Reach, they seem to be in the Renaissance, but maybe it's earlier than that in the North.
他们是诺曼-撒克逊人吗?
Are they Norman Saxons?
我们能说这是公元1300年还是1000年吗?
Can we say 1,300 or a thousand?
所以我认为,维斯特洛大陆上,君临城的中心地带可以说是
So I think that so there's a the continent of Westeros, the center of King's Landing is kind
它是伦敦吗?
of it's It's London?
我我
I I
我是君士坦丁堡。
I was Constantinople.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
所以这是一个混合体,但那里的人基本上是15世纪末的都铎时代人。
So it's a mix of places, but the the the people who live there are basically late fifteenth century Tudor.
对。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
然后你向北移动,穿过一些看似属于十四世纪的地区。
Then you you you move northwards and you go through lands that seem to be basically fourteenth century.
是的。
Yeah.
它们算是典型的中世纪盛期,对吧?
They're kind of high medieval, aren't they?
百年战争时期。
Hundred Years War.
是的。
Yeah.
源自百年战争的情节。
Coming plot from the Hundred Years War.
然后你再往北走,到达史塔克家族的家园临冬城,那里是一个盎格鲁-撒克逊世界。
Then you go further north, so into to Winterfell, the home of the Starks, there you are in an Anglo Saxon world.
而在沿海,有一些明显是维京风格的岛屿。
And off the coast, you have islands that are clearly Viking.
所以他们是铁民,是航海者,是的。
So they're the ironborn who are seafarers Yeah.
明显是以维京人为原型的。
Clearly based on the Vikings.
再往北走,你就来到了这道巨大的冰墙,乔丹·L。
You go further north yet, and you come to this vast wall of ice that Jordan L.
马丁曾说,这道墙是以哈德良长城为原型的。
Martin has said was based on Hadrian's Wall.
所以这是一座罗马建筑。
So that's a Roman construction.
然后你就回到了更久远的时代,因为你来到了苏格兰。
And then you got really back in time because you're in Scotland.
好吧,你正处于冰河时代,因为你身处一片被冰雪覆盖的土地。
Well, you're in the ice age because you you you're in a land covered with ice.
所以,是的。
So Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
我觉得这还挺有意思的。
I I think that's kind of interesting.
但有趣的是,汤姆,如果你往东看的话。
But also, if you what's interesting to me, Tom, is if you look East.
所以马丁确实捕捉到了托尔金作品中体现的东西,也反映了西方文学中普遍存在的东方主义视角:西方人直率诚实,而东方人则精致、腐败、极其残忍,甚至可能难以理解。
So Martin does absolutely capture something that you get in Tolkien and something that actually you get in so much western writing about the world, you know, orientalizing writing, which is that the West is kind of plain speaking and honest and the East is sophisticated and corrupt and incredibly cruel, possibly inscrutable as well.
所以,东方有着那些庞大的奴隶城市。
So, know, the the East, they have these great slaver cities.
它们非常富有。
They're very rich.
它们非常精致,但却无比残忍、充满异域色彩,诸如此类。
They're very sophisticated, but they're impossibly sadistic and exotic and and all of that sort of stuff.
某种程度上,我们对维斯特洛的理解尚未去殖民化,因为我们始终用一种去殖民化的视角来看待一切。
And in a way, you know, know, West so the way we think about Westeros is yet to be decolonized because we see everything through a very decolonized.
我们知道不是这样的。
We know it's not.
我们看待一切都是通过一个非常西方的视角,
We see everything through a very western lens,
对吧?
don't we?
完全正确。
Complete yes.
我完全同意。
I completely agree.
我认为,这正是它对很多人有吸引力的部分原因——你无法再像二十世纪早期那样,创作白人猎人或白人英雄前往遥远城市、寻找所罗门王宝藏的故事,
And I think that that that that again is part of the appeal of it for lots of people is that you can't have the kind of, dramas that that or novels that you got in the early twentieth century where you have white hunters or white heroes going to remote cities, to King Solomon's mines,
或者,是的。
or Yeah.
《丁丁历险记》去失落的玛雅城市,或者类似的地方,利用日食之类的知识来解救被野蛮主人奴役的奴隶,而在《权力的游戏》中,你可以
Tin Tin going to lost, Mayan cities or whatever, and invoking, you know, the knowledge of eclipses or whatever to, to to liberate slaves from their barbaric owners, which in Game of Thrones, you can
因为,是的。
because Yeah.
嗯,因为你提到的那个角色,丹妮莉丝·坦格利安,她是龙之母,出身于一个能够驯养巨龙的悠久王室血脉,而这正是他们力量的源泉。
Well because the the figure you you mentioned, Daenerys Targaryen, who is the mother of dragons, who who who who comes from a long line of of kings and queens who are able to raise dragons, and that's the source of their power.
而她基本上是被卖给了类似斯基泰人、匈奴人,或者说是蒙古人的野蛮首领,沦为婚姻奴隶。
And she is kind of basically sold into marital slavery to a barbarous leader of of kind of Scythians, stroke, hums, quote, stroke Mongols.
然后,她成为了他们的女王,并利用她的这支军队和她的巨龙去解放那些奴隶王国。
And she, becomes their queen and then uses her this army and her dragons to to to liberate kingdoms of slaves.
是的。
Yeah.
我们之前谈到了阿兹特克人和伊朗的科尔特斯。
And we we and we we we were talking about the Aztecs and the Iranian Cortes.
对。
Yeah.
而且,传统上,从征服之后一直到十九世纪乃至二十世纪,对阿兹特克帝国征服的描绘方式,往往将其呈现为将人民从进行血腥祭祀的野蛮统治者、祭司和国王手中解放出来。
And the the way in which traditionally over the course of, you know, following the conquest right the way through the nineteenth into the twentieth century, the way that the conquest of of the Aztec empire tended to be portrayed was as a liberation of people from barbarous rulers and priests and kings who were engaging in bloody sacrifice.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
但这在政治上已不再被允许,却是一个非常戏剧化的故事。
And that is politically no longer permissible, but it is a very dramatic story.
这是一种非常戏剧化的表达方式。
It's a very dramatic way of presenting it.
她不是把奴隶主钉在十字架上了吗?
Doesn't she doesn't she crucify the slavers?
那不是吗
Isn't isn't that
她确实这么做了。
She does.
是的。
Yes.
然后她用她的龙烧毁了整个维斯特洛。
And then she ends up incinerating the whole of Westeros with her dragons.
所以,这并不是对她的纯粹颂扬,但她确实是白人救世主的典型代表。
So it's it is it's it's it's not a a a kind of purely laudatory presentation of her, but she is the very essence of a white Xavier.
我的意思是,她的头发不可能更金黄了。
I mean, her her her hair could not be more blonde.
她确实是。
She is.
她就像是去乞力马扎罗山进行彗星观景之旅的人,不是吗?
She's she's somebody going on a comet relief trip to Kilimanjaro, isn't she?
是的。
Yes.
骑着一条龙。
With a dragon.
但事情彻底搞砸了。
But it's gone horribly wrong.
博布利。
Bobbley.
但她是个有趣的角色,因为她是那种——我是说,她是个冒牌货。
But she's an interesting character because she's a kind of, I mean, she's a pretender.
嗯,说她是冒牌货可能不太准确,因为她确实有很充分的王位继承权,但她身上有种詹姆斯党人的气质,不是吗?
Well, she's not a pretender is probably not quite the right word because she does have very good claims to the to the throne, but she's got a Jacobite figure, isn't she?
是的。
Yeah.
她是查理王子。
She's Bonnie Prince Charlie.
对。
Yeah.
她是水那边的女王。
She's the queen over the water.
而你现在的问题是,我很想知道,希望我们不会剧透太多。
And you're what's so interesting now, I hope we're not gonna ruin this for people.
不过,我们确实要剧透了。
Well, we are gonna ruin it.
但我的意思是,如果你到现在还没看过这部电视剧,那大概也不会看了。
But I mean, you haven't seen the TV series by now, you're probably not going to.
而且书中的结局可能会不一样。
And the books may turn out differently.
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
因为他显然还没写完。
Because he obviously hasn't finished.
但你知道,这引发了巨大争议,因为在书的结尾、系列的终章,所有支持她的人们都感到非常失望,因为她变得邪恶了。
But, you know, there's this huge controversy because at the end of the books, at the end of the series, all these people who had invested in her were really disappointed because she turned evil.
你知道,她攻占了首都君临城,然后让龙对民众喷火,把所有人都烧死了。
And, you know, she captures the capital King's Landing, and she turns her dragons on the on the people, and they incinerate everybody.
而在最后一集,她几乎是以一种极权主义的方式统治,身后是成群的龙,成排的奴隶士兵向她行礼,场面宛如一场纽伦堡集会。
And then the very final episode, she's this almost sort of totalitarian style rule of the dragons behind her, massed ranks of slave soldiers kind of doing homage to her in this sort of Nuremberg rally kind of scene.
所有喜爱她、甚至给孩子取名为她的观众都感到非常震惊。
And everybody was very shocked, all the viewers who loved her and had named their children after her.
天啊。
Jesus.
天哪。
Oh god.
这结果完全出乎我的意料。
This just hasn't turned out as I expected.
但我很喜欢这一点。
But I loved that.
实际上我认为那非常好,而且非常贴近现实,因为我的意思是,也许你会从某种角度思考,你知道,你说,这本质上是一种伯克式的观点,她摧毁了所有这些传统,而她有点像罗伯斯庇尔式的人物。
I actually thought that was very good and very true to life because it was I mean, maybe you would think that from, you know, you say, this is the essence of sort of Burkeanism that she's destroyed all these traditions, and and it's she's a sort of Rob Spier figure.
这有点呼应我们之前关于法国革命的播客内容。
Get a little nodding back to our our French Revolution podcast.
她充满了理想主义,但这却让她变成了一个可怕的怪物。
She's suffused with idealism, but it's turned her into this dreadful monster.
而我,我认为这实际上非常符合她角色以及这部剧的内在逻辑。
And I I thought that was actually pretty true to the logic of her character and of the show.
我觉得
I think
在结局的方式上,我们俩都属于极少数派。
both of us are in a massive minority in a matter of the way that it ended.
是的,我确实这么觉得。
I I I yeah.
我也喜欢《线报》的结局方式。
I I like the way that, Line of Duty ended as well.
哦,这太疯狂了。
Oh, that is madness.
好了,多米尼克,既然我们谈到丹妮莉丝·坦格利安,保罗·邓肯有个问题。
Well, Dominic, while we're on the subject of Daenerys Targaryen, there's a question from Paul Duncan.
历史上谁最像丹妮莉丝·坦格利安?
Who from history is the best comparison to Daenerys Targaryen?
有没有哪个觊觎王位者像她一样严重偏离了初衷?
Did any pretenders get as massively sidetracked as she does?
显然你已经想到了
So You've obviously got
因为如果你不会问这个问题,你就不会得到答案
an answer because you wouldn't have asked it if you
不会。
No.
不会。
No.
我们刚才在讨论丹妮莉丝·坦格利安。
We were talking about Daenerys Targaryen.
我正在这里思考。
I'm thinking on the hoop here.
她被嫁给了一个野蛮人国王。
She so she gets married off to a barbarian king.
是的。
Yeah.
哦。
Oh.
还有一位罗马皇后。
And there was a Roman empress.
嗯,是一位皇帝的女儿,
Well, a daughter of of of an emperor,
狄奥多西,我知道你想说什么。
Theodosus I know where you're going with this.
是的。
Yeah.
他是最后一位统治罗马帝国东西两部分的罗马皇帝。
The, who who the last Roman emperor to rule both the eastern western halves of the Roman empire.
她叫加拉·普拉西提阿,在公元410年罗马被洗劫后,她被西哥特人俘虏,最终嫁给了西哥特国王。
She was called Galla Placidia, And she, basically got captured by the Visigoths after the sack of Rome in 04/10, and she ends up, marrying the Visigothic king.
所以我觉得这算是一个有趣的平行对照,虽然可能有点牵强,但
So I think that's that's a kind of interesting parallel, maybe kind of flaky to my But
但朱迪思·赫伦在她的书《复仇》中提到了她。
but but Judith Herron writes about her in her book, Revenge.
对。
Right.
是的。
Yes.
对。
Yes.
因为她后来就像丹妮莉丝一样,离开了她的丈夫,回到罗马权力中心,成为了一位重要的母系人物。
Because she she then rather like Daenerys does, she leaves her her husband and goes back to the the Roman centers of power and becomes a kind of great matriarchal figure.
但还有另一位人物。
But there is another figure.
我们已经讨论过,龙基本上可以看作是西方空中力量的象征。
So we've talked about how dragons basically, you know, you you can see that there are parallels there to Western air power.
而丹妮莉丝则以一种略显过时的方式,自视为一位伟大的自由解放者。
And Daenerys sees herself as, you know, rather anachronistically as a kind of great liberal liberator.
她是一个机动性强的武力。
She's willing mobile force.
将自由带给远方受压迫的民众。
Bringing bringing freedom to oppressed masses in far off lands.
但这样做却造成了可怕的混乱与破坏。
So but wrecking terrible havoc and destruction by doing so.
因此,除了加拉·普拉西提阿之外,丹妮莉丝·坦格利安身上或许也带有托尼·布莱尔的影子。
So I would say, as well as Gala Placidia, perhaps there's an element in Daenerys Targaryen of Tony Blair.
托尼·布莱尔。
Tony Blair.
天哪。
Oh my word.
我完全没料到这一点。
I didn't see that coming.
艾米莉亚·克拉克?我可不觉得她长得像托尼·布莱尔。
That's a Emilia Clarke, I don't see her as a dead ringer for Tony Blair.
我觉得她演不出那种感觉。
I don't think she could carry that off.
你真的认为丹妮莉丝·坦格利安就像你看到的那样
You honestly think Daenerys Targaryen is like You saw
托尼,你最近看到托尼的长发了吗?
Tony's you saw Tony's long hair recently?
实际上,这是真的。
Actually, that's true.
他确实这么做了。
He did that.
坦格利安家族的外貌跟他很像。
Targaryen look to him.
是的。
Yeah.
他确实这么做了。
He did.
意思是,有点憔悴的样子。
Mean, it's kind of slightly ravaged.
那么,你打算怎么解释这一点?
So so how are you gonna justify this?
他是她是最第三条路。
He's she's the third way.
她
She
不。
No.
因为布莱尔在全球派出了许多军事任务,比如塞拉利昂、波斯尼亚。
Because because Blair sent out lots of military missions around the world, Sierra Leone, to Bosnia.
科索沃。
Kosovo.
是的。
Yeah.
科索沃,你知道的,到处帮助受压迫的人民。
Kosovo, you know, helping out oppressed peoples everywhere.
是的。
Yeah.
在科索沃不是有一座他的雕像吗?我觉得。
There's a statue of him, isn't there, in Kosovo, I think?
然后他试图在伊拉克故技重施,结果一切都变得一团糟,所有东西都被毁了。
And then he tries to pull the same trick in Iraq and it all gets horribly wrong and everything gets devastated.
哇哦。
So Wow.
这就是我的观点。
That's my case.
哇。
Wow.
丹妮莉丝·坦格利安的整个故事其实是一个寓言。
That The whole story of Daenerys Targaryen is parable back
如果历史出版这条路走不通,我觉得你可以写一本关于丹妮莉丝·坦格利安和托尼·布莱尔的平行传记。
to If you're if the history publishing doesn't work out, I think you should write a parallel biography of Daenerys Targaryen and Tony Blair.
我觉得这是对的。
I think that's right.
我来告诉你我觉得《权力的游戏》有趣的地方。
I'll tell you what I think is interesting about Game of Thrones.
他们告诉我,我很惊讶你还没提到这一点。
They're told I'm surprised you haven't brought this up.
我觉得是它的那种气质。
I think it's the sort of the sensibility of it.
所以这种气质和《魔戒》截然不同。
So the sensibility is so different from the Lord of the Rings.
我认为这正是很多人将其视为一种——虽然不是完全反托尔金,但确实有点像
And I think that's the I mean, that's basically what a lot of people have seen this as as a kind of it's not quite an anti Tolkien, but it's kind of a
确实是吧,不是吗?
It is though, isn't it?
它确实是明显如此。
It was kind of overtly.
我的意思是,难道不是吗?
I mean, didn't
我的意思是,菲利普·普尔曼才是反托尔金的人,对吧?
Well, Philip Pullman is the anti Tolkien, isn't he?
我的意思是,他
I mean, he's
他是反反纳尼亚的人。
the anti anti the anti Narnia.
是的。
Yes.
他确实是。
He is.
你说得对。
You're right.
没错。
Right.
我认为马丁是反托尔金式的,因为他曾 famously 问过,阿拉贡的税收政策是什么?
I think I think Martin is the anti Tolkien because he he famously says, what was Aragorn's tax policy?
而且,你知道,他提出了关于那些婴儿兽人后来怎么样了之类的难题
And, you know, he asked difficult questions about what happened to the baby orcs and
是的。
Yeah.
你知道,谁会在乎阿拉贡的税收政策呢?
You know, who cares about Arachon's tax policy?
有人真的读过《指环王》然后去思考刚铎的所得税问题吗?
Does does anyone read the Lord of
《指环王》的读者真的会去思考刚铎的所得税问题吗?
the Rings and really ask themselves about income tax in Gondor?
我的意思是,这确实引出了一个有趣的观点,也许我们可以在广告后讨论一下。
Well, I mean, it does open an interesting point that perhaps we should come to after a break.
但《权力的游戏》粉丝经常说,它比……更真实。
But one of the things that fans of Game of Thrones often say is that it's much more accurate than Yeah.
我们可以说,它比《指环王》更真实。
Let's say, than than Lord of the Rings.
它对生活,尤其是中世纪时期的生活,进行了真实的描绘。
And it gives an accurate portrayal of what life was like, particularly in the Middle Ages.
我完全不同意。
I could not disagree more.
我认为它作为对中世纪的描绘是极其不准确的。
I it is it is massively inaccurate as a portrayal
中世纪的生活。
of the middle ages.
我想,我已经公开表达过我的观点了。
I think that that that I've, you know, I've gone on record.
我说我非常喜欢它。
I said I absolutely love it.
我在读这些书的时候,完全被吸引住了。
I kind of completely hooked when I was reading the books.
我认为它有很多地方确实像镜子一样映照出真实的历史事件。
I think there's loads about it that does hold up fascinating mirrors to to actual events.
但我认为,如果你对中世纪历史有任何兴趣,这就有点问题了。
But I think that it is a you know, if you have any interest in in in medieval history, it's a slight problem.
《权力的游戏》现在极大地影响了很多人对中世纪的看法和理解。
The Game of Thrones now has this huge influence on how lots of people see and interpret the Middle Ages.
为什么?
Why?
你最大的问题是什么?你最大的不满是什么?
What's your biggest what's your great what's your what's your big complaint?
你最大的问题是?
What's your biggest Should
我们是不是该在广告后再说这个?
we should we come to that after the break?
哦,是要说那个C开头的词吗?
Oh, is it gonna be the c word?
是的。
Yeah.
也许吧。
Maybe.
哦,各位女士们先生们,举起你们的酒杯。
Oh, ladies and gentlemen, charge your glasses.
那些在玩汤姆·霍兰德饮酒游戏的人。
Those people who are playing the Tom Holland drinking game.
我觉得他会在广告后谈论基督教。
I think he will be talking about Christianity after the break.
我非常期待。
I look forward to it.
马上回来。
See you in a second.
欢迎回到《历史其余部分》。
Welcome back to The Rest is History.
汤姆·霍兰德即将开始讨论《权力的游戏》的合理性。
Tom Holland is about to embark on a discussion of the sensibility of Game of Thrones.
我认为他会谈到基督教。
I think he will be talking about Christianity.
你已经提前收到警告了。
You have been warned.
汤姆,开始吧。
Tom, off you go.
你有两个小时的时间。
You have two hours.
嗯,我相信基督教话题肯定会涉及。
Well, I I I'm sure Christianity will will come up.
但我认为更具体地说,关于《权力的游戏》在多大程度上真实还原了中世纪生活,相比《指环王》是否更准确,这一点值得探讨。
But I think that talking more specifically about the idea that Game of Thrones in any way gives an accurate portrayal of of medieval life, a more accurate portrayal, say, than than Lord of the Rings does.
这种观点认为中世纪生活极其残酷,人们整天四处劫掠、强奸。
This is based on the idea that medieval life was unspeakably brutal and that everyone just went around pillaging and raping all the time.
是的
Yeah.
如此肮脏、粗暴而短暂,霍布斯式的。
So nasty, brutish, and short, Hobbesian.
没人会否认那是一个暴力的世界,但其暴力程度远不及《权力的游戏》所暗示的那样。
No one would deny that that it it was a violent world, but it it was not remotely on the scale of violence as Game of Thrones Yeah.
暗示。
Suggests.
我认为,《权力的游戏》在各个方面本质上都在传达一种十八世纪启蒙时代对中世纪的理解。
And I think that that that on all kinds of levels, Game of Thrones is essentially giving an eighteenth century an enlightenment idea of what the Middle Ages was about.
好的。
Okay.
这是个好观点。
That's good point.
对于启蒙时代的人来说,所谓中世纪,就是介于一个假想的文明时代——即古典古代,那时一切光明,人们只谈论哲学——之间的时期。
So for the enlightenment, you know, the very idea of of a middle age between a supposed civilized age, you know, classical antiquity when all was light and people just start talking about philosophy.
到了十八世纪,当哲学家们出现时,一切又重归光明,而其间的一切都被视为野蛮且暴力的。
And then eighteenth century, when the philosopher arrive and again, everything is returned to light, and everything in between is is is brutish and and violent
而且具有攻击性。
and aggressive.
时代。
Ages.
人们不停地互相屠杀,全是强奸。
And people just go around slaughtering each other nonstop, and it's it's all rape.
这并不真实。
I this is this is not true.
中世纪文明,我的意思是,仅从战争层面来看,中世纪的战争实际上要规范得多。
Medieval civilization I I mean, in many ways, medieval so just on the level of warfare, actually, medieval warfare was far more codified.
人们对暴力的约束更多,国家行为体发动战争的能力也受到更多限制,这比古典时期或早期现代时期都要多。
There were far more inhibitions about violence, and there were far more controls on the ability of state actors to wage war than there were either in the classical period or in the early modern period.
这是因为军队规模更小。
Well, because armies are smaller.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,他们确实是。
I mean, they're Absolutely.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yes.
对。
Yes.
所以《权力的游戏》中看到的那种暴力规模——比如攻陷城市、毁灭整个族群——那是罗马人热衷做的事情。
So the scale of violence that you see in Game of Thrones, that's the kind of know, so the storming of cities, the the the destruction of entire populations, that's the kind of thing the Romans went in for.
但这并不是中世纪人们普遍会做的事。
It's not what, by and large, people in the Middle Ages did.
而当你提到那个臭名昭著的例子时,比如第一次十字军东征在十月攻占耶路撒冷,据说街道上血流成河,这件事之所以被记住并流传下来,正是因为它是例外。
And when you get, the notorious example is, October when the first Crusaders seized Jerusalem and the streets supposedly run-in blood, the reason that that's remembered and and is kind of preserved is that it was exceptional.
这是例外,恰恰证明了规则的存在。
It was the exception that proved the rule.
那种规模的暴力并未发生,而且随着剧集推进,你看到的规模庞大的军队——这需要一个早期现代国家才能提供如此程度的暴力。
That scale of violence did not happen, and the the the vast kind of teeming armies that you get with, increasingly over the course of the show, again, this is you know, you need a kind of early modern state to provide that level of violence.
但人们不是常认为,所谓准确还原历史、呈现真正现代视角,就意味着要非常愤世嫉俗、阴暗沉重,充满性与暴力吗?
But isn't one of the things that people think is as mod isn't it so interesting that people equate being being accurate and being a sort of a properly modern portrait of the past with being very cynical, very bleak, and drenched in sex and violence.
是的。
Yes.
换句话说,人们会说,托尔金的作品太不真实了,因为人物彼此友善,有些人还很正直。
So in other words, people say, oh, Tolkien's terribly unrealistic because people are nice to each other and some people are virtuous.
而人们却称赞乔治·R·R·马丁对人性的描绘,认为它极其灰暗。
And people applaud George RR Martin's portrait of human nature, which is unbelievably sort of downbeat.
残酷。
Brutal.
每个人都极其恶劣。
Everybody is really horrible.
是的。
Yeah.
任何有德行的人都会死掉,基本上都是这样。
Anyone who is virtuous ends up dying, basically.
每个人都互相背后捅刀。
Everybody stabs each other in the back.
这其实反映了我们对权威的不信任,以及对政治的幻灭——我们竟然认为这种描绘才是中世纪政治的真实写照。
And and it's an interesting reflection on our loss of trust in authority and our disenchantment with politics that we think that is a true portrait of what medieval politics must have been like.
我的意思是,
I mean,
事实上,当时人们曾尝试各种方式来约束那些天生骑马、本就容易支配和残暴对待他人的男性暴力行为。
the thing is that there were all kinds of attempts to regulate the violence inherent within, you know, male male men with horses who, by their nature, can can can can dominate and and brutalize.
所以,再次说,十一世纪——也就是我们在十月那期节目中讨论的时期——见证了城堡的出现和骑士阶层的兴起。
So, again, the the eleventh century, the period, you know, that we talked about in in in the episode on October, the period that sees the emergence of castles, sees the emergence of of knights.
同时,这也是所谓的‘上帝休战’出现的时代,教会人士从教堂和修道院搬出圣物,成功迫使武装战士发誓不再残害周围的人。
This is also the age that sees, what's called the truce of god, where churchmen bring out relics from churches and monasteries and succeed in compelling armed warriors to essentially kind of swear oaths that they will they will not brutalize those around them.
我的意思是,当然这些誓言都被违背了,但人们原本假设它们会被遵守和遵循。
I mean, of course, these oaths were broken, but it was assumed that that they would be obeyed and followed.
而且,我最近刚读完《坎特伯雷故事集》,在 lockdown 期间读的。
And there was you know, I've just been read over the lockdown, was reading Chaucer.
而乔叟当然总是与粗俗、男女情爱、人们把屁股伸出窗外之类的事情联系在一起。
And Chaucer, of course, is always associated with with, bawdy and people having sex and people sticking asses out of windows and kind of things like that.
但在骑士层面,那些描写骑士行为的故事,核心恰恰在于他们不会四处强奸。
But on the on the knightly level, the the the the tales that deal with the things that knights do, the whole point is is that they're not going around raping.
所以在《骑士的故事》中,整个情节是两个兄弟骑士多年以来都倾心于同一位女士。
So in the knight's tale, the whole thing is is that that you have two two brother knights who spend years both hankering after the same lady.
他们并没有冲出去强行占有她。
They do not rush out and seize her.
是的。
Yeah.
即使在《女修道院院长的故事》中出现了强奸,这种行为也受到了惩罚。
And even when you do get a rape, so in in the wife of Bath's tale, that rape is punished.
整个剧情的核心围绕着他试图逃避因强奸罪而被处决的命运。
The whole dynamic of the plot revolves around his attempt to avoid being executed for committing rape.
所以,《权力的游戏》真正没理解的是,那些控制着战士行为的意识形态、道德和伦理框架——尤其是规范性行为的伦理——在《权力的游戏》中根本得不到体现。
So, essentially, what Game of Thrones does not get is the way in which there are controlling ideologies, frameworks of morality, ethics that govern how warriors behave, certainly ethics that govern, sexual behavior that are simply not reflected in the way that that Game of Thrones shows it.
实际上,我们已经收到了大量关于这个问题的提问,因为大家都知道你的偏好。
Well, we've had tons of questions about this, actually, because people know your predilections.
所以吉姆·朗赫斯特问了一个问题,谁最能体现人类精神,而维斯特洛是不是那种没有佛陀、基督和圣徒的阴暗世界,而正是这些人物让真实世界变得可以忍受?
So Jim Longhurst asked a question about who captured the human spirit best, and, you know, is Westeros sort of the the grimness without the Buddhas, Christ, and saints that made the real world livable?
卡罗琳娜问了一个问题,《权力的游戏》对基督教在中世纪的影响有哪些误解?
Carolina asked the question, what did Game of Thrones misunderstand about Christianity's impact on the medieval period?
好吧。
So okay.
所以有些人说《权力的游戏》,当然,我们这里有点在树立稻草人靶子,但这种观点确实存在。
So some people say of Game of Thrones I mean, we're sort of creating straw men here, but, I mean, they do exist.
他们说,《权力的游戏》比《魔戒》更真实,因为它描绘了一个存在宗教的中世纪世界。
They say Game of Thrones is more realistic than Tolkien because it paints a medieval world in which there is a religion.
有七位神,我想是七神信仰。
There's seven gods, I think, the faith of the seven.
有一个
There's a
还有一个非常有趣的改革运动,或者说是名叫高 Sparrow 的人发起的福音运动,由乔纳森·普赖斯饰演,他非常虔诚、简朴,带着他的门徒像一股净化之火,就像萨沃纳罗拉。
there's a and there's also this really interesting kind of reformation movement or this sort of evangelical movement by a guy who's called the high sparrow and who's played by Jonathan Price, he's very pious and austere, and he's this sort of this sort of purging flame with his acolytes and they Savonarola.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
我们有个关于这个问题的问题。
Well, we've got a question about that.
有人问,他是不是大卫·摩根?
Somebody said, is he, you know, David Morgan?
他们看起来就像萨沃纳罗拉和他的年轻男信徒军队。
They look like Savonarola and his army of boys and young men.
那么,萨沃纳罗拉,他是佛罗伦萨人吗?
Now do you So Savonarola, the Was he Florentine?
是的。
Yes.
他组织了‘虚荣的篝火’,号召所有佛罗伦萨人把他们的奢侈品扔进大火中焚烧。
Who the bonfire of vanities, and he summons all the, the Florentines to to chuck their fripperies into a great bonfire.
但他基本上掌控了佛罗伦萨,对吧?
But he basically runs Florence, doesn't he?
就像高阶修士在剧中明显以他为原型,一度掌控了君临城,成为真正的权力核心。
Seven or in the same way that the High Sparrow in the is clearly based on him, runs King's Landing for a time and becomes the great the great sort of power.
那么,我想汤姆的问题是,你认为这是否让《权力的游戏》超越了其前身,显得更真实?
Now the question, I suppose, Tom, is do you think this does elevate Game of Thrones above, you know, its its predecessors in making it more realistic?
我再说一遍,我认为这是一种十八世纪的观点,认为宗教纯粹是欺骗人们的虚假把戏。
I I repeat, I think it's a it's an eighteenth century view that that religion exists solely as a kind of fraudulent trick played on people.
因为它们其实都没有真正——这很有趣。
So It's because none of them actually this is interesting.
我认为,《权力的游戏》中没有人真正相信他们的宗教。
None of them in Game of Thrones, I think, really believe in their religion.
所以他们谈论七神信仰,只是表面应付一下。
So they talk about the faith of the seven, and they pay lip service to it.
但没有人真正经历那种内心的挣扎,比如天哪,我真的要下地狱了。
But nobody ever has these sort of inner crises where they say, sugar, I really am gonna go to hell.
这正是我所说的真正虔诚的人,但似乎没有人这样。
This is what a I actually genuine you know, nobody seems
除了狂热分子,没人真的相信。
to believe it other than fanatics.
就连那些狂热分子,其背后暗示的也是这一切都关乎权力与控制。
And even the fanatics are you know, this kind of implication is is that it's all about power and and control.
我的意思是,这是一种非常现代的视角,一种非常现代的理解方式。
I mean, it's it's a it's a very it's a very modern perspective on it, a very modern take on it.
正因如此,我认为托尔金的作品更贴近中世纪,因为托尔金本人是中世纪文学的杰出学者。
And that is why I think Tolkien is is truer to the Middle Ages because Tolkien, of course, was a very great scholar of medieval literature.
是的。
And Yeah.
他完全理解这一点。
He entirely understood that.
而且他自己也是天主教徒,所以他真的相信这些。
And he was also a Catholic himself, so it it he he he believed it.
而正如你所指出的悖论是,在《魔戒》中没有神。
And the paradox is, as you fixed on, that in Lord of the Rings, there are no gods.
没有牧师。
There are no priests.
没有宗教。
There is no religion.
没有寺庙,也没有教堂的等价物。
There are no temples, no equivalent of churches.
然而,整个故事却充满了一种神学式的世界观,这种世界观完全源自中世纪文学。
And yet it's saturated in a kind of theological understanding of the world that absolutely derives from, medieval literature.
是的
Yeah.
中世纪人对世界理解为善与恶二元对立的方式。
The the way that medieval people would have understood the world as being divided between good and evil.
《权力的游戏》则不是这样。
Game of Thrones isn't.
所以,那种表面的现实主义,我认为根本一点都不真实。
And so the the seeming realism, I think, is not realistic at all.
尤其是在性这个话题上,我的意思是,性行为,就像暴力一样,更接近古典风格。
And particularly on on the topic of sex, I mean, the sex, again, a bit like the violence, is more classical.
所以
So the
狂欢,人们吃着葡萄。
Orges, people eating grapes.
是的
Yeah.
现在关于古典世界的剧集有一个明显的趋势,就是展现罗马家庭中奴隶被随意对待的方式,比如奴隶。
There's a there's a real there's a real trend in dramas about the classical world now to to show the kind of casual way in which, you know, in a Roman household, slaves, for instance, would have been treated.
本质上,他们的各种孔洞就像尿壶一样。
That that essentially their various orifices are the equivalent of a urinal.
他们很温顺。
That that they are Nice.
他们的存在就是为了充当主人的体液容器。
They are there to be receptacles for the bodily fluids of the of the master.
这种现象在HBO剧集《罗马》中你确实能看到。
And and that is something that that you do you you see it in in HBO series Rome.
在新推出的关于奥古斯都妻子莉薇娅的剧集《多米娜》中也有,这部剧不错。
It's there in the the new series that's out about Augustus' wife, Livia, Domina, which is is good.
我推荐你看。
I recommend it.
《权力的游戏》中也同样如此。
And it's absolutely in Game of Thrones as well.
但这是一种更古典的诠释。
But this is this is a kind of far more classical take.
是的。
Yeah.
我们有一个来自德米特里乌斯·博格丹扎利斯的问题。
We've got a question from Demetrius Bogdanzalis.
对《权力的游戏》这一集期待值很高。
So hyped for the Game of Thrones episode.
希望别让人失望。
Hope it's not disappointing.
我想听听你对马丁作品中任何罗马元素的看法。
I would like to hear your opinion on any Roman inspiration that Martin used in his work.
但是
But the
宫廷非常罗马化,不是吗?
court is very Roman, isn't it?
君临城的政治。
The the King's Landing politics.
是的。
Yeah.
确实如此。
It is.
但我认为,它也深深植根于《我,克劳狄乌斯》,就像二十一世纪许多伟大的美剧一样。
But I think, it it's also deeply rooted in I, Claudius, as so many of kind of the great dramas of, of twenty first century American TV are.
它影响巨大。
It's hugely, hugely influential.
而且确实有朱里亚·克劳狄王朝宫廷的元素,以至于扮演乔佛里的演员,本质上是
And there are elements of the Julia Claudian court, absolutely, to the degree that, the guy who plays Joffrey, who is essentially
杰克·格里森。
Jack Gleeson.
杰克·格里森。
Jack Gleeson.
好的。
Okay.
所以对于那些没看过的人,他可能是这群角色中最令人恐惧的统治者,年轻且残忍
So he's for those who haven't seen it, he he he's the most terrifying ruler perhaps of the lot, kind of young, murderous
他是个青少年,
He's a teenager,
不是吗?
isn't he?
虐待狂,是的。
Sadistic Yeah.
青少年。
Teenager.
典型的青少年。
Typical teenager.
模仿《我,克劳狄乌斯》中的约翰·赫特。
Channeling John Hurt in, in I, Claudius.
他是约翰·列侬。
He's John Lennon.
继续说。
Go on.
继续说。
Go on.
他不是约翰·列侬。
He's not John Lennon.
他是约翰·赫特。
He's he's he's John Hurt
在《我,克劳狄乌斯》里。
in in I, Claudius.
拥有至高权力的约翰·列侬。
John Lennon with with supreme power.
总之,他无法继续下去了。
Anyway, he can't continue.
他长得特别像卡利古拉的半身雕像。
He looks eerily like a portrait bust of Caligula.
我一直很好奇这是否
And I've always wondered whether
是故意的。
that was deliberate.
但这种权力腐蚀人的观念,你知道的,至高无上的权力集中在一位统治者身上,然后用于性放纵和施虐,这更像是苏埃托尼乌斯的风格,而不是中世纪的。
But also that sort of idea of this of power corrupting, you know, of of of supreme power being incarnated in one ruler and then using it for sexual excess, for sadism, that's very kind of Suetonius, isn't it, rather than medieval?
嗯,我再说一遍,
Well, I I again,
我觉得这在启蒙时代的色情作品中确实存在。
I think it's kind of there in enlightenment pornography.
实际上,你知道,这更像萨德侯爵的作品。
Actually, I you know, it's Marquis de Sard, really.
所以,我,我,我
So I I I
我认为《权力的游戏》明显包含了所有那种中世纪元素,正如我们刚才讨论的,可能还有罗马元素。
I think that Game of Thrones is clearly, there's all the kind of medieval stuff, and and as we just discussed, maybe Roman stuff as well.
有现代元素,然后还有一种控制性的十八世纪审美,是的。
There's the modern stuff, and then there's this kind of controlling eighteenth century sensibility Yeah.
这种审美在调和着这两者。
That is mediating both of them.
它把中世纪世界看作是一个充满暴力的污秽之地。
Which sort of sees the medieval world as this sort of cesspit of of violence.
所以从这个意义上说,这就像是一种色情狂的幻想,你觉得吗?
So so it's like it is a kind of pornographer's fantasy in that sense, do you think?
是的。
Yeah.
在某种程度上是这样。
To a degree.
因为十八世纪的色情创作者确实就是这样看待的。
Because that's how pornographers in the eighteenth century certainly saw it.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
那这个呢?
What about this?
我们有几个问题关于一个人们总是提到的事件,我认为很多人都把它看作是整个系列的标志性时刻,那就是所谓的“红色婚礼”。
We've got a few questions about, an event that people always mention, which I think they see lots of people see as the sort of emblematic moment of the entire series, which is this event called the Red Wedding.
哦,我妻子萨迪问过这个问题。
Oh, my wife, Sadie, asked about that.
她问了?
Did she?
那你对这个有什么看法?
Well, this your opinion on that?
那个事件的灵感来源是什么?
What was the what was your was there a source for that?
对于那些还不是《权力的游戏》粉丝的观众来说,红色婚礼是这样一个场景:一位年轻的英雄国王,有点像亨利五世,对吧?
So for those people those remaining listeners who are not Game of Thrones fans, the Red Wedding is this moment where this sort of heroic young king is sort of Henry the fifth or something, isn't he?
罗柏·史塔克,他是北境之王。
Robb Stark, who is the sort of king in the North.
他来到这场婚礼,而你一直被引导去相信。
He he pitches up at this wedding, and you've been invited to believe.
你会以为他将成为整个系列中最伟大的胜利者之一,因为他如此英勇、正直且高贵。
You'll be led to believe that he's going to be one of the great victors of the whole series because he's such a heroic, such a virtuous and noble sort of figure.
但这场婚礼最终以极其惨烈的方式收场,史塔克家族所有人全都在婚礼上被屠杀。
And, basically, the wedding all ends really horribly, and and the Starks all massacred at the wedding.
这令人震惊,因为这违背了待客之道的法则等等。
And it's shocking because it's a sort of breach of the laws of hospitality and all that.
而且,这其实是有先例的。
And there there is a precedent.
当然,这涉及苏格兰的待客之道,对吧,汤姆?
So, of course, it's it's it's Scottish hospitality, isn't it, Tom?
这个先例是一场被称为‘黑宴’的事件。
The the precedent is an event called the Black Dinner.
黑宴。
The Black Dinner.
我认为这件事发生在十五世纪初。
I think it's from the early fifteenth century.
道格拉斯伯爵来到国王的宫廷,也就是詹姆斯国王的宫廷,他呈上了一个黑色公牛头,一个被砍下的黑色公牛头,这是一种象征。
The earl of Douglas pitches up at the king's court, king James's court, and he has served a black bull's head, a severed black bull's head, which is a kind of symbol.
你将死去。
You're going to die.
然后他和我猜是他的儿子之类的人被带出去,惨遭杀害,这件事因此被铭记。
And then he and, I think, his son or something like that are taken out and horribly murdered, and it's kind of remembered as this.
但我认为它被记住的原因是因为它太不寻常了,因为除了格伦科大屠杀之外,这种行为很少发生,所以苏格兰人确实有这种前科,但这类事情并不常见。
But I suppose the reason it's remembered is because it's so unusual, because this kind of carry on doesn't apart from the massacre of Glencoe, so the Scots do have form, but it doesn't this sort of thing doesn't happen very often.
确实如此。
It doesn't.
而且,这也不是一场婚礼。
And, also, it doesn't it's not a wedding.
所以中世纪的婚礼是一种圣礼。
So a wedding in in the Middle Ages is a sacrament.
而亵渎像婚礼这样的圣礼是非常严重的事情。
And to to desecrate, you know, a a sacramental event like a wedding is is incredibly serious.
所以人们确实在教堂里互相残杀。
So The people did kill each other in church.
我的意思是,托马斯·贝克特不就是在教堂里遇害的吗?
I mean, Thomas Becket died in the church, didn't he?
是的。
Yeah.
但是但是
But but
就在他自己的祭坛旁。
by his own altar.
但同样,有一个例外恰恰证明了这个规则:国王被鞭打着游街经过坎特伯雷。
But, again, with the exception that proves the rule, the the the king is whipped through the streets of Canterbury.
托马斯被奉为圣人。
Thomas is is enshrined as a saint.
这件事被铭记为难以想象的最震撼事件。
It's remembered as the most shocking thing imaginable.
再次强调,这种暴力实际上并不会发生。
Again, this kind of violence is it it doesn't really happen.
这正是关键所在。
That's that's the point of it.
但我想说的是,多米尼克,关于《权力的游戏》为何如此上瘾、如此有趣,我认为它确实提供了伟大历史剧所具备的一切。
But what I would but, Dominic, what I would say also, just on the on on why Game of Thrones is so addictive and why it's such fun, is that I think it does give you everything that a great historical drama does.
它让你感受到一个被奇特习俗和行事方式、家族关系所支配的过去时代,就像你从关于玫瑰战争或朱里亚·克劳狄王朝的戏剧中获得的那些体验。
It it it gives you the sense of being in a past period governed by strange customs, governed by strange ways of doing things, family dynamics, all the all the kind of stuff that you get you get from a drama about the Wars of the Roses or the Julia Claudine Court.
但因为这是奇幻题材,你完全无法预料接下来会发生什么。
But because it's fantasy, you have no idea what's gonna happen.
是的。
Yes.
这就是为什么。
That's that's why
我记得读的时候感到非常震惊。
this has the I mean, I remember reading it and go being devastated.
还有那段著名的视频,人们观看它的电视改编版时的反应。
And there's the famous footage of people watching it on the on the TV adaptation.
他们甚至用枕头盖住头,尖叫起来。
They kinda go putting pillows over their heads and screaming.
谁会录下自己观看电视节目的过程,指望它会爆红?
Who films themselves watching a TV program on the off charts that they're gonna be
走红。
Go viral.
对。
Yeah.
你永远不会
You'd never you
但你要是看莎士比亚的《理查三世》戏剧,就永远体会不到那种感觉。
but but you'd never get that watching, you know, Shakespeare play about Richard the third.
你知道塔里的王子们会遭遇不测,因为那就是
You know the princes in the tower are gonna get it because that's
是的。
Yes.
发生了。
Happened.
是的。
Yeah.
但实施这一切的人,难道没有遭受一种非常莎士比亚式的命运吗?
But doesn't actually, doesn't the guy who perpetrates it, doesn't he suffer a very Shakespearean fate?
他不是被做成肉派,吃了自己孩子吗?还是类似的事情?
Isn't he served his own children in a pie or something like that?
是吗?
Is he?
是的。
Yeah.
我想不起来了。
I can't remember.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得他是,这非常莎士比亚式。
I think he is, and that which is very Shakespearean.
我们多问些问题吧,因为我们应该让听众觉得我们认真对待他们、爱他们,而我们确实如此。
Let's do loads of questions because we should give the listeners the impression that we take them seriously and love them, which we do.
我们确实如此。
We do.
但我们应该通过回答他们的问题来做到这一点,而不是忽视这张厚厚的一叠纸
But we should do it by answering their questions rather than ignoring this colossal ream of paper that we've got
就在我们面前。
in front of us.
所以我们这里还有另一个来自保罗·邓肯的问题。
So We've got another question here from Paul Duncan.
说吧。
Go on.
他一直在抢占舞台。
He was really hogging the stage
嗯,他会很高兴的。
Well, he's gonna be happy
是的。
Yeah.
即使其他人不高兴。
Even if no one else is.
有没有关于瓦雷利亚毁灭的历史类比?
Is there any historical comparison to the doom of Valyria?
瓦雷利亚是一个古老的文明,已经被摧毁并被海水或火焰吞噬了。
So Valyria is this this old ancient civilization that has been destroyed and kind of swallowed up by the waters or something or the flames
或者什么的。
or Something
类似这样。
like that.
是的。
Yeah.
类似这样。
Something like that.
这不就是亚特兰蒂斯吗?
So it's clear Atlantis, isn't it?
或者你还有别的说法。
Or have you got some other Yeah.
别的东西?
Something else?
我想,文明确实会遭遇末日般的命运。
I suppose it's a you know, civilizations do suffer apocalyptic fates.
我们刚讨论过阿兹特克人,是吧。
We did the Aztecs Yeah.
就在几周前,我们不是刚谈过吗?
Just a couple of weeks ago, didn't we?
特奥蒂瓦坎。
Teotihuacan.
所以那是早于阿兹特克人的城市。
So that's the city that predates the Aztecs.
对吧?
Right?
那是之前存在的文明,但他们并不知道
That's the civilization that came before, and they didn't know
瓦雷利亚有点像罗马。
Valyria is kind of Rome.
在
In
《权力的游戏》中。
Game of Thrones.
这是一个曾经辉煌但已衰落的古老帝国,它的废墟如今
It's kind of an ancient empire that was great and then has fallen, and its ruins are
因为高等瓦雷利亚语是一种像拉丁语一样的语言。
Because High Valyrian is a kind of Latin that they speak.
它不是一种宏伟而尊贵的语言吗?
Isn't it a grand prestigious language or
类似这样的东西?
something like that?
也许还有一点像著名的盎格鲁-撒克逊诗歌中对巴斯废墟的感慨。
Maybe there's there's an an element also of the famous Anglo Saxon poem about looking at the ruins of Bath.
对。
Right.
想象这些令人惊叹的建筑是巨人所建,却完全不知道是谁建造了它们。
Imagining it as the work of giants and having no idea who could have built these these astonishing structures.
吉本凝视着罗马的废墟。
Gibbon looking over the ruins of Rome.
是的。
Yeah.
尽管他有所了解。
Although he knew.
他早已谈论过这一点。
He already talked about it.
他比任何人都更清楚。
He knew he knew better than anybody.
好吧,也许他并不知道,他不得不写一本500页的书。
Well, maybe he didn't know, he had to write a book of 500.
是的。
Yeah.
也许吧。
Maybe.
好的。
Okay.
威廉·詹森提了一个关于厕所的问题,我觉得你会感兴趣,因为你对人们在厕所里丧生的事情很了解。
William Jensen, he's written a question about toilets, which I think will appeal to you, because you know a lot about people being killed on toilets.
他说他在讨论历史风格与神话风格的区别。
He says is there something he's talking about the historical versus the mythical style.
他说,很难想象托尔金笔下的角色萨鲁曼或戴恩索尔会像泰温·兰尼斯特那样死在厕所里。
He says it's it's impossible to imagine Tolkien's character, Saruman or Denethor, being killed on a toilet like Tywin Lannister.
马丁的写作风格更接地气,我们觉得这更真实。
Martin is writing in a lower register, which we take as being more realistic.
这是一个关于语体的有趣问题,因为在中世纪确实有人死在厕所里。
Well, that's an interesting question about registers and because people were killed on toilets in the medieval.
你有没有一些关于这方面的精彩故事?
Don't you have some good stories about that?
蓝牙哈拉尔,他的名字被用来命名了
Harold Bluetooth, who gave his name to the,
这项技术。
the technology.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
蓝牙。
To Bluetooth.
他当时正在和他儿子假扮的分叉胡子作斗争。
He, he was having a he was fighting his son's feigned forked beard.
我们之前在播客里好像已经提过这个了吧?
Think we've already mentioned this on the podcast, haven't we?
而且他
And he
他叫十六六。
he Ten sixty six.
是的。
Yeah.
他下船后去上厕所。
He got off his ship, had a crap.
他上厕所的时候,被人从后面射了一枪。
As he was having a crap, bloke shot him in the ass.
所以,实际上,马丁这里很符合中世纪的风格。
So, actually, Martin has been true to medieval form there.
但他就在那里。
But it's he's right there.
这种事不会发生在托尔金身上。
It it wouldn't happen to Tolkien.
托尔金写的是
Tolkien is writing about
托尔金,托尔金,你那里有两个语体,对吧?
Tolkien Tolkien, you've there are two registers, aren't there?
有霍比特人。
There's the hobbits.
我的意思是,我同意他们不会被射中屁股,但他们确实会喝酒、抽烟斗。
I mean, I agree that they don't get shot in the ass, but they kind of you know, they have drink and smoke pipes.
烟斗。
Pipes.
是的。
Yeah.
然后还有高雅的部分,那是在向莎士比亚致敬。
And that's and then you have the high stuff, and that's that's going back to Shakespeare.
比如《亨利四世》第一部和第二部,有国王和贵族使用的崇高诗体。
So Henry the fourth part one and two, you've got the high black verse of, you know, kings and nobles and so on.
然后还有酒馆里人们说的口语。
And then you've got, you know, all the the the prose of, people in the taverns.
而马丁几乎完全使用一种语体来写作,我认为。
Whereas Martin is writing almost entirely in one register, I would say.
他写的是散文,对吧
He's writing prose right
贯穿始终。
right through.
因此,完全感受不到那种宏伟感。
So there's no sense of the kind of grandeur.
而且我认为,角色们也几乎没有表现出对这种宏伟的向往,
And there's no sense even that the characters really aspire to that, I don't think, by large, that
除了丹妮莉丝·坦格利安之外。
they're Except for Daenerys Targaryen Blair.
是的。
Yeah.
这很糟糕。
It's bad.
我只是喜欢这个比较。
It's only I love that comparison.
这是我从这个播客、实际上是从整个系列中唯一会记住的事情。
That that's the one thing I shall take from this podcast, from this entire series, actually.
萨拉曼多问,历史上真的有铁银行吗?
Saramandingo says, was there a historical iron bank?
我喜欢铁银行。
I like the iron bank.
所以这是一个存在于厄索斯的文艺复兴时期类型的机构。
So that's this sort of renaissance type institution, which exists in Essos.
我想不起是哪个城市了,那是在东大陆,他们资助了大量战争,对吧?
I can't remember which city, which is the Eastern Continent, and they're bankrolling a lot of the war, aren't they?
他们基本上就是意大利的银行,对吧?
They're basically Italian banks, aren't they?
他们有点像意大利的,是的。
They're sort of Italian Yeah.
威尼斯的、佛罗伦萨的或热那亚的。
Venetian or Florentine or Genoese.
但实际上并没有。
There isn't really, though.
因为铁金库的特点不就是,如果你违约了,他们会来找你吗?
Because isn't the thing about the the iron bank that it it kind of if you default on your debts, they will come and get you.
是的。
Yes.
所以他们就像一个黑手党银行。
So they're a kind of mafia bank.
是的。
Yes.
我想是的。
I suppose so.
我想是的。
Suppose so.
而中世纪的国王们一旦违约,银行就会倒闭。
Whereas medieval kings had had you know, they would default, then the banks would go bust.
是的。
Yeah.
我想是这样的。
I suppose that's yes.
我想佛罗伦萨人可能没有足够的手段,如果你借钱了,他们大概也做不了什么,我不知道。
I suppose the Florentines didn't have sufficient you know, if you did borrow money, they they probably couldn't do I don't know.
他们能对此做些什么吗?
Could they do much about it?
他们能派雇佣兵去抓你吗?
Could they send mercenaries to go and get you or something?
嗯,我想你可以资助一个竞争对手国王,对吧?
Well, I suppose you could sponsor a rival king, couldn't you?
是的。
Yeah.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。