本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你好。
Hello there.
我是克里斯·安德森。
This is Chris Anderson.
欢迎来到TED访谈。
Welcome to the TED interview.
在本系列TED访谈中,我们将深入探讨慷慨的各个方面。
So, in this series of the TED interview, we're diving into generosity in all its aspects.
我逐渐相信,这是人类最具核心意义的理念,因为其他一切都有赖于它。
I've come to believe this is the single most important idea in the human arsenal because everything else depends on it.
我写过一本关于这个理念的书,名叫《传染性的慷慨》。
It's an idea I wrote a book about called Infectious Generosity.
本着慷慨的精神,我们为TED访谈的听众免费提供电子书和有声书。
And in the spirit of generosity, we're offering free copies of both the ebook and the audiobook to TED interview listeners.
您可以访问 ted.com/generosity。
You can go to ted.com/generosity.
填写那个简短的表格来领取你的免费版本。
Fill out the short form there to claim yours.
慷慨可以以许多不同的方式表达。
Now, generosity can be expressed in so many different ways.
今天,我们将聚焦于其中最美丽、也许是最美妙的一种——迷人的力量。
And today, we're focusing on one of the most beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful, enchantment.
迷人的礼物可以由艺术家、音乐家、摄影师、诗人、讲故事的人、电影制作人提供,而在这个时代,这种礼物可以通过网络分享给无限多的人。
The gift of enchantment is something that can be offered by an artist, by any musician or photographer, poet, storyteller, filmmaker, and we're in an age where that gift can be shared online to an unlimited number of people.
事实上,我认为这个事实有时让我们忽视了这份礼物有多么强大。
Actually, I I think that fact sometimes blinds us as to how powerful a gift this is.
我们正徜徉在一片免费内容的海洋中。
We're swimming in a sea of free content.
我们几乎没时间去反思这些内容能为我们带来的迷人体验。
We almost don't have time to reflect on the enchantment it is capable of bringing us.
因此,今天我认为,与其沉浸在狂热的网络世界中,不如退一步,认识一位将一生奉献给在全球各地、尤其是最意想不到的、她称之为‘破碎之地’传播迷人力量的人。
So I think it will be powerful today to step back from that frenzied online world and instead meet someone who has devoted her life to spreading enchantment to numerous communities around the world, often in the most unlikely places, the broken places, as she puts it.
所以我现在和莉莉·叶在一起,她是一位真正非凡的艺术家,如今已年过八旬。
So I'm here with Lily Yeh, a truly remarkable artist now in her eighties.
与其由我来讲述她的故事,不如邀请她亲自讲述,并与我一同探讨这种赋予人 enchantment(魔力)的能力有多么奇妙,以及这种能力能带来怎样的改变。
And rather than try to tell you her story, I'm going to invite her to tell it herself and to explore with me the amazingness of this ability to enchant, to lift people, and what can happen as a result of that.
莉莉·叶,欢迎来到TED访谈。
Lily Yeh, welcome to the TED interview.
谢谢。
Thank you.
这真是莫大的荣幸。
What an honor.
莉莉,我很想听听你童年的经历。
So Lily, I'd love to hear a bit about your childhood.
嗯,就是不停地逃跑。
Well, it was just a lot of running away.
我出生在中国,那时正值中日战争时期。
I was born in China and it was during the China Japanese war.
我妈妈的回忆录里提到,他们不断打包行李,不断躲避轰炸,寻找新的住所,路上旅行的艰难困苦等等。
My mom's memoir talked about constantly packing up, constantly running away from bombing and finding new homes, and try, you know, traveling on the road and the difficulty and so forth.
到了1948年,我家搬到了台湾,因为父亲是蒋介石军队的一名高级军官。
And then finally, 1948, my family moved to Taiwan, because my father was a high ranking officer in the army, Zhongguan Shek's army.
我们不得不为保命而逃亡。
We have to escape for our lives.
是的。
Yeah.
所以
So
于是你逃到台湾,并在那里继续度过童年。
So you fled to Taiwan and then continued your childhood there.
而且,我听说你父亲是一位著名的将军,但他却鼓励你成为艺术家。
And, I mean, your father was a renowned general, but he encouraged you to be an artist.
我理解得对吗?
Do I have that right?
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
我父亲非常喜欢旅行。
My father who who loves to travel.
但当我们退休到台湾后,由于各种原因,我们不能再自由地旅行了。
But then when he we retired to Taiwan, we couldn't travel so freely for different reasons.
他热爱中国山水画。
And he loves Chinese landscape painting.
从某种意义上说,中国山水画的构图方式让你可以真正进入画中,与画中人物一同旅行。
And in a way, Chinese landscape painting is structured in such a way that you can literally enter the painting and travel with the people.
我15岁时,他带我去见了老师田曼石,之后我就迷上了。
When I was 15, he took me to a teacher, Tian Man Shi, and then after that I just found I was hooked.
我深深爱上了它的美与宁静。
I just loved the beauty and the calmness.
从高中到大学,台湾大学七年的时间里,我大部分时间都用于画山水画,我非常快乐,是最幸福的。
So from high school to college, Tai Da University, seven years, I used most of time in painting landscape and I was very happy, happiest.
你把这种艺术形式描述为‘无尘’的。
You've described this form of art as dustless.
这个术语是什么意思?
What what does that term mean?
是的。
Yes.
在中国文人他们的诗歌和文字中,那种向往是通往一个宁静而纯净的地方,就像山水画中那样。
In the Chinese scholar, in their poetry, in their writing, the longing is going to a place that is tranquil and pristine like in the landscape painting.
这是一种宁静,尽管如此安静,却蕴含着所有的动感。
It's a serenity, even though it is so quiet, but it contains all the movement.
对我来说,它是一个能量中心。
For me, it's an energy center.
当我接近它时,我能感觉到自己的心跳加快。
When I'm close to that, and I feel myself, my heart beat fast.
当我接近那种能量时,它仿佛永远在更新。
When I'm close to that energy, it's like it's forever renewing.
你知道,这就像道家的阴阳,存在于黑暗与光明之中,是一种永恒的拥抱与斗争。
You know, it's like Tao in yin and yang, is in dark and light, is in eternal embrace and struggling.
但它们始终保持着平衡。
But they are always in balance.
所以它包含了光明与黑暗,用其他术语来说,就是善与恶。
So it contains the light and the dark and in other terms good and evil.
善的光明与黑暗。
The good brightness and the darkness.
这种平衡如此强烈。
The balance is so intense.
它就像阳光的透明性,蕴含着一切力量。
It's like the translucency of the sunlight that contains all powers.
对我来说,这就是超越的现实,他们称之为无尘的世界。
That to me is the transcendent reality, and they call it the dustless world.
所以这并不一定是对世界本来面目的描述。
So it's not intended necessarily as a description of the world as it is.
我们内心有一种渴望,想要更纯粹地表达出我们所经历的现实之舞。
It's there's a kind of longing for a purer expression of the dance of reality that we go through.
这就是生活。
It is life.
你知道,生活处于最宁静、平衡的存在状态及其均衡之中。
You know, life in its most tranquil balanced state of being and its equilibrium.
你是怎么来到美国的?
How did you end up coming to America?
为了学习。
To study.
你知道,台湾很小。
You know, Taiwan is very small.
而且在我成长的过程中,社会管控很严,因为当时仍存在很多政治紧张局势。
And also during my time growing up, was very controlled because there is still a lot of political tension.
所以我们的目标是到国外深造。
So our goal is to further our study abroad.
所以我来的时候,拿到了好几个艺术专业的录取通知书。
And so when I came, I got several offers to study art.
我最后选择了费城,因为宾夕法尼亚大学是一所历史非常悠久的老牌院校,而且费城本身充满了历史底蕴、文化气息和独特魅力。
And so I chose Philadelphia because University of Pennsylvania is one of the old, very old school and Philadelphia is full of history and culture and charm.
那美国人有没有接纳你的风景画呢?
And did Americans embrace your landscape painting?
是的,他们接纳了。
Yes.
刚开课的时候,你怎么可能不这么想呢?
At the beginning of a course, how could you not?
这其实不是我个人的想法。
It's not really mine.
你也知道,这是行业传统。
It's the tradition, you know.
但正因为如此,我才觉得自己陷入了一种奇怪的束缚里。
But because of that, I find myself in such a strange bound.
如果我继续这个传统,我就被传统束缚了。
If I continue the tradition, I'm bound by the tradition.
某种程度上,我觉得自己像被绑住了脚。
In a way, I felt like I have tight feet.
但若我挣脱了这种束缚,我就迷失了。
But then if I let go of the bondage, I was lost.
我在一片迷雾中迷失了多年,跌跌撞撞,困惑不已。
I was quite lost for quite a few years in a fog, stumbling, wondering.
顺便说一下,你知道,我生活在一个古典的、一尘不染的世界里,那真的很美。
And by the way, you know, I lived in the classical, this dustless world is beautiful.
然后我到了六十年代末,你知道的,六十年代末。
And then I come to the sixties, late, you know, in the sixties.
天啊,什么都变得可以接受了。
Wow, my God, anything is permissible.
你有学生权利,有抗议,有纽约庞大的艺术市场,艺术变得强大,诸如此类。
You have the student rights, you have the protest, you have the huge art market in New York and art is powerful and whatnot.
我只是觉得我不属于其中任何一部分。
I just felt that I didn't belong to any of that.
我常常感觉火车正在开动。
And often I felt that the train is moving.
我抓着车门,一只手拉着,试图爬上火车。
I'm holding, hanging on by the door, one hand holding and trying to get on the train.
那非常令人兴奋,也让人迷失方向,像一团迷雾,我的确花了很多时间才找到自己的路。
It was very exciting, disorienting and fog, you know, kind of I mean, I'm very slow in finding my way.
是的。
Yeah.
但你至少在职业上开始找到方向了。
But you did start to find your way, at least in professionally.
对。
Yes.
我的意思是,一条成为成功职业艺术家的道路逐渐出现了。
I mean, there was a pathway to becoming a successful professional artist emerged.
是的。
Yes.
我很幸运,因为美国有着如此美好的开放性、自由和人与人之间的善意。
I was very lucky because America has such wonderful openness and freedom and kindness among people.
所以我感到自己被欢迎和接纳。
So I felt welcomed and embraced.
由于我来自一种截然不同的文化,画廊对此很感兴趣。
And because I come from such a different culture, know, galleries were interested.
我毕业了,因为我拥有宾夕法尼亚大学的美术硕士学位。
And I graduate because I have a master in fine arts, you know, from UPenn.
这让我有资格获得大学级别的教学职位。
So that gave me license to get a teaching job on the college level.
是的。
Yeah.
从外部来看,我是成功的,但内心并非如此。
Externally, I was successful, but not internally.
然后在费城发生了一件事,彻底改变了你的人生轨迹。
And then something happened in in Philadelphia that that really changed the trajectory of your life.
我觉得这个过程似乎解答了你的一些疑问。
And I think the process seems to have answered some of the questions you have.
说说发生了什么。
Talk about what happened.
哦,我想我迷茫了好几年。
Oh, well, I think I stumbled for quite a few years really.
从纸上的作品开始,我转而尝试在画布上创作,并且把我的作品剪碎,因为我也不知道该往哪里走。
From the work on paper, I began to work on canvas and I cut up my work because I didn't know where to go.
我开始做装置艺术。
I start to do installation.
装置艺术需要空间。
Installation requires space.
所以我一直在寻找一个合适的空间。
So I was constantly looking for a space.
因为我一直在拼命寻找,我觉得生活给了我一个机会。
And because I was searching so hard, I think life offered me an opportunity.
然后,亚瑟·霍尔,一位非常著名的非裔美国编舞家和舞蹈家,他的基地位于费城内城的北区。
And then Arthur Hall, very famed African American choreographer, dancer, he is stationed in North Philadelphia in inner city.
所以他告诉我,他总部旁边有一块废弃的空地。
So he said to me that I have an abandoned lot next to my headquarter.
你知道,你擅长做室内花园。
You do gardens, you know, interior gardens.
为什么不在我的废弃空地上建一个花园呢?
Why don't you do a garden on my abandoned lot?
我当时没多想,毕竟年轻又有点鲁莽,就说:‘哦,好啊,为什么不呢?’
And I wasn't thinking, you know, being young and kind of so reckless and I said, oh, yeah, why not?
于是大家都写提案去申请资助资金。
So everybody was writing a proposal to get grant money.
我说:‘为什么我不也试试呢?’
I said, why don't I do that?
于是我向宾夕法尼亚艺术委员会提交了申请,结果他们真的给了我一部分资金。
So I wrote the proposal to Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and lo and behold, they gave me part of the money.
但当我收到这笔钱时,我简直震惊了——他们居然愿意为我这样完全不知道该如何操作的人提供资助,让我在城市废弃的空地上,带着孩子们打造一座艺术花园。
But I was so, so stunned that somebody gave me money in doing something that I have no idea how to do, you know, to create an art garden on an abandoned lot with children in inner city.
所以我当时完全害怕了。
So I was totally scared.
于是我问了一些专业人士,他们都说:不行,你做不到。
And I said, well, I asked professionals, they said, no, you can't do it.
你的资金不够。
You don't have enough money.
这点钱根本是杯水车薪,孩子们会把任何你建起来的东西都毁掉。
It's a drop in the bucket and kids going to destroy anything you built.
我想退出了。
And I wanted to withdraw.
但内心有个声音对我说:如果你不迎难而上,你最优秀的一面就会死去,剩下的部分也将一事无成。
And then the voice in me said that, if you don't rise to the occasion, the best of you will die and the rest will not amount to anything.
我说,让我试试看。
I said, let me try this.
我认为那是我做过的一件勇敢的事,它彻底改变了我的人生。
I think that was one brave thing I did, and then it changed my life.
我的天,你内心竟然有这么一个了不起的声音。
I mean, that is one amazing internal voice you have going on there.
我的意思是,当时你已经四十多岁了。
I mean, you were in your forties at this point.
是的。
Yeah.
你被邀请去打造的这个花园,可不是简单地种点花花草草那种。
And this garden that you've been invited to, I mean, we're not talking planting some flowers here or something like that.
跟我们说说你当时具体打算做什么吧。
Tell us what actually you had in mind here and what tell us
我根本一无所知。
what I had no idea.
当我这么说的时候,我说:‘好,现在呢?’
When I said now, I said, yes, now what?
所以我认为,无论接受过多少教育,都未能为我做好准备。
So I don't think no amount of education prepared me for that.
于是我说:‘好吧,让我去四处看看。’
So I said, well, let me go and look around.
然后我问亚瑟:‘我一个人做不到。’
And then so I asked Arthur, I said, I can't do it alone.
我需要帮助。
I need help.
于是他说:‘去找乔乔吧。’
And then so he said, go and find Jojo.
乔乔的名字是约瑟夫·威廉姆斯。
Jojo's name is Joseph Williams.
他会帮你的。
And he will help.
他是个万能高手。
He's a jack of all trades.
他会帮你的。
He will help you.
于是我去了他家,就在那片废弃地旁边。
So I went to his house right next to the abandoned lot.
而且有两次,他已经去别处了。
And then twice, he already went somewhere.
后来他告诉我,街上的传言是,有个疯狂的中国老太太想在这里建个花园,想让乔乔帮忙。
And later he told me the word on the street is that there's this crazy Chinese lady who want to build a garden here and want to Jojo to help.
所以他不想跟我有任何瓜葛。
So he wanted nothing to do with me.
但第三次,我跟他分享了和孩子们一起建花园的想法,他很喜欢这个主意。
But the third time I shared with him about building the garden with the children and he liked the idea.
于是他来帮我了。
So he came and helped me.
所以我们只是在外面逛逛,把铲子这儿放放、那儿放放。
So we were just out, you know, poking around and putting the shovel here and there.
然后我看到地上有一根树枝,突然有了灵感。
And then I saw a branch on the ground and just an inspiration.
我捡起那根树枝,放在废弃地块的正中央。
I pick up that branch right in the center of the abandoned lot.
我画了一个大圆圈。
I drew a big circle.
我说,从这里开始,我们要动工了。
I said, from here, we're going to start to build.
于是我们拿了铲子,开始标出这个圆圈的范围。
And then so we got the shovel, we start to mark the circle.
然后 neighborhood 的孩子们没什么地方可去。
And then the kids in the neighborhood, they don't have place to go.
他们看到我们在那儿忙活,觉得挺有意思的。
They saw us plotting around doing this and that looks like fun.
他们只是说:‘我们可以来帮忙吗?’
They just say that, well, can we come and help?
我有点精明。
And I was a little shrewd.
我早就准备好了铲子、铁锹,还有孩子们喜欢的东西。
I already had the shovels and spade and things kids like.
我说:好,来吧。
I said, yeah, come.
于是我们开始建造。
And so we start building.
我们就是这样开始建造的。
That's how we start building.
我的第一支团队是年龄从三岁半到十三岁的小孩。
My first team was little children from three and a half to 13.
那就是我的第一支团队。
That's my first team.
孩子的力量。
Power of children.
我无法充分感谢他们对我的引导。
I cannot thank them enough for guiding me.
但你们建了什么?
But what did you build?
我们开始建造圆形结构。
We start to create the circle.
我们挖出了很多砖块、石头等等。
We dug up a lot of bricks and rocks and so forth.
然后我们意识到,这个被遗弃的地方其实拥有丰富的资源。
Then we realized that this abandoned place actually has resources.
于是我们开始建造雕塑。
So then we start to build sculpture.
我们开始建造像树一样的柱子。
We start to build column like trees.
我当时太天真了。
And I was so naive.
我从来没建过任何东西。
I never build anything.
所以那些柱子建得有点塌了,东西也生锈了等等。
And so the columns were built kind of collapsed, the things rusted and so forth.
我说,哦,好吧,你知道,我们建的东西还不够好。
I said, oh, well, you know, what we did build is not good enough.
让我们问问该怎么正确地建造。
Let's ask how to properly build.
这就是我们最终成为优秀建造者的原因,因为我们有专家来帮助我们。
That's how eventually we became good builders because we have expert builders to help us.
然后因为我们的油漆剥落了。
And then because our paints are peeled off.
于是我说,好吧,我们来做马赛克吧。
And then so I said, well, we do mosaic.
我有个好朋友,马赛克艺术家以赛亚·扎加尔,他教会了我。
My good friend, mosaic artist, Isaiah Zagar, you know, and he taught me.
最终,它变成了一座马赛克雕塑花园。
And eventually, it became a mosaic sculptural garden.
所以,在孩子们、乔乔和不断壮大的社区的帮助下,你把一块被废弃的土地变成了这座雕塑花园。
So you turned, with the help of children and Jojo and a growing community, an abandoned lot of land into this this sculpture garden.
如果有人在网上搜索这些图片,只要在谷歌上搜一下‘费城北部艺术与人文村’就行了。
And if if someone looks at the images of this online, just have to Google, like, the Village Of Arts And Humanities in North Philadelphia.
我的意思是,这个地方变得非常美丽,开始吸引游客。
I mean, this place became beautiful, and it started to attract visitors.
你能讲讲社区里有人跟你分享过的故事吗?关于这个新花园对他们意味着什么。
Tell me a story of how something maybe that someone in that community said to you about what this new garden meant to them.
我意识到,你所看到的只是50%。
My work, I've realized that what you see is only 50%.
另外50%是创作过程。
50% is the process.
通过这个过程,生活发生了转变。
And through the process, life's been transformed.
我经常说,艺术带来的转变是通过环境影响到参与者的灵魂与内心。
I often say that it is from the transformation through art is through environment to the spirit and the heart of the participants.
我最初只和孩子们一起开始,但这个公园不可能只靠孩子们建造。
And I only started with children but the park cannot be built by children.
实际上,真正帮助我建造公园的是社区里那些失业、常常吸毒的人。
Actually the people who helped me to really build the park are the people from the community, jobless, often addicted to drug.
当我们的项目变得更加突出,比如冥想区域时,我们获得了首次国家艺术基金的支持。
Actually, when our parts are becoming more prominent like meditation part, we get a first time national endowment.
我们变得显眼了,于是有人说你不能和你现在的团队合作,因为他们都吸毒。
We are visible and so people say that you cannot work with your current crew because they are all addicted on drug.
有趣的是,当我邀请他们加入时,我并不知道,但人们来了,因为他们有事可做。
And the funny thing is that when I invited them to join, I didn't know, but people came because they have something to do.
这就是建设。
And this is building.
建造本身非常治愈。
Building is very cleansing.
然后一起为他们的社区建造一些美丽的东西。
And then building something beautiful together for their community.
这让人感到深深的满足。
There is just something deeply fulfilling.
所以人们会来,记者来采访,然后他们说这些人全都吸毒。
So people would come, then the reporter came interview, and then they say they were all on drug.
于是我意识到,哦,原来是一支吸毒者团队在帮我。
Then I realized, oh, well, you know, a drug team helping me.
于是人们说你不能雇用他们。
So then people say you cannot hire them.
我说,如果你家里有个人吸毒,你会抛弃他吗?
And I say, well, if your family have a person addicted to drug, do you abandon that person?
你会继续帮助他,对吧?
You continue to help, right?
那些想要帮助我的人,我也希望为他们提供一个机会,让他们参与进来,做这样一件充满成就感的事。
And those people who want to help me, then I want to provide an opportunity for them to step in to do something that fulfilling.
这些就是帮助过我的人。
And so those are the people who helped me.
在这个过程中,我父亲来观察我儿子工作,并告诉我,我儿子现在在工作了。
And through the process I have father came and observed the son working and told me that my son now works.
我为他感到骄傲。
I feel proud of him.
是的。
Yeah.
这太美好了。
That's beautiful.
我的意思是,你之前说这个建筑过程是一种净化的体验。
I mean, this so you you said this building was a cleansing experience.
这是一个非常有力的概念,你知道的。
That's that's such a powerful concept, you know.
我们今天花了太多时间彼此争斗。
So we spend so much time today fighting each other.
但如果你能以某种方式将这种对立转变为共同建设,似乎一切都会改变。
And if you can flip that somehow to building something together, like, seems like everything everything changes.
想想莎士比亚的悲剧。
Think of Shakespeare's tragedy.
那些是
Those are
嗯。
Mhmm.
人性中最令人不快的失败与黑暗特质。
Some of the most unsavouring failure, darkness qualities in human nature.
然而,正是从这些裂缝中,光芒透了进来。
And yet from those cracks, light come through.
如果你能将这种黑暗能量转化为创造能量,如果你能为人们指出一条出路,尊重他们的天赋、创造力,倾听他们,让他们的声音得以发声,并共同协作,创造出属于我们所有人、属于每一个人的作品。
And if you can transform that dark energy into creative energy, if you can show people a way out in honoring their talent, creativity, listening to them, allow their voice to rise and collaborate together to create something that belong to us, to all, to all.
没有什么比这更强大、更有疗愈力了。
Nothing more powerful, more healing than that.
所以这就是阴阳的转化,你知道吗?最黑暗的日子恰恰是我们庆祝圣诞节、迎接光明的时候。
So that's the transformation yin and yang, You know, the most ready for transformation is the darkest darkest day is when we celebrate Christmas, the coming of the light.
整个社区也都参与了这些马赛克的制作吗?
The whole community was involved in doing these mosaics as well?
这具体是怎么运作的?
How did that work?
你有教人们吗?
Did you teach people?
你们是怎么创造出这片广阔的马赛克景观的?
How did you create this vast mosaic landscape?
他们热情高涨,根本不需要教。
They were so enthused, they cannot be taught.
他们只是把自己能做的都放上去。
They just put up whatever they can.
我之所以学会,是因为我非常沮丧,他们没有按照我的设计来做。
And I learned because I was very upset that they didn't do things according to my design.
我说,算了,我要再停下来,把所有东西都刮掉。
And I said, you know, I'm going to stop it again, scrape everything off and so forth.
而生活通过我优秀的志愿者卡罗尔·威斯曼向我传达了信息。
And life spoke to me through my wonderful volunteer, Carol Wiseman.
她当时是PCA艺术学院的研究生。
She was a graduate student at PCA Arts.
她说,莉莉小姐,如果你平静下来,还有什么比这些小手为你瓷砖祝福、为你制作瓷砖更好的呢?
And she said, Miss Lily, if you calm down, and what better would you have other than those little hands blessing your tiles and making your tiles.
我明白了。
And I understood.
于是我任由他们去做任何他们想做的。
So I let them do whatever.
你知道,当你的艺术更加宏大、更有结构时,它就能包容不和谐,并增添动力与丰富性。
You know, when your art, when it's bigger and more structured, it absorb disharmony and it adds fuel and richness.
是的
Yeah.
然后我们变得更好,更有条理了。
And then we get better, we get better organized.
我给你讲个关于一个大人物的故事。
I tell you a story of big man.
我当时在做天使巷,我想做一个埃塞俄比亚风格的天使。
I was doing angel alley, and I want to do Ethiopian angel.
我说,这个天使必须来自非洲,因为这个社区里有很多非裔美国人。
I say it got to be angel from Africa for the people in this community, African American community.
于是我做了八英尺高的埃塞俄比亚风格天使,还画了彩,但我得教课来谋生。
So I made eight foot tall angels, Ethiopian style, and I painted, but I have to teach to earn a living.
所以这个大人物,他吸毒上了二十年的瘾。
So big man, he was addicted to drug for twenty years.
于是他悄悄来到乔乔这里寻求庇护。
And so quietly he came to Jojo for refuge.
于是我教他马赛克艺术。
And so I taught him the mosaic.
我引导他,他说‘在你的线条内’,我把马赛克拼贴在一起,最终,一块一块地,这些破碎的马赛克,他找到了治愈自己的方式。
I guided him with he said within your lines, I put the mosaics together and eventually piece by piece, the broken mosaics, he found a way to heal himself.
他曾以为自己会死在某个阴沟里。
He thought he would die in the gutter somewhere.
最终,他成为了社区里非常知名且最受爱戴的成员。
Eventually he became a very well known and most beloved member in the community.
我们一起合作了十六年。
We worked together for sixteen years.
很多马赛克作品都是他做的,后来在他带领下,他成为了村里的管理主任。
A lot of mosaic is by him, and then under him, he became the village managing director.
他和团队一起工作。
He worked with the crew.
他负责管理团队成员的吸毒问题。
He manages the crew drug problem.
他组织了匿名戒毒会议。
He set up the narcotic anonymous meetings.
我们收集这些故事,把它们改编成戏剧作品。
We collect those stories, we turn them into theater pieces.
他是最受爱戴的人。
And he was the most beloved.
人们前来想和他合影。
People come in want to take pictures with him.
我就问:‘为什么啊,大哥?’
And I said, why big man?
然后我意识到,因为他曾经跌得如此之深。
Then I realized that because he had fallen so deep.
当他重新站起时,他拥有无限的耐心、同情心和理解力,这就是这个过程的力量。
And when he rise up, he had infinite patience, compassion, understanding, and that is the power of the process.
这太惊人了。
This is amazing.
他的名字真的就叫大个子
His his name is big man, like, literally
六英尺八英寸高。
Six foot eight.
詹姆斯·麦克斯顿。
James Maxton.
大个子。
Big man.
哇哦。
So wow.
这真是一个感人至深的故事。
That that is such a moving story.
这让我特别感兴趣,莉莉,关于善意如何产生连锁反应。
And it goes to I'm I'm so interested, Lily, in how ripple effects happen through generosity.
我的意思是,你为这个项目投入了这么多时间。
I mean, you dedicated so much of your time to this project.
我敢说,作为艺术家或教师,你本可以在别处赚更多的钱,但你把时间投入到了这个项目中。
I dare say you could have been earning more money as an artist or as a teacher elsewhere perhaps, but you dedicated your time to this.
渐渐地,你吸引了孩子们参与,随后他们的家人也加入了进来。
And gradually, you involved children, and then their families got engaged.
然后像大个子这样的人也参与进来,改变了那里的生活。
And then people like Big Man got involved, a life there gets transformed.
他和你一起,将这些涟漪效应扩散到整个社区,使这个地方成为费城的热门话题,吸引游客前来参观。
And he then, with you, spreads these ripple effects through the community so that this becomes one of the talking points of Philadelphia, a place that tourists would come to visit.
这多么不可思议啊,一个起初如此不起眼的开端,竟能产生如此深远的影响,真正改变了整座城市?
How incredible is that, that what can start so unpromisingly can create these ripple effects that really make an impact across the city?
我认为这个故事讲述的是费城北部——我是说,城市中心——通常都是被遗弃、压迫和愤怒的地方。
Think the story is the broken places where North Philadelphia, I mean inner city, everywhere is usually a place of abandonment, oppression, anger.
如果你不了解,开车经过这座城市时,你会卷起车窗、锁上车门,充满那种恐惧。
And so if you don't know, you go through the city, you roll up your window, you lock your door, it's that kind of fear.
是的。
Yeah.
但当你真正进入其中,当人们意识到你并不是在剥夺社区的利益,而是在与孩子们一起工作,带来欢乐,你知道的,任何东西。
But when you go into it, when people realize that you are not doing it to take away from the community, but you're working with children and bringing joy, you know, anything.
然后他们看到了从未见过的美,因为我说,我本人其实并没有多少专业知识或财富,但我能带来的是激励我的东西。
And then the beauty they have not seen, because I said, I'm not a person really not with a lot of expertise or wealth, but what I can bring is what inspired me.
那些是中国园林、伊斯兰马赛克、清真寺、非洲建筑,还有绘画,等等。
Those are the Chinese garden, Islamic mosaics, mosque, and African architecture, and the painting, whatever.
我分享了这些,把我受到的启发带了过来。
And I shared that bring my inspiration.
因为这个地方以前没有任何先例,所以我们做的任何事都是被允许的。
And because this place has no precedent, so anything we do is allowed.
前四年我们一直失败。
We failed first four years.
我们成了笑柄,但我们没有放弃。
We were the laughingstock, but we didn't give up.
最终,我们建成了前所未有的独特事物。
And we eventually will build something that is so unique that people have not seen before.
当你来的时候,这里不仅仅是美,更是社区。
And when you come, it's not just the beauty, it's the community.
人们会过来和你聊天。
People come talk to you.
它就像一个大家庭。
It's like a family.
他们会关心彼此的近况。
They ask about each other.
他们热情地欢迎你。
They welcome.
它就像一种自然状态。
It's like a nature.
你有一棵果树,长得又高又大,开花结果,然后鸟儿来了,昆虫也来了,最终形成了一个充满滋养的社区。
You have a fruit tree that grows so big and bear flowers, bear fruit, and then birds came, insects came, eventually it become a nurturing community.
你知道,在这些地方,我们少了很多可以依靠财富和成就来掩饰的东西。
You know, in those places we have less to hide behind the veils of our wealth, our accomplishment.
我们更加赤裸裸了。
We're more naked.
当你真正相遇时,那是心与心的交流。
And when you meet really, it's heart to heart.
没有什么能比得上这个。
Nothing beats that.
最终,我辞去了终身教职,全身心投入到社区建设中。
Eventually, I resigned from my tenure position and then become, you know, full time throwing into community building.
我从村庄中学到的一切,我带到了全世界。
What I learned from the village, I took it all over the world.
我的意思是,很多人可能正处于人生的中途,他们正努力做些艰难的事,但进展不顺。
I mean, so many people are probably, you know, middle of their lives, they're trying to do something hard and it's not going well.
事实上,一些最好的事情确实需要时间来建立。
And the truth is, some of the best things just do take time to build.
确实如此。
They do.
你当时四十多岁,就开始了这个项目。
And you were there in your forties embarking on this project.
做了四年之后,你觉得自己还是个笑柄,但你依然坚持了下来。
After four years of it, you felt you were still a laughingstock, and yet you continued.
就在那一刻,这真是太了不起了。
And so right there, that that's amazing.
我的意思是,每个学者都梦想获得终身教职。
I mean, every academic dreams of tenure.
那才是目标。
That is the goal.
那就是最终目标。
That is the end goal.
你拥有了它,那就成功了。
You have that, and then you're made.
你安稳了。
You're comfortable.
你却放弃了它来从事这项事业。
You turn that down to do this.
太了不起了。
Amazing.
但我想问你一个问题,因为很多人会说,你看一个破败的社区,大多数人会认为,这个社区需要的是对服务、医疗、教育、住房、环境美化等方面的投入,我的意思是,这些才是奢侈品。
But I wanted to ask you a question, because a lot of people would say, you know, you look at a beaten up community, most people would say, what this community need are investment in, you know, in services, and in healthcare, and in education, housing, beauty, I mean, come on, that's a luxury.
你为什么要投资于这些呢?
Why would you invest in that?
你会怎么回应这种观点?
What would you say to that?
问题。
Question.
我认为人际关系,我们追求的不是表面的,而是深层的联结。
I think human relationship, we look for not superficially, but the bound, the depth.
所以一开始我所经历的是,你知道的,我谁也不认识。
So what I experienced at the beginning, you know, whatever, I didn't know anybody.
所以我们进来时,人人平等。
And so we just come in, we all equal.
每个人都尽自己所能贡献力量。
Everyone contribute what they can.
然后我们有了一个愿景。
And then we have a vision.
起初我们并不清楚,但希望打造一个能让人们感到快乐的公园。
We didn't know, but we want to build a park that people can be happy there.
随着我们不断进步,我们的愿景也变得更加美好。
And the vision form as we get better, our vision become more beautiful.
那么,什么是美?
And what is beauty?
美不是外在的。
It is not external.
美不是你能拥有的物质价值。
It is not the value that you can own.
展开剩余字幕(还有 184 条)
它不是装饰性的。
It's not decorative.
它是必需的。
It is essential.
它对我们的生活至关重要。
It's essential to our life.
它不是奢侈品。
It's not luxury.
我们说这个地方没有资源。
And we say this place has no resources.
我们看不见。
We do not see.
我们看不到那需要一双慧眼、一双充满同情心的眼睛才能发现的隐藏宝藏。
We do not see the hidden treasure that needs an enlightened eye, a kinder pair of eye with compassion to discover the hidden treasure.
这就像采矿,谁能看见钻石、黄金和白银。
It's like mining, who sees the diamonds and the gold and silver.
一切都隐藏在岩石中。
It's all hidden in rocks.
你知道,我们像开采油砂一样污染土地,对土地造成如此多的破坏,却看不到破碎之处、破碎之地和破碎之人中隐藏的宝藏。
You know, the way we pollute our land like a tar sand, you do so much destruction to our land, but we do not see the hidden treasure in brokenness, broken places, broken people.
破碎之地为完全崭新的思维方式提供了机会。
Broken places allow opportunity for totally new kind of thinking.
这真是太有力量了。
So, this is so powerful.
你让我想起另一位TED演讲者泰斯特·盖茨说过的话,他在芝加哥也做过类似的项目,曾被问到这个问题,他说:美是一种基本的公共福祉。
You're reminding me of something that another TED speaker, Theaster Gates, once said, because he has built similar projects in Chicago, and was challenged on this very question and said, beauty is an essential public good.
它是我们本质的核心部分。
It is a core part of who we are.
重建任何社区,都必须包含这一点。
To rebuild any kind of community, that has to be part of it.
我听得出你话语中的热情,莉莉。
And I just I hear the passion there, Lily.
我还听到了另一点,你说即使有些人外部认为这个项目在四年后毫无进展,但对你而言,它早已具有深刻的意义。
And I heard something else as well, where you said, even if some people externally thought this project was going nowhere after four years, internally, this was already deeply meaningful to you.
它或许回应了你曾在成功的职业艺术生涯中提到的那种迷失感。
It was perhaps answering some of the questions, the lostness that you spoke about in your successful professional artistic career.
我认为,破碎、机会和人们,以及他们在黑暗中所经历的深度,成为了我的指引。
Think the brokenness, the opportunity, and the people, the depth of what they have experienced in darkness became my guide.
它给了我一个机会。
It gave me an opportunity.
我曾长久地摸索,寻找自我,而通过在那边建造花园公园,我找到了进入我生命的入口。
I have fumbled so long to find myself and that through Building Garden Park there, I found the entry to my life.
一旦你找到了自己的人生,你就不会再想融入另一种人生,无论它多么辉煌,那都不是你的。
Once you find your life, you don't want to fit in another life that no matter how glorious it is, it's not yours.
于是,你把这个了不起的想法、这个非凡的愿景带到了世界其他地方。
So you took this amazing idea, this this amazing vision to other places in the world.
另一个改变我人生的经历发生在肯尼亚。
Another experience that changed my life was in Kenya.
我获得了文化大使的奖学金,我想是这样。
I got the fellowship to be a culture ambassador, I guess.
我只是运气好。
And I just good luck.
生活让我认识了亚历克斯·扎纳泰利神父。
Life introduced me to father Alex Zanateli.
他是一位非常著名的激进神父。
He's a very famous kind of radical priest.
他不仅帮助穷人,还与穷人生活在一起。
He not only help the poor, he lives among the poor.
他由穷人施洗。
He is baptized by the poor.
我谈过贫穷。
I've talked about the poverty.
我从未见过,我们任何人都从未见过。
I have never seen none of us have ever seen.
在这个庞大的社区里,人们生活在那里,大量回收垃圾场的废弃物。
It's in the huge community, live, recycle a lot of the dumpsite.
来自世界各地的垃圾堆,你知道的,那个垃圾场,他就住在那里。
The dump from all over the world, you know, the dumpsite and he lived there.
他有一座教堂。
And he has a church.
那就是有围墙的地方。
That's the place that has walls.
其他所有的墙都是用散落的材料搭建起来的。
All the other walls were assembled by scattered materials.
因此,作为一名艺术家,目睹人们不断在生死边缘挣扎,我能做些什么呢?
And so I say as an artist to witness people constantly struggling on the border of life and death, what can I do?
我说,我无法带来财富或解决问题。
I say, I cannot bring wealth or solve problem.
我唯一能做的就是带来色彩。
The only thing I can do is bring color.
于是我开始画天使,画那些天使。
And then so I start to what to draw paint and paint angels.
最终,我们画出了巨大的天使,让天使与人们生活在一起。
Eventually, we painted the huge angels and make angels out there to live with the people.
第二件事当然是卢旺达。
And the second thing was of course Rwanda.
我去了种族灭绝幸存者村庄,看到遗骨被收集在一个用混凝土封存的无名坟墓中。
I went to the genocide survivors village and I saw the bones were gathered in a unmarked grave cased in concrete.
幸存者说,每次经过那里,我们都像被杀两次一样痛苦,因为遗骨在雨季被雨水浸泡等等。
And the survivor said that every time we pass by, we suffer like we were killed twice because the bones were soaked in water in rain season and so forth.
于是我决定为他们设计一座种族灭绝纪念碑。
So I decided to design a genocide memorial for them.
然后他们说,你不能只是装饰它们。
And then they say that you cannot just decorate them.
你必须深入地下,把我们的遗骨妥善安葬。
You have to dig into the ground to bury our bone properly.
当然,我感到害怕,因为触摸骨头就是触碰一个国家受伤的灵魂,必须小心翼翼。
So I was of course frightened because touching bones is touching the wounded soul of the nation and gingerly.
但我还是说,你知道,你必须勇敢前行。
But I said, you know, calls, you have to venture.
于是,命运再次安排我有机会认识了中国路桥建设公司。
So again, life prepares that I had the opportunity to meet the China Road and Bridge building company.
他们当时正在修路。
They were building roads.
他们对我心生同情,帮助我建起了这座种族灭绝纪念馆。
And then they took sympathy to me and helped me to build the genocide memorial there.
我动员了整个社区,教他们马赛克艺术,还有来自这个国家的12名志愿者前来帮忙,我们一起完成了马赛克装饰。
And the whole community I mobilized taught them the art of mosaics and volunteers from this country, 12 people came, you know, so we mosaic the place.
有趣的是,他们最终变得非常熟练。
The funny thing is that eventually they got so good.
于是他们说:‘为什么你的瓷砖不够平整?整个国家都会来见证这件事。’
Then they say, why your tiles are not so even, the whole nation will come and witness this.
你为什么不去后座呢?
Why don't you take the back seat?
让我们把它做完吧。
Let us finish it.
这不就是我所说的成功吗?
Isn't that what I call success?
三年后,我们举行了一场盛大的仪式。
And then three years later, we have a huge ceremony.
我们把这个纪念地献给人民和当地社区,以及当地政府,以示对他们守护的感谢。
We dedicated this to the people and the local community, the local government for their safekeeping.
仪式结束后,成千上万的人前来参加。
Thousands of people came after the dedication.
他们说,我们的亲人现在可以体面地回家,在这片美丽中安息了。
They say our loved ones can come home now in dignity and rest in this beauty.
这就是卢旺达疗愈项目的一部分。
And so that was a part of the Rwanda healing project.
今天它依然蓬勃发展,我庆祝已经二十年了。
It is still going on strong today, twenty years I celebrate.
但当你谈论愈合时,这不仅仅关乎逝者。
But when you talk about healing, it is not just about the dead.
它关乎活着的人。
It is about the living.
当人们如此贫困,没有收入、没有水、没有设施、没有家,什么都没有时。
And when the people are so poor, no income, no water, no facility, no home, no nothing.
所以我们启动了一个多方面的项目。
So we started a multi faceted project.
首先,我们给了他们山羊,山羊可以繁殖,我们也为他们提供了土地。
First, we gave them goats, and the goats, they can multiply, and we've got land for them.
我们提供了小额贷款。
We have micro landing.
然后我们安装了集水罐,让他们有水可用,并邀请了太阳能专家。
And then we got water collecting tanks, so they have water and we invited solar panel scientists.
然后我听到了幸存者们的消息。
And then I heard message from the survivors.
他们说,来探望我们吧。
They say that come and visit us.
你不需要担心。
You don't need to worry.
我们过得很好。
We are doing fine.
他们叫我莉莉妈妈。
They call me Mama Lily.
我把这种本地化的微型贷款、养殖等都称为本地项目。
And I call this everything local micro lending, you know, husbandry, whatever.
我把这称为艺术的一部分。
I call that a part of art.
我定义的艺术是思维的创造力和方法的实施。
And the way I define art is creativity in thinking, methodology implementation.
这一切都是为了生活的艺术。
It's all art for life.
这太美了。
That's beautiful.
所以,莉莉,现在我想到了世界上的景观。
So, Lily, right now, I think about the landscape in the world.
在某种程度上,我觉得今天的互联网、今天的网络文化是一个有些破碎的地方。
And in some ways, like I see today's Internet, today's online culture, as a bit of a broken place.
有毒性、愤怒、刻薄和不信任在四处蔓延。
There is so much toxicity and anger and meanness and mistrust spreading.
我一直希望、一直主张、一直相信,各种艺术家在这里都扮演着重要的角色,去传播你一生所体现的这种迷人的礼物。
And I've hoped, I've argued, I've believed that there is a role for artists of all kinds to play in this, to spread this gift of enchantment that you have so embodied your whole life.
对于一个有创造力、正在思考自己能否参与这种慷慨行为的人,你有什么建议吗?
Do you have any advice for someone who is creative and who's trying to think about, is there something I could do here to engage in this form of generosity?
我认为首先不要去想匮乏,不要看到贫困就想着我能带来什么来解决问题,你知道吗?
I think first, not to think of of deficit, not to think about when you see poverty, not think that what can I bring to solve the problem, you know?
然后,试着去发现那些隐藏的宝藏。
And then maybe think about the hidden treasure.
当你想到,比如这些幸存者,他们一无所有。
When you think about, oh, this community like the survivors, you know, they have nothing.
我能为他们带来什么?
What can I bring to them?
不是以金钱或解决问题的方式,像你在大学里学到的专家那样去解决难题,而是与他们相伴,倾听他们的故事,听见他们的声音,陪伴在他们身边,然后创造一个新的空间。
You know, not in terms of money and problem solving, you know, what I learned in university experts and so forth, the solution problem, but be with them, listen to their story and hear their voices and be present and then create a new space.
我们之所以有如此多的冲突,是因为我们缺乏足够的空间。
The reason we have so much conflict means that we do not have enough space.
所以我们为了那一点点资源或空间而彼此争斗。
So we're fighting each other for the little resources or space.
创造一个全新的空间,让每个人都能进入,不仅带来金钱、物质或我们已知的东西,更要带来未知的事物,邀请所有人共同踏上一段相互探索的旅程,去发现并传递魔力、喜悦、欣赏与神秘感。
Create a new space where everybody can come in and bring in not just money, material things or what we already know, but bring something unknown and invite everybody to join in a mutual journey to discover and to bring enchantment, a sense of joy, sense of appreciation, something mysterious.
通过这种方式,一起创作——共同演奏音乐、讲述故事、一起歌唱、击打鼓点,节奏本身就能创造出一个不同的空间。
And through that create something, making music together, say story, sing together, beat drums together, rhythm right away that create a different space.
然后你邀请人们加入你。
And then you invite people to come in to join you.
然后你教他们这项技能。
And then you teach them the skill.
当他们学会后,就会继续做下去。
When they learn that, they continue to do.
对我来说,是绘画。
For me, it's painting.
你知道,在幸存者村庄,我们通过绘制简单的图案来改造他们的村庄。
You know, the survivor's village, we transform their village by painting simple designs.
然后他们继续画出自己的梦想。
Then they continued, paint their dream.
他们的梦想是直升机、电脑,各种奇妙的东西。
Their dream is helicopters and then computers, all kinds of wonderful things.
他们继续下去。
They continued.
最终,这种节奏成为了他们自己的。
And eventually this pace belonged to them.
还有什么比这个过程更民主呢?
What is more democratic than this process?
这是传播民主的自然方式,但不是从上而下的教条,而是自下而上的。
It's the natural way to spread democracy, but not from doctrine from top down, if from bottom up.
所有参与者,包括像我这样的发起者。
All participants, including the one who initiates in my case.
我能够继续下去,是因为我在生活中获得了如此多的满足、成就和滋养,再没有什么比这更好的了。
The reason I can go on because I get so much contentment, fulfillment, nurturing in my life, and nothing better.
快乐,满足。
Happy, content.
顺便说一句,你正在证明一件事,而很多人可能没有意识到:愿意踏上这段旅程,全身心投入与人们相处,然后奉献你能给予的一切,其结果就是如此。
You're proving, by the way, one of the things that I think not many people realize, which is that the consequence of being willing to follow this journey and to immerse yourself with people to then give what you can give.
这就是你的见证:你找到了自己,找到了意义,找到了幸福。
This is what your witness is, that you've you've found yourself, you find meaning, you found happiness.
然后,就这样,这真是一个惊人的交换。
And, poof, know, that's an amazing trade off.
我在想,莉莉,世界上现在还有多少地方依然充满着,你知道的,破碎的角落。
I'm thinking, Lily, about how many places there are in the world today still that are just full of, you know, broken places.
我的意思是,每个城市都有破碎的地方。
I mean, every city has broken places.
这是一群人、一群朋友可以共同开启、联手实现的事情。
This is something that a group of people, a group of friends could embark on, could team up together, and kind of make happen.
我的意思是,你是个了不起的艺术家,但这些项目能汇聚社区的创造力,或许就能让某些事情成真。
I mean, you're an amazing artist, but these projects can bring together creativity from the community and probably get something to work.
你是否希望这种类型的项目能在每一个破碎的地方得到重视,得以蓬勃发展?
Do you wish that this type of project was prioritized and was allowed to flourish and blossom and grow in every broken place out there?
我正等着你来组织,让它实现。
I am looking to you to organize, to make it happen.
真正的入口,在我们内心。
The entry is inside ourselves.
我们总是向外寻求认可。
We always look outside for approval.
一旦你找到了自己的人生,就不需要别人的认可了。
Once you find your own life, you don't need approval.
所以我们需要向内看。
And so we need to look internally.
我们向外寻求认可,是因为我们想找到幸福。
And we look externally for approval because we want to find happiness.
我们想要金钱来确保自己快乐,你知道的,物质上的东西。
And we want money to ensure that we are happy, you know, material.
但我认为,深层的满足感远远超出了语言的描述,它能让人安住于自身的福祉之中。
But I feel that the deep contentment, it's well beyond description and it anchors one in one's well-being.
人会获得幸福,也会找到快乐。
One gets happiness and one find joy.
然后我想起多年前在南苏丹有一个项目,非常非常危险。
And then I remember there was a project in South Sudan years ago, very, very dangerous.
我有一位好朋友住在文化垃圾场社区。
I have a dear friend in cultural dumpsite community.
她说,你能来吗?
And she said, would you come?
我们有老师。
We have teachers.
我们想把这所学校变得漂亮。
We want to make this school beautiful.
我说,我做不到。
I said, I cannot.
而且那时新冠疫情刚刚爆发。
Also corona just broke out.
他说,哦,太遗憾了,那我们就没法做了。
And he said, oh, too bad I couldn't then we couldn't do it.
我说,不,你们绝对能做到。
I said, no, you absolutely can do it.
这不需要艺术家。
It doesn't take an artist.
我们每个人以不同的方式、用自己的方式都是艺术家。
We all are artists in a different way, in our own way.
我只是向她展示了我能做什么,你知道的,我与幸存者合作的方式。
And I just showed her, I inspired her what could be done, you know, the process I work with survivors.
他们中没有人是画家,但我们只是简单地绘画和设计。
None of them are painters, but we just simply draw design and paint.
最终,老师和培训师接手了。
And eventually, the teacher, the trainers took over.
你知道,你为他们的创造力打开了一扇门,他们就能改造自己的校园。
You know, you open the doorway to their own creativity, they transform their schoolyard.
关键在于不要去那些非常珍贵的地产,因为你没有自由。
It what it takes is that don't go to very precious real estate because you do not have the freedom.
去那些被忽视的地方。
Go to and ignore the place.
然后你需要做的就是去那里。
And then what you need to do is just you go there.
如果你画画,就大胆去画,让一切成为可能。
If you paint, you bite the paint, you make things available.
你要倾听人们。
You listen to people.
你要和人们交谈。
You talk to people.
你开始敲鼓,享受乐趣。
You start to play your drum and have fun.
喜悦和快乐会自然地吸引人们。
Joy and happiness naturally draw people in.
所以我喜欢这个。
So I love this.
所以听好了,所有正在听的人,我给你们一个假设。
So look, anyone listening to this, here's a what if for you.
如果你像我一样,受到莉莉的启发,会怎么样呢?
What if you were inspired by Lily, as I have been?
如果你邀请几位朋友来共进一顿饭,又会怎样呢?
And what if you were to invite a few friends for a meal?
这是一种富有感染力的慷慨与好客形式。
It's another form of infectious generosity, hospitality.
如果你稍微幻想一下,本地是否有一个地方可以被更好地利用,从而发生一些改变呢?
And what if you were to do a little bit of dreaming about, is there a place locally that maybe could be put to better use, where something could happen?
你认识谁可以成为激发创意的火花来提供帮助吗?
Do you know anyone who could act as a creative spark to help?
启动这件事可能不需要太多资金。
It might not take that much funding to get going.
这正是我所听到的。
That's what I'm hearing.
这正是她的经历。
That's what's been her experience.
这关乎于赋能社区创作的艺术。
This is about enabling art created by a community.
通过构建这样的东西,我们可以发现许多关于自己和自身能力的新事物。
And that by building something like this, we can discover, you know, so many new things about ourselves and our capability.
莉莉,这些是世界需要讲述和颂扬的未被诉说的故事,因为它们改变了我们彼此看待的方式,以及我们对人类潜能的理解。
Lily, these are the untold stories that the world needs to be telling and celebrating because it changes how we think of each other and how we think about human possibility.
因此,我真心感谢你,莉莉,不仅感谢你花时间与我们交流,更感谢你所做的一切。
And so I just want to thank you truly, Lily, for certainly spending this time, but much more than that, for just all that you've done.
你绝对是我们的榜样。
You're an absolute inspiration.
谢谢。
Thank you.
感谢你给我这个机会分享我的故事,并希望借此采取行动。
Thank you for this opportunity to share my story, and hopefully, take action.
如此简单。
So simple.
好了,目前就到这里。
Well, that's it for now.
如果你想更深入地了解关于慷慨力量的这场对话,请考虑阅读或收听我的书《传染性的慷慨》。
If you'd like to dig deeper into this conversation about the power of generosity, please consider reading my book, Infectious Generosity, or listening to it.
由于一位慷慨的捐赠者支持,我们能够为所有TED访谈听众免费提供这本书。
We're able to offer it for free to all TED interview listeners, thanks to a generous donor.
你只需访问 ted.com/generosity,即可在该页面直接兑换电子书或有声书。
You just have to head over to ted.com/generosity, and you can redeem either the ebook or the audiobook right there from that page.
下周,我们将与有效利他主义运动的关键人物、苏格兰哲学家威尔·麦克阿斯基尔对话。
Next week, we're speaking with a key figure in the effective altruism movement, Scottish philosopher Will MacAskill.
我会问他关于有效利他主义运动最近的争议,以及将慷慨延伸至未来世代的伦理紧迫性。
I'll be asking him about the recent controversy in the effective altruism movement and the ethical urgency to extend generosity to future generations.
TED访谈是TED音频合集的一部分,这是一个致力于激发好奇心并分享重要理念的播客系列。
So the TED interview is part of the TED audio collective, a collection of podcasts dedicated to sparking curiosity and sharing ideas that matter.
本集由贾斯汀·谢恩制作。
This episode was produced by Just Shane.
我们的团队包括康斯坦扎·加利亚尔多、格蕾丝·鲁本斯坦、程班班、米歇尔·昆特、罗克珊·海克拉什和达尼埃拉·巴勒雷索。
Our team includes Constanza Gallardo, Grace Rubenstein, Banban Cheng, Michelle Quint, Roxanne Highlash, and Daniela Balareso.
本节目由莎拉·布鲁格剪辑。
This show is mixed by Sarah Bruguer.
如果你喜欢这个节目,请给我们留下一个评价。
If you like this show, do please leave us a review.
这真的能帮助其他人找到我们。
It really helps others find us.
这真的对播客有很大帮助。
It really helps the podcast.
我们每一条评价都会阅读。
We read every one of those reviews.
非常感谢您的收听。
Thanks so much for listening.
下次再见。
Catch you next time.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。