本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嘿,大家好。
Hey, folks.
我是蒂姆。
Tim here.
我与……合作制作的畅销卡牌游戏《郊狼》
My best selling card game Coyote, which I made with
在Exploding Kittens的出色团队协助下,刚刚荣获2025年Pop Insider最佳极客游戏奖,以及2025年Made for Mums玩具奖的最佳圣诞礼物奖。
the amazing team at Exploding Kittens, just won the Pop Insider best geeky game of 2025 and also best stocking filler in the Made for Mums Toy Awards twenty twenty five.
它在所有地方都在打折。
It is on sale everywhere.
价格很便宜。
It's cheap.
很容易上手。
It's fast to learn.
它有五分之四点八的评分。
It has 4.8 stars out of five.
人们非常喜欢它。
People are loving it.
访问 Coyotegame.com 可以找到所有销售商,但你到处都能买到。
Coyotegame.com will take you to all the retailers, but you can find it everywhere.
这是一款需要快速思考、更快大笑的游戏。
It is a game of thinking fast and laughing faster.
想象一下猜谜游戏结合传土豆,再加一堆脑力乐趣。
Think charades meets hot potato meets a bunch of brain fun.
这对大脑很有好处。
It's good for your head.
非常适合有10岁孩子的家庭,或者内心仍保有童真的成年人,或者不把自己太当回事的人。
It's perfect for families with kids aged 10 or adults who are kids at heart or don't take themselves too seriously.
很多成年人都喜欢这个游戏。
A lot of adults love this game.
正如我所说,它在任何地方都能买到。
And as I said, it's available everywhere.
亚马逊、沃尔玛、塔吉特,还有八千多个零售点,你想得到的都有。
Amazon, Walmart, Target, 8,000 plus retail locations, you name it.
所以请去试试看。
So please check it out.
我非常喜欢制作这个游戏。
I loved making it.
人们真的非常喜欢它。
People are really enjoying it.
它在网上有三亿到四亿次以上的游戏玩法视频观看量。
It has 300 or 400,000,000 plus social views of gameplay online.
去试试吧。
And try it.
这个假期享受它吧。
Enjoy it this holiday season.
再记住一次,去 coyotegame.com 查看。
Check it out coyotegame.com one more time.
那是 coyotegame.com,或者你购买游戏的任何地方。
That's coyotegame.com or anywhere you buy your games.
现在回到本期节目。
Now back to the episode.
在这个海拔高度,我能全力奔跑半英里,直到双手开始发抖。
At this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking.
我能回答你的私人问题吗?
Can I answer your personal question?
不行。
No.
我们只是在看我的生日,戴安娜。
We're just seeing my birthday, Diana.
如果我来弄眼睛呢?
What if I did the eyes?
我是一个赛博格,由活体组织构成。大家好,男孩女孩们,女士们,还有细菌们。
I'm a cybernetic organism, living tissue Hello, boys and girls, ladies, and germs.
这是蒂姆·费里斯,欢迎收听蒂姆·费里斯秀的这一期特别短节目。
This is Tim Ferriss, and welcome to a very short episode of the Tim Ferriss show.
时长大约在十四到十五分钟之间,内容讲述的是对我而言极其重要的一项练习,叫做‘恐惧设定’。
It is gonna be between, let's call it, fourteen and fifteen minutes, and it describes something that is incredibly important to me called fear setting.
这是我至少每个季度、通常每个月都会进行的最有价值的练习,在这些充满不确定性的时期,我频繁使用它。
It is the most valuable exercise that I do at least every quarter, usually every month, and I've been using it a lot in these very uncertain times.
它促成了我在事业和个人生活中最出色的决策和最大的成功。
It is responsible for my best decisions and biggest successes in business and personally.
它还帮助我避免了过度分析导致的瘫痪。
It's also helped me to avoid paralysis by analysis.
它帮助我避免了灾难性的错误,也避免了自我毁灭。
It's helped me to avoid catastrophic mistakes and also self destruction.
所以现在我想和大家分享这个方法。
So I want to share this now.
我觉得分享这个方法有一些紧迫性。
I feel there is some urgency to sharing this.
这段录音是在2017年4月24日录制的,也就是你们将要听到的音频,距今差不多正好三年。
It was recorded, that is the audio you're gonna hear, 04/24/2017, almost exactly three years ago.
这是我最自豪的一次演讲,当时在TED录制,而TED非常慷慨地同意我使用这段音频。
It is the talk I am proudest of, and it was recorded at Ted who has very, very generously agreed to allow me to use this audio.
因此,感谢TED,非常感谢大家。
So courtesy of Ted, thank you guys very much.
当时是在开场环节播出,并在全国的电影院进行直播,这足以说明一切变化有多大。
It was in the opening session and streamed nationwide in movie theaters, which goes to show you how much has changed.
到目前为止,这段演讲的观看量已达到七百五十万次。
It has around seven and a half million views at this point.
你们不必担心画面,因为我会在过程中详细描述所有视觉内容。
You don't need to worry about the visuals because I describe them throughout.
我描述的第一个画面是一张棕褐色调的,或者你们也可以理解为黑白照片,照片中的我笑得合不拢嘴,从大学时期起就从未如此开心过。
The initial picture that I describe is a sepia colored or black and white if you prefer photograph of me smiling ear to ear, could not look happier from college.
你们只需要知道这些就够了。
That's all you need to know.
最后,我想说,倾听有着惊人的力量。
Last, would just say there's incredible power in listening.
我希望即使你只是听,也能从中收获很多,但真正带来更大成效的是行动。
You will get a lot from this, I hope, even if you just listen, but there's much more power and results in the doing.
所以我建议你先听一下这段内容,如果可以的话,再去 tim.blog/ted。
So I would suggest listening to this, and then if you can, go to tim.blog/ted.
那就是 tim.blog/ted,在那里你可以找到视频,还能找到逐步的指导和实际案例,帮助你进行恐惧设定练习。
That's tim.blog/ted, where you can find the video, but you can also find step by step instructions, real world examples for doing fear setting yourself.
那么,不多说了,请尽情享受并希望你能从这段非常坦诚的演讲中获益,这是一场关于我最重视的练习——恐惧设定的实用演讲。
So without further ado, please enjoy and hopefully benefit from this very vulnerable talk and I hope useful talk on the most valuable exercise I do, fear setting.
这张我开心的照片拍摄于1999年。
So this happy pic of me was taken in 1999.
那时我正在读大学四年级,刚结束舞蹈排练。
I was a senior in college, and it was right after dance practice.
我真的很、真的很开心。
I was really, really happy.
我记得大约一周半后我确切身处何地。
And I remember exactly where I was about a week and a half later.
我当时坐在一辆二手面包车的后座上,停在校园停车场里,那时我决定要自杀。
I was sitting in the back of my used minivan in a campus parking lot when I decided that I was going to commit suicide.
我从产生念头迅速发展到详细策划,几乎就要跨过那道悬崖边缘。
And I went from deciding to a full blown planning very quickly, and I came this close to the edge of the precipice.
那是我离死亡最近的一次。
It's the closest I've ever come.
我之所以松开了手指,没有扣下扳机,全靠几个幸运的巧合。
And the only reason I took my finger off the trigger was thanks to a few lucky coincidences.
事后,最让我恐惧的是那种偶然性。
And after the fact, that's what scared me the most, the element of chance.
于是我开始非常系统地尝试各种方法来管理自己的情绪起伏,这被证明是一笔很好的投资。
So I became very methodical about testing different ways that I could manage my ups and downs, which has proven to be a good investment.
许多普通人一生中可能会经历六到十次重度抑郁发作。
Many normal people might have, say, six to 10 major depressive episodes in their lives.
我患有双相抑郁,这在我的家族中遗传。
I have bipolar depression, runs in my family.
到目前为止,我已经经历了五十多次,学到了很多东西。
I've had 50 plus at this point, and I've learned a lot.
我经历过无数次与黑暗的交锋,每次都认真做笔记。
I've had a lot of at bats, many rounds in the ring with darkness, taking good notes.
所以,我没有选择站起来分享什么成功秘诀或高光时刻,而是想分享如何避免自我毁灭,当然也避免自我瘫痪的方法。
So I thought rather than get up and give any type of recipe for success or highlight reel, I would share my recipe for avoiding self destruction, and certainly self paralysis.
我发现的最可靠的应对情绪失控的安全网,其实也是帮助我做出最佳商业决策的工具,不过那只是次要的。
And the tool I've found, which has proven to be the most reliable safety net for emotional freefall, is actually the same tool that has helped me to make my best business decisions, but that is secondary.
那就是斯多葛主义。
And it is stoicism.
听起来很无聊。
That sounds boring.
你可能会想到史波克,或者想象出这样的画面。
You might think of Spock, or might conjure an image like this.
一头牛站在雨中。
A cow standing in the rain.
它并不悲伤。
It's not sad.
它也不特别快乐。
It's not particularly happy.
它只是平静地接受生活赋予它的一切。
It's just an impassive creature taking whatever life sends its way.
你可能不会想到终极竞争者,比如新英格兰爱国者队的主教练比尔·贝利奇克。
You might not think of the ultimate competitor, say, Bill Belichick, head coach of the New England Patriots.
他保持着NFL历史上超级碗冠军次数的纪录。
He has the all time NFL record for Super Bowl titles.
在过去的几年里,斯多葛主义在NFL顶尖教练群体中迅速流行开来,成为心理韧性训练的一种方式。
And stoicism has spread like wildfire in the top of the NFL ranks as a means of mental toughness training in the last few years.
你可能也不会想到开国元勋们,比如托马斯·杰斐逊、约翰·亚当斯、乔治·华盛顿——仅举几例,他们都是斯多葛主义的研习者。
You might not think of the founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington, to name but three students of stoicism.
乔治·华盛顿实际上有一部关于斯多葛派的戏剧,名叫《加图》,这部悲剧曾在瓦利福奇为他的士兵们上演,以激励士气。
George Washington actually had a play about a stoic, this was Cato, a tragedy, performed for his troops at Valley Forge to keep them motivated.
那么,为什么行动派会如此关注一种古老的哲学呢?
So why would people of action focus so much on an ancient philosophy?
这看起来非常学术。
This seems very academic.
我建议你换一种角度来理解斯多葛主义——把它看作是在高压环境中茁壮成长、做出更好决策的操作系统。
And I would encourage you to think about stoicism a little bit differently, as an operating system for thriving in high stress environments, for making better decisions.
而这一切,某种程度上,正是从一个门廊开始的。
And it all started here, kind of, on a porch.
大约在公元前300年的雅典,一位名叫芝诺·基提翁的人经常在一座绘有壁画的门廊边散步授课,这座门廊(希腊语称stoa)后来成为斯多葛主义的名称来源。
So around 300 BC in Athens, someone named Zeno of Citium taught many lectures walking around a painted porch, a stoa that later became stoicism.
在古希腊罗马世界,人们将斯多葛主义作为一种综合体系,用于应对各种事务。
And in the Greco Roman worlds, people used stoicism as a comprehensive system for doing many, many things.
但对我们而言,其中最重要的一点是:训练自己区分哪些事情可控、哪些不可控,然后专注于前者,并进行相应的练习。
But for our purposes, chief among them was training yourself to separate what you can control from what you cannot control, and then doing exercises to focus exclusively on the former.
这能降低情绪反应,而这是一种超能力。
This decreases emotional reactivity, which can be a superpower.
相反,假设你是一名四分卫,投丢了一次传球,对自己大发雷霆,这可能会让你输掉比赛。
Conversely, let's say you're a quarterback, you miss a pass, you get furious with yourself, that could cost you a game.
如果你是一名首席执行官,因为员工的一点小过失就暴跳如雷,这可能会让你失去一位宝贵员工。
If you're a CEO and you fly off the handle at a very valued employee because of a minor infraction, that could cost you the employee.
如果你是一名大学生,正陷入恶性循环,感到无助和绝望且持续下去,这可能会夺走你的生命。
If you're a college student who, say, is in a downward spiral and you feel helpless and hopeless, unabated, that could cost you your life.
所以,后果非常、非常严重。
So the stakes are very, very high.
要达到这个目标,工具箱里有很多工具。
And there are many tools in the tool kit to get you there.
我将重点介绍一个在2004年彻底改变我生活的工具。
I'm going to focus on one that completely changed my life in 2004.
而我当时之所以遇到它,是因为两件事。
And it found me then because of two things.
一位非常亲密的朋友,和我年纪相仿的年轻人,突然死于胰腺癌。
A very close friend, young guy my age, died of pancreatic cancer unexpectedly.
然后,我以为会嫁给我的女朋友离开了我。
And then my girlfriend, who I thought I was going to marry, walked out.
她受够了,没有给我写一封正式的分手信,但她给了我这个——一张‘亲爱的约翰’牌匾。
She'd had enough, and she didn't give me a Dear John letter, but she did give me this, a dear John plaque.
我不是在编故事。
I'm not making this up.
我一直留着它。
I've kept it.
营业时间在早上5点结束。
Business hours are over at 05:00.
她把这个给我,让我放在办公桌上,作为提醒我关注个人健康的用意,因为当时我正在经营我的第一个真正意义上的生意。
She gave this to me to put on my desk for personal health because at the time, I was working on my first real business.
那时我完全不知道自己在做什么。
Had no idea what I was doing.
我当时每天工作十四小时以上,一周七天不停。
I was working fourteen plus hour days, seven days a week.
我靠兴奋剂来提神。
I was using stimulants to get going.
我靠抑制剂来放松并入睡。
I was using depressants to wind down and go to sleep.
这简直是一场灾难。
It was a disaster.
我感到完全被困住了,于是买了一本关于简约生活的书,想寻找答案。
I felt completely trapped, and I bought a book on simplicity to try to find answers.
我确实找到了一句对我人生影响深远的话:我们往往在想象中受苦,而非在现实中,这是小塞内加说的,他是一位著名的斯多葛派作家。
And I did find a quote that made a big difference in my life, which was, we suffer more often in imagination than in reality, by Seneca the younger, who's a famous stoic writer.
这句话引导我读了他的书信,进而接触到‘Premeditatio Malorum’这个练习,意思是预想坏事。
That took me to his letters, which took me to the exercise, Premeditateo Mallorum, which means the premeditation of evils.
简单来说,就是详细想象你害怕的最坏情况,这些恐惧让你无法行动,而通过想象,你能克服这种瘫痪状态并采取行动。
And in simple terms, this is visualizing the worst case scenarios in detail that you fear, preventing you from taking action so that you can take action to overcome that paralysis.
我的问题是思绪纷乱,异常嘈杂,光靠思考来解决问题是行不通的。
My problem was monkey mind, super loud, very incessant, just thinking my way through problems doesn't work.
我需要把想法写在纸上,于是创造了一项名为‘恐惧设定’的书面练习,就像为自己设定目标一样。
I needed to capture my thoughts on paper, so I created a written exercise that I called fear setting, like goal setting for myself.
它由三页组成。
And it consists of three pages.
非常简单。
Super simple.
第一页就在这里。
The first page is right here.
如果我……会怎样?
What if I, dot dot dot, question mark.
这指的是你所恐惧的任何事,任何让你焦虑或拖延的事情。
This is whatever you fear, whatever is causing you anxiety, whatever you're putting off.
可能是约人出去、结束一段关系、要求加薪、辞职、创业,任何事情都可能。
Could be asking someone out, ending a relationship, asking for a promotion, quitting a job, starting a company, it could be anything.
对我来说,这是四年来的第一次休假,我离开公司一个月去伦敦,住在朋友的房间里免费住宿,目的是要么让自己不再成为业务的瓶颈,要么干脆关闭公司。
For me, it was taking my first vacation in four years and stepping away from my business for a month to go to London, where I could stay in a friend's room for free, to either remove myself as a bottleneck in the business or shut it down.
在第一列中,写下你所能想象到的、如果你采取这一步骤后可能发生的最糟糕的事情。
In the first column, define, you're writing down all of the worst things you can imagine happening if you take that step.
你需要写下十到二十条。
And you want 10 to 20.
我不会一一列举所有内容,但我会给你两个例子。
I'm not going to go through all of them, but I'll give you two examples.
其中一个例子是:我去伦敦,天气会下雨,我会变得沮丧,整个事情将是一场巨大的时间浪费。
So one was, I'll go to London, it'll be rainy, I'll get depressed, the whole thing will be a huge waste of time.
第二个例子是:我会错过国税局的一封信,结果被审计、突袭或被迫停业,诸如此类。
Number two, I'll miss a letter from the IRS, and I'll get audited or raided or shut down or some such.
然后你进入‘预防’一栏。
Then you go to the prevent column.
在这一栏中,写下你能做些什么来防止这些情况发生,或者至少降低它们发生的可能性,哪怕只是稍微降低一点。
In that column, you write down the answer to, what could I do to prevent each of these bullets from happening, or at the very least, decrease the likelihood, even a little bit.
对于在伦敦感到抑郁,我可以带一个便携式蓝光灯,每天早上使用十五分钟。
So for getting depressed in London, I could take a portable blue light with me, use it for fifteen minutes in the morning.
我知道这有助于预防抑郁发作。
I knew that helped to stave off depressive episodes.
对于IRS的问题,我可以把在IRS登记的邮寄地址改为我的会计师地址,这样文件会寄给会计师,而不是寄到我的UPS地址。
For the IRS bit, I could change the mailing address on file with the IRS, so the paperwork would go to my accountant instead of to my UPS address.
很简单。
Easy peasy.
接下来我们来看修复措施。
Then we go to repair.
如果最坏的情况真的发生了,你能做些什么来弥补损失,哪怕只是一点点?
So if the worst case scenarios happen, what could you do to repair the damage, even a little bit?
或者你可以向谁寻求帮助?
Or who could you ask for help?
在第一种情况中,如果在伦敦陷入低落,我可以花点钱飞去西班牙,晒晒太阳,缓解情绪。
So in the first case, London, well, I could fork over some money, fly to Spain, get some sun, undo the damage, if I got into a funk.
如果收到国税局的信件丢失,我可以打电话给一位当律师的朋友,或者请教一位法学教授,问问他们建议我该找谁、过去人们是如何处理这种情况的。
In the case of missing letter from the IRS, I could call a friend who was a lawyer or ask, say, a professor of law, what they would recommend, who I should talk to, how had people handled this in the past.
所以在填写这第一页时,你要想一想:历史上有没有比你更不聪明或更不努力的人已经解决了这个问题?
So one question to keep in mind as you're doing this first page is, has anyone else in the history of time, less intelligent or less driven, figured this out?
很可能,答案是肯定的。
Chances are, the answer is yes.
第二页很简单。
The second page is simple.
尝试或部分成功可能带来哪些好处?
What might be the benefits of an attempt or a partial success?
所以你可以看到,我们正在放大恐惧,对潜在收益采取了非常保守的视角。
So you can see we're playing up the fears and really taking a conservative look at the upside.
如果你尝试你正在考虑的事情,会不会增强自信、提升技能,无论是在情感上、财务上还是其他方面?比如说,一次安打能带来什么好处?
So if you attempted whatever you're considering, might you build confidence, develop skills, emotionally, financially, otherwise, what might be the benefits of, say, a base hit?
花十到十五分钟来思考这个问题。
Spend ten to fifteen minutes on this.
第三页。
Page three.
这可能是最重要的,所以不要跳过。
This might be the most important, so don't skip it.
不作为的代价。
The cost of inaction.
人类非常擅长考虑如果我们尝试新事物(比如要求加薪)可能会出什么问题。
Humans are very good at considering what might go wrong if we try something new, say, ask for a raise.
我们通常不会考虑的是,维持现状、什么都不改变的可怕代价。
What we don't often consider is the atrocious cost of the status quo, not changing anything.
所以你应该问自己,如果我回避这个行动或决定,以及类似的行为和决定,我的生活在未来六个月、十二个月、三年后会是什么样子?
So you should ask yourself, if I avoid this action or decision, and actions and decisions like it, what might my life look like in, say, six months, twelve months, three years?
再往后看,情况就开始变得模糊了,但要尽量详细描述,无论是情感上、财务上、身体上,等等。
Any further out, it starts to seem intangible, and really get detailed, again, emotionally, financially, physically, whatever.
当我这样做时,我看到了一幅令人恐惧的画面。
And when I did this, it painted a terrifying picture.
我当时在自我治疗。
I was self medicating.
如果我不离开,我的生意随时都可能崩盘。
My business was going to implode at any moment, at all times, if I didn't step away.
我的人际关系正在破裂或失败。
My relationships were fraying or failing.
我意识到,对我而言,无所作为已经不再是选择。
And I realized that inaction was no longer an option for me.
这就是那三页内容。
Those are the three pages.
就这些。
That's it.
这就是恐惧的设定。
That's fear setting.
在这之后,我意识到,从一到十分的尺度来看,一代表影响最小,十分代表影响最大,如果我去旅行,我冒的风险只是暂时且可逆的一到三分痛苦,却可能获得八到十分的积极生活改变,这种改变可能是半永久性的。
And after this, I realized that on a scale of one to ten, one being minimal impact, 10 being maximal impact, If I took the trip, I was risking a one to three of temporary and reversible pain for an eight to ten of positive life changing impact that could be semi permanent.
所以我去了旅行。
So I took the trip.
所有的灾难都没有发生。
None of the disasters came to pass.
当然,出现了一些小问题。
There were some hiccups, sure.
我成功地从生意中抽身了。
I was able to extricate myself from the business.
我最终将这次旅行延长了一年半,环游世界,这段经历成为了我第一本书的基础,也把我带到了今天。
I ended up extending that trip for a year and a half around the world, and that became the basis for my first book that leads me here today.
我可以将我所有最大的成功和避免的最大灾难,都追溯到至少每个季度进行一次恐惧设定。
And I can trace all of my biggest wins and all of my biggest disasters averted back to doing fear setting at least once a quarter.
这并不是万能药。
It's not a panacea.
你会发现,有些恐惧确实有充分依据,但你不应该在没有先用显微镜审视它们之前就下结论。
You'll find that some of your fears are very well founded, but you shouldn't conclude that without first putting them under a microscope.
它并不能让所有艰难的时刻和艰难的选择变得轻松,但它能让其中很多变得更容易。
And it doesn't make all the hard times, the hard choices easy, but it can make a lot of them easier.
所以我想以一位我最欣赏的现代斯多葛主义者为例来结束。
So I'd like to close with a profile of one of my favorite modern day stoics.
这是杰里西·格雷戈里克。
This is Jersey Gregorick.
他是四届奥运会举重世界冠军、政治难民、出版诗人,今年62岁。
He is a four time world champion in Olympic weight lifting, political refugee, published poet, 62 years old.
他仍然能轻松击败我,可能也击败了房间里绝大多数人。
He can still kick my ass and probably most asses in this room.
他是个了不起的人。
He's an impressive guy.
我花了很多时间在他的门廊上,向他请教生活和训练的建议。
I spent a lot of time on his stoa, his porch, asking life and training advice.
他曾是波兰团结工会的成员,那是一个为社会变革而发起的非暴力运动,却遭到政府的暴力镇压。
He was part of the Solidarity in Poland, which was a nonviolent movement for social change that was violently suppressed by the government.
他失去了消防员的职业。
He lost his career as a firefighter.
接着,他的导师——一位神父——被绑架、折磨并杀害,尸体被扔进了河里。
Then his mentor, a priest, was kidnapped, tortured, killed and thrown into a river.
随后,他受到了威胁。
He was then threatened.
他和妻子不得不逃离波兰,辗转于各国,最终抵达美国时几乎一无所有,只能睡在地板上。
He and his wife had to flee Poland, bounce from country to country until they landed in The US with next to nothing sleeping on floors.
现在他住在加利福尼亚州伍德赛德,住在一个非常好的地方。
He now lives in Woodside, California, in a very nice place.
在我一生中见过的一万多人里,我会把他列为最成功和最快乐的前十名之一。
And of the 10,000 plus people I've met in my life, I would put him in the top 10 in terms of success and happiness.
接下来有个高潮,所以请认真听。
And there's a punch line coming, so pay attention.
几周前,我给他发了条短信,问他是否读过任何斯多葛哲学。
I sent him a text a few weeks ago asking him, had he ever read any stoic philosophy?
他回复了两页文字。
And he replied with two pages of text.
这非常不像他。
This is very unlike him.
他是个言辞简练的人。
He is a terse dude.
他不仅熟悉斯多葛哲学,还指出,在他所有重要的决定、转折点上,当他坚持自己的原则和道德时,他都运用了斯多葛哲学和一种类似恐惧设定的方法,这让我大为震惊。
And not only was he familiar with stoicism, but he pointed out for all of his most important decisions, his inflection points, when he stood up for his principles and ethics, how he had used stoicism and something akin to fear setting, which blew my mind.
他最后提到了两件事。
He closed with two things.
第一,他无法想象还有比斯多葛式生活更美好的人生。
Number one, he couldn't imagine any life more beautiful than that of a stoic.
最后是他的一句座右铭,他将它应用于一切,你也可以用它来应对一切。
And the last was his mantra, which he applies to everything and you can apply to everything.
轻松的选择,艰难的人生。
Easy choices, hard life.
艰难的选择,轻松的人生。
Hard choices, easy life.
那些艰难的选择——我们最害怕去做的、去问的、去说的——往往正是我们最需要去做的事。
The hard choices, what we most fear doing, asking, saying, these are very often exactly what we most need to do.
我们所面临的最大挑战和问题,永远不可能通过舒适的对话来解决,无论这种对话是在你自己的脑海中,还是与他人之间。
And the biggest challenges and problems we face will never be solved with comfortable conversations, whether it's in your own head or with other people.
因此,我鼓励你们自问:在你们当前的生活中,界定自己的恐惧,是否比界定自己的目标更重要?
So I encourage you to ask yourselves, where in your lives right now might defining your fears be more important than defining your goals?
同时始终牢记塞内加的话:我们往往在想象中承受的痛苦,远多于现实中的痛苦。
Keeping in mind all the while the words of Seneca, we suffer more often in imagination than in reality.
非常感谢。
Thank you very much.
谢谢。
Thank you.
感谢大家的聆听。
Thank you all for listening.
再次强调,倾听是有力量的,但行动所带来的力量和成果要大得多。
And once again, there is power in listening but there's much more power and results in the doing.
请查看文本中的逐步指导、可打印的内容,以及你为进行恐惧设定所需的所有材料,访问 tim.blog/ted。
So please take a look at the text, the step by step instructions, what you can print out, all that you would need to do fear setting yourself at tim.blog/ted.
网址是 tim dot blog 正斜杠 ted。
That's tim dot blog forward slash ted.
嘿,各位。
Hey, guys.
我是蒂姆,又来了。
This is Tim again.
在你们离开之前,我再讲几件事。
Just a few more things before you take off.
第一,这是‘五弹星期五’。
Number one, this is Five Bullet Friday.
你想收到我的简短邮件吗?
Do you want to get a short email from me?
你愿意每周五收到一封简短的邮件,为你的周末带来一点乐趣吗?
Would you enjoy getting a short email from me every Friday that provides a little morsel of fun for the weekend?
《五弹周五》是一封非常简短的邮件,我会分享这一周发现的最酷的东西,或者我一直在思考的内容。
And Five Bullet Friday is a very short email where I share the coolest things I found or that I've been pondering over the week.
这可能包括我新发现的最爱专辑。
That could include favorite new albums that I've discovered.
也可能包括各种小工具、 gadgets,以及我在神秘世界中偶然挖到的种种怪东西——这正是我的风格。
It could include gizmos and gadgets and all sorts of weird shit that I've somehow dug up in the, the world of the esoteric as I do.
还可能包括我读过并分享给密友的精彩文章,例如。
It could include favorite articles that I've read and that I've shared with my close friends, for instance.
而且它非常简短。
And it's very short.
这只是你在周末出发前享用的一小口美好。
It's just a little tiny bite of goodness before you head off for the weekend.
所以,如果你想接收这封邮件,就去看看吧。
So if you want to receive that, check it out.
直接访问 4hourworkweek.com。
Just go to 4hourworkweek.com.
就是 4hourworkweek.com,完整拼出来,然后输入你的邮箱,你就会收到下一封邮件。
That's 4hourworkweek.com, all spelled out, and just drop in your email, and you will get the very next one.
如果你注册了,我希望你会喜欢。
And if you sign up, I hope you enjoy it.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。