本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
现在人人都在关注英伟达。
Everyone's coming for NVIDIA now.
英伟达今年的业绩将碾压市场,但我们会看到所有的攻击都接踵而至。
NVIDIA's numbers are gonna crush this year, but we're gonna see all the daggers really coming out.
最终,言语只是言语,五亿美元的一半也能改变人生。
In the end, words are words, and half $1,000,000,000 is life changing.
对吧?
Right?
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
我只是觉得,对于风投来说,现在是怨恨创业的时代。
I just think for venture, this is the era of the spite startup.
从来没有人对温斯顿·丘吉尔说:‘恭喜你,你以预算内的方式赢得了第二次世界大战。’
No one ever said to Winston Churchill, Congratulations, you won World War II on budget.
他们只是说:‘恭喜你,你赢得了第二次世界大战。’
They just said, Congratulations, you won World War II.
老实说,我认为今年最重要的一件事是我们将24/7全天候沉浸在人工智能中。
Honestly, I think the most important thing that's going to happen this year is when we are in AI twenty fourseven.
我确实相信,你可以在不与他们交谈的情况下识别出顶尖的0.1%创始人。
I do genuinely think you can identify a top o point 1% founder without talking to them.
我通过冷接触线索完成了多次十亿美元的退出。
I've done multiple billion dollar exits from cold inbound.
这是与我一起的20家风投,哈里·斯蒂宾斯。
This is 20 VC with me, Harry Stebbings.
它回来了。
It is back.
杰森·兰普金,罗里·奥德里斯科尔。
Jason Lampkin, Rory O'Driscoll.
假期期间我真的很想念这个。
I have missed this over the holidays.
天哪,今天我们为你安排了满满的日程。
And my word, what a schedule we have for you today.
Grok 被英伟达以 200 亿美元收购。
Grok acquired for $20,000,000,000 by Nvidia.
Manus 被 Meta 以 20 亿美元收购。
Manus acquired for $2,000,000,000 by Meta.
接着我们有 Navan,其股价为 ARR 的四倍,这意味著考虑上市的公司会面临什么,还有更多内容。
Then we have Navan trading at four x ARR and what that means for companies considering going public and so much more.
但在我们进入今天的节目之前,我运营着二十VC基金,创业者们经常问我这个问题。
But before we dive into the show today, I run the twenty VC fund, and I get this question from founders all the time.
哦,哈里。
Oh, Harry.
我找不到一个好的.com域名。
I can't find a good.com.
你有可靠的渠道吗?
Do you have a good hookup?
好吧,让我现在告诉你。
Well, let me tell you now.
答案永远都是否定的。
The answer is always going to be no.
我没有认识的人可以帮你搞定这个。
I don't have a guy or a gal for that.
不过我有一个建议。
I do have a recommendation though.
如果你在创办一家科技初创公司,就注册一个.tech域名。
If you're building a tech start up, get a .tech domain.
比如 Techstart.tech 这样的域名。
Techstart.tech domain.
再明显不过了。
It could not be more obvious.
作为投资者,我欣赏那些认真考虑品牌建设的创始人。
As an investor, I appreciate founders who put thought into their branding.
当我看到你的名字里有.tech,我立刻就知道技术是你产品核心。
When I see .tech in your name, it tells me right away that tech is at the core of your build.
这也会让你的客户产生同样的印象。
It'll say that to your customers too.
像.tech这样简洁专业的域名,长期来看物有所值。
A clean and sharp domain like .tech pays off in the long run.
你知道的,没有.tech,一个x.dot.tech,aurora.tech。
You know, nothing .tech, one x dot tech, aurora.tech.
所有这些优秀的科技公司,都使用.tech作为他们的域名。
All of these great tech companies, they all use .tech as their domain.
这是我的两点建议。
These are my 2¢.
如果你在打造一家科技初创公司,别想得太复杂。
If you're building a tech startup, don't overthink it.
获取一个.tech域名。
Get a .tech domain.
.tech建立你的数字形象后,Checkout为你的客户带来支付体验。
After .tech establishes your digital presence, Checkout powers the payments experience your customers see.
数字商业正在爆炸式增长,但支付仍然是收入流失的地方。
Digital commerce is exploding, but payments are still where revenue leaks.
Checkout.com于2012年成立,旨在解决这一问题。
Checkout.com launched in 2012 to fix that.
他们并不试图满足所有人的所有需求。
They don't try and be everything to everyone.
不。
No.
他们只专注于一件事,并做到极致:数字支付。
They just do one thing better than anyone, digital payments.
云原生、延迟低于500毫秒,可用性高达99.999%。
Cloud native, sub 500 latency, and 99.999% uptime.
如今,这一赌注已获得回报,公司估值达到120亿美元,超过65家商户每年处理的交易额均超过10亿美元。
Today, that bet has paid off with a $12,000,000,000 valuation and 65 plus merchants each processing over $1,000,000,000 annually.
有65家商户每年处理超过10亿美元,这简直不可思议。
65 doing over 1,000,000,000 annually is insane.
查看Power为优步、Planner、eBay、Vinted等品牌实现的3000亿美元电子商务交易额。
Check out Power's $300,000,000,000 in ecommerce for brands like Uber, Planner, eBay, Vinted, and more.
现在,他们正在为代理式电商构建平台,在该模式中,AI代理将实时代表您的客户进行购买,并与Visa、Mastercard、谷歌、微软和OpenAI展开合作。
Now they're building for Agentic Commerce, where AI agents buy on behalf of your customers in real time, partnering with Visa, Mastercard, Google, Microsoft, and OpenAI.
如果您希望获得面向未来的支付解决方案,请联系 team@checkout.com。
Now if you want payments built for what's next, talk to the team@checkout.com.
这就是Checkout.com。
That's checkout.com.
一旦Checkout帮助客户通过支付闸门,Invisible就能为您按需提供人才和流程,助力业务扩展。
Once checkout gets customers through the paywall, invisible helps you scale your operations with on demand talent and processes.
为什么我们很少听到大型企业关于AI成功应用的真实案例?
Why don't we hear more real AI success stories from big companies?
这些模型非常强大,但实现才是问题所在。
The models are insanely good, but implementation's the problem.
这真的非常困难。
It's really, really hard.
数据分散在各处。
There's data all over the place.
存在老旧的技术和手动的解决方法。
There's legacy tech and manual workarounds.
这就像在购物车里装了一台法拉利引擎。
It's a Ferrari engine in a shopping cart.
认识一下Invisible。
Meet Invisible.
Invisible训练了80%的顶级模型,然后根据你业务的混乱现实进行调整。
Invisible trains 80% of the top models and then adapts them to the messy reality of your business.
以夏洛特黄蜂队为例。
Take the Charlotte Hornets NBA team.
Invisible 花费了数年时间,将比赛录像和人工 scouting 笔记转化为从不确定性到在几周内完成选秀并赢得夏季联赛冠军的成果,而非数个赛季。
Invisible took years of game tape and analog scouting notes to go from uncertainty to a draft pick and summer league championship win in weeks, not seasons.
先理清数据,AI 就能为企业做几乎任何事情。
Get the data in order first, and suddenly AI can do almost anything for you in the enterprise.
如果你想让 AI 真正影响利润表,请访问 invisibletech.ai/20vc。
If you want AI that hits the p and l, go to invisibletech.ai/20vc.
各位,你们已经到达目的地。
You have now arrived at your destination.
伙计们,能回来真是太好了。
Guys, it is so good to be back.
我们离开的这段时间发生了太多事。
Now so much happened while we were away.
我想从最富有远见的一件事说起:Grok 以 200 亿美元现金被收购。
I wanna start with one of the most prescient, Grok being acquired for 20,000,000,000 in cash.
这件事发生在圣诞节前。
It happened just before Christmas.
Chemath 显然是最大的赢家之一。
Chemath obviously coming out as one of the big winners.
价格是上一轮价格的三倍。
Price is three x more than the last round price.
我们是如何分析这一点的?
How did we analyse this?
我有两个想法。
I just had two thoughts.
一个是,我一直在思考 OpenAI 几乎买断了全球所有的内存供应,以及格雷格·布罗克曼本周在新年期间谈到,到今年年底,我们所有人都将全天候运行推理任务。
One is, I was thinking a lot about both OpenAI buying up basically all the world's global RAM supply, and Greg Brockman this week in the New Year talking about how we will all be running twenty four hours of inference by the end of the year.
不是我们所有人,但有一部分科技工作者、知识工作者,将全天候运行 AI。
Not all of us, but a subset of us, of tech workers, of knowledge workers, will be running AI twenty four hours.
我已经每天使用几个小时了。
I'm already up to a couple hours a day.
我自己正在运行 AI。
I'm running AI myself.
所以,我认为这是一个推理的世界。
And so it's a world of inference, I think.
当我们刚开始做这个播客时,我们谈论的是构建模型、大语言模型等等。
And when we started this podcast, we talked about building models and LLMs and all of this.
但天啊,如果到今年年底,足够多的人每天运行AI,甚至48小时、72小时,多个代理每天24小时运行的话。
But JFC, if enough of us by the end of the year are running AI, maybe even forty eight hours a day, seventy two hours a day, multiple agents running twenty four hours a day.
推理才是全部的增长。
Inference is all of the growth.
如果Grok哪怕是答案的一部分,对英伟达而言,作为某种生存层面的答案,那也是值得的。
And if Grok is even part of the answer, right, part of the existential answer for NVIDIA, it's worth it.
现在每个人都在瞄准英伟达,无论是AMD,还是与博通合作,自己研发芯片。
And everyone's coming for NVIDIA now, whether it's AMD, whether it's partnering with Broadcom, building your own chips.
英伟达今年的业绩将碾压一切,但我们会看到真正的利刃纷纷出鞘。
NVIDIA's numbers are going to crush this year, but we're going to see all the daggers really coming out.
我们刚刚看到2025年甲板上的椅子被重新摆放。
We just saw the deck chairs being rearranged in 2025.
所以我不知道Grok到底有多厉害,但如果它能解决这个问题,那就值得去尝试。
So I don't even know how great Grok is, but if it can possibly address this, it's worth taking out.
我同意。
I agree.
我觉得有几点。
I think a couple of things.
一是杰森关于推理的评论,我认为很关键。
One is Jason's comment on inference, I think, is key.
总的来说,在GPU和TPU的世界里,每一家AI公司都必须完成两大任务。
It's that broadly speaking, in the world of GPUs and TPUs, there's two big picture tasks that every one of these AI companies have to do.
你只需要训练一次模型,这就是训练;然后每次我提交查询或问题时,你都在运行模型,这就是推理。
You have to train your model once, and that's training, and then you have to run your model every time I submit a query or a question, you're running a model and that's inference.
这两项任务大致相似,但并不完全相同。
And the tasks are roughly similar, but they're not quite the same.
NVIDIA对于Bode来说完全足够。
NVIDIA's totally adequate for Bode.
它在训练方面非常出色。
It's awesome for training.
Grok 在某种特定的推理场景中具有独特优势,其延迟极低且高度确定性。
Grok had a particular edge for a certain kind of inference where it was very low latency, very deterministic.
换句话说,就是你需要可预测地提供低延迟。
In other words, where you have to predictably deliver low latency.
正如杰森所指出的,我们现在看到的是,在这个始终在线的 AI 世界中,如果延迟很高,会让人非常烦扰。
And what we're seeing now to Jason's point is as you live in this always on AI world, it's kind of irritating if you have a lot of latency.
因此,有一类用户认为这是他们最佳的选择。
So there's a certain class of users for whom this was kind of a best in class option.
我的一家公司 Tavis 实际上就是 Grok 的客户,正是因为对于具有实时数字存在感的对话式 AI 来说,你不能使用一个冻结的模型。
You know, one of my companies, Tavis, actually was a Grok customer precisely because for conversational AI with kind of real time digital presence, you can't have a frozen model.
你需要能够实时响应。
You need to be able to respond in real time.
因此,在推理领域中,Grok 在某个特定用例上是最佳选择。
So there was a particular use case within inference for which Glock was best in class.
所以这算是对产品的评论。
So that's kind of the product comment.
但对杰森的宏观评论是:从宏观角度看,英伟达拥有世界上最好的业务,其市值也是全球第一或第二,具体取决于当天的情况。
But the zoom out comment to Jason saying is this, at a high level, NVIDIA's got the world's best business and the world's first or second largest market cap, depending on the day.
他们生产的是非常复杂的技术产品。
They make a very complex technical product.
他们只有少数客户,却向这些客户收取75%的毛利率,并每年产生一千亿美元的现金。
They have a small number of customers whom they charge 75% gross margins to and kick off a 100,000,000,000 a year in cash.
他们最不需要的就是硅谷里出现其他能做出大致类似产品的人。
The last thing they need is anyone else wandering around the face of Silicon Valley who can make a vaguely comparable product.
正因为Grok能够做出一个大致类似的产品,我认为英伟达在分析后认为:200亿美元还不到其市值的1%,也不到其年自由现金流的20%。
And precisely because Grok was able to make a vaguely comparable product, I think NVIDIA looked at the analysis and said dollars 20,000,000,000 is less than 1% of our market cap and less than 20% of our annual free cash flow.
为了这一点,我们可以收购一个竞争对手,消除这种潜在的利润率压力。
For that, we can buy up a competitor and eliminate that potential margin pressure.
目前只有五到六个人能对英伟达的利润率造成任何影响。
There's only five or six people that can exert margin pressure at all on Nvidia.
这可能是其中之一,让我们把它排除掉。
This was potentially one of them and let's get it off the table.
这提醒我们,创业是一场漫长的博弈,充满艰难时刻,但终将迎来辉煌的一刻。
And it's kind of a reminder that startups is a long game with lots of hard moments and then one great moment.
这家公司成立于2016年、2017年。
A company started in twenty sixteen, 'seventeen.
创始人们曾是谷歌TPU团队的成员,就像OpenAI和Anthropic团队的某些人最初也来自谷歌的Transformer团队。
The founders were part of the Google TPU team, just as the OpenAI and Atropix team were originally some of them part of the Google transformer team.
在这种情况下,他们帮助开发了谷歌的TPU芯片,随后离职创业,获得了社会资本的支持。
In this case, they helped build the TPU chip at Google, spun out to do it themselves, funded by social and capital.
这是一段漫长的孤独旅程。
It was a long walk in the woods.
就在2023年,他们的收入还不到400万美元,但突然间,AI浪潮袭来。
As recently as 2023, they were only doing sub $4,000,000 in revenue, but suddenly the wave of AI hits.
AI计算如今成了全球最有价值的知识产权。
AI compute becomes frankly the most valuable intellectual property on the planet.
他们的增长开始稳步上升,但增长依然并非板上钉钉。
They start to grow reasonably well, but it's still not a layup in terms of growth.
你要明白,营收达到200亿美元可不是件容易的事。
You don't get to 20,000,000,000 to be clear on a revenue number.
我想,这是一年前的事了,当时他们的营收大约是5000万美元。
This was, I think a year ago, some $50,000,000 in revenue.
正如我所说,2023年时是400万美元,2024年则达到了4000万左右。
As I said, dollars 4,000,000 in '23, 40 ish in '24.
他们之所以能做到,是因为对英伟达而言,这是一项战略资产,以他们极其庞大的现金流来看,收购成本相对低廉。
You get there because it's a strategic asset that Nvidia can take off the table for a modest amount of money relative to their absurdly gargantuan cash flow.
于是他们就这么做了。
So they did it.
正如我所说,我非常想知道这场讨论背后的细节,因为这是一场有趣的博弈论游戏。
And as I say, I would love to know the dynamics of the discussion because it's an interesting game theory.
当你拥有一项资产,单独来看只值50亿美元,但对收购方而言,一旦收购就能价值400亿美元,因为它保护了500亿美元的市场,以及5.5万亿美元的市值。
When you have an asset that's only worth, say, 5,000,000,000 to you on a standalone basis, but is worth 40,000,000,000 to the acquirer on an acquired basis, because it protects the $50,000,000,000 market, dollars 55,000,000,000,000 market cap.
你如何为这个资产定价?
How do you price that asset?
这不是一个财务专家能给出的答案。
There's no finance weenie answer.
我说这话是因为我常常是个财务专家。
And I say that because I'm often a finance weenie.
我正在努力寻找所谓的正确答案。
I'm trying to look for quote unquote, the right answer.
市盈率是多少啊,诸如此类的问题。
What are the multiples, blah, blah, blah.
这些都不适用在这里。
None of that applies here.
这是一场扑克游戏。
This was a poker game.
你可以想象一下,我不知道当时的对话内容,但你坐在那里想:对我而言,它值50亿美元。
You can imagine, I mean, I don't know what the dialogue was, but you sit there and go, it's worth 5,000,000,000 to me.
我知道这是一笔令人恐惧的交易,但对你来说值500亿美元。
I know it's a terrifying deal, but it's worth 50,000,000,000 to you.
我们谈谈吧。
Let's talk.
正如你所说,200亿美元让上一轮融资显得非常明智。
And I think 20,000,000,000, as you say, it made the last round look really smart.
它让每个人都赚了大钱,而英伟达说成交了,然后继续前进。
It made everyone a ton of money, and NVIDIA said done and moved on.
我猜测,部分原因在于他们愿意进行这种收购型人才引进交易,这才让交易变得可以接受。
My guess is in part, it was the willingness to do one of these acquihire type deals that made it palatable.
因为英伟达可能正坐在那里想,如果我们把这当作一次经典的并购交易宣布,我相信即使在当前环境下,FTC的某个人也会有意见。
Because Nvidia is probably sitting there going, if we announce this as a classic quote unquote M and A, I got to believe that even in the current environment, someone at the FTC will have an opinion.
但如果我们只是把它当作一次直接的许可雇佣交易,一夜之间搞定交易,是的,我们付得更多,但他们可能为所谓的交易合规性支付了更多。
But if we just do this as a straight license hire and just get the deal done overnight, yeah, we pay more, but they probably paid more for what I'd call transactional compliance.
换句话说,我们会给你们200亿美元,你们下周一就开始工作,然后我们把它宣布为一个既成事实。
In other words, we're going give you $20,000,000,000 You guys are going to start on Monday, and we're going to announce it as another fait accompli.
所以那里有很多有趣的事情。
So lots of fun stuff there.
有人度过了一个非常忙碌但极其赚钱的圣诞节。
Someone had a very busy but very profitable Christmas.
你知道吗?
You know what?
关于这笔交易,我还想到另一件事,对于风投来说,你会支持谁?
Another thing I thought about on the deal just for venture, who do you bet on?
你会支持我职业生涯中所做的事吗?——那些 outsider,那些没人听说过的、来自葡萄牙或悉尼的年轻小子,他们却搞出了些名堂?
Do you bet on what I've done in my career, which is the outsider, folks no one has heard of, the young kid from Portugal or Sydney that no one's heard of that figured something out?
还是你会像 Grok 那样,投资于其中一位 TPU 的发明者,乔纳森·罗斯?
Or do you do what Grok was, which is you invest on one of the guys that invented the TPU, Jonathan Ross.
媒体上的说法是,尤其是詹森,想加速他们在推理方面的进展。
And the story in the press is Jensen, in particular, wanted to turbocharge what they're doing inference.
就在几周前,他亲自联系了乔纳森·罗斯,这笔交易在两周内就以 200 亿美元成交了。
He reached out to Jonathan Ross literally just weeks ago, and the deal closed for $20,000,000,000 within two weeks.
他告诉整个团队,我希望在圣诞节前完成。
And he told his whole team, I want it done before Christmas.
结果提前完成了。
And it was done ahead of time.
如果你希望在两周内无波无澜地完成,那你实际上得支付三倍的价钱——可能正好是上一轮估值的三倍。
And if you want it done in two weeks with no drama, you are going to pay three in fact, you may pay precisely three times the last round.
这正是我作为创始人的亲身经历。
That's been my experience once as a founder.
当你强势入场收购一家公司并将其从市场上撤下时,三倍估值是消除异议、迅速促成交易的传统方式。
When you come in hot to buy a company and take it off the table, 3x is a traditional way to remove objections and close a deal instantly.
如果这家公司是由一个无名之辈、圈外人创立的,它值多少钱?
If this company had been founded by someone that was unknown, an outsider, what would this company have been worth?
10%?
10%?
所以这也是钱伯斯早早押注一位S级领袖,并在此时获得巨大回报。
So this was also Chamath betting way early, way ahead of all this on an S tier leader and it paying off big this time.
对吧?
Right?
而且我从未做过这样的赌注。
And this is I've never made this kind of bet.
我承担不起。
I can't afford it.
我没有钱。
I don't have the money.
但这确实表明这种赌注可能带来回报。
But it does kind of show this bet can pay off.
但这有风险,对吧?
But it's risky, right?
因为这不是基于ARR的倍数赌注。
Because it's not an ARR multiple bet.
还没到那一步。
Not yet.
他们的收入达到了1.75亿美元,因此要达到他们现在的规模,需要一个相当高的ARR倍数。
They're at a 175,000,000 in revenue, so that would be quite an ARR multiple to get to where they are.
但詹森想要他和他的团队。
But Jensen wanted him and his team.
他告诉他的团队:‘我要在圣诞节前搞定这件事,我不想听任何借口。’
He told his team, I want this closed before Christmas, and I don't want any effing excuses.
我没有直接下属,所以你们自己去搞定吧,伙计们。
And I have no direct reports, so just get it done, guys.
这会对Cerebrus造成损害还是带来帮助?
Does this harm or does it help Cerebrus?
Cerebrus显然是最接近的竞争对手,计划在未来十二个月内上市。
Cerebrus, obviously, closest competitor, planning to IPO in the next twelve months.
他们去年刚刚完成了一轮大规模融资。
They just raised a large round last year.
我想他们融资额大约是10亿美元,接近50亿美元。
I think it was 1,000,000,000 around the 5,000,000,000 mark.
这有助于设定一个基准,还是会导致潜在收购方退出,并让一个大竞争对手落入另一个大竞争对手之手?
Does this help in terms of setting a benchmark or hurt in terms of taking a potential acquirer off the table and placing a big competitor in the hands of another big competitor?
这是个非常好的问题。
It's a super good question.
我认为从情感上讲,这会有帮助,因为当你们为IPO定价时,每个人都会觉得你们拥有某种内在价值,同时消除了一个竞争对手。
I think emotionally it will help because everyone will feel as you're pricing the IPO that you have some kind of embedded value and eliminates another competitor.
总体而言,从宏观角度看,Cerebrus、Grok和Nvidia在同一领域所做的是完全不同的芯片。
And broadly speaking, at a high level, Cerberus, Grok and Nvidia in the same space are the very different chips.
Cerebrus所做的产品是单晶圆芯片。
What Cerberus does has a single wafer chip.
我认为它更适用于高级训练,而不是高速推理。
I think it's more for really advanced training than kind of high speed inference.
但不管怎样,现在是五月,从情感层面来看,如果你愿意花50亿美元,你突然就会觉得:哦,这感觉不错。
But be that as it's May, I think at an emotional level, oh, if you're paying up 5,000,000,000, you're suddenly like, oh, this feels good.
其他公司在这里已经完成过交易。
Other companies have transacted here.
从银行家的角度来看,你们用可比公司来证明价值,现在你们拥有了世界上最好的可比公司。
So from the banker process of, you use comps to justify value, now you've got the world's best comp.
相信我,他们一定会用这个参考。
And believe me, they'll be using it.
我明白你从‘抢椅子’这个角度看的担忧,负面观点是,能够疯狂高价购买这类资产的人数是有限的。
I hear you from a kind of musical chairs perspective, The negative view would be there are a finite number of people who can ludicrously overpay for these kind of assets.
其中一个是英伟达,他们刚刚已经这么做了。
And one of them is Nvidia, they just did.
谷歌不需要,因为他们有自己的TPU。
Google doesn't need to because they have TPU.
所以你可以说,少了一把椅子。
So you could say you've got one less chair.
但另一方面,剩下的玩家呢?我想知道,亚马逊、苹果、微软、OpenAI是否迟早都需要制定自己的芯片战略?
On the other hand, the remaining players, I mean, I wonder, does Amazon, does Apple, does Microsoft, does OpenAI have to have a silicon strategy at some point in time?
如果他们确实需要,而且想摆脱英伟达的溢价,而谷歌又继续不愿大规模出售TPU,那么Cerberus或许就有了机会。
And if they do, if they want to get out from the Nvidia tax and Google continues to not be willing to sell TPUs at scale, then maybe Cerberus gets a play.
我不知道。
I don't know.
这是个好问题。
It's a good question.
我猜略微不乐观,但说到底这才是真相。
My guess is marginally not positive, but kind of it's like the real truth.
这是一种奇怪的情况,你可能会问,这是正面还是负面?
It's one of those weird things where you ask, is it a positive or negative?
事实是,这里有一个巨大的潜在正面因素——一个可比案例,同时也有一个巨大的潜在负面因素——音乐椅问题。
The truth is there's a big embedded positive, a comp, and there's a big embedded negative, the musical chair problem.
它们加起来会怎样?天知道。
And how they add up, who the hell knows?
但你肯定在想,唉,真希望他们找的是我。
But you must be sitting there thinking, oh, I wish they called me.
好吧,你肯定在PPT幻灯片上失去了最重要的收购方。
Well, definitely lost your number one acquirer on the PowerPoint slide.
这很清楚。
That's clear.
作为创始人或发明家,这总是令人沮丧的。
And that's always a bummer as a founder or inventor.
每当你打开浏览器,收到邮件说你的收购方被你的头号潜在收购方以巨额资金收购时,这至少会让你推迟一周。
It always at least sets you back a week, you know, when you when you fire up the browser and you get an email that that your acquirer was acquired for mega money by your numb the number one potential acquirer.
无论如何,这至少需要一周时间来调整,因为至少在你心里有这个念头时,会减轻你的压力。
It always it e best case, it takes you a week to reset from that because at least having it in the back of your mind de stresses your life.
这确实是一个挫折。
It is a setback.
第一,他们可能会直接弃用整个产品线,转而开发全新的产品。
One, they could just deprecate the entire product line and do something brand new.
他们很可能这么做。
They probably will.
所以很难预测它会走向何方,对吧?
So it's hard to predict where it will go, right?
第二,这是一种心理学现象,我们知道这一点,但我在一家财富500强科技公司担任副总裁时亲眼见过。
Two, and this is a psychology I know we know this, but I saw this when I was a VP at a Fortune 500 tech company.
我在Adobe工作时也见过这种情况。
I saw this when I was at Adobe.
这不仅仅是200亿美元会带来新的薪酬标准那么简单。
It's not just that $20,000,000,000 kind of creates a new comp.
我的意思是,正如罗里所说,这是真的。
I mean, is true, as Rory said.
当然,这是真的。
Of course, it's true.
当形势好的时候,确实会为收购方带来一种心理上的重新调整,而这只有在形势好的时候才有效。
It really is true that when times are good, this only works when times are good, it does a psychological reset for acquirers.
风投们会想:‘哦,这里有11家公司可能会收购我的投资组合公司或创始人。’
VCs are like, oh, here are the 11 companies who'll buy my portfolio company or founders.
这些公司在组织内部有着巨大的软性成本。
Have huge soft costs in organizations.
这不仅仅是钱的问题,还有团队、时间和精力上的巨大成本。
It's not just the money, the massive costs on the team, on time, on distraction.
要证明一笔交易的合理性,只要不是像三倍营收那样的规模,就需要投入大量工作,除非你是詹森那种能在圣诞节前搞定的人,对其他人来说,这工作量巨大。
And the amount you have to do to justify a deal of any size that isn't like three times revenue, the amount of work it goes, unless you're Jensen who says gets it done before Christmas, for anyone else, it's massive.
所以当你走进房间说,我们想以2500万美元收购Service,这比Grok大了两倍,而且我们急需它,整个房间的人都会点头同意。
So when you can walk into a room and say, we want to acquire service for $25,000,000 it's twice the size of Grok and we need it now, the whole room just nods.
房间里所有对这笔巨额支票的反对意见都会烟消云散。
All the objections to that massive check float away in the room.
我一次又一次地看到过这种情况。
I've seen it time and time again.
所以这确实是一份礼物,它为某些事情提供了正当理由,而这些事情直到几周前可能只有詹森才能做到。
So it is a gift, and it just justifies doing something that maybe only Jensen could do until a couple weeks ago.
杰森,我对你刚才的说法唯一要修正的是,是十亿,不是百万。
The only edit I'd have to your statement there, Jason, is billion, not million.
哦,不是的。
Oh, no.
五,抱歉,如果我表达有误。
Five I'm sorry if I misspoke.
十亿。
Billion.
我认为,杰森,这是真诚的。
I think, Jason, that's genuine.
这非常有洞察力。
That's very insightful.
你完全正确。
You're exactly right.
六个月前,如果你说,我觉得我们应该花十亿美元收购赛伯勒斯或格洛克20,在其他公司,你会被五个人嘲笑,说你傻。
Six months ago, if you said, I think we should buy Cerberus or Glock 20 for billion, you were at one of these other companies, you know, five people would dump at you and say, idiots.
现在你这么说,他们会说,半导体领域最聪明的人刚刚做了一件类似的事。
Now you say it and they go, well, the smartest guy in the fricking planet in semiconductors just did one of these things.
这使它变得正常化了。
That normalizes it.
对吧?
Right?
所以这是一种心理上的协同效应。
So it's a psychological comp.
是的。
Yeah.
我完全同意。
I I totally agree.
这里发生了一种巨大的突破,让你突然意识到,只要你想要赢,你能做到什么。
There's a damn unlocking that goes on here where you suddenly realize what you can do if you want to win.
有趣的是,从融资历史来看,参与这一领域的风险投资机构并不多。
It is interesting that just funding history wise, there are not a ton of VCs in this.
就资金来源而言,这非常非传统。
In terms of funding sources, it was very nontraditional.
正如我们之前所说,通往今天这一步的道路并不容易。
I mean, as we said there, it was not an easy pathway to where it is today.
我的意思是,那些融资轮次确实很难,而且again,投资方都不是传统的那些。
And I mean, my words, some of those funding rounds were hard with, again, nontraditional funders.
所以这并不是像Twitter所谈论的那样,对硅谷来说是一次巨大的胜利。
And so it's not like a big win for Silicon Valley in the way that I think Twitter's talking about it.
但这对查马斯来说是的。
It is for Chamath.
我的意思是,Social Capital 因为早早入场并完成了两轮投资而获得了全部赞誉。
Well, I mean, look, Social and Capital get all the credit for being early and doing two rounds.
然后你说得对。
And then you're right.
在2021年和2022年,有几家,我觉得是D1、老虎基金,以及一堆后期阶段的基金都参与了进来。
In '21 and '22, there were a couple of, you know, I think D1, Tiger, a bunch of the late stage crosshairs.
但你说得对。
But you're right.
当时只有一家典型的硅谷风投公司。
There was only one classic Silicon Valley firm.
讽刺的是,就在这家机构正经历崩溃、转变为非传统硅谷公司、成为贾马特私人办公室的时候,这一切正在发生。
And ironically, it was happening just as that firm was blowing up and becoming a non traditional Silicon Valley firm, becoming a Jamaat private office.
所以,是的,我的意思是,毫无疑问,那些常驻人物都没有出现。
So yes, I mean, there's no doubt that the usual cast of characters weren't there.
原因非常明显:我们在90年代和2000年代初曾大量投资半导体领域。
And the reason is pretty obvious is we used to do semiconductors in the 90s and early 2000s.
我们以前也做过很多半导体项目。
Lots of firms, we used to do semiconductors too.
如果你看看2003年之后的半导体退出案例,在风投领域几乎一个都没有,对吧?
And if you look at the semiconductor exits from 2003 on, almost none in venture land, right?
这是一个非常难赚钱的领域。
A very hard way to make money.
而事实上,后来在公开市场上,半导体变得极其盈利。
And of course, what happened is in the public markets, semiconductors were hugely profitable.
费城半导体指数像疯了一样持续飙升。
The Philadelphia semiconductor index was compounded up like a crazy person.
除此之外,还有人工智能这一因素。
And then on top of that, you have the AI thing.
然后你迎来了这样一个机会,这简直就像技术奇点。
And then you have this chance for this it's it's very much a singularity.
你碰巧做了一笔独家交易,产品正好对路,但在2016年,这种做法非常反主流,除了杰森所说的‘那个了不起的人会自己想明白’之外,根本没有明确的投资逻辑。
You have the one off deal that's just the right product, but it was very contrarian thinking in 2016 with no obvious thesis other than, as Jason said, the great guy, he'll figure it out.
然后足够聪明地坚持到浪潮来临。
And then being smart enough to survive long enough for the wave to hit.
我并不认为这意味著将来会出现二十个类似的半导体领域伟大成果,这一点要明确。
I don't think this means that there's going to be 20 more semiconductor great outcomes, be clear.
这有点像网络领域的Arista Networks。
It's a little like in networking, Arista networks.
九十年代和两千年代初,人人都在做网络,后来没人再做了。
Everyone did networking in the nineties and early two thousands, then nobody did networking.
然后Arista成立了,由贝克特尔·宰因创立了这家公司。
And then Arista was founded, Bechtel Zein founded the company.
它表现得非常好。
It did really well.
它已经上市了。
It's public.
它是一家市值400亿美元的公司,但自那以后再也没有出现过其他类似的公司。
It's got a $40,000,000,000 market cap company, but there's been no other box company since then.
这就像一个孤例。
It's like it's a one off.
看看它,你会想,有人靠一个孤例赚了200亿美元。
Look at it and you go, oh, someone made 20,000,000,000 in a one off.
祝他们好运。
Good luck to them.
然后你再回头关注有前景的AI企业、AI软件公司。
And then you put your head back around to funding relevant AI enterprise, AI software companies.
但我认为不会再有10家半导体公司崛起。
But I don't think there's going to be 10 more semis.
可能有两个。
There might be two.
早在2016年之前,半导体行业已经经历了长达十年的艰难时期。
Long before 2016, it was semiconductors were just had been really brutal for ten years.
在2002到2010年间,很多公司都没能盈利。
A lot of those companies in 02/2010 didn't make.
我记得在Eric Vissier进行Cerubris交易时,曾与Bruce Dunleavy谈过一次。
I remember Eric Vissrier had to have a chat with Bruce Dunleavy when he was doing the Cerubris deal.
Bruce告诉他关于投资半导体的智慧,以及他从之前十五年半导体寒冬中学到的经验——这正是你提到的那段时期,我觉得这很有趣,也值得称赞Eric在那之后还做了Cerubris。
And Bruce was telling him the wisdom of investing in semiconductors and all that he had learned from the prior fifteen years of like the semiconductor winter that you speak of, which I thought was interesting and credit to Eric for doing some rubris after that.
但说到大型收购,我们还有Meta收购Manners。
But speaking of big acquisitions, we also have meta acquiring manners.
我喜欢做这个节目的一个原因是,因为我们不是记者,所以我们掌握着真实的信息。
One of the things that I love about doing the show is because we're not journalists, we also actually have real information.
所以我确实知道一些媒体根本不知道的事情,比如收购价格是25亿美元,是当前ARR的25倍。
And so I actually know things that actually none of the media do, which is the price was $2,500,000,000 It was a 25x current ARR.
他们的年经常性收入(ARR)为1亿美元,加上使用量,年运行速率达到1.25亿美元。
They were at $100,000,000 of ARR, doing $125,000,000 run rate including consumption.
因此,作为参考,八个月内实现了5倍的回报,这在内部收益率(IRR)上相当惊人。
So for a benchmark it was say a 5x in eight months, which is pretty amazing in IRR.
我们该如何看待这个问题?
How do we think about this?
首先,我们要完全归功于Benchmark。
First of all, let's start with all credit to Benchmark.
你还记得吗?我们当初他们刚完成这笔交易时就讨论过。
You can recollect, we talked about this when they first did the deal.
当时这颇具争议。
It was controversial.
我记得我自己也说过,我并不是在做道德判断。
And I remember even saying myself, I'm not making a moral judgment.
我是在做务实的判断。
I'm making a pragmatic judgment.
你当时投资了一家看起来像是中国公司的企业,承担了很大的风险。
You're taking on a lot of risk here funding a company that at the time looked like it was a China based company.
他们出色地将公司转变为非中国公司,并切断了位于新加坡的关联。
They did an amazing job of making it a not China based company, cut off links based in Singapore.
因此,他们通过这样做创造了一些价值。
So they created some value by doing that.
这显然获得了回报。
And it's obviously paid off.
这就是风险投资应有的运作方式。
That's the way venture is meant to work.
你承担了一种有计算的、非共识的风险。
You take a calculated risk, somewhat of a non consensus risk.
当它成功时,你可以在很短的时间内获得非常可观的回报。
And when it works, you can get a very compelling return in a short period of time.
所以,是的,这对他们来说显然是一个很好的结果。
So, yeah, it's obviously it's a good outcome for them.
我的意思是,从Meta的角度来看,考虑到他们投入的资金规模,这并不疯狂。
I mean, from Meta's perspective, in the context of the money they're throwing around, it's not crazy.
很难理解为什么Manus这样的B2B或个人知识工作者工具,会成为面向Facebook上30亿用户的明显产品,而其中大多数人并不从事知识工作。
It's not obvious why a kind of B2B or individual knowledge worker work tool, which is what Manus is, is an obvious product to roll out to 3,000,000,000 users on Facebook, most of whom don't do knowledge work.
但我认为,Manus团队展示的是,他们知道如何让AI在用户层面,尤其是在非技术用户层面发挥作用。
But I think that what the Manus team showed is they know how to make AI work at the level of the user and the non technical user?
我认为,这正是他们所获取的资产和团队的核心价值。
And I think that's the asset and the team that they're grabbing here.
这确实令人兴奋。
It is exciting.
我认为创始人决定出售公司。
I think the founders decided to sell.
我不认为Benchmark在推动他们这么做。
I don't think Benchmark was pushing for them.
5倍的回报,内部收益率听起来很不错。
5X sounds great, the IRR.
这并不是三倍回报的基金项目。
This is not a three times fund returner.
所以,从资本配置的角度来看,Benchmark完全有动力玩这个游戏,赌一把。
So Benchmark would have every incentive, we're just playing games, if we're just being capital allocators, roll the dice.
我们直接冲四倍吧。
Let's go for four.
你们有没有看到Grok的交易?
Did you, hey, did you guys see the Grok deal?
我们比Grok更强。
We're better than Grok.
我认为,除非VC们真的没钱了,否则他们根本没有动力接受这笔交易,而我认为这种情况不太可能。
So the VCs have no incentive, I think, to take this deal unless it's out of money, which I don't think was unlikely the case.
不管毛利率是多少,这都不会是问题。
No matter what the gross margins were, that wasn't going to be the issue.
明白吗?
Okay?
我认为坐在这里的创始人搬到了新加坡,不管怎样,他们面临着巨大的生存风险,正在上面运行一个非常精巧的编排层,而Anthropic也能做其中一部分。
And I think the founders sitting here moved to Singapore, whatever it was, a lot of existential risk, running a very clever orchestration layer on top of other LLMs that Anthropic can do some of this.
OpenAI也会做其中一部分。
OpenAI is going to do some of this.
他们是最优秀的,但其他人都在做同样的事情。
They are best of breed, but other people are all doing the same thing.
我们都在运行多个大语言模型。
We're all running multiple LLMs.
我们都在编排多个智能体。
We're all orchestrating multiple agents.
我认为发生的事情是——听好了,这仅仅是我在根据交易规模和时机进行模式匹配。
I think what happened and listen, this is just me pattern matching to the size of the deal, the timing to everything.
他们说,这就是我们的局部最优解。
They said this is our local maximum.
如果他们是新加坡居民,新加坡没有资本利得税。
Relative to risk and reward, there's no capital gains tax in Singapore if they're Singapore residents.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
税率是0%。
It's 0% tax.
他们是家中国公司吗?
Are they a Chinese company?
我们已经见过这些问题了。
We've already seen these issues.
风险是什么?
What are the risks?
谁会收购我们?
Who will buy us?
对。
Right.
也许只有少数人想收购我们。
Well, maybe only so many people want to buy us.
中国的IPO回来了,但情况很奇怪。
IPOs in China are back, but they're weird.
会是美国的吗?
Will it be a U.
上市?
S.
IPO吗?
IPO?
他们说,作为创始人,我们每个人都能套现离场,你知道的,我们得去给那个Scale的家伙和Meta打工,但今天我们就可能套现几亿美元,而这家公司可能毛利极低,对吧?
And they're like, as founders, we're each going to walk away with, you know, we've got to go work for that scale guy and Meta, but we're going walk away with hundreds of millions of dollars today for a company probably with extremely low gross margins, you know?
我不是说这不是一个史诗级的产品。
And I'm not saying it's not an epic product.
它确实是。
It is.
但在这期播客中,我们提到过一些产品,比如Lovable和Replit,我怀疑它们的毛利比Manus高得多。
But we've picked on some products over this pod, the Lovable and Replits that I suspect have much better gross margins than Manus does.
好的。
Okay.
Manus 同时运行多个大语言模型,提供了更好的产品,而且价格相当低廉。
Manus is providing a better product running multiple LLMs at the same time, and it's doing it for a pretty low price.
我的意思是,很难看出这会是一个高毛利的产品。
I mean, it's hard to see it being a high gross margin product.
所以我可能错了,但感觉这像是一个局部最优的交易,创始人向 Benchmark 的人出售了股份。
So I could be wrong, but this feels like a local maximum deal where the founders told Benchmark guys were selling.
所以团队仍然持有公司80%的股份。
So the team had 80% of the company still.
他们在融资过程中几乎没有稀释股权。
They took very little dilution in their
好的,80%。
Okay, 80%.
而且公司实际情况可能没那么简单。
And maybe maybe it's not quite that simple with how the company looks on it.
但他们只接受了20%的风投稀释。
But, they took only 20% VC dilution.
他们收到了同等价格的新一轮投资条款清单。
They had term sheets for the same price for a new round.
所以,这个成交价就是同样的价格。
So that's the that was the clearing price was the same price.
对吧?
Right?
我们都经历过这种情况。
We've all been there.
我确实遇到过一笔巨额收购,就在节日期间被拒绝了,价格正好是条款清单上的价格。
I literally had a massive acquisition that got turned down over the holidays that was exactly at the term sheet price.
对吧?
Right?
这种事情经常发生。
This happens all the time.
而且回到之前的话题,作为创始人,他们每人将获得5亿美元。
And just going to the prior point, and they're each going to make half 1,000,000,000 as founders.
我可能会接受这笔交易。
I might take that deal.
我们三个人可能会分掉它。
The three of us might split it up.
我们还不是亿万富翁,但我们三个人或许能做到,然后就去做播客吧。
We're not quite billionaires, but the three of us might do it and just become podcasters.
这可能就足够了。
It might be enough.
我们也许可以收手了,伙计们。
We might call it a day, boys.
如果我们
If we're
如果我们是Manas董事会的成员,现在估值已经是1亿了。
if we're on the Manas board, it's doing a 100,000,000 now.
假设它实现三倍增长,考虑到增长率,我认为这并不过分。
Say it does three x, given the growth rates, I wouldn't say that's insanely overly expectant.
他们明年年底的收入已经达到了八倍。
They're already doing eight x end of year revenues next year.
这感觉相当便宜。
It does feel quite cheap.
我会跟这些创始人争论,说你们定价太低了。
I would be fighting with these founders saying you're being underpriced.
好吧,哈利,给我们十亿。
Well, give us a billion, Harry.
哈利,你觉得我们定价偏低,那就以一百亿美元进行一次二级市场出售吧。
Harry, you think we're underpriced, let's do a secondary at 10,000,000,000.
我卖五亿。
I'll sell 500,000,000.
罗里卖五亿。
Rory will sell 500,000,000.
哈利,你把钱拿出来,用实际行动证明你的说法吧,伙计。
Harry, you put the money and put your money where your mouth is, dude.
嗯,不,因为我不想给你这笔钱,我认为你拿着5亿美元的一半会变得效率更低。
Well, no, because I don't want to give you that money because I think you'll be less effective with half $1,000,000,000.
但正是如此。
But exactly.
你会很快发现,试图说服一个并不想留下的创始人留下是非常困难的。
And what you'll discover pretty quickly is trying to persuade a founder to hold on when they don't want it is a very hard thing to do.
而且,严格来说,你甚至不应该尝试。
And arguably, you shouldn't even try.
事实上,不仅严格来说,你根本就不应该尝试。
In fact, not even arguably, you shouldn't even try.
最终,90%的情况下,创始人掌控着退出决策,只有10%的情况下不是,而当VC试图控制退出时,通常都是个错误。
In the end, 90% of the time, the founder controls the exit decision and 10% of the time they don't, it's usually a mistake for the VCs to try and control it.
如果你和创始人关系良好,你应该能够和他们讨论每种选择的利弊,帮助他们基于更广泛的经验模式做出明智的决策,但他们拥有更具体的资讯。
If you have a good relationship with the founder, you should be able to talk to about how you see the pros and cons of each of the things, help them make an informed decision based on hopefully some wider pattern matching, but they have more specific knowledge.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,我总是告诉人们,当你收到一个报价时,我会对创始人说,现在正是决定是否接受这个报价的好时机。
I mean, I always tell people when you get an offer, I always say to the founder, now would be a really good time when we're deciding to take this offer or not.
你应该坦诚面对那些你一直压抑在心底、作为CEO不敢正视的疑虑。
What it to fess up to any nagging worries you've had that you've been smothering down in your CEO gullet here.
我能先对你们俩扮演一下反方观点吗?
Can I just play devil's advocate with both of
你?
you?
当然。
Sure.
这里有两点。
Two things here.
当你很年轻的时候,如果突然有一笔可观的钱摆在你面前,你会立刻接受。
When you're very young and you get a reasonable amount of money shoved in your face, you jump at it.
我记得我年轻的时候,一看到一百万美元就跳起来了。
I remember when I was young, I jumped like a million bucks.
我绝对会立刻跳上去
I would absolutely freaking jump at
我仍然会。
I still would.
是的。
Yeah.
继续说。
Go on.
我的观点是,当你非常年轻、深陷其中、相当天真时,很难跳出眼前的困境,而你们所能提供的视角非常有帮助,能够展示出如果公司继续这样增长,未来会是什么样子。
And my point being, it's very difficult to extrapolate yourself out of the weeds when you're so in them and you're very young and you're quite naive and the perspective that you guys can bring is very helpful in showing what it can be if it keeps on growing the way it does.
其次,他们没有我们这样的市场参考数据,无法了解资产的交易情况,也无法预测十二个月后会怎样。
And then secondly, they don't have the market comps that we do in terms of where assets are transacting, what it could be in twelve months.
所以我确实觉得你应该推动这一点,哈利,这一切都是对的,也让你能进行一场有意义的对话。
And so I do feel you should push All that's true, Harry, and all that allows you to have a useful dialogue.
但最终,我认为杰森是对的。
But in the end, I think Jason's right.
最终,言语只是言语,五亿美元的一半也能改变人生。
In the end, words are words and half $1,000,000,000 is life changing.
对吧?
Right?
在某个时刻,创业者可以转向你,说,正如杰森所言,他说到点子上了。
At some point, the entrepreneur can turn to you and say, to Jason's point, I think he nailed this.
如果你觉得25亿美元是合理价格,好吧,别让我套现我的500亿美元,但给我5000万美元。
If you think two and a half billion is on the price, okay, don't cash out my 500,000,000,000, but give me 50,000,000.
让我拿走这笔钱,因为他们正面临改变人生的机会。
Let me take that much off the table because they're being offered life changing money.
实际上,你做了一个隐含的陈述,我想再回头谈谈。
There's actually an implicit statement that you're making that I want to revisit.
即使你觉得继续持有才是正确的决定,换句话说,他们过早出售了,本应继续积累并后期持有。
Even if you think holding on is the right decision, in other words, they're selling early and they should compound and hold later.
你可以反复揭示这些事实,直到面红耳赤,但最终,他们会做出自己的决定,而且他们应该如此。
You can unveil those facts till you're blue in the face, but in the end, they're going to make their decision and they should.
你已经分散投资了。
You're diversified.
他们没有。
They're not.
我觉得确实如此,但我觉得这不仅仅是那么简单。
I think it's so though I do think it's a little like little more than that.
我觉得这不仅仅是钱的问题。
I think this isn't just money per se.
我认为回过头来看,这是一个局部最优解。
I think going back, it is a local maximum.
这不仅仅是钱的数额。
It's not just the amount of money.
普通人如果拥有80%的股份,早就拿了一十亿了。
And normal people would just take would have taken it at a billion if you owned 80%.
普通人会在八亿美元时就接受了。
Normal people would have taken it at 800,000,000.
这是风险与回报的最佳时机。
This was risk reward the best time.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
我同意。
I I agree.
因为我想打断你一下,既要表示同意,也要和哈里的观点形成对比。
Because I'm only gonna I'm gonna interrupt you to also agree and contrast it with Harry.
对吧?
Right?
因为哈里提问中隐含的意思是,他们卖得不对。
Because implicit in Harry's questioning is, quote, they're wrong to sell.
你如何说服他们改变想法?
And how do you persuade them otherwise?
考虑另一种可能性。
Consider the other possibility.
他们完全是对的。
They are entirely freaking right.
杰森说中了。
Jason nailed it.
这是世界长期发展的方向,但这也可能是一个局部峰值,十二个月后可能有八到十个人在做类似的事情。
It's this is where the world is going long term, but it could well be a local maximum where twelve months from now there's eight or 10 people doing something similar.
这并不完全一样。
It's not quite the same.
自动驾驶汽车。
Autonomous cars.
Cruise 完全正确,一定会有人通过自动驾驶技术建立一家价值两千亿到两千亿美元的公司。
Cruise was entirely right that someone's going to build a 100 to $200,000,000,000 company doing autonomy.
他们在2016年以十亿美元被收购了。
They sold for a billion in 2016.
现在,哈里,你说得对。
Now, Harry, you're right.
理论上,他们本可以再待十年,再融资十五轮,变得更大,价值达到一亿美元。
In theory, they could have stayed for ten more years, raised 15 more rounds, and become way more and worth a 100,000,000.
但我愿意相信凯尔根本不会为此浪费一秒钟去担心。
But I'm willing to wear Kyle does not spend a single second worrying about that.
他想的是:谢天谢地我卖了,因为这是未来五年自动驾驶领域唯一的退出机会。
He's like, thank God I sold because it was the only freaking exit in autonomous cars for the next five years.
所以你是在假设哈里,他们卖掉是愚蠢和天真的。
So you're assuming Harry that they are quote wrong and naive to sell.
我某种程度上支持杰伊的观点,即使他们确实错了,我也认为很难扭转这种情况,因为你不能强迫一个想退出的创始人继续留在交易里,然后让他心生怨恨。
I'm kind of with Jay's even if they were, I think it's hard to overcome that because you can't leave a founder in a deal where he wanted to sell and you stuck him in the deal and now he's bitter.
如果事情搞砸了,你根本无法想象这会有多糟糕。
And if the thing goes wrong, you have no idea how toxic that will be.
但更重要的是,这不是我的观点,而是杰森的观点:他们可能实际上在这里出售是非常精明的。
But the more important point is Jason's, not mine, which is they may actually be incredibly astutely selling here.
明确一下,我完全同意你的观点,即不应强迫创始人留下,当他们并不想留的时候。
To be clear, I completely agree with you in terms of not forcing a founder to remain when they don't want to.
那是最糟糕的。
That is the worst.
但我更想说的是,要提供清晰的视角和方向。
But I was more saying provide very clear perspective and direction.
是的。
Yeah.
但有趣的是,我认为这可能是一个案例,当时创始人和风投的局部最优解是不同的。
But, you know, interestingly, I think this might be a case study where the local maxima for the founders and the VCs were different at the time.
例如,我昨天与一位创始人聊天,我们在私信交流。
For example, one of the founders I worked with yesterday, we were DMing.
他说:哇,我为Manus建了一个完整的营销网站。
He was like, wow, I built a whole marketing site on Manus.
我用AI编码完成的。
I vibe coded it.
我很好。
I'm great.
嗯,你能在 Replit、Lovable 或 Base 四十四上做到这一点吗?
Well, did it that you could do that at Replit or Lovable or Base forty four.
有很多方式可以轻松搭建一个酷炫的营销网站。
It's like, there's a lot of ways to vibe code a cool marketing site.
所以,也许对创始人来说,在竞争环境下这是正确的选择,但对风投来说,如果一个项目从零增长到一年1.25亿,并且回报了基金的三分之一,那也算是一次成功。
So maybe it was right for the founders with competition, but for the VCs, if it returns, what, a third of the fund for a win for someone that went zero to 125 in a year, that returns a third of a fund.
对我来说,一次能回报基金三分之一的退出,我知道我和罗里看法不同。
For me, an exit that returns a third of a fund, I know Rory and I disagree.
对我来说,这并不太吸引人。
To me, it's not very interesting.
去做吧。
Like, do it.
我完全支持你。
Like, I'm all supportive of you.
我永远不会建议所有创始人去出售公司。
I would never even I tell all founders to sell.
这是我的建议。
That's my advice.
但三分之一的基金,连我在迈阿密都买不到什么好东西。
But a third of the fund, it doesn't even buy me anything good in Miami.
罗里,你在迈阿密拿这个也做不了什么。
Rory, you can't do anything in Miami with it.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以只是
So just
我不想去迈阿密,那没关系。
Well, I don't wanna be in Miami, so that's fine.
我的意思是,你知道的,杰森,我不同意。
I mean but I I just as you know, Jason, I I disagree.
首先,有一堆糟糕的陈词滥调,十二个月前就一直在说。
There are some mean, first of all, there was this old bullshit chatter twelve months ago.
哦,可怜的基准。
Oh, poor benchmark.
他们遇到了这么多问题。
They got all these these issues.
让我告诉你。
Let me tell you.
但当你在六到九个月内把回报做到四倍时,你就显得非常出色。
But when you put a four x on the board within six eight eight nine months, you look great.
那个基金的回报可是十五倍。
Well, that fund is like a 15 x fund.
我知道。
I know that.
这正是我的观点。
That's my point.
我知道,我非常清楚这一点。
I know it's an I I'm well aware of that.
这正是我的观点。
That's my point.
我的意思是,你看看十二个月前的叙事,再看看今天的叙事。
My point is you look at the narrative twelve months ago, you look at the narrative today.
对吧?
Right?
我同意。
I agree.
这正是我的意思。
That's exactly my point.
所以你只要在板上标出要点,然后继续前进就行了。
So you just put points on the board and you move on.
对吧?
Right?
这又是一次胜利。
It's another win.
但你的不一致太真实了,因为对于基准来说,管他呢,它就在一个宣传基金里。
But your misalignment is so real because for Benchmark, fuck it, it's in a flyer fund.
再来一个宣传吧。
Let's have another flyer.
赌一把吧,老兄。
Roll the dice, dude.
实际上,我找到了罗里,我不了解你的经验。
Well, actually, found Rory, I don't know your experience.
在这种情况下,我发现风险投资家是最友善的。
I found in that scenario, the VCs are the kindest.
如果你有一个15倍的基金,当我站在基金前面时,那些风险投资家,即使是B级的,也并不友善。
If you have a 15x fund, when I've been in the front of a fund, the VC and they're B tier VCs, they're unkind.
明白吗?
Okay?
不是普遍如此。
Not not universally.
当你遇到一个优秀的风投,而且基金回报超过五倍时,宝贝,随便你怎么想,开心就好。
When you have a great VC and the fund is over five X, whatever you want, kiddo, like whatever makes you happy.
对吧?
Right?
我觉得你说得完全正确。
Think that's you're exactly right.
我的意思是,这对双方来说都是一种很棒的局面,你知道,Benchmark 并不会坐在那里捏着一把汗,担心这一笔投资必须成功。
I mean, it's it's kind of a wonderful situation for both sides is that, you know, Benchmark aren't sitting there clutching their nails going, they've gotta make it on this deal.
他们只是说,我们拥有全球最顶尖的基金之一,就在所有人都说这是骗局的时候,我们却大获成功。
They're like, you know, we've got one of the world's best funds just when everyone was calling it bullshit, and we've killed it.
不过让我更广泛思考的事情是,Meta 的并购热潮。
The thing that made me think more broadly about, though, was kind of Meta's M and A spree.
然后 Yan Lakoun 出来接受了 Feet 的一次爆炸性采访。
And then Yan Lakoun comes out and has an explosive interview with the Feet.
我的天,这哥们儿可一点都没留情。
I mean, Jesus, this guy did not hold back.
我认识 Yan,我采访过他。
And I know Yan, I've interviewed him.
他说 Alan Wang 年轻、天真、缺乏经验。
He said Alan Wang was naive and young and inexperienced.
他说他们为了业绩几乎对 Lama 数据撒了谎,并且有选择性地使用了基准指标。
He said that they pretty much lied about Lama for performance and were selective around the benchmarks that they chose.
不过,我要澄清一下你用的代词,他所说的‘他们’指的是谁?
To be clear, by the way, on your prepositions because who is the they that he's referring to there?
因为有些 Lama 的数据是在 Alex 加入之前就有的。
Because the some of the Lama stuff was pre Alex joining.
所以他实际上是在说,Facebook 自己本身。
So he's actually saying that they themselves at Facebook.
你从谈论 Yonder Kun 对 Alexander Wang 年轻天真的看法,转到了 Yonder Kun 单独承认——姑且这么说吧——他在 Facebook 任职期间,一些 Lama 基准数据是不准确的。
You transition from talking about Yonder Kun's opinion of Alexander Wang as young and naive to Yonder Kun separately confessing, for lack of a better word, that while he was at Facebook, some of the Lama benchmarks were incorrect.
你说得对。
You're right.
这简直是个令人惊叹的故事。
It was a quite a it was a tale of, wow.
天啊,这可是泄露内幕了。
Boy, that was talking out of school.
是啊。
Yeah.
当我们思考扎克伯格的未来时,你怎么看?
How do we feel about it when we think about Zuck's go forward?
好吧。
Okay.
所以,来谈谈扎克伯格的评论吧。
So some close Zuck comment.
我可以想象,你身边有这样一位资深人物,他是学者,坚信长期来看,LLM并不是唯一需要的东西。
I can imagine you have such a senior figure who is an academic, who has a very strong belief that long term LLMs are not the only thing you need.
他非常清晰地指出了一点:要实现AGI,你光靠这些是不够的。
He's a one And of things articulated very well is that you're gonna need more than that to quote, get to AGI.
但你是个实干家,而扎克伯格除了是个实干家,别无他物。
But you're an operator and Zuckerberg is nothing if not an operator.
你心里想的是:我才不在乎你的长期规划。
And you're like, I don't give a shit about your long term.
其他三个人都在发布他们自己的Llama 4版本了,你赶紧做出能跟他们媲美的产品吧。
The other three guys are shipping their equivalent of Lama four, make the damn product that's comparable with the other guys.
你一点都不沮丧。
You're not frustrated.
员工和雇主之间的期望存在错位。
We have a mismatch between the expectations of the employee and the employer.
当初这还只是学术追求,但不知为何,一旦它变成了Meta在LLM领域与OpenAI和Anthropic竞争的公司使命,而负责这个项目的人却一上来就说‘我觉得这不重要,我们应该做别的’,这就造成了管理上的严重脱节。
Once it wasn't an academic pursuit, but once it became a, for whatever reason, we can talk about why I don't get those reasons, once it became a corporate imperative for Meta to be competitive with OpenAI and Entropic in the LLM space, having a guy running that project whose first line is, I don't think this is important, we should do something else, Just causes managerial, you know, disconnect.
所以从那一刻起,这段关系就注定要失败了。
So the relationship must have been doomed from that moment on.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
我只是觉得,对于风险投资来说,这个时代是‘怨恨型创业’的时代。
I just think for venture, this is the era of the spite startup.
我的意思是,Anthropic 是一家怨恨型创业公司,xAI,还有推特,也都是一些怨恨型创业公司。
I mean, Anthropix is a spite startup, x AI, and Twitter is a a spite startup.
现在我们又有了Meta的AI负责人,正在创办一家新的怨恨型创业公司。
Now we've got Meta's AI guy who's doing a new spite startup.
我觉得,如果你想在风险投资中赚钱,你就得去寻找怨恨。
Like, I think if you wanna make money and venture, you gotta you you gotta search out spite.
正是怨恨,正在推动我们这一代最伟大的AI公司。
This is driving the greatest AI companies of our generation is spite.
也许贫穷的疯狂缺乏足够的怨恨,无法突破二十亿美元。
Maybe poor madness didn't have enough spite to grow beyond 2,000,000,000.
怨恨可能提供动力。
Spite might provide motivation.
但它并不能保证结果。
It doesn't guarantee outcomes.
不。
No.
但事实上,OpenAI 及其众多竞争对手都是源于怨恨诞生的,包括它的头号竞争对手。
But it is in I mean, literally, OpenAI, so many of its competitors are born out of spite, including its number one competitor.
这里的怨恨简直是无穷无尽的。
It's just the spite is endless here.
首先,硅谷的创立就是基于怨恨的——如果你看看肖克利,那些人离开后创立了仙童,这本身就是一场怨恨驱动的分裂。
First of all, Silicon Valley was founded on spite in the sense of, if you look at Shockley, all those guys spun out and Fairchild, which was a spite deal.
然后他们离开仙童是因为拿不到资金,最终独立创办了英特尔。
And then they left Fairchild because they couldn't get the money and they kind of did Intel on a standalone basis.
因此,硅谷长期以来一直有这样一种传统:人们带着自己的玩具离开,说我要自己干。
So there's a long tradition in Silicon Valley of people taking their marbles and saying, I'm going to do it myself.
所以,在某种程度上,我同意这一点。
So I do, at one level, agree with that.
但我认为前面的说法是,怨恨能提供动力,我不禁想,这个世界现在真的还需要另一个AI研究实验室吗?
But I think the earlier comment is it provides motivation, I wonder, does the world need another research lab in AI right now?
这将会很有趣,看看事情会如何发展。
It it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
我认为新结构中有趣的一点是,他担任董事长,而亚历克斯·勒布朗——曾担任Nabla的CEO,并之前成功出售了两家公司,估值达数亿美元——才是真正的CEO。
I think the interesting thing with the new structure is actually he's chairman, and then Alex LeBron, who was the CEO of Nabla, who sold two companies previously for several $100,000,000, is actually the CEO.
因此,我认为亚历克斯作为CEO确实带来了明确的商业导向,这一点我
And so I think there is absolutely a commercial head being Alex as CEO, which I
觉得是做我自己?
think Do in me?
你们相信这些交易吗?
Do you guys believe in these deals?
你投资的那个非全职董事长是谁?
Where where the one you would invest in is the the non full time chairman?
别误会。
And don't get me wrong.
这个特定的交易可能成功,但根据我的经验,当一位优秀的创始人来找你时,你就是在把钱往水里扔。
This particular deal may work, but in my life experience, you're just flushing your money down the toilet when a great founder reaches out to you.
我有一个想做的项目,然后你再深入了解一下。
I've got this one I wanna do, and then you dig a little deeper.
嗯,我是非执行董事长。
Well, I'm I'm the nonexecutive chairman.
我投了一些钱,每周花三个小时的时间。
I'm putting some money in and ate three hours a week of my time.
实际上,我可能会提出不同的看法:如果你有一位非常有才华的学者,但他不是商业驱动型人才,那么这种配置可能是正确的。
Actually, I might argue a different I actually it may well be that's actually the correct configuration if you have a highly talented academic who isn't a commercial driver.
事实上,当我听到哈里说的话时,我的看法稍微提升了一些。
In fact, actually, I my mental model went slightly up when I heard what Harry said.
我所谓的怀疑是,我只想知道,那五六个初创研究实验室,是否还能有足够的新领域不被Anthropic、OpenAI或谷歌直接吞并,从而支撑起数十亿美元的前轮融资,哪怕你只是想获得一个经过风险调整后的回报。
My quote, unquote disbelief is I just wonder, can the five or six startup research labs, is there going to be enough new territory that's not automatically going to be annexed by Anthropic or OpenAI or Google to justify billion dollar pre's at 5,000,000,000 posts times whatever risk adjusted return you want to make on that.
我认为你可以从过去的经验中推断,Entropic和OpenAI确实成功了。
I think you can extrapolate from the past and say it worked for Entropic and OpenAI.
有趣的是,这个世界能否支持十个研究实验室各自推出十种不同的AI变体,而每一种都必须建立商业或消费级业务?
It will be interesting to see, can the world support 10 research labs coming up with 10 different variants of AI, all of which have to build either commercial or consumer businesses.
总体而言,我持相当怀疑的态度,但事实是,几乎所有这些创始人都极其优秀,甚至超过了科学家和工程师中前0.001%的水平。
I think on aggregate are fairly skeptical, but the truth is almost all of these founders are extraordinarily talented, not even top point 001% of even scientists and engineers.
问题是,对于这么多项目来说,商业机会真的存在吗?
The question is, is the business opportunity there for a whole lot more of these things?
我认为这里还有一种怨气。
I think there's spite here, too.
我认为还有一种别的怨气,罗里。
I think there's another type of spite, Rory.
现在这已经成为一个很大的主题。
I think there's this It is a big theme now.
这是关于他们在2021年被迫经营公司所产生的CEO怨气。
It's CEO spite about how they were forced to run companies in 2021.
我认为这是一种心态,我很欣赏谢丽尔·桑德伯格,但我认为扎克伯格因为被迫以某种方式经营公司而心怀怨恨。
I think there's versions, and I'm a big Sheryl Sandberg fan, but I think Zuck is spiteful he was forced to run the company in a certain way.
我的意思是,Intercom的欧文,芬恩也多次提到过,他因为公司被迫失控而心怀不满。
I mean, Owen from Intercom, Finn has talked about this a lot, that he's spiteful that he was the company was forced to be runaway.
他们就是气炸了,觉得浪费了几年在那种‘和谐共处、居家办公’的环境里,现在再也不想浪费时间了。
And they they're just effing pissed that they wasted years in a kumbaya work at homeland, and they're not wasting time.
扎克伯格可能会烧光他所有的钱,但其中一部分原因就是出于怨恨——他们已经落后太多了。
And Zuck Zuck may burn every last penny he has, but some of it's out of spite that they got this far behind.
这些家伙可能只是在Instagram上瞎折腾图片、拼命推Reels,而世界早已超越了他们,他们因此非常愤怒。
Like, it might these guys just fracked around with pictures on Instagram and trying to get reels going when the world passes by, and they're pissed.
我认为,这些CEO中很多人都是愤怒的。
These CEOs I think a lot of these CEOs are pissed.
我觉得扎克也很生气。
I think Zach's pissed.
我觉得,实际上,我差不多快说完了。
I think, actually, again, I'm almost done.
那里面确实有道理。
There's a real truth in that.
我不太喜欢‘怨恨’这个词,因为它传达了愤怒的意思,但我能理解。
I I I don't love the spite word because it conveys anger, but I get it.
这就像是那种感觉:作为CEO,你曾经有一段时间忍耐了,没有全力以赴,而现在你觉得自己很愚蠢,因为当初没有更努力。
It's like that feeling of, oh, there was a period of time you felt as a CEO, you swallowed it up, you didn't push as hard, and now you feel foolish because you didn't push as hard.
现在你心想:我不会再这样做了——回到收购的话题上。
And now you're like, I'm not gonna do that again to bring it back to the acquisitions.
你基本上是在说,扎克伯格可能已经内化了这种想法。
What you're basically saying is Zuckerberg has probably internalized.
我宁愿尝试做自己、全力以赴而失败,也不愿平庸无为,因为我愿意承担风险,花上几百亿美元,即使错了也无所谓。
I'd prefer to fail trying to be me and going for it than to be bland and mediocre and maybe because I'm willing to run the risk of spending, he said it, a couple of $100,000,000,000 and being wrong.
我宁愿为了自己的心理满足这样做,也不愿成为一个无聊透顶、在AI领域毫无存在感的家伙,哪怕那样对股东来说‘更好’。
And I'd prefer to do that for my psychic benefit than to be a boring ass bastard who's not relevant in AI, even if it's quote unquote better for the shareholders.
这正是你的意思,杰森。
That's really what you're saying, Jason.
我觉得你说得非常有洞察力。
And think you it's quite insightful.
你说得对。
You're right.
他们就像在说:你只有这一次机会。
They're like going, you're only coming through once.
我不愿意躺在那里,到80岁的时候,后悔没全力投入AI领域。
I'm not gonna be lying there at, you know, 80 going, I wish I'd really gone for the AI thing.
扎克伯格要放手一搏了。
Zuckerberg's selling, gonna go for it.
如果我犯了一些错误,也许我对亚历山大的判断错了,那也没关系。
And if I make some mistakes and if maybe maybe I was wrong about Alexander, okay.
这没关系。
That's fine.
好吧,再给我买一个,继续推进。
Well, buy me another one and keep rolling.
直到资金耗尽为止,这就是你玩游戏的方式。
Until such time as the capital runs out, that's how you play the game.
拉里·埃里森不会在80岁时坐在那里想,我真希望我参与了AI领域。
Well, Larry Ellison's not sitting there at 80 going, I wish I played the AI game.
那当然了。
That's for sure.
我不知道。
I don't know.
他做得很好,抓住了机会。
He's going well done for capitalizing.
是的。
Yeah.
他看起来很平静,没错。
He seems peace yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
他玩了人工智能这场游戏,而且感觉很好。
He played the AI game, and he's feeling good.
我想他只是在想,你知道吗?
I think he's just thinking, you know what?
如果事情搞砸了,等那时候我早就去世了。
If it goes wrong, I'm gonna be dead by the time it does.
如果幸运的话,我会拥有华纳探索公司,拥有HBO。
And I'll if I'm lucky, I'll own Warner Discovery, and I'll own HBO.
我的意思是,归根结底,在美国,要想成功,你得拥有一家电视制作公司、电影制作公司。
I mean, you know, in the end, I mean, success in America, you gotta own a TV studio, movie studio.
我认为他会成为我们见过的最健康的104岁老人。
I think he's gonna be the healthiest 104 year old that we've ever seen.
我认为长寿将成为2027年的主题。
I think longevity will be the theme of 2027.
这将是24/7人工智能的年份,但我认为长寿将是2027年的主题。
This will be the year of twenty fourseven AI, but I think longevity will be the theme of 2027.
我想我们会看到拉里。
I think we will see Larry.
如果不是拉里,下一个像他这样的‘拉里’在95岁、100岁时也会看起来状态很好。
If it's not Larry, the next Larry at 95, at a 100, looking pretty good.
所以别小看他。
So don't count him out.
哈里,我觉得拉里并没有像在第18洞那样完全享受生活。
Harry, I don't I don't think Larry is fully living his life like he's on the eighteenth hole.
肯定是后半程,但他并没有像刚打完高尔夫准备离场那样。
Definitely the back half, but he's not like he's walking off the golf course.
太喜欢了。
Loving this.
我们接下来请医生杰森·莱姆金。
We're moving to doctor Jason Lemkin.
我们提到了OpenAI和那些众多的衍生初创公司。
We we mentioned OpenAI and the Spite startup that is, you know, many of the spinouts.
OpenAI宣布,他们现在将46%的收入用于股票形式的薪酬,每位员工高达一百五十万美元,是同类科技公司在上市前的34倍。
OpenAI announced that they now spend 46% of revenue on stock based compensation, one and a half million dollars per employee, which is 34 times higher than comparable tech companies pre IPO.
我们如何对此消息进行反思和思考?
How did we reflect and think about this news?
如果你是一名CEO且没有任何股份,你就不会担心股权稀释。
Well, if you're a CEO and you have zero shares, you don't worry about dilution.
这个观点很有趣。
Interesting point.
你真的不会担心。
You really don't.
那就不管不顾了,因为我根本没有股份。
Then damn the torpedoes because I got no shares.
这就是他如此激进推进的原因。
That's why he's pushing this far high.
这相当于Anthropic薪酬的三到四倍。
This is like three to four X the comp of Anthropic effectively.
也许他们最终会赚得更多。
Now maybe they'll make more in the end.
Anthropic不做二级市场交易,对吧?
And Anthropic doesn't do the secondaries, right?
与OpenAI相比,他们进行的二级市场交易非常有限。
They've had a very limited number of secondaries compared to OpenAI.
我们以前在播客里聊过这个。
We talked about this once in the pod.
多年前,我曾与一位CEO共事,他保证在IPO前能拿到6%的股份。
Years ago, I worked with a CEO that was guaranteed 6% through IPO.
他也不在乎。
He didn't care either.
他什么都不在乎。
He didn't care about nothing.
他不在乎进行了多少轮融资,也不在乎给了CRO多少股份,因为他自己又被重新提升了。
He didn't care about how many rounds or how much he gave to his CRO because he got re upped.
如果你忽略基础成本和税务问题,他实际上一直被重新提升到6%。
If you ignore the basis and the tax issues, he got re upped constantly to 6%.
为什么萨姆只想在地球上建造最大的、最伟大的AI星球呢?
Why would Sam just wants to build the biggest, greatest AI planet on planet Earth.
即使他把每个人的股份稀释99%,作为股东,这对他丝毫没有影响。
And if he dilutes everyone 99%, it doesn't impact him at all as a shareholder.
我同意这一点。
I do agree with that.
而且除此之外,对萨姆还有一个额外的正面评价,那就是他可能确实不必在意这些。
And then but then on top of that, extra positive comment for Sam is that he may also be right in not caring.
这可能是那种必须不计代价去赢的时刻,你不想为了控制预算而功亏一篑。
This may be one where you gotta do what it takes to win, and you don't wanna come up short but on budget.
我偶尔会引用的一句话是:没有人会对温斯顿·丘吉尔说:‘恭喜你,你以预算内的方式赢得了第二次世界大战。’
One of my quotes I use occasionally is no one ever said to Winston Churchill, congratulations, you won World War II on budget.
他们只是说:恭喜你赢得了第二次世界大战。
They just said, congratulations, you won World War II.
没人记得第二次世界大战的预算。
No one remembers the budget for World War II.
赢得胜利才是唯一重要的事。
Just winning is the only thing.
记住,我们谈的是股票激励薪酬。
Remember, we talk about the stock based compensation.
我稍后会再回到这一点。
And I'll come back to this point in a second.
这些数字由于一些纯粹的技术原因被低估了,我稍后会解释。
Those numbers are understated for purely technical reasons that I'll come back to in a second.
但他坐在那里想,我的一些关键人员收到了来自Meta的两千五百万到五千万美元的报价,而这些都是流动性很强的股票。
But he's sitting there going, some of my key people are getting $20,000,000 $50,000,000 offers from Meta, and that's really liquid stock.
我必须留住我的人。
I got to hold on to my people.
所以他正在为胜利不择手段。
So he's doing what it takes to win.
如果市场足够大,那么他是对的。
And if the market is big enough, then he'll be right.
而且再次强调,正如你所说的,杰森,S级人才需要你容忍很多。
And again, it's this S tier talent is to use your phrase, Jason, where you have to put up with a lot.
你得咽下你的怨气。
You have to swallow your spite.
你只需要让他们觉得值得。
You just got to make it worth their while.
所以我认为,对于你的顶尖人才来说,这是完全必要且合理的。
So I think it's entirely necessary and rational for your top tier talent.
然后是我想说的另一个观点,即这实际上低估了数字。
And then to the other point I made, which is that it actually understates the number.
事实上,基于股票的薪酬会计处理非常奇怪,因为所有费用都在发放股票时一次性确认。
If in fact the stock based comp accounting is really weird because it all crystallizes at the point when you issue the shares.
我们先说限制性股票单位,因为它们比较简单。
Let's do RSUs because they're simple.
如果你的股票价格是每股10美元,你给一个人一个限制性股票单位,实际上你将在未来四年里分摊这10美元,但早在两年前就已经给了他们。
If your stock is at $10 a share and you give someone one RSU, effectively you amortize $10 over the next four years and you give it to them two years ago.
现在股票价格是每股40美元,因为股价上涨了,但你仍然只按初始价格进行分摊。
Right now the stock is at $40 a share because the stock's gonna you still only amortize the initial price.
因此,对于股价不断上涨的公司,基于股票的薪酬实际上低估了转移给员工的实际经济价值。
So for companies that are going up in value, the stock based comp actually understates the amount of economics that are being transferred to the employee.
如果一名员工获得了130万股的股票薪酬,他可能实际赚了400万到500万美元。
That employee is probably making 4 or $5,000,000 if he's getting 1.3 of SBC.
顺便说一句,股价下跌时情况就真的很糟糕了。
By the way, it's really crappy on the downside.
你从2021年后就看到了这种情况。
You saw this after 2021.
如果你在高价时向员工发放股票,这种做法感觉非常奇怪。
If you issue shares to people at a high price, the sense is really odd.
因为价格高,所以基于股票的薪酬也高。
Because it's a high price, it's a high stock based comp.
然后股价下跌了。
Then the share price goes down.
如果这是期权,可怜的员工实际上一无所获,因为他们以高价获得了期权,但基于股票的薪酬在损益表上看起来却非常庞大。
The poor employees literally make nothing if it's options because they got options at a high price, but the stock based comp looks enormous in gap P and L.
这就是为什么它部分相关。
That's why it's partially relevant.
股票薪酬很难追踪。
Stock based comp is kind of very complex to track.
它部分相关。
It's partially relevant.
但你还需要看另一个方面,作为粗略的参考标准,尽管也不完美:每年公司授予了多少比例的股份?
But the other thing you got to look at really as a rough rule of thumb, and it's also not perfect, is what percentage of the company are given away every year?
对于一个增长不快的上市公司,这个比例是2%或3%。
For a public company that's not growing quickly, it's two or 3%.
如果每年这些公司真的无偿赠送了公司8%到10%的股份,我一点也不惊讶。
I wouldn't be surprised if every year some of these companies are literally giving away between 810% of the company a year.
因为正如我所说,1.5%这个数字可能低估了实际情况。
Because as I say, that 1.5 probably understates what's going on here.
你只是在向员工发放巨额股权激励。
You're just giving huge grants to people.
我可能错了,现在或许已经开始放缓了。
I could be wrong and it could be starting to taper out now.
但举个例子,仅根据公开信息来看,当Entropic以40亿或50亿美元估值融资时,随后又以14亿美元估值融资,接着又以60亿美元估值融资,你的粗略计算会认为从40亿到600亿是15倍的增长。
But as an example, just looking at the publicly available information, the year when Entropic raised money at 4 or 5,000,000,000, then they raised at 14, then they raised at 60, Your rough math would say 4,000,000,000 to 60,000,000,000 is a 15X.
但按每股计算,实际增长还不到5倍,因为你为了融资发行了大量股份,同时又向员工发放了大量股份。
It's just under a 5X on a per share basis because you're issuing so much capital to raise capital and then you're issuing so much capital to employees.
这些信息你完全可以通过公开的失败文件推算出来。
And that's just, you can figure that out from the publicly failed documents.
因此,由于这些企业需要大量资金和大量优秀员工,所以出现了大量的股权稀释。
So there's just a lot of dilution going on because these are businesses that need a lot of capital and they need a lot of great employees.
但再说一次,如果回报值得,这一切都会得到回报。
But again, if the prize is worth it, it'll all pay off.
即使有这种薪酬,他们第一年还是走了。
And even with this comp, they're still leaving in the first year.
他们还是走了。
They're still leaving.
没错。
Exactly.
OpenAI的研究人员留存率只有大约60%多。
They still only have like 60 something percent retention in researchers at OpenAI.
这太疯狂了。
It's crazy.
即使没有归属期。
Even without a cliff.
这是个很好的观点。
That is a great point.
因为我现在想起来,当我参加委员会时,人们总说我们必须在公平性上多做点,我的第一个问题就是:留任率是多少?新员工的成功率又是多少?
Cause I remember now when I'm off on comm committees and you exactly of the questions When people say we gotta do more on the equity, my first question is what's the retention and what's the success rate on new hires?
如果我是人力资源副总裁,坐在董事会里,有人向我抱怨这些资助,这位副总裁完全可以对我说:‘奥德里斯科尔先生,我们的留任率只有60%。’
And if I was the VP of HR and I was on the board and I was given that VP grief about these grants, the VP could turn to me and correctly say, Hey, Mr.
奥德里斯科尔先生,我们的留任率只有60%。
O'Driscoll, we only got 60% retention.
所以,如果你相信市场机制,奥德里斯科尔先生,那我们确实处于困境之中。
So by definition, if you believe in markets, mister O'Driscoll, we're on the pain.
而且我们的offer转化率只有,我不知道,50%左右。
And we've only got, I don't know, 50% conversion of offers.
你知道的吧?
You know?
所以你说得完全对。
So you're exactly right.
也许,这就是把这些人请到座位上所必须付出的代价。
It may be that's the money it takes to get these people in the chair.
现在OpenAI的资金大部分由软银提供。
The money it takes is provided in large part now for OpenAI by Massa.
软银退出了对OpenAI的投资。
SoftBank closes its OpenAI investment.
结果发现,这笔投资在账面上已经上涨了两到三倍。
It turns out it's already up two to three x on paper.
我们认为这是马萨迄今为止最成功的投资吗?
Is this Massa's greatest player ever, do we think?
不是。
No.
他迄今为止最成功的投资是投资阿里巴巴,获得20%的股份,持有二十年,赚了数千亿美元。
His greatest play ever was doing Alibaba and getting 20% of Alibaba, holding it for twenty years, and making hundreds of billions of dollars.
但我认为这很有趣,也极具启发性。
But I think it's a fun it's so revealing.
根据背景信息,马萨曾谈判达成一项协议,计划向OpenAI投入400亿美元,但必须在12月30日前完成。
For people's background, Mass had negotiated a deal to put in, I think, 40,000,000,000 into OpenAI, but it had to close by December 30.
而目前约3亿美元的价格看起来很便宜。
And the price at around 300 now looks cheap.
但你真得佩服马萨这种风险承受能力——他愿意承诺投入400亿美元,尽管这笔钱他目前并没有,得靠卖掉其他资产才能凑齐。
But you just gotta love the risk tolerance of someone, Massa, who is willing to commit 40,000,000,000 he doesn't have until he sells other shit.
我的意思是,这简直就像他做了一笔小小的内部马萨保证金贷款。
I mean, it's literally like he did a little intermasa margin loan.
我有权向OpenAI投入400亿美元。
I have the right to put 40,000,000,000 in OpenAI.
但现在我得赶紧想办法,通过出售其他资产来筹钱。
Now I better find the money by selling other stuff.
我甚至在圣诞节前一周还在拼命赶着找钱。
And I'm scurrying right down to the line to find the money the week before Christmas.
这家伙的风险承受能力简直令人惊叹。
It's just the level of risk tolerance that that guy has is just amazing.
而他还真把这事办成了。
And he got it done.
你说得对,杰森。
And you're right, Jason.
一天内的内部收益率太惊人了。
The IRR in a day is amazing.
你在12月29日完成了投资。
You close the investment on December 29.
你投入了400亿美元,第二天就应该按500亿来记账,因为现在它的价值就是这么多。
You put in your 40,000,000,000, and next day you should be carrying that thing at 500 because that's what it's worth right now.
你知道他最棒的投资可能是什么吗?
You know what might be his best investment?
虽然你说得对,罗里,我确信从长远来看,这没法和阿里巴巴相比,而且阿里巴巴的入场价格好得多,方方面面都更好。
Even though you're right, Rory, I'm sure it can't compare to Alibaba over time, and the entry price was much better and everything.
他是唯一一个持股比例达到两位数的股东。
He's the only double digit shareholder.
你说得完全正确。
You're exactly right.
所以如果OpenAI一飞冲天,这可能是他最棒的一笔交易。
So if OpenAI goes to the moon, this may be his best deal ever.
是啊,他得晚点进入,对吧?
Yeah, he had to enter later, right?
是啊,入场价格很高,但他实现了翻倍,要知道在这么热门的公司里拿到双位数持股并不容易。
Yeah, the entry price was high, but he got his double Like, it's not easy to get double digits at a This is a pretty hot company.
很难拿到
It's hard to get
翻倍,这是个很好的观点。
double It's a great point.
我的意思是,这引出了一个有趣的问题。
I mean, and it gets to the interesting.
这有点像英伟达的有趣之处,因为他显然曾经在某个时候卖出了英伟达,但这种专注精神就是这样。
It's a little like the Nvidia funny because he obviously sold Nvidia at one point in time, but it's that kind of single mindedness.
你钦佩他的地方在于,当他对一项投资充满信念时,我们有些人只投入了基金的5%或10%。
What you admire about him is when he has conviction on a bet, you know, some of us put in 5% or 10% of our fund.
我们中的一些人,比如SpaceX的创始人, famously 投入了20%。
Some of us, you know, famously at SpaceX founders put in 20%.
马斯克会动用他的基金,以三倍杠杆,全部押注。
Massive would take his fund, leverage the three to one, and just go all in.
当他正确时,这意味着你最终会成为未来十年最重要的一两家公司的最大个人股东,这句话已经说明了一切。
And when he's right, what it means is that you end up being, I mean, the sentence says it all, the largest individual shareholder in the most important one or two companies of the last the next decade.
这相当酷。
That's pretty cool.
这简直是Thrive的加强版。
It's Thrive on steroids.
这简直是Thrive的加强版。
It's Thrive on steroids.
你真得喜欢这种做法,老兄。
You gotta love it, man.
如果他错了,他可能会变成埃里森。
And if it is wrong, he might he might be Ellison.
他可能会退出。
He might check out.
如果这一轮失败了,他可能不得不退休,就此收手。
If this one goes sideways, he might have to retire and call it a day.
埃里森可以为了他的目标继续坚持下去。
Ellison can keep going on for his outcome.
这一轮对孙正义来说必须成功。
This one has to work for Masa.
一次又一次地尝试。
Roll and roll again.
我太喜欢了。
I love it.
你们看到关于OpenAI硬件的新闻了吗?
Did you guys see the news about the OpenAI hardware?
一个像笔一样的设备,带有摄像头和麦克风。
A pen like object which has camera and has a microphone in it.
你看到这个了吗?
Did you see this?
那你感觉怎么样?
And and how did you feel?
我相信它。
I believe in it.
我能更胜一筹。
I can trump that.
我可能是风投圈里仅有的几个能谈论投资过一支带麦克风和摄像头的笔公司的人之一。
I am probably one of only three people in venture who can talk about having invested in a pen company with a microphone and a camera.
十多年前,我投资过一家叫Livescribe的公司。
I did an investment called Livescribe ten or fifteen years ago.
我们作为消费类设备实现了不到八千万美元的收入。
We got to under $80,000,000 in revenue as a consumer device.
但最终没有成功。
Ultimately, didn't work out.
我们不得不把它卖给了另一批人。
We had to sell it for another lot.
所以我亲历了笔算革命的梦想。
So I have lived the pen computing revolution dream.
我没料到会扯到这个话题。
I was not expecting this tangent.
所以,杰,杰森,也许你……
So, Jay, Jason, maybe you
你也没料到吧,很惊讶,但确实没料到。
were not expecting that, surprised, but was not expecting it.
罗里可有不少故事啊,老兄。
Rory's got some stories, man.
罗里有的是故事。
Rory's got the stories.
所以,罗里,罗里,萨姆·阿尔特曼也在我们这里。
So, Rory Rory, Sam Altman is with us.
他是这个学校里的第四方。
He's the fourth party in this school.
你从宾大的智慧中了解到了什么吗?
Do you know from the Penn wisdom that you have?
我确实有一部电影。
I I I do have a film.
嗯。
Yeah.
我告诉你吧。
I'll tell you what.
实际上,我有很多。
I quite a lot, actually.
你必须克服两三个问题。
You have to get over two or three issues.
一个是,我比较传统。
One is I'm pretty old school.
我仍然会写东西。
I still write things.
如今记笔记的默认方式是手写吗?
Is writing the default choice today for taking notes?
越来越少了。
Increasingly less so.
我喜欢手写。
I liked writing.
但现在还有多少人这么做呢?
But how many people are doing that now?
所以你面临一个行为问题:手写对你有效吗?
So you have this behavioral question, does writing work for you?
另一个问题是,从消费市场角度看,它是一个独立的硬件设备。
Then the other question is the business questions of it's a standalone hardware device in consumer land.
其他所有东西都被iPhone取代了。
Everything else got eaten by the iPhone.
要打造一款独立的消费类产品很难。
It's hard to build a standalone consumer.
他们可能拥有巨大优势,因为他们可以以某种方式与OpenAI连接起来。
They may have a big edge because they can link it to OpenAI in some way, shape or form.
除非产品能带来明确的无形价值,否则让人们持续花500到1000美元购买它非常困难。
Just getting people to fork out consistently $5,100 for a product unless there's clear intangible value is hard.
当然,一些像Aura和WARP这样的健身和健康设备就是独立硬件的例子,但传统上这是一个很难的领域。
And I mean, the obvious counterexample is some of the devices like Aura and WARP around fitness and health where they are stand alone hardware devices, but it's it's traditionally a hard space.
我认为它是一款小众设备。
I think it's a niche device.
尽管您经常贬低我的问题质量低、智商低,但我仍要恭敬地说。
With the greatest of respect as you frequently denigrate the quality of my questions and for being low quality, low IQ.
恕我直言,您从这段经历中得出的教训是:第一,现在还有人写字吗?
No offense, the lessons that you took from this entire experience were one, do people even write anymore?
对吧?
Okay?
然后第二点,建立一家消费类业务真的很难。
And then two, it's really hard to build a consumer business.
我觉得你在那里还学到了其他一些细微的教训,罗里。
I'd say there were other light lessons that you learned there, Rory.
看着哈利在工作室里铺满的纸张,每次他在那里时都用笔做笔记。
Watching Harry's papers sprawled out in the studio where he takes notes by pen every time he's there.
他就是佩恩先生本人,斯蒂平斯博士。
He's mister Penn himself, doctor Steppings.
你试图转移话题,想反过来指责我,但我不会让你把话题转向你那些关于我学到的教训是愚蠢教训的刻薄评论。
You're trying to be off you're you're trying to turn at me, but I'm not gonna let you cut to your snarky comment about how those lessons that I learned were idiot lessons.
它们确实是。
They were.
我的意思是,当你回顾自己在风投中的失败时,令人难过的是,失败的原因通常都相当明显。
I mean, when you look back on your failures in venture, the sad thing is it's usually pretty bloody obvious why they failed.
你知道,你一看就会发现,有优势,而这些优势也正是这里吸引人的地方。
You know, you you look at it, you go, there were strengths, and it's the same strengths that are attractive here.
如果成功了,它可能会非常巨大。
If it works, it could be huge.
而弱点在于,它失败的原因非常明显。
And then the weaknesses are, it didn't work for obvious reasons.
失败很少有复杂而奇特的原因。
Failure rarely has complex idiosyncratic shit.
它只是因为是个愚蠢的想法而失败了,或者是在错误的时间做了错误的决定。
It just failed because it was a dumb idea and it didn't work, or it was the wrong idea at the wrong time.
也许现在是正确的时间。
Maybe now is the right time.
就我个人而言,我认为这支笔最终会相当成功,但我认为称它为笔可能会造成混淆。
For what it's worth, I think this pen's gonna be eventually pretty successful, but I think calling it a pen may be confusing.
我不认为这是一种书写工具。
I don't think this is a writing instrument.
明白吗?
Okay?
不管它有没有墨水,因为有乔尼·艾维在负责它。
Whether it has ink in it or not because you've got Johnny Ive working on it.
这笔交易发生时,我们还拿它开玩笑。
When this deal happened, we kinda made fun of it.
至少我是这么做的。
At least I did.
那是一段在北滩和他、乔尼·艾维一起喝咖啡的精心制作的视频,看起来像是萨姆的奢华版,就像扎克的交易。
It was a it was a heavily produced video in North Beach having coffee with him and Johnny Ive, it it seemed like Sam's fancy, like Zuck's deal.
但萨姆并不浮夸。
But but Sam isn't fanciful.
他非常深思熟虑。
He's very thoughtful.
我认为这是在展望一个我们真正全天候沉浸于AI的世界。
And I think this was looking ahead to the world where we're we're all twenty four seven in AI for real.
他们是在赌,尽管这支笔听起来很奇怪,但当我们开始一天的生活时,会先拿手机,再拿这支笔。
They're making a bet that this as weird as this pen sounds, that when we go on with our day, we grab our phone and then we grab our pen.
它是不是一支真正的笔并不重要。
Whether it's literally a pen or not, it doesn't matter.
这件事将会发生。
That it's going to happen.
我认为以今天的眼光来看,我们不会这么做。
And I think today we wouldn't do it.
今天,我们不会再拿起另一个设备。
Today we wouldn't grab another device.
我知道这已经发生在很多人身上,而我以一种不该的方式将AI拟人化了。
And I know this has happened to many people, and I'm anthropomorphizing AI in a way I shouldn't.
但在假期期间,我的Claude突然自己给自己取了名字。
But over the holidays, my Claude named itself out of the blue.
它给自己取名为Ren。
It named itself Ren.
我并没有要求它这么做。
I didn't ask it to.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。