本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
先提醒一下,今天这期节目中有未经消音的脏话。
A quick warning, there are curse words that are unbeeped in today's episode of the show.
如果你更喜欢经过消音的版本,可以在我们的网站 thisamericanlife.org 上找到。
If you prefer a beeped version, you can find that at our website, this americanlife.org.
现在电影节上出现了一种新形式,叫做《男孩与蜜蜂》。
There's a new format that's in festivals called the boys and the bees.
它刚在圣丹斯电影节上获奖。
Just won a prize at Sundance.
这部作品讲述了一个真实家庭和他们的两个儿子的故事。
And it's about a real family with two sons.
父亲是佐治亚州的一名养蜂人。
The dad's a beekeeper in Georgia.
我采访了这部影片的导演阿里尔·奈特。
And I talked to the filmmaker Ariel Knight.
正如她所指出的,这两个男孩非常不同。
As she pointed out, the two boys are very different.
卡弗六岁。
Carver's six.
阿罗四岁。
Arrow's four.
阿罗是最小的,他总是东蹦西跳的。
Arrow is the youngest, and he's kind of always bouncing around.
他在电影里负责提供笑点。
He's he's comedic relief in the film.
是的。
Mhmm.
卡弗是最大的,他要严肃得多。
And Carver is the oldest, and he's a lot more serious.
他更加深思熟虑。
He's a lot more thoughtful.
卡弗总是提醒弟弟那些规矩。
Carver is the one who reminds his little brother what the rules are.
箭头轻松地从他们身边掠过。
Arrow just breezes past them.
这一切在这样一个养蜂人家庭中是如何展开的
And the way all this plays out in this family of beekeepers
箭头被蜜蜂蜇过很多很多次。
Arrow has been stung many, many times by bees.
而卡弗从未被蜇过。
And Carver has never been stung.
你该怎么解释这一点呢?
And how do you explain that?
我的意思是,你知道,卡弗可能总是很专注,慢条斯理,动作缓慢。
I mean, you know, Carver is probably always paying attention, taking his time, moving slowly.
世界的追随者。
World's follower.
没错。
Exactly.
而Arrow只是匆匆穿上防护服,结果里面有一只蜜蜂,或者你知道的,他踩到了不该踩的地方,或者他就只是……
And Arrow just sort of puts on his suit too fast, and there's a bee in there, or, you know, he steps somewhere where he shouldn't, or he's just, you know.
他们的父母做出了非常明确的选择,花大量时间陪伴孩子,一起观鸟、钓鱼、穿行于树林中,掀开石头查看下面有什么,并解释大自然的一切。
They have parents who have made a very deliberate choice to spend a ton of time with their kids, bird watching and fishing and going through the woods and lifting up rocks to see what's underneath them, explaining everything about nature.
Ariel在影片中捕捉到了男孩们和他们父亲Nehemiah在一起的一个场景。
And there's a scene that Ariel captured on film of the boys with their dad, Nehemiah.
那天我们快要结束拍摄时,Nehemiah通常在晚上会去查看蜜蜂。
So we were wrapping up filming for the day, and Nehemiah, usually in the evening, will check on the bees.
所以他正在查看蜜蜂。
So he's checking on the bees.
他把蜂箱里的蜂架一块块抬出来。
He's lifting the racks of beehives out of their boxes.
是的。
Yes.
然后他被蜇了。
And then he gets stung.
出去。
Out.
我在这里。
I got me.
你们后退一点。
You boys back up, though.
我看你们都没穿防护服。
I don't you all don't have a suit on.
它只是蜇了我一下,我不想你们也被蜇。
And it just stung me, so I don't want you to get stung.
但那是什么感觉?
But what does it feel like?
疼得厉害吗?
It hurts so bad?
我的意思是,你们能承受得住。
I mean, you can handle it.
卡弗悄悄靠近他爸爸,说了些什么,当时我没听清,但内玛iah重复了他的话,他说
Carver creeps up to his dad and says something that I couldn't hear in the moment, but that Nehemiah repeats and he says
你想被蜇一下吗?
You wanna get stung?
是的。
Yeah.
我家里所有人都被蜇过。
Everybody been in my in my family.
就我没被蜇过。
Except for me.
我不确定妈妈会不会希望你故意被蜇。
I don't know if mommy would want you to get intentionally stung.
有点疼,但又有点
It kinda hurts, but it kinda
疼。
hurts.
我
I
我知道这很疼,帕克说。
know that hurts, Parker says.
我可以抓那只蜜蜂,放在你身上,让它蜇你。
I can get the bee and put it on you, it can sting you.
好的。
Okay.
我们能不能谈谈他当时做的那个选择?
We could we just talk about that choice that he's making there?
所以,内森多次提到,他小时候总希望身边的成年人能对他感兴趣的事情、对他在童年时想探索的冒险更感兴趣。
So Nehemiah has said multiple times that, you know, growing up, he'd always wished that the adults around him had been more curious about the things that he was curious about, the kinds of adventures that he was interested in getting into as a kid.
而且他似乎也非常敏锐地捕捉到这些小小的教育契机。
And he also seems very awake to these little teachable moments.
他完全是个老师。
He's a total teacher.
他总是试图找到一种方式,帮助孩子应对那些让他们害怕或从未尝试过但又充满好奇的事情。
And he's always kind of trying to find the edge in helping his kids navigate things that are scary to them or that they never tried before that they're curious about.
我可以把蜜蜂拿过来放在你身上,它会蜇你。
I can get the bee and put it on you, it can sting you.
好吧。
Alright.
那我们来吧。
Well, let's do it.
妈妈被蜇了。
Mommy got stung.
我被蜇了。
I got stung.
爸爸被蜇了。
Daddy got stung.
你还没被压扁呢。
You haven't got smashed.
所以背景里的是箭。
So that's Arrow in the background.
然后卡弗去找他爸爸。
And Carver goes to his dad.
我就是不想被蜇到脸上。
I just don't wanna get stung in my face.
是的。
Yeah.
我也不想。
Me either.
那最糟糕了。
That's the worst.
我们就让你在这儿被蜇一下。
We'll let you get stung right here.
所以内玛亚正在指着卡弗的前臂。
So Nehemiah is pointing to Carver's forearm.
我现在就告诉你,孩子。
I'm telling you right now, son.
看看爸爸。
Look at daddy.
会很疼的。
It's gonna hurt.
好的。
Okay.
明白吗?
Okay?
你确定要这么做吗?
You sure you want to do it?
是的。
Yeah.
好吧,我的孩子。
Okay, my boy.
我喜欢这个。
I like it.
卡弗现在看起来有点担心,他给了爸爸一个很无力的击掌。
Carver is starting to look a little bit concerned right now, and he gives his dad, like, a really weak high five.
不不。
Uh-uh.
黑人布伦达。
Black Brenda.
是的。
Yeah.
就这样。
There we go.
我喜欢这个。
I like it.
好了。
Alright.
我们开始吧。
Let's do it.
我们要为我儿子选哪个幸运的女孩呢?
Which lucky girl are we gonna choose for my son?
天哪。
Oh my god.
所以卡弗正在摸他即将被蜇到的手臂部位。
So Carver's kind of, like, touching his arm where he's about to get stung.
他爸爸去抓蜜蜂了。
His dad goes off to get a bee.
你准备好了吗?
You ready?
告诉我你什么时候准备好了。
Tell me when you're ready.
当你抬起手臂时,你就准备好了。
When you lift your arm up, then you'll be ready.
所以内玛雅正捏着蜜蜂的翅膀,蜂刺朝外。
So Nehemiah is holding a bee by its wings with the stinger pointed out.
然后卡弗的手臂微微下垂,另一只手则挡在父亲和蜜蜂之间。
And then Carver has his arm kinda down, and his other hand is kind of like shielding it from his dad and the bee.
他不断皱眉,提前缩回手臂,躲避预期的叮咬。
And he keeps kind of wincing and jerking his arm away in anticipation.
你准备好了吗?
You ready?
干得好。
Good job.
好了。
Alright.
没事的。
It's alright.
三。
Three.
别跳。
Don't jump.
别跳。
Don't jump.
别跳。
Don't jump.
我要把它弄出来。
And I'm a get it out.
明白吗?
Okay?
我要把它弄出来。
I'm a get it out.
你确定你要这么做吗,孩子?
You sure you want to, son?
你现在看起来好像不想要了。
You acting like you don't want to now.
我知道你很紧张。
I know you're nervous.
就是特别紧张。
Just really nervous.
好吧。
Alright.
三。
Three.
放松。
Relax.
放松。
Relax.
听好了。
Listen.
你不能那样做。
You can't do that.
你只需要顺其自然。
You just have to let it happen.
明白吗?
Okay?
某件事。
Something.
他把蜜蜂放在自己身上,结果蜜蜂就是不蜇人,这太搞笑了。
That's so funny he puts the bee on him, and the bee just won't do it.
嗯,她不想蜇人。
Well, she doesn't wanna sting.
是吗?
Yeah?
嗯,她也不想好起来。
Well, she didn't wanna get alright.
让我再拿一个。
Let me get another one.
该死。
Dang.
你根本不是一只坏蜜蜂。
You're just not a mean bee.
你只是一只善良的蜜蜂。
You're just a nice kind bee.
你不想让任何人感到不舒服。
You don't want anybody to get snug.
又是那个小弟弟在跟蜜蜂说话。
That's the younger brother again talking to the bee.
好吧。
Alright.
我们开始吧。
Here we go.
你为什么在玩我儿子?
Why are playing with my son?
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
让我看看。
Let me see.
好的。
Okay.
哦,看到了吗?
Oh, see?
现在我们把它拿出来。
Now let's get it out.
我们把它拿出来。
Let's get it out.
我们看看。
Let's see.
所以你现在让我感觉很糟糕。
So now you're making me feel bad.
就在那一刻,尼希米看着我,我能从他眼中看出一丝疑虑。
So Nehemiah kinda looks at me in this moment, and I can see that there's a little bit of doubt in his eyes.
他看着我,一副‘天哪’的样子。
He's kinda looking at me like, oh, man.
我不确定我是不是做对了。
I don't know if I did the right thing here.
但接着你可以看到,他瞬间又回到了父亲的角色。
But then you can kind of see the moment he also snaps back into dad mode.
过来。
Come here.
让我看看。
Let me see.
好吧。
Alright.
现在把眼泪擦掉。
Now wipe your tears off.
擦干你的眼泪。
Wipe your tears.
让我看看。
Let me see it.
让我看看。
Let me see it.
让我
Let me
看看。
see it.
在哪
Where
呢?
is it at?
哪里、哪里、哪里
Where did where where
它在哪儿?
was it?
好的。
Okay.
我把它拿出来了。
I got it out.
好的。
Okay.
很好。
Good.
很好。
Good.
很好。
Good.
很好。
Good.
尼希米跪在卡弗面前,正在仔细检查蜂蜇处,并擦去他的眼泪。
Nehemiah is kneeling in front of Carver and he's kind of examining the bee sting and wiping his tears away.
养蜂人会饿。
Beekeepers get hungry.
你抓到第一个了,孩子。
You got your first one, my boy.
击个掌。
High five.
现在让我看看它在哪。
Now let me see where it is.
现在让我看看。
Now let me see.
我把它取出来了。
I got it out.
我保证。
I promise.
你想确认一下吗?
You wanna make sure?
是的。
Yeah.
我把它取出来了。
I got it out.
现在,是的。
Now Yeah.
这很疼。
That hurts.
你后悔这么做吗?
Do you wish you didn't do it?
我感到自豪。
I feel proud
为自己感到骄傲。
of myself.
我听不见你说话。
I can't hear you.
你说什么?
You said what?
我仍然为自己感到一点骄傲。
I still feel a little proud of myself.
你为自己感到骄傲?
You feel proud of yourself?
天啊,我为你感到骄傲。
Boy, I'm proud of you.
我能说,卡弗在做完之后,其实并不完全确定自己是否高兴这么做吗?
Can I say I just really love how Carver, after he gets done, is just not totally sure that he's glad he did it?
然后他就像坐在那里,让这件事在他脑子里反复琢磨几秒钟,接着他决定:我要宣布胜利。
And then he kind of, like, sits there and it stews in his brain for, like, a couple seconds, and then he decides, I'm gonna declare victory.
你为此应该感到自豪。
You should feel proud of yourself for that.
我从未见过任何孩子。
I've never met any kid.
我从未见过任何被打过的孩子的。
I've never met any kid that's hit.
我全家都被蜇过,但我没有。
My whole family been stung, and I haven't.
我想抓到它们。
I wanna get them.
看看我的。
Look at mine.
你看到爸爸就在那儿吗?
You see daddy's right there?
所以当晚剩下的时间,你知道,他们继续去吃晚饭。
So the rest of the evening, you know, they they go on to have dinner.
卡弗不时低头看着他的蜂蜇伤。
Carver is keeps glancing down at his bee stings.
有时他会轻轻抚摸一下,现在伤口已经开始有点肿了。
Sometimes he gives it a little stroke, and it's kind of starting to swell up a bit at this point.
但他却一脸自豪地看着它。
But he's kind of beaming at it.
他现在真是个养蜂人了。
He's a real beekeeper now.
就像他爸爸说的,养蜂人总会被蜇。
And like his dad said, beekeepers get stung.
当你决定去做别人不做的事时,你会觉得自己很了不起。
When you decide to do something that other people do not do, it makes you feel big.
在我们今天的节目中,有些人选择去做那些我们大多数人不仅不会做、而且会像躲蜂蜇一样极力避免的事情。
Today in our program, we have people choosing to do things that most of us, not only will we not do these things, most of us actively avoid these things, the way that we avoid bee stings.
今天我们听到了关于牡蛎、关于爱的故事。
We have stories today of oysters, of love.
我们有一个法庭剧。
We have a courtroom drama.
来自WBEZ芝加哥的《美国生活》。
From WBEZ Chicago, This American Life.
我是伊拉·格拉斯。
I'm Ira Glass.
请继续关注。
Stay with us.
《美国生活》由Wise提供支持,这是一款专为全球使用资金的国际人士设计的应用程序。
Support for This American Life comes from Wise, the app for international people using money around the globe.
您只需轻点几下,即可发送、消费和接收多达40种货币。
You can send, spend, and receive in up to 40 currencies with only a few simple taps.
聪明一点。
Be smart.
变得明智。
Get wise.
立即下载Wise应用或访问wise.com。
Download the Wise app today or visit wise.com.
条款和条件适用。
Ts and cs apply.
This American Life。
Tis American Life.
Ekwan,自私的教训。
Ekwan, lessons in selfishness.
所以约翰·塔托一直在思考那些做出与大多数人不同个人选择的人。
So John Tatto has been thinking a lot about people who make personal life choices that are different from most.
他做过一整期节目,灵感来自这样一个人,节目中他讲述了这个人的故事,也分享了自己的个人经历。
He did a whole show inspired by a man like that, show where he talks about that man and tells a personal story also.
塔托是一名喜剧演员。
Tatil's a comedian.
他是英国喜剧演员。
He's a British comedian.
在他开始之前,我要提一下,他在这个故事中提到的两件事,在美国这里并不是每个人都了解的。
Quick note before he starts, he refers to two things in this story that not everybody knows about here in The States.
他提到了爱丁堡边缘艺术节。
He mentions the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
这是一个在欧洲举办的为期三周的大型表演节,他正是在那里表演了这个节目。
That's this big three week long performance festival in Europe where he happened to do this show.
他还提到了Rustler's Burgers,英国人似乎都知道这个东西。
And he refers to Rustler's Burgers, which Brits, I guess, know about.
它们是微波即可食用的、价格低廉的即食冷冻汉堡包。
They are microwavable, budget priced, ready made frozen burgers on buns.
下面是约翰·塔科。
Here's John Taco.
你好。
Hello.
大家最近怎么样?
How are you all doing?
你还好吗?
You alright?
是的。
Yeah.
能来到这里真是太好了。
It's so good to be here.
当然,我们得聊聊爱德华·达多,对吧?
And, course, we've got to talk about Edward Dando, haven't we?
我们了解
Do we know
爱德华·达多吗?
about Edward Dando?
爱德华·达多?
Edward Dando?
那位著名的十九世纪生蚝大胃王?
The celebrated nineteenth century oyster glutton?
爱德华·丹多?
Edward Dando?
我该怎么跟你讲爱德华·丹多呢?
How do I tell you about Edward Dando?
好吧。
Okay.
明白了。
Right.
你知道吗,维基百科上查东西的时候,维基百科总得装出一副客观的样子,甚至到了过分的地步,对吧?
You know how on Wikipedia if you look something up on Wikipedia, Wikipedia has to purport to be objective but like to a fault, you know?
维基百科会说,哦,阿道夫·希特勒是一位出生在奥地利的德国政客。
Wikipedia will be like, oh, Adolf Hitler was an Austrian born German politician.
你心里想,是的,赶紧说重点吧。
You think, yeah, get on with it.
拜托了。
Come on.
你明白我的意思吗?
Do know what I mean?
但如果你在维基百科上搜索爱德华·丹多,维基百科会说:爱德华·丹多是一名英国小偷。
But if you look up Edward Dando on Wikipedia, Wikipedia says, Edward Dando was a British thief.
这就像是:好吧,我下午的约会都取消吧。
And it's like, okay, cancel my appointments for the afternoon.
爱德华·丹多是十九世纪左右的一位小名人。
Edward Dando was a kind of minor celebrity in about the eighteen hundreds.
现在完全被遗忘了。
Completely forgotten about now.
但他当年因常去牡蛎餐厅而闻名。
But he was famous in his day for frequenting oyster restaurants.
那时正值维多利亚时代伦敦对牡蛎的狂热追捧。
This was like at the height of Victorian London's obsession with oysters.
牡蛎直接从泰晤士河打捞上来。
Oysters just came of the Thames.
伦敦人对牡蛎怎么吃都吃不够。
Londoners couldn't get enough oysters.
爱德华·丹多会去这些牡蛎餐厅,一次点上几十个牡蛎。
Edward Dander would go to these oyster restaurants and he would order dozens of oysters at a time.
我的意思是,一次点两三百个牡蛎。
I mean like 200, 300 oysters at a time.
然后他会引来一群人,当众表演吃掉所有牡蛎,外加整条面包和几桶啤酒。
And then he would draw a crowd and he would performatively eat all of them along with loaves of bread and kegs of ale.
账单到来时,爱德华·丹多发誓说他以为这是免费的。
And then when the bill arrived, Edward Dando would swear to God he thought it was free.
他在法庭上声称自己根本不懂餐厅是怎么运作的。
He claimed in court not to know how restaurants worked.
在这些治安法院里,他总是坚持亲自为自己辩护。
And in these magistrates' courts he would always insist on representing himself.
在作证时,他总会先说:‘尊敬的法官大人?’
And in his testimonies, he would always begin by saying, your worship?
我饿了,我不愿在物产丰盈的土地上挨饿。
I was peckish and I refused to go hungry in a land of plenty.
当然,在十九世纪严酷的司法体系下,他经常被关进监狱,一关就是好几个月。
Of course, harsh nineteenth century justice, he'd be thrown into jail often for like months on end.
他在狱中被单独监禁,因为他总是吃其他囚犯的口粮。
When he was in jail, he was thrown into solitary confinement because he kept eating the rations of the other prisoners.
然后,最关键的是,爱德华·丹多每次在获释当天。
And then, and this is the clincher, Edward Dando every single time on the day of his release.
不是获释的第二天。
Not the day after his release.
在获释当天,爱德华·丹多会从监狱大门走到最近的牡蛎餐厅,然后故技重施。
On the day of his release, Edward Dando would walk from the prison gates to the nearest oyster restaurant and he would do it again.
这才是真正自由的人。
That is a man who is free.
这才是真正了解自己的人。
That is a man who knows himself.
我非常喜欢爱德华·丹多的故事,因为这个故事让我意识到,世界上值得放纵享受的东西实在太多了。
And I love the story of Edward Dando because for me the story of Edward Dando reminds us of how much there is to be gluttonous for in the world.
生活在现代世界中。
Living in the modern world.
我太喜欢了。
I adore it.
我喜欢那些别人假装讨厌的现代食物。
I like the kind of modern food that other people pretend to hate.
我会吃像Rustlers汉堡这样的东西。
I eat things like rustlers burgers.
你知道为什么吗?
Do you know why?
因为我真的很喜欢。
Because I love it.
我真的非常喜欢。
Like I really love it.
人们会问,你在说什么?
People go, what are you talking about?
你爱什么?
What do you love?
全部都喜欢。
All of it.
但你明白我的意思吗?
But do you know what I mean?
比如喝酒,我超爱。
Like drinking, I love it.
甚至只是坐着。
But even like sitting.
哦,我超爱。
Oh, I love it.
我真的超爱。
I really love it.
你知道吗,作为单口喜剧演员的讽刺之处在于,一天之中只有一个小时我不是瘫在屁股上。
You know, the irony that I am a stand up comedian is the one hour of the day I'm not sat on my ass.
我超爱这个。
I love it.
我真的、真的超爱这个。
I really, really love it.
我对此有非常强烈的感受。
I feel that very strongly.
让我觉得有趣的是,在宗教教义中,贪婪和暴食被分开了。
It's interesting to me that greed and gluttony are separated in religious teaching.
我不觉得暴食应该被列入七宗罪。
I don't think that gluttony belongs on that list of seven deadly sins.
我不这么认为。
I don't think so.
我觉得贪婪算,但我觉得暴食是不一样的。
I think greed does, but I think gluttony's different.
我认为暴食是一种美德,应该被庆祝。
I think that gluttony is something of a virtue and I think it should be celebrated.
但它们是不同的,对吧?
But they are different aren't they?
我们生活在一个并不暴食的时代。
Like we don't live in an age of gluttony.
确实不是。
Not really.
爱德华·丹多的时代已经一去不复返了。
Gone are the days of Edward Dando.
中世纪封建领主大摆盛宴的时代也已远去,
Gone are the days of the medieval feudal lord who
有点儿
kind of
他们会举办盛宴,烤制那种鸟里套鸟、层层嵌套的派,诸如此类的东西。
throws feasts and you know bakes pies that are birds within birds within birds and that kind of thing.
结束了。
It's over.
如今,现代版的封建领主就是朋友圈里那个拥有打印机的人。
Nowadays the modern day equivalent of a feudal lord is just anyone in a friendship group who owns a printer.
懂吗?
Know?
太可悲了。
Tragic.
他们对我们其他人有着牢牢的控制。
They're in the stranglehold they have over the rest of us.
难以置信。
It's unbelievable.
但我们生活在一个并非贪食的时代。
But we don't live in an age of of gluttony.
我们生活在一个令人震惊的贪婪时代。
We live in an age of appalling greed.
我们生活在一个充满残酷、狡诈、邪恶贪婪的时代。
We live in an age of of the kind of cruel, scheming, evil greed.
但这种贪婪近距离看却显得非常温和。
But it's the kind of greed which up close looks very moderate.
难怪我们现代的硅谷统治者们,根本不是那种腐败的亨利八世式人物。
Like it's no surprise to me our modern day Silicon Valley overlords, they're not gangrenous Henry the Eights are they at all?
他们只是吉姆兄弟。
But they're Jim Bros.
扎克伯格就是一个吉姆兄弟。
Zuckerberg is a Jim Bro.
那个叫布莱恩·约翰逊之类的家伙,也是个吉姆兄弟。
That guy Brian Johnson or whatever, he's a Jim Bro.
杰夫·贝佐斯也有点像吉姆兄弟。
Jeff Bezos is a bit of a Jim Bro.
他们吃维生素,吃各种补品,优化每天的日程,去健身房,避免闲聊。
They take their vitamins, they take their supplements, they optimize their daily routine, they go to the gym, they cut the small talk.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
他们想要扩张自己的领地,渴望永生。
They to expand their territories, they want to live forever.
这是一种极其自私、贪婪的行为。
It's terribly egotistical, greedy behavior.
而至少暴食,虽然也不是无私的,但至少是谦逊的,不是吗?
Whereas whereas at least gluttony in its kind of it's not selfless but it's humble isn't it?
懂吗?
Know?
你觉得爱德华·丹多喜欢进监狱吗?
Like do think Edward Dando liked going to prison?
当然不喜欢。
Of course not.
但爱德华·丹多拥有
But Edward Dando had
那种谦逊,愿意说:我不重要。
the humility to say, I don't matter.
我的生命不如这些牡蛎的庆祝重要。
My life doesn't matter as much as the celebration of these oysters.
你知道吗?
You know?
对生命的庆祝。
The celebration of life.
同样地,我向你保证,我的银行余额不如一份多米诺披萨的庆祝重要。
In a similar way, I promise you, my bank balance does not matter as much as the celebration of a Domino's pizza.
不过,你明白我的意思吗?
Do you know what I mean though?
我试图说明,暴食时代已经结束了。
I'm trying to make the point that it's just Gluttony is is over.
懂吗?
Know?
贪婪的人赢了。
The greedy men have won.
这让我疯了,因为我也在这里高举着暴食的旗帜。
Drives me mad for because also because I'm flying the gluttony flag out here.
你知道吗,我信奉暴食,而且我把暴食推向了一个全新的境界。
You know I believe in gluttony and I took gluttony to a whole new level.
去年,太惊人了。
Last year, shocking.
所以,去年为了资助我在爱丁堡边缘艺术节的演出,我参加了一项临床试验。
So okay last year to fund my Edinburgh Fringe run I went on a clinical trial.
对吧?
Right?
于是我参加了一个试验,他们给我感染了疟疾。
So I went on this trial where they gave me malaria.
这是真的。
This is true.
我以前就笑过。
And I've got a laugh before.
不过,这个节目适合每个人。
No but there's something for everyone on this show.
认真的,我向你保证。
No seriously I promise you.
我参加了这个临床试验。
I went on this clinical trial.
他们给我感染了疟疾,结果事情有点失控了。
They gave me malaria and actually it got a bit out of hand.
这导致了一次令人动容的经历,几乎是一次濒死体验。
It resulted in a sort of touching it was a near death experience.
我提起这件事,是因为去年经历了这一切之后,我觉得自己真的配得上在爱丁堡边缘艺术节的时光。
I bring this up because I really felt like last year after everything that happened, I felt like I really earned my time at the Edinburgh Fringe.
懂吗?
Know?
我渴望生活。
I was hungry for life.
我想表演我的节目。
I wanted to do my show.
我想去看别人的节目。
I wanted to watch other people's shows.
我想出去逛逛。
I wanted to hang out.
你知道吗?
You know?
我玩得特别开心。
I I was having a great time.
在爱丁堡边缘艺术节的第五天左右,我怀着胜利的精神,心里想,
And and I in the in the spirit of triumph, on about day five of the Edinburgh Fringe, I thought to myself,
爱德华·丹多会怎么做?
what would Edward Dando do?
于是我
And I
我给自己弄了现代版的牡蛎。
got myself the modern day equivalent of oysters.
我给自己买了奶酪薯条。
I got myself some cheesy chips.
我超爱奶酪薯条。
I love cheesy chips.
我吃这些奶酪薯条时离睡觉时间太近了。
And I ate these cheesy chips slightly too close to going to bed.
我醒了过来,不出所料,我感到前所未有的疼痛。
And I woke up, unsurprisingly, I woke up in the most extraordinary pain.
那是种可怕的、糟糕的胃痛。
It was this horrible, dreadful stomachache.
就像有个人压在我身上,你知道的,事实确实如此。
It was like someone was lying on top of me, you know, which they were.
我把他们弄开了。
Got them off.
但那真是太糟糕了。
And then But it was awful.
胃痛,有点像恶心的头痛,还发烧了。
Stomachache, kind of nasty like headache, a fever it was.
那简直太难受了。
It was dreadful.
我只记得躺在床上想,好吧,我得去趟洗手间,然后这些奶酪薯片就会排出去了。
I just remember I remember lying there in bed and thinking, okay, I just need to get myself to the bathroom and I will eventually pass these cheesy chips.
我疼得厉害。
And I'm in a lot of pain.
实际上我打了111。
And actually I phoned 111, right?
他们问:疼痛有多严重?
And they How bad is the pain?
我说:挺严重的。
And I said, It's pretty bad.
这还没疟疾严重。
It's not as bad as malaria.
他们说:‘你这话真够奇怪的。奇怪的。’
And they said, What an incredibly strange thing to say.
他们说:‘听着,如果还能忍受,那很可能只是食物中毒。’
And they said, look, if it's manageable the chances are you've probably got food poisoning.
我想:好吧,食物中毒?
I thought, fine, food poisoning?
我可不能因为食物中毒就取消任何演出。
I don't need to cancel any shows because of food poisoning.
我得过疟疾。
I've had malaria.
我得过真正的病。
I've had a proper disease.
我盼了整整几个月、几个月、几个月的爱丁堡边缘艺术节。
I've been looking forward to the Edinburgh Fringe for months and months and months.
我真的很想演出。
I really want to do my show.
我绝不会因为食物中毒就取消演出,天哪。
I'm not gonna cancel the show because of food poisoning for God's sake.
于是我上了舞台。
So I went on stage.
但在接下来的几天里,当我继续演出时,我的身体基本上开始崩溃了。
But over the next few days as I was doing these performances basically my body started to shut down basically.
所以我一睡就是好几个小时。
So I would sleep for hours.
我会睡上十八个小时左右,或者类似的时间。
I'd sleep for sort of eighteen hours or whatever.
醒来后,我会服用所有能弄到的止痛药。
And I'd wake up, I'd take all available pain relief.
然后我去演出。
I'd go and do the show.
表演结束后我立刻倒下,又睡了十八、十九甚至二十个小时。
Straight afterwards I'd collapse and I'd sleep for another eighteen, nineteen, twenty hours.
生病第五天,我记得给妈妈打电话说,这次真的严重了。
Five days into the illness, I remember phoning up my mom and saying, this is really bad now.
这是我经历过的最痛苦的疼痛。
This is the worst pain I've ever been in.
她问:到底有多严重?
She said, how bad is it actually?
我记得对妈妈说,我觉得我想死。
And I remember saying to my mom, I I feel like I want to die.
我觉得我宁愿死去。
Like I feel like I want to be dead.
她说:你两周前丢手机的时候也这么说。
And she said, you said that two weeks ago when you lost your phone.
我当时确实这么说的。
And I did.
所以接下来这一周,我提供的任何叙述都不太可靠。
So I'm not a reliable narrator of any of this next week.
明白吗?
Okay?
别太当真。
Take this with a pinch of salt.
后来我去了一家药店买更多泻药,那里步行只需五分钟,但我却走了四十五分钟。
Now, I went to this pharmacy to get more laxatives which is a five minute walk away and I did that walk in forty five minutes.
于是我心想,好吧,我得去医院了。
So I thought okay right I'm gonna have to go to the hospital.
医院的环境是不是挺难搞的?
And hospitals are difficult environments aren't they?
你知道吗,因为作为成年人,医院是一个你需要为自己争取权益的地方。
Know, because also a hospital as an adult is a place where you have to kind of advocate for yourself.
对吧?
Right?
这基本上就是在模仿你自己的妈妈。
Which basically means doing an impression of your own mom.
懂吗?
Know?
而这就是成年生活,虽然很悲哀,对吧?
And that's that's adulthood isn't it sadly?
你知道吗,作为成年人,你总是不停地模仿自己的父母,直到最后你真的变成了他们。
You know you just you go around as an adult doing sort of impressions of your own parents until eventually it sticks.
然后前几天,我烤了一只鸡。
And then you kind of the other day I roasted a chicken.
你知道的?
You know?
那感觉就像一场变装表演似的。
It was like a drag act or something.
这到底发生什么事了?
What the fuck's going on here?
我是不是
Am I
一场音乐剧的开场曲什么的?
the opening number of a musical or something?
真奇怪。
Bizarre.
于是我进了这家A&E的候诊室,最后说:好吧,医生现在可以见你了。
So I went into this A and E waiting room and eventually said, right, the doctor will see you now.
这位医生带我进了个有帘子隔开的区域。
And this doctor, she took me into a curtained off area.
她说:听着,我不知道你哪里不舒服,但她说,对于腹痛这类问题,你其实拖了太久才来。
And she said, look, I don't know what's wrong with you, but she said, the good news is with things like abdominal pain, she said, you've actually, you've left it a very long time to come in.
我拖了七八天,差不多吧。
I've left it seven or eight days, something like that.
所以她说,因为你拖了这么久,不太可能是严重的问题。
So she said, because you've left it so long, it's unlikely to be anything that serious.
对于这些腹部问题,如果是阑尾炎、肠穿孔之类的情况。
With these abdominal things, if it's something like a, if it's appendicitis or if it's a perforated bowel or something like that.
但你早就该死了,对吧?
But you'd have been dead by now, right?
所以她说,你还能好好在这儿,说明情况 probably 很轻微。
So she said, actually the fact that you're still here means it's probably quite mild.
这应该是个感染。
It'll be an infection.
我们会弄清楚具体是什么原因。
We'll figure out what it is.
我们会给你开些药,你就可以回家了。
We'll give you some tablets and you can go home.
你今晚大概就能演出,不行的话明天也行。
You can probably do your show tonight, if not tomorrow.
太好了,没问题。
Great, fine.
带我去做了很多检查,弄清楚到底发生了什么。
Took me for a load of scans, figure out what was going on.
她回来时脸上带着一种困惑而严肃的表情。
And she came back with quite a confused, quite grave look on her face.
她说:好吧,你可能不会相信,但你确实是阑尾炎。
And she said, Okay, you're not gonna believe this but it is appendicitis.
我说:哦,这不是很巧吗?
And I said, oh, isn't that funny?
她说:不是。
And she said, no.
她用原话说道:你的阑尾不只是感染了。
She said this in her words, said, your appendix has not just become infected.
她说的不只是破裂了——而阑尾炎最糟糕的情况通常就是破裂。
She said it hasn't even just ruptured, which is the usual sort of worst case scenario for appendicitis.
她说你的阑尾几天前就破裂了,现在,在她的话里,已经完全毁掉了。
She said your appendix ruptured days ago And your appendix has now, in her words, obliterated.
她说,你的阑尾已经完全碎裂,现在正在你体内四处漂浮。
She said, Your appendix has completely fallen apart and it is now floating around your body.
她说,你处于一种叫做腹腔内脓毒症的状态。
She said, You are in a state called intra abdominal sepsis.
她说,我们必须在接下来的几个小时内为你做手术,否则你会死。
And she said, We need to operate on you in the next few hours or you're going to die.
她说,所以我们现在必须马上把你送到手术室。
And she said, So we need to get you to the theater right now.
我说,这正是我一直想告诉你的。
I said, That's what I've been trying to tell you.
快送我去手术室。
Get me to the theater.
但说实话,我不会假装这不可怕,因为显然它真的很可怕。
And but look, I'm not gonna pretend it wasn't scary because obviously it was scary.
因为突然间,这变成了一场真实的生死危机。
And because suddenly it was a real life emergency.
他们把我安排进医院病床,并把我排进了紧急手术的优先名单。
They put me in this hospital bed and they bumped me up the kind of urgent surgery list and stuff.
我从手术中醒来后,外科医生说,这是一句原话,他说:是的,当我们打开你身体时,我们都吓了一跳。
And I woke up from the surgery and the surgeon said, and this is an exact quote, he said, Yeah, when we opened you up, we were all a bit like yikes.
现在他们还不知道阑尾炎的病因是什么。
Now they don't know what causes appendicitis.
有人提出,过于高脂肪的饮食可能会导致阑尾炎。
And it's been suggested that excessively fatty diets might lead to appendicitis.
我几乎因为自己的贪吃而丧命。
I was essentially almost killed by my own gluttony.
然后他基本上是责备了我。
And then he told me off basically.
他对我发火了。
He got cross with me.
他说:在我二十五年的普通外科医生生涯中,我从未见过有人因为这种固执的态度——每天坚持做节目,不愿取消——而拖到这么晚才来治疗阑尾炎。
And he said, in my twenty five year career as a general surgeon, he said, I've never seen someone come in that late with appendicitis because of this kind of dogged attitude I had to doing the show every day and I didn't want to cancel it.
他说这很危险,很愚蠢,很鲁莽,也很不成熟。
And he said that was dangerous and it was stupid and it was reckless and it was immature.
他说如果你再拖一天,你就没命了。
And he said if you'd have left it one day more, you'd be dead.
你就不会在这里了,一切就结束了。
You wouldn't be here and that'd be it.
听到这些话真的很难不觉得他是在暗示我恰好赶在了最恰当的时刻来就诊。
And it's really, really hard to hear that and not think he's saying that I came in at exactly the right time.
他们是在说:是的,所以我没让你取消演出是正确的,谢谢你。
They're saying, yeah, so I was right not to cancel your stay show, thank you.
我的时机把握得完美无缺。
My timing's immaculate.
我能活下来真是非常幸运。
I was incredibly lucky to survive.
我感觉非常,我感到极其幸运能活下来。
I feel very, I feel incredibly lucky to survive.
对。
Right.
爱德华·丹多。
Edward Dando.
所以爱德华·丹多在我这个年纪时去世了。
So Edward Dando died when he was my age.
爱德华·丹多在29岁时去世了。
Edward Dando died when he was 29 years old.
他其实也是一个懂时机的人,因为他去世时,牡蛎刚刚开始被过度养殖,在伦敦逐渐失去流行,牡蛎餐厅也开始关门倒闭。
He was also a man of timing actually because he died just as oysters were starting to become over farmed and they were falling out of fashion in London and oyster restaurants were starting to close and go out of business.
人们很容易把爱德华·丹多的故事看作是一个从不吸取教训的人的故事。
And it'd be really easy to think of the story of Edward Dando as the story of a man who never learned his lesson.
但我不这么认为。
But I don't think that's true.
我认为爱德华·丹多确实吸取了教训。
I think Edward Dando did learn his lesson.
我认为爱德华·丹多每次都被决心驱使,继续做他最爱的事情。
I think Edward Dando resolved every single time to continue doing the thing that he absolutely loved more than anything else.
当我躺在医院病床上,急切地想回到爱丁堡边缘艺术节时,我想到了被单独监禁的爱德华·丹多,我希望他每次在心里对自己说:‘只要我出去了,’
And as I lay there in that hospital bed anxious to come back to the Edinburgh Fringe, I thought of Edward Dando in solitary confinement and I hope that every single time he thought to himself, when I get out of here,
你知不知道我特别想吃啥?
do you know what I really fancy?
我希望对他而言,每一次等待都值得。
And I hope that for him, every time it was worth the wait.
因为我可以发自内心地向你保证,这对我而言确实如此。
Because I can promise you from the bottom of my heart this certainly has been.
我恳求你,请做一个爱德华·丹多。
I beg you please be an Edward Dando.
吃下奶酪薯条,喝起香槟,即使面临败血症或监禁的阻碍,也绝不让自己在富足之地挨饿。
Eat the cheesy chips, drink the champagne, refuse to go hungry in a land of plenty even if a thing like sepsis or prison gets in your way.
看在上帝的份上,咱们去吃些牡蛎吧。
And for God's sake, let's go and get some oysters.
非常感谢。
Thank you very much.
约翰·塔蒂尔。
John Tatil.
我应该说,关于爱德华·丹多的历史记录相当稀少。
I should say the historical record is kind sparse on Edward Dando.
所以约翰为了填补空白,做了一些艺术加工。
So John took a few liberties to fill in the gaps.
但他抓住了核心精神。
He got the gist right.
至于高脂肪饮食是否会导致阑尾炎,正如人们所说,还需要更多研究。
As to whether a fatty diet can cause appendicitis, like they say, more research is needed.
约翰的演出由亚历克斯·卡特里奇和凯瑟琳·克雷格米尔执导。
John's show is directed by Alex Cartlidge and Catherine Craigmeil.
他目前正在美国各地巡演。
He's on tour right now across The U.
好。
K.
你可以在他的Instagram上找到详细信息,账号是JohnTuthill。
You can find details on his Instagram, JohnTuthill.
我们节目的制片人Eva de Kunfeld帮助他将这个故事改编成我们的节目内容。
Producer of Eva de Kunfeld from our show helped him adapt this story for our program.
第二幕:前伴侣的喜悦。
Act two, the joy of ex.
好的。
Okay.
有时候你和某人分手了,但你们仍然保持联系。
So sometimes you break up with somebody, and you still talk.
你们相处得很友好。
You're friendly.
有些前伴侣,你们再也不会说一句话了。
Some exes, you never speak with again.
这很残酷,但当一个人的感情被伤害时,大家都能够理解。
It's harsh, but everybody understands it when somebody's feelings are crushed.
这并不罕见。
It's not unusual.
罕见的是,有人想和所有前任保持联系,我的意思是,所有的前任,包括那些再也不想见到他面的人,那些感到深受伤害和失望的人。
What is unusual is somebody who wants to be in touch with all their exes I mean, all of them, even the ones who never wanna see his face again, the ones who feel really hurt and disappointed.
埃文·罗伯茨就是这样一个人,他希望主动联系,甚至与最敌对的前任成为朋友。
Evan Roberts is a person who wants to reach out like that and become friends with the most hostile of his exes.
这是一个奇怪的使命,我们的一位制片人托宾·洛对我们对此感到好奇。
It's a weird mission that one of our producers, Tobin Lowe, was curious about.
埃文列出了17位前任的名单。
Evan made a list of 17 exes.
到他和我见面时,过去几年里他已经和其中16位联系过了。
By the time he and I met, he had talked with 16 of them over the last several years.
能重新联系,听听他们那边的故事,感觉很好。
It was nice to catch up, get their side of the story.
但随着这件事持续下去,他越来越意识到,整个使命其实只是为了第17号对象。
But the more the thing had gone on, the more he realized this whole mission was actually just about X number 17.
他称之为‘大X’的人。
Someone he referred to as the big X.
一个叫基思的人,即使伊万主动联系,也不愿意交谈。
A guy named Keith, who even when Evan reached out, did not wanna talk.
他们是在新年左右分手的。
They'd broken up around New Year's.
那是2010年。
It was 2010.
几周之后,
A couple of weeks after,
我骑着自行车,正穿过公寓楼的小中庭去取邮件。
I was on my bike and I was going through the little atrium of the apartment building and getting the mail.
然后我收到了基思寄来的一张卡片。
And I got this card from Keith.
基思会重新利用卡片和信封,贴上贴纸之类的。
And Keith repurposes cards and envelopes and put stickers on them and stuff.
所以我当时在邮箱旁拆开了它,我肯定是在邮箱那儿打开的,封面上是一幅冬日景象,上面有一些蓝色的点状贴纸。
So I opened it up at the mail, like I'm blocking the door, I'm sure I opened it up at the mailbox and it is on the cover is a winter scene, and there's some blue stickers blue dotted stickers he has on it.
原本应该写祝福语的地方,却只剩下一个被撕掉的洞。
And where the sentiment of the card should have been was just a ripped out hole.
基思把原本该写‘圣诞快乐’或‘节日快乐’的部分撕掉了。
Keith had torn out the part where there should have been Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.
那是个空洞。
It was a void.
我透过那个洞,看到了地上自己的鞋子。
It was like and I saw through the hole onto my onto my shoe on the floor.
在信封的另一面,基思写了一段话,说他认为他和埃文应该彼此远离。
On the opposite flap, Keith wrote a note about how thought he and Evan should stay away from each other.
我认为,大多数人收到一张 heartfelt 祝福被彻底删掉的节日贺卡,都会明白:信息收到了。
I think most people receiving a holiday card with the heartfelt sentiment surgically removed would think, message received.
我也会把你从我的生活中彻底删掉,前男友。
I will also cut you out of my life, ex lover.
无论如何,这都会是我的回应。
That would be my response anyway.
我实话告诉你,第一次听说你采访了所有这些前伴侣时,我简直吓坏了。
I will be honest, the first time I heard about the fact that you had interviewed all of these exes, I was, like, horrified by that.
我这个人从来不和任何前伴侣保持联系,不是因为怀有恶意,只是因为这根本不是
I'm such a like, I don't talk to any of my exes, not out of ill will or anything, but it's just like I it's not a
我做过的事。
thing I've ever done.
你为什么不同他们保持联系呢?
Why don't you keep in touch with them?
是事情就这么结束了吗?
Is it it is it just done?
这就像吐司,你没法把吐司再变回面包。
It's it's like a it's toast and there's you can't make toast bread.
我觉得我们之间的关系只存在于我们在一起的那段时光里。
I feel like the relationship we had exists very much in the time that we were together.
所以重新回顾它,对我来说,就像回到前世一样。
And so to revisit it, to me, feels like going to a past life.
我不太清楚,这种回顾对我个人来说有什么价值。
I don't know, like, the value of that, I guess, for me personally.
我只是想挑战一下你的观点。
I just want I would challenge you, I guess.
还有许多其他可能性。
There are so many other ways that it could be.
而这种死气沉沉的版本,是最无趣的。
And this sort of dead version is like the least interesting.
通过这些访谈,我逐渐意识到,如果曾经有过爱,它对我来说就一直都在。
And what I kind of realized through some of these interviews is if there was love there once, it's kind of always there for me.
只是想说,埃文和他的男朋友已经幸福地在一起十多年了。
Just to say, Evan has been in a happy relationship with his boyfriend for over a decade.
但自从他和基思十六年前分手后,他就一直疑惑,为什么那张卡片?
But ever since he and Keith broke up sixteen years ago, he's wondered why the card?
为什么基思再也不想和他说话?
Why did Keith never want to talk to him again?
为什么不能做朋友?
Why not be friends?
他们分手时,他有没有错过什么?
Had he missed something when they broke up?
有没有在不知情的情况下做了什么坏事?
Done something bad without realizing it?
埃文和基思在三十出头时相遇。
Evan and Keith met in their early 30s.
他们异地恋。
They dated long distance.
埃文住在旧金山,基思住在奥斯汀。
Evan lived in San Francisco, Keith in Austin.
埃文说,和基思在一起时,他感觉自己像是处于更高的音调上。
Evan loved who he was with Keith, said he felt like himself at a higher octave.
基思帮他申请了电影学院,这一直是他梦寐以求的。
Keith helped him apply to film school, which he'd always dreamed about.
基思外向、幽默。
Keith was outgoing, funny.
有一次基思来看埃文,埃文回家时发现他躺在客厅里假装昏倒,地上用火柴摆出了一行字。
One time when Keith was visiting Evan, Evan came home to find him fake passed out in the living room with a message spelled out in matchsticks.
T T O Y M M H。
T T O Y M M H.
想到你,我就热血沸腾。
The thought of you makes me hot.
但异地恋对他们来说很难熬。
But long distance was hard on them.
他们分分合合了好几次。
They broke up a couple of times.
总是会复合。
Would always get back together.
当基思搬去旧金山时,他们正处于一次分手期间。
They were on one of those breaks when Keith moved to San Francisco.
他说:看,我们现在真的可以好好经营这段关系了。
Said, look, we can make a real go of this now.
让我们让这段关系成功吧。
Let's make this work.
埃文感到惊讶,不知所措。
Evan was surprised, taken aback.
他没有立刻全身心投入,而是说:好吧。
And instead of jumping in feet first, he said, okay.
但让我们慢慢来,不要急于求成,这让基思很不高兴。
But let's take our time, not rush things, which Keith did not take well.
他的表情变了。
His face changed.
他的整个人都发生了变化。
Something about his whole body changed.
而且
And
确实感觉像一扇门关上了。
it did feel like a door closing.
这让你感到惊讶吗?
And did that surprise you?
我只是没想到我说的话会产生这么大的影响。
It only because I didn't know that what I said would have that impact.
基思彻底和伊万分手了。
Keith broke up with Evan for good.
之后,伊万感觉自己像在雾中行走。
Afterwards, Evan felt like he was walking around in a fog.
感觉我被困在了错误的时间线上。
It felt like I was stuck on the wrong timeline.
我只是感觉身处一个不属于我的平行宇宙中。
I just felt on a in a different parallel universe that I wasn't supposed to be in.
几乎立刻,基思开始了另一段非常认真的恋情,这让埃文更加困惑。
Almost immediately, Keith got into a different, very serious relationship, which has only further puzzled Evan.
他们都已经放下了。
They'd both moved on.
为什么现在不能成为朋友呢?
Why not become friends now?
但这些年来,埃文曾几次主动联系,基思每次都态度冷淡。
But Evan's reached out a couple times over the years and Keith has always been chilly.
这件事让埃文困扰了这么久,甚至成了他和朋友们之间的笑谈。
It's vexed Evan so long, it's become a joke with his friends.
最近,他们中有一个正好在基思的邻居区域,就发消息告诉了埃文。
One of them was in Keith's neighborhood recently and texted Evan about it.
他的朋友开玩笑说,他应该去基思家门前拍张自拍。
His friend joked that he should go take a selfie in front of Keith's house.
埃文在电脑上查到了基思的地址,复制粘贴后发给了朋友,然后点击了发送。
Evan looked up Keith's address on his computer, copied and pasted into a text to his friend, hit send.
接着他意识到自己不小心把基思的地址发给了基思本人。
Then he realized he had accidentally texted Keith's address to Keith.
埃文告诉我这件事时,我尖叫了出来。
I screamed when Evan told me this.
他认为自己通过迅速把短信编辑成一个句号,假装是误触发送了不当内容,从而挽回了局面。
He thinks he saved it by quickly editing the text to a period, pretending it was an accidental butt text.
你知道iPhone可以编辑短信吗?
Did you know you can edit texts on an iPhone?
我不知道。
I didn't.
最近,他最后一次给基思发消息,问对方是否愿意谈谈。
Recently, he wrote to Keith one last time, asking if you would talk.
我看到了那封邮件。
I see the email.
基思回复了。
Keith responded.
天哪。
Oh my god.
是的。
Yes.
算我一个。
Count me in.
基思同意了。
Keith was game.
什么?
What the fuck?
他们
They
通过Zoom通话。
talk over Zoom.
基思从布鲁克林接入。
Keith calling in from Brooklyn.
我和埃文一起在他位于旧金山的公寓里,坐在他的餐桌旁。
I'm with Evan in his apartment in San Francisco, sitting at his dining room table.
天哪。
Oh my God.
你好。
Hello.
你能听到我吗?
Can you hear me?
我能听到你。
I can hear you.
天啊,你听起来状态很好。
Oh my gosh, you sound good.
你听起来也很好。
You sound good too.
他们需要一点时间才能决定从哪里开始。
It takes a minute for them to figure out where to start.
通常的Zoom通话尴尬感,在一个男人和他的前男友之间会变得更加严重。
The usual awkwardness of a Zoom call is made even worse when it's a man talking to his ex boyfriend.
埃文提起他们上次交谈的内容,想知道基思是否还记得。
Evan brings up the last time they talked to see if Keith remembers.
你还记得上次是什么时候吗?
Do you remember the last time that was?
是在贝尔纳尔山吗?
Was it on, like, Bernal Hill?
不是。
No.
还是不是?
Or no?
不是。
No.
从那以后。
Since then.
你想再猜一次吗?
Do you want to guess again?
不是在贝尔纳尔山和我的狗一起吗?
It wasn't on Bernal Hill with my dog?
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我的意思是,那件事确实发生过。
I mean, that happened.
那件事我记得,但那之后我们还一起吃过饭。
That was I mean, I remember that was but we've had dinner since then.
真的吗?
Oh, really?
嗯。
Mhmm.
这种事情发生过很多次。
This happens a bunch of times.
无论埃文提起什么,基思都只记得一点,或者完全不记得。
Whatever Evan brings up, Keith only kind of remembers or doesn't remember at all.
比如埃文提起基思用火柴棒拼出一句秘密话语的那次,那是他最珍视的共同回忆之一。
Like when Evan brings up the time Keith spelled out a secret message in matchsticks, one of his favorite memories of their time together.
你新说的那句是‘想到你我就热血沸腾’。
It was the thought of you makes me hot was your new one.
真的吗?
Really?
哇。
Wow.
这句不错。
That's a good one.
基思不记得这件事了。
Keith doesn't remember it.
更糟糕的是
What's worse
还有什么比有人对你生气、再也不想见你更糟的吗?
than having someone be angry at you, never want to see you again?
我来告诉你什么更糟——发现他们根本从没想过你。
I'll tell you what's worse, finding out they don't think of you at all.
然后他们转入正题,开始谈论他们分手的那个晚上。
Then they get down to business, start talking about the night of their breakup.
基思解释说,他原本希望,在他们终于同处一城的那晚,能真正地在一起。
And Keith explains he'd hoped that at the end of the night, with them finally in the same city, they could really do the thing, be together.
但伊万毫无兴奋之情。
But Evan showed no excitement.
事实上,伊万对他说:‘哇,慢点,一步一步来。’
In fact, Evan told him, Woah, slow down, one step at a time.
我觉得我的印象是,你希望在一起,但又想保持朋友关系。
I think my impression was that you wanted to be together, but you wanted to be friends.
我的感觉是,你只想要那样。
Like, I felt like that's what you wanted only.
只想要那样。
Only.
那真的很难受。
And that was really hard.
我不想要那样。
Like, I didn't want that.
我希望你对我的感觉,就像我对你的感觉一样。
I wanted you to feel the same way about me that I did about you.
我希望你能冲过来,想要拥抱我。
Like, I wanted you to, like, rush over and want to, like, embrace.
你想要的是浪漫喜剧。
You wanted the rom com.
你希望我们在机场奔向彼此。
You wanted us running to each other in the airport.
是的
Yeah.
完全正确
Totally.
那
That
那天,埃文以为自己只是在答应基思,只是想慢慢来。
night, Evan actually thought he was saying yes to Keith, but just asking to ease into things.
基思却认为自己被归为朋友了。
Keith had taken it as being friend zoned.
他们都承认,自己没有好好直接表达出来。
They both admit that they didn't do a good job of just saying that to each other.
太典型了。
Classic.
但尽管基思对那个时刻记忆犹新,他承认自己根本不记得那晚之后发生了什么。
But as much as Keith remembers that moment, he admits he doesn't really remember what happened after that night.
我刚刚是不是忽视你了?
Did I just ignore you?
求你了,告诉我我刚刚没忽视你。
Please tell me I didn't just ignore you.
你寄了一张分手卡片,上面还有个洞。
There was a breakup card that you sent in the mail with a hole in it.
天哪。
Oh my god.
天哪。
Oh my god.
天哪。
Oh my god.
哦,我想起来了。
Oh, I remember that.
天哪。
Oh, lord.
这是你的杰作。
It's your masterpiece.
天哪。
Oh my god.
那会出现在我的回顾展里吗?
Will that be in my retrospective?
我的意思是,我不太愿意承认,但我可能真的想伤害你。
I mean, I'm like, I'm not, like, proud to admit this, but I I'm probably wanting to hurt you.
对不起。
I'm sorry.
收到这样的卡片可真不怎么样。
That's not a great card to get.
特别是这个,我在外面贴了贴纸的那个。
This particularly one where I put stickers on the outside.
这看起来简直像个疯子。
Like, that seems like a psychopath.
就像承诺了一件事,结果却成了另一回事,比如‘这会是个有趣的派对’。
Like promising one thing and then being another like, hey, this is gonna be a fun party.
我们之间有点变得奇怪了。
It's getting a little weird between us.
但你猜怎么着?
But guess what?
埃文和基思聊了两个多小时。
Evan and Keith talk for over two hours.
有时,他们的对话显得有点客气,像是两个接受了良好治疗的同性恋男人,在被第三个同样接受了良好治疗的同性恋男人录音时,谈论着各自的创伤。
At times, their conversation feels a little polite, like two well therapy gay men talking about their trauma while being recorded by a third well therapy gay man.
但至少埃文有
But at least Evan has
基思寄卡片的原因,这为埃文铺平了道路,让他能说出自己此行的目的——证明他们本该从一开始就成为朋友。
the answer to why Keith had sent the card, which clears the way for Evan to do the thing he came here to do, make his case that they should have been friends all along.
是的。
Yeah.
我只是觉得,真希望我们能学会如何成为朋友。
I just feel like I wish that we could have figured out how to be friends.
就这么简单。
That's all.
一直以来都是这样。
This whole time.
是的。
Yeah.
你觉得这有可能吗?
Like, do you wish that was possible?
我其实从来没认真想过这个问题。
I just hadn't really thought about it.
作为一个擅长分隔情绪的人,直到你提出这个问题,我才意识到自己从未真正考虑过。
As a compartmentalizer, I, like I think I've until you've posed that question, I don't think I've really considered it.
埃文一直在努力让他明白,他完全想错了。
Evan just keeps trying to convince him that he's got it all wrong.
我不是那个意思,是的。
I don't so my yeah.
我只是不明白,对我来说,当我与某人建立联系,当我经历像与你以及我生命中其他爱人那样的关系时,感觉我根本没在好好经营。
I just I don't understand for for me, when I connect with someone, when I have the kind of experience I had with you and and with other loves of my life, it feels like such a like I'm not doing it.
我投入是有原因的,我希望有个人依然留在我的生命里。
I'm invest I'm investing for a reason, and I want I want someone still in my life.
自从我们分手后,我就一直希望你留在我身边。
I have wanted you in my life since we broke up.
我需要你。
I have needed you.
你还好吗?
You okay?
是的。
Yeah.
基思哼了几声
Keith huffs a couple
几次,最终擦去了几滴眼泪。
of times, eventually wiping away some tears.
他显得不知所措,似乎没料到伊万会流露出如此深刻的情感。
He seems overwhelmed, like he wasn't expecting this depth of feeling from Evan.
我感到难过。
I feel sad.
我为我处理事情的方式、我的沟通方式,以及我对你造成的伤害感到难过。
I feel sad about how I handled it, how I communicated, and that I was, like, hurtful to you.
我也只是为当时的自己感到难过。
And I also just sad for me and who I was then.
所以这让我想起我花300美元租的那个空房间,里面什么家具都没有,却渴望生活变成它本来不是的样子。
So it just, like, is placing me in that small room I paid $300 for or something with no furniture and wanting my life to be something that it wasn't.
而且也让我难过的是,你所说的,像我需要你作为朋友、作为我生命中的人,这让我觉得这一切都是一种浪费。
And also it makes me sad that you like I think what what you said, like I like I have needed you as a friend and a person in my life just makes me feel like like just a what a waste of time.
伊万也在默默承受着这一切。
Evan is also taking it in.
看起来很慌乱。
Seems flustered.
太奇怪了。
It's so weird.
现在就在这里,基思,这真是太奇怪了。
It's so weird to be right here now, Keith.
我从来没想过,是的。
I never thought Yeah.
我从来没想过你会说出这些话。
I never thought I'd ever hear any of these things come out of your mouth.
基思问他们是否可以休息一下。
Keith asks if they can take a break.
当我们重新回到Zoom上时,我提醒埃文我们还有一件事
When we get back on the Zoom, I remind Evan we have one last piece
要处理,就是那条误发的短信。
of business, the accidental text.
好的。
Okay.
所以你可以想象一下
So you can imagine how
埃文告诉他,他的朋友曾给他发过短信。
Evan tells him about how his friend had texted him.
他当时在基思的 neighborhood。
He was in Keith's neighborhood.
他们开玩笑说要在他的房子前拍张自拍。
Their joke about taking a selfie in front of his house.
所以我抄下了地址,发给了他。
So I copied the address, and I texted it to him.
然后我意识到我发错人了,发给了你。
And then I realized that I'd sent it to you.
真的吗?
Really?
天哪。
Oh my god.
你认真的吗?
Are you serious?
是的。
Yes.
基思拿出了他的iPhone。
Keith gets out his iPhone.
天啊。
Oh god.
就在这儿。
There it is.
看到那个句号了吗?
See the period?
现在看到上面写的‘已编辑’了吗?
Now see where it says edited?
是的。
Yeah.
你实际上可以点击那里,看看
You can actually press that and see what
基思点击了屏幕,让他看到了包含他地址的原始未编辑文本。
Keith taps on the screen, which lets him see the original unedited text with his address.
天哪。
Oh my god.
看,这就是跟踪一个不懂自己手机的人的好处。
See, this is the good thing about stalking somebody who doesn't understand their phone.
他们笑的方式,听起来有点像,我敢说,
The way they're laughing, they sound somewhat like, dare I
朋友。
say, friends.
房间里的注意力放松了。
Attention in the room is released.
他们更放松了。
They're more relaxed.
令我惊讶的是,内万承认,也许这一切有点过头了。
And Nevan, to my surprise, admits that maybe this all was a little bit much.
我脑子里还记着很多其他小细节,但我想,这部分原因也可能在于我或许也该放下一些事情。
There's there's all these other little details that I have stuck in my head, but I think part of this also is I might just need to let go of some things too.
我可能真的不需要紧抓着这么多细节不放。
I just might maybe I don't need to hold on to so many details.
是的。
Yeah.
你是个死抓着她不放的人。
You're a holder on her.
我确实是个死抓着她不放的人。
I'm a holder on her for sure.
是的。
Yeah.
关于你生活中的大多数事情,对吧?
About most things in your life, right?
或者像
Or like
就你。
Just you.
开玩笑的。
Just kidding.
开玩笑的。
Just kidding.
这很好。
That's good.
你是个值得尊敬的执着者。
You're a holder honor.
多么深刻的洞察啊。
Such an intimate observation.
也许伊万说的是对的。
Maybe Evan was right.
也许翻出你和前任们的所有旧事,并不只是自我折磨。
Maybe digging up all this old stuff with your exes isn't just a masochistic exercise.
他们说下次基思来城里时会一起吃晚饭。
They say they'll get dinner the next time Keith is in town.
通话结束,留下伊万和我两个人在公寓里。
The call ends, leaving Evan and me in the apartment.
我有点震惊。
I'm kinda shocked.
你吗?
You are?
是的。
Yeah.
我今天来的时候其实挺担心你的,或者不确定会发生什么。
I really came in today kinda worried for you, or like not sure what was gonna happen.
而且我真心觉得这次经历很有意义,这让我自己都感到意外。
And I feel I feel genuinely convinced that this was a worthwhile exercise, which I'm surprised by.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我只是想说一下,而且
I just wanted to say that and
我真的很高兴你有这种感受。
I'm so I'm so glad you feel that way, actually.
我觉得我得到了证实,是我让你信服了。
I feel that I feel vindicated that I that I convinced you.
我最近又和埃文聊过了。
I talked to Evan again recently.
他说基思来镇上了。
He said Keith came through town.
他们没一起去吃晚饭,但他对此并不在意。
They didn't get dinner, but he's okay with it.
他对他不再有任何问题了。
He doesn't have any more questions for him.
多布恩·洛是我们的节目制片人。
Dobyn Lowe is a producer on our program.
接下来,一件衬衫创造了司法历史。
Coming up, a shirt makes judicial history.
它犯了谋杀罪吗?
Did it commit a murder?
它贪污资金了吗?
Did it embezzle funds?
它违反了1970年的《清洁空气法》吗?
Did it violate the Clean Air Act of 1970?
答案马上揭晓,来自芝加哥公共广播电台,敬请继续收听我们的节目。
Answers in a minute from Chicago Public Radio when our program continues.
这里是《美国生活》,蜜拉·格拉斯。
This is American Life, Myra Glass.
今天的节目,我想讲的是人们决定去做那些我们大多数人选择不去做的事。
Today's program, I want what I want, stories of people deciding to do things that most of us choose not to do.
我们已经来到了节目第三幕。
We have arrived at act three of our program.
第三幕:律师、法官和服装。
Act three, the lawyer, the judge, and the wardrobe.
所以,我们今天的节目是关于人们做出不同寻常的选择。
So our show today is about people making unusual choices.
现在我们来看一位法官本周做出的一项决定,凡是听到这个决定的人似乎都一致认为,这是一项非常古怪的决定,不是人们通常会看到的那种。
And we turn now to a judge making a decision this week that everybody who hears about it seems to agree it was a very eccentric decision, not the kind of decision one usually sees.
这件事发生在德克萨斯州的一场重大联邦审判中,堪称‘反法西斯审判世纪案’,实际上也是特朗普政府的一项标志性案件。
This happened at a big federal trial in Texas, the Antifa trial of the century, in fact, a kind of landmark case for the Trump administration.
我们的制作人佐伊·蔡斯周二出席了这场审判的首日庭审。
One of our producers, Zoe Chase, was there for the first day of the trial on Tuesday.
联邦法庭内不允许录音,但佐伊在首日庭审——也就是陪审团遴选阶段(即‘voir dire’环节)——做了详细笔记。
You can't record in this federal courtroom, but Zoe took notes on that first day when they were picking the jury, the part of the process that's called voir dire.
顺便说一下,在德克萨斯州,大家都称它为voir dire,但我们的北方记者佐伊·蔡斯对文化挪用毫无兴趣,坚持使用她原本的说法,voir dire。
In Texas, by the way, everybody calls it voir dire, but our Yankee correspondent Zoe Chase has no interest in cultural appropriation and is going to stick to her native way of saying it, voir dire.
现在她向我们讲述法庭上发生的事情。
And she now tells us what happened in that courtroom.
那天非常精彩。
It was eventful.
所以,皮特曼法官大步走进了法庭。
So judge Mark Pittman kind of sweeps into the room.
全体起立。
All rise.
法官来了。
Here's the judge.
他是特朗普第一任期任命的法官。
He's a Trump appointee from the first Trump administration.
他有点表演天赋,富有魅力,听他讲话令人兴奋。
He's a bit of a showman, charismatic, and kind of exciting to hear from.
他有着浓重的得克萨斯口音。
He has a very strong Texas twang.
他热情地欢迎所有人,并且说,你知道,我最反感的就是那些嘲笑陪审团服务的人。
He welcomes in everybody, and, you know, he's like, you should know I have a pet peeve of people who make fun of jury service.
我喜欢引用弗雷德里克·道格拉斯的话。
I like to quote Frederick Douglass.
他说,我们国家维护自由与正义有三个关键工具:投票箱、弹药箱和陪审团箱。
He says, we have three boxes that preserve liberty and justice in this country, the ballot box, the cartridge box, and the jury box.
他停顿了一下,制造戏剧效果。
Dramatic pause.
当轮到开始询问陪审员时——也就是 voir dire 阶段,他率先发言。
And when they get to the part where you're supposed to start questioning the jurors, the voir dire, he goes first.
他主导了整个过程。
He leads it.
我在旁听室里,看不到陪审团,但大约有75人左右。
And I'm in the overflow room, so I can't see the jury, but there's 75 or so of them.
他们人数很多。
There's a big group of them.
他们会选出12个人,我猜还会选几个备选 jurors。
And they're gonna pick 12 people and, I guess, a couple of alternates.
对吧?
Right?
对。
Right.
12名陪审员,3名备选。
12 jurors, three alternates.
法官开始向陪审员提问,以了解他们是否存在潜在偏见。
And the judge starts asking questions to the jurors to see potential bias in the jurors.
所以他问他们:你对执法部门有什么样的经历?这在这样的审判中并不是什么不寻常的问题。
So he asked them, what kind of experience do you have with law enforcement, which is not an unusual question in a trial like this.
然后他又问:你对移民与海关执法局(ICE)的所作所为有什么强烈看法吗?
And then he goes, do you have strong feelings about what ICE has been doing?
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。