本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
奇迹。
Wonder.
第一章。
Chapter one.
我为什么没去上学。
Why I didn't go to school.
八月。
August.
我知道我不是一个普通的十岁孩子。
I know I'm not an ordinary 10 year old kid.
我会做普通的事情。
I do ordinary things.
我吃冰淇淋。
I eat ice cream.
我骑自行车。
I ride my bike.
我有一台Xbox,内心觉得自己很普通。
I have an Xbox, and I feel ordinary inside.
但普通的孩子在操场上躲着我,普通人在街上或超市里盯着我看。
But ordinary children run away from me in the playground, and ordinary people stare at me in the street or at the supermarket.
我走在街上,人们看着我,然后又移开视线。
I walk down the street and people look at me, and then they look away.
我的姐姐维拉不觉得我普通。
My older sister, Villa, doesn't think I'm ordinary.
如果有人谈论我或盯着我看,她会生气。
She gets angry if people talk about me or if they stare at me.
她会对他们大喊大叫。
She shouts at them.
她爱我,但她不觉得我普通。
She loves me, but she doesn't think I'm ordinary.
爸爸妈妈也不觉得我普通。
Mom and dad don't think I'm ordinary either.
他们认为我很特别。
They think I'm extraordinary.
我觉得我很普通,但没人看得出来。
I think I am ordinary, but nobody sees it.
妈妈很漂亮,维亚也很美,爸爸很英俊。
Mom is beautiful, and so is Via, and dad is handsome.
我叫奥古斯特。
My name is August.
我长什么样?
What do I look like?
我不会告诉你的,但情况比你想象的更糟。
I'm not going to tell you, but it's worse than you think.
这里有一件关于我的不普通的事。
Here's something not ordinary about me.
我从未上过学。
I have never been to school.
人们以为我没上过学是因为我的长相,但其实不是这样。
People think I haven't been to school because of the way I look, but it isn't that.
这是因为我经常住院,十年里住了27次院。
It's because I've been in hospital a lot, 27 times in ten years.
我做过很多次整形手术和其他治疗。
I've had a lot of plastic surgery and other things.
所以我的父母没有送我去学校。
So my parents didn't send me to school.
妈妈在家教我。
Mom taught me at home.
我上一次住院是八个月前,而且两年内都不用再回医院了。
My last visit to hospital was eight months ago, and I don't have to go back for two years.
今年夏天的一天,我听到父母在谈论学校的事。
One day this summer, I heard my parents talking about schools.
你们在说什么呢?
What are you talking about?
我问了。
I asked.
你觉得你准备好上学了吗?
Do you think you're ready for school?
妈妈问。
Asked mom.
没有,我说。
No, I said.
我不能再教你更多了,她说。
I can't teach you much more, she said.
你知道我数学很差。
You know I am bad at math.
什么学校?
What school?
我问。
I asked.
离我们家很近的比彻预科学校。
Beecher Prep near our house.
我真的不想去,我说。
I really don't want to, I said.
好吧,妈妈说。
Okay, said mom.
我们稍后再谈这件事。
We'll talk about it later.
我不想去,但我知道妈妈是对的。
I didn't want to go, but I knew mom was right.
而且她数学真的很差。
And she is really bad at math.
暑假期间,我们去学校见了校长图什曼先生。
In the summer vacation, we went to the school to see the school principal, mister Tushman.
您好,图什曼先生。
Hi, mister Tushman.
很高兴再次见到你,妈妈说。
Nice to see you again, said mom.
这是我的儿子,奥古斯特。
This is my son, August.
图什曼先生握了妈妈的手,然后握了我的手。
Mister Tushman shook mom's hand and then mine.
你好,奥古斯特,图什曼先生说。
Hi, August, said mister Tushman.
他盯着我看。
He looked at me.
没多少人会这么做。
Not many people do that.
很高兴认识你。
I'm very happy to meet you.
你爸妈跟我讲了很多关于你的事。
Your mom and dad have told me a lot about you.
他们跟你说了什么?
What have they told you?
说你喜欢读书,是个出色的艺术家,而且特别喜欢科学。
That you like to read, that you're a great artist, and that you really like science.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
是的,我说。
Yes, I said.
没错。
I do.
我们这里有一些很棒的科学老师,塔什曼先生说。
We have some great science teachers here, said mister Tushman.
现在你需要去参观一下学校。
Now you need to visit the school.
我喜欢塔什曼先生。
I liked mister Tushman.
在图什曼先生办公室的门外,我听到了孩子们的声音。
Outside the door of mister Tushman's office, I could hear children's voices.
突然间,我又害怕了起来。
Suddenly, I was frightened again.
我和小孩子相处没问题。
I'm okay with little children.
有时候他们会说刻薄的话,但他们并不是真的想伤害你。
Sometimes they say cruel things, but they don't want to hurt you.
但大一点的孩子更难应付。
But older children are more difficult.
所以我留了长发,这样如果我不想看什么,就可以看不见。
So I have long hair because then I can't see things if I don't want to.
奥古斯都,图什曼先生说。
August, said mister Tushman.
我想让你认识一些其他五年级的学生。
I want you to meet some other fifth grade students.
我不想去见任何孩子,”我对妈妈说。
I don't want to meet any kids, I said to mom.
图什曼先生凝视着我的眼睛。
Mister Tushman looked into my eyes.
会没事的,奥古斯特,”他说。
This is going to be okay, August, he said.
这些人都是好人。
These are nice people.
然后他打开了门。
And he opened the door.
进来吧,孩子们,”他说。
Come in, children, he said.
两个男孩和一个女孩走了进来。
And two boys and a girl walked in.
他们没有看我或妈妈。
They didn't look at me or mom.
他们站在门边,看着图什曼先生。
They stood near the door and looked at mister Tushman.
他们也很害怕。
They were frightened too.
谢谢你们前来,图什曼先生说。
Thank you for coming, said mister Tushman.
我想让你们认识一下奥古斯特,一位新生。
I want you to meet August, a new student.
他将加入你们的班级。
He'll be in your homeroom.
原来这就是奥古斯特。
So this is August.
奥古斯特,这是杰克。
August, this is Jack.
杰克看着我,伸出了手。
Jack looked at me and put out his hand.
我握了握他的手。
I shook it.
他微笑着说了声‘嘿’,然后迅速低下头。
He smiled, said, hey, and looked down quickly.
这是朱利安,图什曼先生说。
This is Julian, said mister Tushman.
朱利安和杰克做了同样的事。
Julian did the same as Jack.
他握了我的手,微笑着,然后低下头。
He shook my hand, smiled, and looked down.
还有夏洛特。
And Charlotte.
夏洛特有一头非常金黄的头发。
Charlotte had really blonde hair.
她没有和我握手,但挥了挥手,微笑着。
She didn't shake my hand, but she waved and smiled.
嗨,奥古斯都。
Hi, August.
很高兴认识你,她说。
Nice to meet you, she said.
嗨,我低头说道。
Hi, I said looking down.
她穿着绿色的鞋子。
She had green shoes.
好的,图什曼先生说。
Okay, said mister Tushman.
也许你可以带奥古斯都参观一下学校。
Maybe you can show the school to August.
带他去你的教室,然后带他看看科学教室和计算机教室。
Take him to your homeroom, and then show him the Science room and the computer room.
别忘了食堂。
Don't forget the cafeteria.
三个孩子走出了房间。
The three children went out the room.
我不得不跟在他们后面。
I had to follow them.
杰克、朱利安、夏洛特和我穿过一条走廊,走上楼梯。
Jack, Julian, Charlotte, and I walked across a hall and up some stairs.
没人说一句话。
Nobody said a word.
我们在一扇门前停下,门上写着301号。
We stopped at a door with the number 301 on it.
这是我们的教室,”朱利安说。
This is our homeroom, said Julian.
我们有佩托萨老师。
We have miss Petosa.
她还不错。
She's okay.
朱利安沿着走廊走过去。
Julian walked down the hall.
他停在另一扇门前,稍微打开了一点。
He stopped at another door and opened it a little.
这是科学教室。
This is the science room.
他站在门前面,没有看我。
He stood in front of the door, and he didn't look at me.
最好的科学老师是哈勒先生。
The best science teacher is mister Haller.
杰克说:‘把门开大点,让奥古斯特能看清楚里面’,然后他又把门推开了些。
Open the door more so August can see inside, said Jack, and he pushed the door some more.
朱利安迅速闪到一旁,因为他不想碰我,但他指了指房间里的一些东西。
Julian moved out of the way quickly because he didn't want to touch me, but he pointed to some of the things in the room.
那个大东西是黑板。
That big thing is the board.
那些是课桌,那些是椅子。
Those are desks, and those are chairs.
我肯定他知道,夏洛特说。
I'm sure he knows that, said Charlotte.
我有个问题,我说。
I have a question, I said.
自习室是什么?
What is homeroom?
那是你的小组。
It's your group.
你早上要去那里,夏洛特说。
You go there in the morning, said Charlotte.
你的自习室老师会核对每个人是否到校。
Your homeroom teacher checks that everybody is in school.
你每天都会见到她。
You see her every day.
你明白了吗?
Do you understand?
是的。
Yes.
谢谢,我说。
Thanks, I said.
接下来,他们带我看了剧院,那是夏洛特最喜欢的地方,还有图书馆。
Next, they showed me the theater, Charlotte's favorite place, and the library.
然后朱利安说,我可以问个问题吗?
Then Julian said, can I ask a question?
好的。
Okay.
我说,你的脸怎么这样?
I said, why is your face like that?
你之前着火了吗?
Were you in a fire?
朱利安,夏洛特说。
Julian, said Charlotte.
你不能这么问。
You can't ask that.
他生来就是这样。
He was born like that.
图什曼先生告诉我们的。
Mister Tushman told us.
你没在听。
You weren't listening.
来吧,奥古斯特,杰克说。
Come on, August, said Jack.
他打开图书馆的门,直视着我的脸。
He opened the library door and looked me in the face.
我回望着他,微笑了。
I looked back at him and smiled.
他也笑了。
He smiled too.
朱利安是个混蛋,他轻声说。
Julian's a jerk, he said quietly.
他们对你好吗?
Were they nice to you?
妈妈在家问。
Asked mom at home.
杰克还行,我说,但朱利安不是。
Jack was okay, I said, but not Julian.
如果你不想上学,就不必去,妈妈说。
You don't have to go to school if you don't want to, mom said.
没关系,妈妈。
It's okay, mom.
我想去。
I want to.
那是真的。
It was true.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。