本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这个BBC播客由英国境外的广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
深入大卫·米切尔和罗伯特·韦伯的疯狂世界,收听他们的BBC喜剧节目。
Dive into the bonkers world of David Mitchell and Robert Webb and listen to their BBC comedy show.
从无厘头的数学测验‘Wang’,到了解詹姆斯·邦德作为派对嘉宾的真实模样,每个人都能找到乐趣。
From nonsensical maths quiz number Wang to finding out what James Bond is really like as a party guest, there's something for everyone.
你好,m o t t 双 a t。
Hello, m o t t double a t.
是的。
Yes.
没错。
That's right.
这是那个声称真实存在的事物部。
This is the ministry of things that are apparently true.
是的。
Yes.
我们确实存在。
We do exist.
讽刺的是,这些传言是真的。
The rumors are true, ironically.
无论你在哪儿听有声书,都开始收听米切尔和韦伯的节目吧,第一至第五季全集。
Start listening to that Mitchell and Webb sound, the complete series one to five, wherever you get your audiobooks.
啊哈,你好,欢迎收听《你已死亡》,这是一档认真对待历史的BBC第四台喜剧播客。
Ahoy, hoy, and welcome to You're Dead to Me, the radio four comedy podcast that takes history seriously.
我叫格雷格·詹纳,是一名公共历史学家、作家和广播员。
My name is Greg Jenner, and I'm a public historian, author, and broadcaster.
今天是我们第150期节目,因此我们将拨回150期,深入了解电话的发明。
And today, it is our one hundred and fiftieth episode, and so we are picking up the receiver and dialing back exactly 150 to learn all about the invention of the telephone.
为了帮助我们完成这期特别的周年纪念节目,我们请到了两位特别的连线嘉宾。
And to help us with this special anniversary episode, we have two very special callers on the line.
在历史角落,他是阿伯里斯特威斯大学的历史学教授,也是维多利亚时代科学史与文化的专家。
In History Corner, he's professor of history at the University of Aberystwyth, and he's an expert on the history and culture of Victorian science.
你可能读过他的一些精彩著作,比如《维多利亚时代如何带我们登月》,并记得他在我们关于生命电学的那期节目中出现过。
You may have read one of his wonderful books, including How the Victorians Took Us to the Moon, and you'll remember him from our episode on Vital Electricity.
他是伊万·莫鲁斯教授。
It's professor Iwan Morus.
欢迎回来,伊万。
Welcome back, Iwan.
再次来到这里,格雷格,我感到非常荣幸。
It's a pleasure to be here again, Greg.
很高兴你再次回来。
Delighted to have you back.
在喜剧角落,她是一位获奖喜剧演员、作家、演员和播客主持人。
And in Comedy Corner, she's an award winning comedian, writer, actor, and podcaster.
你可能看过她精彩的单口喜剧表演,或在电视上看过她出演的《最后笑的人:岛屿篇》《QI》《 Mash Report》和《皇家阿尔伯特音乐厅现场》。
You may have seen her hilarious stand up shows or on the TV, on Last One Laughing Island, QI, The Mash Report, Live at the Apollo.
也许你听过她的BBC第四台节目《太长不读》,但你肯定记得她曾出现在我们许多往期节目中,比如关于大选历史和朱莉·达宾尼的那几期,她是谁呢?
Maybe you've heard her Radio four show, Too Long Didn't Read, but you'll certainly remember her from one of our many past episodes, including the history of general elections and Julie d'Aubigny, who is it?
当然,
Of course,
她是出色的凯瑟琳·博哈特。
it is the wonderful Catherine Bohart.
嗨。
Hi.
我很高兴能再次回来。
I'm so happy to be back.
我觉得你们把我的履历列得这么详细真是太好了,但其实我就是一个历史迷。
I feel like it's so nice of you delist my credits, but here I'm just a history nerd.
我就想,教我点东西吧。
I'm like, teach me something.
我太兴奋了。
I'm so excited.
我正想问呢。
I was gonna ask.
自从你一直在世界各地巡演、光彩照人以来,我们已经有一段时间没请你来了。
It's been a little while since we've had you on because you've been so busy touring the world and being glamorous.
这真好。
That's nice.
所以我本来想问一下,你是否还保持着对历史的痴迷?
So I was gonna ask, have you sort of maintained your history nerd energy?
是的。
Yeah.
我本来准备来好好批评一下同性恋,结果发现说的是电话,于是我开始想,难道一些无生命的物体也能有点名气吗?我的意思是,也许老式电视机确实有点浮夸或者有点娘。
And I came here fully ready to cast aspersions about homosexuality, and then I found out it's the telephone, and I've been like, well, can inanimate some of the I mean, maybe the older TV the televisions were a little bit of fame or like a little fay.
我想我或许可以说出这一点,但我认为我得更加留意了。
I think maybe I can maybe say that, but I I think it's gonna be I'm gonna have to pay more attention.
对。
Yeah.
你说科学?
Science, you say?
科学。
Science.
因为我确实学过历史,但几乎所有我能选择的地方,我都选了社会史。
Because I I did study history, but pretty much every place I could chose to study social history.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我完全不在行。
And so I'm out of my depth.
但我很兴奋。
And I'm excited.
我猜你有一部电话,凯瑟琳。
I'm guessing you own a telephone, Katharine.
我的意思是,你知道,在现代社会里,我们都得有,对吧?
I mean, you know, we all have to, right, in the modern world?
是的。
Yes.
我不确定我是不是那种人——如果没必要的话,我就不需要它。
And I'm not sure I am one of those people who are like, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't.
我觉得我有点把它当成我的特别朋友。
I think I'm a bit like, it's my special friend.
我和我的特别朋友。
Me and my special friend.
你知道它的发明历史吗?比如最初的二十五年左右?
Do you know anything about its invention, its early history, first twenty five years or so?
我的意思是,我听说过亚历山大·格拉汉姆·贝尔这个名字。
I mean, I've heard the words Alexander Graham Bell.
当然。
Sure.
你还会再听到这个名字的。
And you'll hear them again.
是的。
Yes.
你知道吗,我看很多古装剧。
You know, I watch a lot of period dramas.
我看过很多打电话给接线员的场景。
I've seen a lot of calling an operator.
我对这一点有些了解,但对其中的科学原理一无所知。
And, I have some sense of that, but I don't have any sense of the science of it.
我不知道它是怎么工作的。
I don't know how that worked.
我猜是用罐头和绳子。
I'm assuming tin cans and string.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
差不多吧,伊万?
Sort of right, isn't it, Iwan?
比我的要复杂一点。
Slightly more complicated than mine.
看来我也超出了我的能力范围。
Seems I'm out of my depth too then.
好吧。
Okay.
那你了解什么?
So what do you know?
这就是‘那你了解什么?’
This is the So What Do You Know?
在这里,我会尝试猜测你,我们可爱的听众,对今天的话题了解多少。
This is where I have a go at guessing what you, our lovely listener, might know about today's subject.
和凯瑟琳一样,你知道电话是什么。
And like Katharine, you know what a phone is.
事实上,你现在很可能正在用手机收听这个播客。
In fact, you're probably listening to this podcast on a phone right now.
你是不是很现代?
Aren't you modern?
但电话的早期历史和发明又是怎样的呢?
But what about the phone's early history and invention?
也许你像凯瑟琳一样,听说过亚历山大·格拉汉姆·贝尔。
Maybe you've heard of Alexander Graham Bell like Katharine had.
也许你看过一些时代电影,里面的人们对着看起来很复杂的装置说话,要求接通接线员。
Maybe you've seen period movies where people are speaking to complicated looking contraptions and asking to speak to the operator.
但贝尔真的是第一个发明者吗?
But was Bell really the first inventor?
人们对这种新颖的通信技术有何反应?‘线路交叉’又是什么意思?
How did people react to this novel communication technology, and what does it mean to get your wires crossed?
让我们来了解一下。
Let's find out.
好的。
Right.
凯瑟琳,我们的周年纪念年是1876年,至少对我们来说是这样。
Katharine, our big anniversary year was 1876, at least for our purposes.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们先倒回到电话出现之前,让你了解当时的情况。
So we're gonna rewind to before the telephone and and get you up to speed on what came before.
那么在电话出现之前,你觉得人们是如何进行远距离沟通的呢?
So how do you think people had previously communicated across long distances before the telephone?
当然,我要排除寄信这种方式,因为这太简单了。
And of course, I'm gonna discount sending post because that feels too easy.
那人们还可能做过些什么呢?
So what else would people might have done?
好的。
Okay.
所以推测起来,摩斯电码是一种远距离沟通的方式。
So presumably Morse code was a way of communicating over long distances.
是的。
Mhmm.
鸽子。
Pigeons.
不错?
Good?
鸽子一直都很管用,对吧?
Pigeons were always pretty good, weren't they?
是的,把鸽子寄出去。
Yeah, send a pigeon in the post.
对,就是这样。
Yes, exactly.
我猜是望眼欲穿吧。
Post yearning, I assume.
是的,就是从那种氛围中选出来的。
Yeah, one picked up from that vibe wise.
就像望着窗外。
Like looking out windows.
看,就是这样。
See, right.
我就是这么假设的。
That's what I'm assuming.
对,有点《呼啸山庄》那种氛围。
Right, sort of some Wuthering Heights energy.
是的。
Yeah.
坐在窗边叹气。
Sighing in a window seat.
这难道没有把你的讯息传得很远吗?
Did that not convey your message afar?
我的意思是,当然了。
I mean, sure.
我的意思是,你是个很棒的浪漫主义者,也许确实传到了。
I mean, you're a great romantic, maybe it did.
是的,我想我是。
Yeah, I think I am.
把你的心碎释放到虚空,希望他们能感受到你。
Put your heartbreak into the ether and hope that they heard you.
在电力普及之前,人们是如何进行远距离交流的?
How did people communicate over long distances before we're into electricity?
真正的答案是电报。
The real answer is the electric telegraph.
那就是一切的开端。
That's when it all starts.
我的意思是,回到那之前。
I mean, go back before that.
烽火台,我的意思是,想想看,是的。
Fire beacons, I mean, think Yeah.
在山丘上点燃烽火,就像在后宫上方 chalk 一样。
Chalking right over the harem, sort of fire fire on the hills.
就是这样。
That's the thing.
信号杆,你可以通过视线范围内的线路发送信号。
Semaphore poles, could you could send signals over kind of line of sight in that kind of way.
是的。
Yes.
确实如此。
Indeed.
信鸽。
Carrier pigeons.
有各种各样的方式来传递基本、直接、并不太复杂的信息,跨越长距离。
All sorts of ways of conveying pretty basic, straightforward, not really very complicated information over long distances.
除此之外,信息的传播速度本质上取决于你能多快。
Beyond that really, information travels essentially as fast as you can.
你可以寄一封信,速度和你骑马去送信完全一样。
You can send a letter at exactly the same speed that you could go if you went by horse,
马车,之类的。
carriage, whatever.
真奇怪,我居然已经觉得听起来不错了。
It's crazy that I'm already like, oh, sounds nice.
真的吗?
Really?
听起来很平静。
It just sounds peaceful.
听起来就像,你知道的,现在你发一封邮件,还没来得及想‘我发了’,
It sounds like you know, like, at the because at the minute you send an email and before you even had the moment to be like, I did it.
我回了一封邮件。
I answered an email.
对方已经回复你了,你却说:‘等等,还没轮到我呢。’
They've answered you again and you're like, no, it's not my turn.
怎么就轮到我了?
How is it my turn?
那种终于可以松口气的甜蜜感觉,比如对邮递员说声祝你好运,然后心想:等它回来我再处理。
The sweet relief of being like, best of luck lads to the postman, and then being like, I'll deal with that when it returns.
这是典型的维多利亚时代式抱怨,凯瑟琳。
This is a peak Victorian complaint, Katharine.
他们说世界变得太快了,快得让人无法适应。
They said the world got too fast too quickly, they couldn't cope anymore.
是的。
Yeah.
真是令人惊叹。
Just Wow.
根本跟不上。
Can't keep up.
是的。
Yeah.
从澳大利亚传来的消息需要数周,从中欧或美洲传来的消息也需要数周才能到达。
It would've taken weeks for news to reach from months from Australia, weeks from Central Europe or America.
所以,是的,你显然在使用电报机。
And so, yeah, the and you're I mean, you're on obviously the the telegraph machine.
这是改变世界的关键技术,对吧?
That is the crucial world changing technology, isn't it?
是的。
Yeah.
从十九世纪初开始,人们就开始尝试探索,你看,我们可以用电做各种有趣而壮观的事情,比如电击、火花,等等各种现象。
From the beginning of the nineteenth century, people start trying to figure out, look, you know, we can do all sorts of interesting spectacular things with with electricity, shocks, sparks, I mean, all sorts of stuff.
如果你能让这些现象在远处发生,那就意味着你找到了某种通信方式。
If you can get that to happen at a distance, then you have some kind of way of communication.
而这正是人们当时努力的方向。
And that's what people were trying to do.
1837年,在英国伦敦,查尔斯·惠斯通和威廉·富瑟吉尔·库克申请了世界上第一个电磁电报专利。
In 1837, in The UK, in London, Charles Wheatstone and William Fothergill Cook take out what's the first patent for an electromagnetic telegraph.
本质上,这是一种能够远距离传输信息的装置。
Basically, a gizmo that allows you to send information at a distance.
我很抱歉。
I'm so sorry.
电报是不是就像每三个词停一下的那种东西?我在想的是同一个东西吗?
Is electric telegraph are we am I thinking of the same thing when it's like, stop every three three words?
那是电报吗?
Is that a telegraph?
是的。
Yeah.
明白了。
Mean Okay.
太好了。
Great.
你在想
You're you're thinking
为什么我觉得这个‘停’这么重要?
Why do I feel like the stop the stop is so important?
是的。
Yeah.
你们看起来都盯着我,好像在说‘啥?’
You guys don't seem you're looking at me like, what?
你说到‘停’的时候,我以为你要说‘锤子时间’。
When you said stop, thought you were gonna say hammer time.
所以,我道歉。
So I apologies.
你知道,我作为千禧一代的本能立刻就想到:MC Hammer?
Know, my millennial instincts just immediately went, MC Hammer?
我们要跳MC Hammer的舞吗?
We're doing MC Hammer?
不。
No.
但问题是,你必须表达出标点的停顿。
But is it it's it is where you have to kind of express the punctuation.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
对。
Yeah.
第一个电报被称为针式电报。
The the first telegraph is what they call the needle telegraph.
当你在发送端按下不同的按钮时,指针会指向不同的字母,从而拼出单词。
And depending on what button you press at the transmitting end, the needles will point at a different letter so you kind of spell out words.
这就是惠斯通和库克电报。
That was the Wheatstone and Cook telegraph.
差不多在同一时期,大西洋南岸。
Pretty much at around by the same time, the South Of The Atlantic.
塞缪尔·莫尔斯发明了他版本的电报,并为此发明了莫尔斯电码。
Samuel Morse invents his version of the telegraph and in connection with that he invented the Morse code.
这种由点和划组成的系统,可以转换成字母表中的字母,从而以这种方式传递信息。
That kind of system of dots and dashes that translates into letters of alphabet and allows you to send information that way.
真正流行起来的是莫尔斯系统,或者说是莫尔斯的传输系统。
It was the Morse system, or at least the Morse system of transmission, that really catches on.
一旦人们清楚电报将变得重要且有利可图,就会有很多人试图参与其中。
Once it becomes clear that telegraphy is going to be important, it's going be lucrative, then lots of people are trying to get in on the act.
电话也会有同样的特点。
And that's going to be a feature of telephone as well.
是的。
Yeah.
因此,到40年代末、50年代时,电报线路在英国、欧洲和北美广泛铺设,通常沿着铁路线延伸。
So by the end of the 40s being the 50s, telegraph lines proliferating across The UK, across Europe, across North America, typically following the railway lines.
大量的商业信息和政府信息。
Lots of business information, lots of government information.
它主要是一种商业工具,用于传递各种商业信息。
It's largely a kind of commercial tool conveying information about all sorts of commercial stuff.
这有点无聊。
That's kind of boring.
基本上越快越好。
Basically as quickly as possible.
八卦电报在哪?
Where's the gossip telegram?
那是我的
That was my
问题是。
was question.
一位叫鲁特尔先生的人
A chap called Mr.
创办了一家新闻机构,因为他意识到:等等,我可以通过这个赚钱。
Reuter's who set up a news agency because he realized, hang on a second, I can make some money on this.
太好了。
Great.
真的吗?
Really?
是的。
Yeah.
我不再把路透社当成我的八卦小报了,但是
I don't think of Reuters as my gossip rag anymore, but
当然。
Sure.
它确实是,但也许我会重新开始这么看。
It's But maybe I'll start to.
它没那么奇怪了。
It's not quite as bizarre anymore.
但确实如此。
But yeah.
所以那是不。
So that's No.
不是那种纯粹的八卦内容。
Not not not quite gossip stuff.
是的。
Yeah.
1866年,跨大西洋的电报线。
1866, telegraph wire across the Atlantic.
是的。
Yeah.
然后商业案例真正开始启动。
And then the business case really kicks off.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你能知道小麦的价格,比如当它被装上船准备从纽约或波士顿等地运往大西洋对岸时,而那些地方到欧洲的航程需要数天甚至数周,那你就能大赚一笔。
If you can know the prices, say, of wheat, when it's being put onto onto a ship, you know, in New York or Boston or whatever to take those days, weeks to cross the Atlantic, then you can make a financial killing.
你可以进行投机。
You can speculate.
我的意思是,这就是起源,属于严肃的股票交易。
I mean, this is the origins, and it's serious stock trading.
我认为我们即将揭示的是,我对金融投机毫无概念,但为什么知道货物上船时的价格,当信息传输成为可能时,意味着你可以
I think what we're about to reveal is that I don't have any sense of, financial speculation, but why does knowing the price of it when it gets on the boat in New York with information transmission being possible mean Because that you
你知道一些你的竞争对手不知道的信息。
you know something that your competitors don't.
是的。
Yeah.
你将在它进入市场时买入,因为你已经知道它那时的价格。
You're gonna buy it when it arrives on the market, knowing how much it's gonna knowing how much it costs then.
因为船运仍然需要数周时间。
Because it's still gonna take weeks to come across in the boat.
所以,对。
So Right.
你不可能通过电报发送小麦。
It's a you can't you can't send wheat by telegraph.
是的。
Yes.
所以食物本身正在船上缓慢运输,但你提前获得的信息可以让你提前购买。
So the food itself is on the boat going slowly, but your information you've got in advance, can buy in advance.
你可以在东西还便宜的时候提前购买。
You can you can pre buy things when they're cheaper.
好的。
Okay.
所以你是
Well So you're
所以在
at the so
所以这几乎,实际上几乎是某种东西。
so it's almost, actually almost something.
这实际上是一种信息交易,而这种信息是有价值的。
It is a trade really in information, and that information is valuable.
快速获取信息是有价值的。
Getting it quickly is valuable.
因此,许多发明家都在尝试寻找方法,不仅仅是同时通过线路发送单一的信息流,而是同时发送两条甚至四条信息流。
So lots and lots of inventors trying to figure out ways of not just simply sending, you know, one stream of information down the wire at the same time, but two streams of information down the wire or four streams of information.
因此,双工电报、四工电报,都是为了越来越快地传输信息。
So duplex telegraphy, quadruplex telegraphy, all trying to get information more and more quickly.
我的意思是,这就是19世纪60年代、70年代的电报世界。
I mean, that's the telegraphic world of the eighteen sixties, eighteen seventies.
电话就是在这个时候出现的。
That's where the telephone comes in.
是的。
Yeah.
而这也让我们认识了亚历山大·格拉汉姆·贝尔,你刚才提到的那位,凯瑟琳。
And that's where we meet Alexander Graham Bell, who you mentioned, Catherine.
你知道他出生在哪里吗?
Do you know where he was born?
你知道他出生在哪个国家吗?
Do you know which country he was born in?
不知道。
No.
我的意思是,贝尔给我的感觉是英国人,但也许这不对。
I I mean, Bell to me feels British, but maybe that's not true.
我不确定。
I don't know.
英国是对的,但不是英格兰。
British is is correct, but it's not not England.
哦,他是苏格兰人吗?
Oh, is he a Scot?
是的。
He is.
是的。
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
他出生在苏格兰。
He's born in Scotland.
他于1847年出生在爱丁堡。
He's born in Edinburgh 1847.
伊万的家庭对语言和声音感兴趣,因为他的母亲是聋人,因此他对用于沟通的声音技术很感兴趣。
Iwan, his his family are interested in speech and sound because his mother is deaf, and so he's he's interested in this sound technology for communication purposes.
是的。
Yes.
当然。
Absolutely.
我的意思是,母亲是聋人。
I mean, mother is is deaf.
不仅如此,他来自一个奇特的演讲家家庭,那些人教你如何正确地说话。
I mean, more than that, he comes weirdly from a family of elocutionists, people who teach you how to speak properly.
这就是贝尔的背景。
That's the Bell background.
所以他对语音感兴趣。
So he's interested in speech.
他对沟通感兴趣。
He's interested in communication.
他母亲是聋人,如果我没记错的话,他父亲开发了一种手语,使他能够与妻子交流。
His mother is deaf, his father, if I remember rightly, develops a kind of sign language that allows him to communicate with his wife.
因此,贝尔成长于一个重视语音沟通、以新方式传递信息的家庭。
So Bell comes from a background that cares about speech communication, conveying things in new ways.
他们搬到了加拿大和美国。
They go over to Canada and The States.
贝尔是一位音乐家。
Bell is a musician.
他从事语音教学工作。
He works as an avocutionist.
他与聋人交流,为聋人服务。
He works with deaf people communicating to the deaf.
在其他人当中,他教授——
Amongst other people, he teaches Well,
他教一位年轻女士
he teaches a young lady
就在这时
That's the point where
我是梅布尔。
I'm Mabel.
梅布尔。
Mabel.
一位名叫梅布尔的年轻女士,她是加德纳·哈伯德的女儿。
A young lady called Mabel, who's the daughter of a chap called Gardner Hubbard.
个好名字,对吧?
A good name, isn't it?
加德纳·哈伯德。
Gardener Hubbard.
加德纳·哈伯德。
Gardener Hubbard.
是的。
Yeah.
天哪。
Goodness me.
而梅布尔是聋哑人。
And Mabel is deaf.
结果,贝尔娶了她。
And lo and behold, Bell marries her.
这婚姻有点问题,我觉得,因为
Sort of problematic marriage claxon time, I think, because
对。
Yeah.
但至少那是
But at least That's
我们被允许做的所有事情。
all the thing that we'd be allowed to do.
是的。
Yes.
抱歉。
Sorry.
我们在这部系列剧中已经投入了很多。
We've we've invested in that this series.
我们花了一些钱。
We spent some money.
我没想到它
I'm surprised it
花了这么长时间。
took this long.
老实说,我所了解的所有历史都表明,你本该早就准备好出发了。
Honestly, everything I know about history says you should have really been ready to go.
他确实等到她年满18岁之后,这在本剧中其实已经很不错了。
He did wait till she was after 18, which on this show is actually good.
非常罕见。
Pretty rare.
我的意思是,我知道标准很低,但确实如此。
I mean, I I know it's a low bar, but, you know It is.
我的意思是,晚青春期总比早青春期好得多。
I mean, late teens always better than early teeny signs.
忍不住觉得。
Can't help but feel.
他有一个聋哑的母亲和一个聋哑的妻子。
So he had a a deaf mother, deaf wife.
他在当今聋人社区中是一个相当复杂且有争议的人物,因为他在晚年反对手语。
He's quite a complicated, controversial character in the deaf community today because later on in life, he argues against sign language.
他算不上一个伟大的英雄,但我们没太多时间讨论这个。
He's not a great hero, but we don't have time to talk about that so much.
所以我直接跳过,说一下,电报这个词其实是个源自古希腊的复合词,意思是远距离书写,'tele' 是远距离,'graphy' 是书写。
So I'll just sort of move on and say, telegraphy is a sort of ancient Greek modern compound word meaning far away writing, tele far away graphy writing.
电话就是远距离的声音。
Telephony is far away sound.
这就是亚历山大·格拉汉姆·贝尔那个新奇而令人兴奋的问号吗?
Is that what the new big exciting question mark is for for Alexander Graham Bell?
你怎么把声音传到很远的地方?
How do you get sound across a long distance?
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,我觉得就是这样。
I mean, I think that's it.
没错。
Exactly.
真的没有特别好的方法来做这件事。
There isn't really a very good way of doing that.
喊叫,喂。
Shouting, hello.
我喜欢渴望。
I love yearning.
渴望,我觉得是关于渴望还是尖叫?
Yearning, I think is What about yearning or screaming?
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
男孩们。
Boys.
渴望的市场价值有限,我
Yearning had limited market value, I
我觉得,大概是。
think, probably.
不同意。
Disagree.
好的。
Okay.
就和BBC待在一起吧。
Just hang out with the BBC.
渴望的频道。
The channel of yearning.
好吧。
Alright.
曾经有像‘魔法骗子’这样的东西,拼写是l-y-r-e,不是说谎的那种,由查尔斯·惠斯通发明。
There were things like the enchanted liar, l y r e, not the not the lying sort, invented by Charles Wheatstone
嗯。
Mhmm.
一个电报专家。
A telegraph chap.
你有一个里拉琴,一个小小的竖琴状装置漂浮在房间里,不仅能播放音乐,还能播放钢琴曲或小提琴曲。
You had a lyre, a little harp thing floating around in a room, and you could play not just music, but say piano music or violin music.
它本质上是在传输另一个房间中其他乐器的声音。
It was basically transmitting sound from another instrument in another room.
哦,哇。
Oh wow.
所以是一种远程音乐。
So kind of music at a distance.
是的。
Yes.
对。
Right.
大约在1860年代,我想,一位名叫爱德华·利维·斯科特·山维尔的绅士发明了他称之为声波自记仪的装置,这是一种记录声音的设备。
Round and about the 1860s, I think, a gentleman by the name of Edward Levi Scott the Mountainville invented what he called a phonautograph, which was a device for recording sound.
想象那些针尖和纸上的线条。
Think of those kind of needles, lines on a piece of paper.
我的意思是,声波记录仪其实就是由这些线条生成的。
I mean, was essentially the phonautogram was being generated out out of those.
所以你可以拥有一个样本的录音。
So you could have a recording of the sample.
但你无法播放它。
You couldn't reproduce it.
你无法听到那段声音。
You couldn't you couldn't listen to the noise.
同样在1860年左右,菲利普·里斯发明了他称之为电话的装置。
Again, round of 1860, Philip Rice invents what he calls a telephone.
所以他是德国人。
So And he's German.
所以当我们说里斯时,是R-E-I-S,对吧?
So when we say Rice, it's r e I s, isn't
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
吗?
it?
是的。
Yes.
对。
Yeah.
所以是电话。
So a telephone.
谢谢你没有让我想象错的东西。
Thank you for not letting me imagine the wrong thing.
做得好。
Good for you.
所以他发明了‘电话’这个词。
So he invented the the word telephone.
他发明了‘电话’这个词。
He invented the word telephone.
好的。
Okay.
他发明了一种能够通过电力远距离传输声音但不能传输语音的仪器。
And he invented an instrument that could electrically transmit sound over a distance, but not voice.
有人正在研究这个。
There are people working on this.
我的意思是,就像电报一样,人们可以看到这里存在潜力,作为寻找更快、更高效、更有利可图的远距离电报方式的一部分,非常非常快。
I mean, is as with a telegraph, you know, people can see that there's, you know, there's potential here as part of that search for quicker, more efficient, more lucrative ways of telegraphing long distances very, very quickly.
莱斯能听到说话声音时的模糊声音吗?
Is Rice getting, like, muffled sound even from speaking of voices?
他听到的是像在火车隧道里的那种噪音吗?
Is he getting like you're in a tunnel on a train noise?
他听到的是
Is he getting
只是听到一种嗡嗡声。
Just getting kind of buzz.
所以你还没把
So you're not putting
你的手机放进莱斯的设备里。
your phone in Rice yet.
喂?
Hello?
喂?
Hello?
喂?
Hello?
有人吗?
Anyone?
没有吗?
No?
我喜欢它。
Was I liked it.
抱歉。
Sorry.
我正在努力。
I was I'm trying.
我们还应该提到另外两位伟大的发明家。
Two other big inventors we should mention.
你听说过伊莱沙·格雷或安东尼奥·梅乌奇吗?
Have you ever heard of Elisha Gray or Antonio Meucci?
没有。
No.
但我希望伊莱沙可能是个女性。
But I'm hopeful that Elisha might has a chance of being a woman.
没有。
No.
没有。
No.
好的。
Okay.
我刚才那一瞬间还在想,难道就只有埃利沙吗?
I was like for a second, was like, is it just Elisha?
你 basically 是在跟我说这个意思吗?
Is that basically what you're saying to me?
好的。
Okay.
不。
No.
我从来没听说过这两个人。
I haven't heard of either of those
另外两个人是我觉得可以和贝尔并列的电话的共同发明者或竞争对手。
They other are the two big names I think we could we can put up as as co or rival inventors of the telephone alongside Bell.
竞争对手。
Rival inventors.
非常感谢。
Think very much.
当然,从他们个人的角度来看
Certainly from their individual
嗯,他们并没有合作。
Well, they're not collaborative.
他们不是盟友。
They're not they're not allies.
不是。
No.
他们不是合作者。
They're not collaborators.
绝对不是。
Absolutely not.
三个人都是竞争对手?
All three are rivals?
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
所以再给我报一遍他们的名字。
So say say their names to me again.
安东尼奥·梅乌奇是一位意大利人,我认为他搬到了美国。
So Antonio Meucci is an Italian who I think moves to The States, I think.
是的。
Yes.
他搬到了美国。
Mean, he moves to The States.
他发明了他称之为电报机的装置。
He invents what he calls the telegraphon.
啊,漂亮,‘电话’,没错,很棒。
Ah, beautiful, 'teletrophone', yeah, great.
并在1871年申请了专利或专利预告,也就是说,这是一种承诺书,表明我还没完全完成,但我已经抢先占位了
And takes out a patent in 1871, or a caveat for a patent, that is to say a kind of promissory note that I haven't quite got there yet but I'm laying dibs on this
发明的临时预留
invention placeholder.
我正在研究这个东西
I'm working on this.
当它问世时
When it emerges.
从关于梅乌奇发明的描述来看,加拿大确实实现了一些电话的功能,但也有一些奇怪的方面
Looking at accounts of Meucci's invention, clearly Canada does some things that a telephone can do, but there are weird aspects as well.
我的意思是,比如根据梅乌奇的说法,使用者必须绝缘
I mean, example, according to Meucci, users have to be insulated.
他们必须站在玻璃凳子上
They have to stand on on glass stools.
哦,完全合理的期望
Oh, totally reasonable expectations.
我
I
我的意思是,每个人家里都放着玻璃凳子。
mean, everybody has glass stools lying around.
毕竟。
After all.
他们三个人之间的同步性达到什么程度?
What level of simultaneousness is this occurring within the three of them?
哦,这是个好问题。
Oh, it's a good question.
这是1871年。
This is 1871.
所以这个
So this
这都差不多是同时发生的。
is This is this this is all pretty close.
他是美国第一个申请了我们可以称之为电话的专利的人。
He's the first to file in America a patent that we might say is telephonic.
公平吗?
Fair?
是的。
Yes.
好的。
Okay.
但这是他的专利,还是他只是在
But is it his patent or is it him going
不。
No.
再等一下,别急。
Just hang a hang a fire again.
肯定会获得专利的。
Totally gonna be patent.
这是一个案例。
It is a case.
请注意,很多正在进行的事情都只是拖延而已。
Mind you, a lot of what's going on is kind of a hang a fire.
我不是。
I'm not.
而且,他还剥夺了梅乌奇的成果。
And also, he's gutted Meucci.
这人可不是有钱人。
He's he's not made of money, this guy.
他付不起专利续费。
He can't afford to keep the patent.
还得再交10美元,对吧?
He it's it's another $10, isn't it?
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,这个临时保护期持续几年,之后你就得掏钱才能继续维持。
I mean, I think the caveat lasts a few years, and then you gotta then you have to put your money down to keep it going.
是的。
Yeah.
要十美元。
It's $10.
梅乌奇拿不出十美元,所以临时保护就失效了。
Meucci doesn't have $10, so the caveat lapses.
对。
Yeah.
你得给手机充值。
You have to put credit on your phone.
对。
Yeah.
这太疯狂了。
That's crazy.
每月为你的专利付费。
Pay monthly on your patent.
是的。
Yeah.
与此同时,埃利沙·格雷。
So in the meantime, Elisha Gray.
他是一位靠电报发明赚钱并持续获利的人。
Again, is somebody who's made his money and is making his money out of telegraph invention.
不断开发电报技术的新变体和新改进。
Developing new variations, new improvements on telegraph technology.
再次强调,为了使这些设备运行得更快。
Again, to make this stuff work faster.
按键模式,也就是所谓的谐波电报和声音电报。
Key patterns, what's called a harmonic telegraph and a sound telegraph.
所以,是的。
So, yeah.
是哪一年
What year is
啊?
that?
1874年。
1874.
哦,好的。
Oh, okay.
那就是了,然后在1876年,贝尔突然出手,把他的东西送到专利局,申请了专利预告,说:看,我能做这件事。
That's where And then in 1876, Bell goes, well, bing, essentially, and takes his his stuff to the patent office, he gets his caveat on the patent to say, look, I I can do this thing.
这是著名的案例。
This is the famous case.
对吧?
Right?
因为从技术上讲,格雷才是第一个进门的人。
Because, technically, Gray's the first one through the door.
所以格雷先到了专利局,但他提交的只是专利预告申请,而不是完整的专利。
So Gray arrived first at the patent office, but what he submitted was a patent caveat, so not the full patent.
大约一小时后,贝尔出现了,或者更准确地说,贝尔的律师们到了,并提交了完整的专利申请。
An hour or so later, Bell turned up, or rather Bell's lawyers turned up, and they submitted the full thing, the full patent application.
在1870年代,电气发明领域是一个相对较小的圈子。
The world of electrical invention is a relatively small one in the eighteen 1870s.
贝尔和格雷肯定彼此知道对方,他们显然知道自己在研究类似的东西。
Bell and Gray, which certainly have known about each other, they would certainly have known they were working on kind of similar stuff.
他们是在同一个城市工作吗?
Are they working in the same city?
我觉得不是。
Don't think so.
不是。
No.
但我认为他们可能必须到同一个办公室提交申请。
But I think they probably have to file in the same office.
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,就只有一个办公室。
I mean, there's there's there's just the one.
对。
Yeah.
专利局。
Patent office.
而且它
And it's
实际上是他们。
actually them.
我忘了他们的律师。
I miss their lawyers.
对。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
谁是谁
Who are who
在做这件事
are doing this
在那个点上,你就是不希望任何人帮你吗?
on At on their that point, do you just not want anybody, like, helping you?
如果有人泄露机密,你能完全不寻求任何协助吗?
Can you have no assistance in case people are spilling secrets?
他们是怎么知道彼此的实际流程的?
Like, how do they do they know about each other's actual process?
贝尔得到了他岳父的支持。
Bell's got support from his father-in-law.
对吧?
Right?
所以他有一些经济支持。
So he's got some financial support.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,他有资金支持。
Mean, he's I mean, he's got financial backing.
所以梅布尔的父亲很有钱,一直在支持他。
So Mabel's dad is quite rich and has been backing him.
是的。
Yeah.
而格雷还没有那么多资金。
So and Gray hasn't quite got that cash.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
而且
And
我的意思是,格雷很富裕。
I mean, Gray is prosperous.
我的意思是,他,嗯,他有自己的一套资源,叫什么来着?
Mean, I mean, he's I mean, yeah, he's got his own kind of what's he called?
西部电报公司之类的。
The west the western telegraph company or something like that.
这些人没有一个是有钱的。
None of these people are impecunious.
除了梅乌奇。
Apart from Meucci.
除了梅乌奇。
Apart from Meucci.
他
He's
他就像,不好意思。
He's like, excuse me.
我能借支笔吗?
Can I borrow a pen?
我喜欢他。
He's I like him.
这说明他是那个失去的人。
It's it's it's telling that he's the one that's lost that
在某种意义上,不是。
in a certain No.
不是的。
It's not.
某种意义上。
A certain sense.
所以非常接近。
So it's really close.
是的。
Yeah.
所以贝尔和格雷在同一天提交申请,但专利授予了贝尔。
So Bell and Gray file on the same day, but Bell is awarded the patent.
到目前为止,我想说,我们已经有了电话、电传图、电传声像、谐波电报。
Up to this point, I just wanna say, we've had telephone, we've had teleautograph, we've had teletrophono, we've had harmonic telegraph.
这些词都是对这项新技术的美妙称呼。
They're lovely words for this new technology.
凯瑟琳,考虑到你的创造力,如果让我请你为电话重新命名,你会给这项技术起什么新名字?
Katharine, given your creativity, if I had to ask you to rebrand the phone with a new name, what would you redub the technology of a
电话,人类最好的朋友。
phone Man's best friend.
handy little helper。
Handy little helper.
真可爱。
Charming.
是的。
Yeah.
伊万,显然我们有两位竞争者在同一天提交了专利申请。
Iwan, we've we've obviously got two rival inventors filing a patent on the same day.
显而易见的问题是,凯瑟琳,如果这个问题不公平,我向你道歉,但我想我们俩都不太懂电话是如何从工程角度工作的。
The obvious question, and I think, Katharine, you know, apologies if it is unfair, but I think both of us are not we're not really great on the engineering of how phones work.
你曾经
You went
我接受这一点。
I accept that.
你用过罐头和绳子,而我则用了,是的。
You went tin cans and string, and I went, yes.
所以,伊万,这些早期的、非常基础的电话是如何工作的?
So, Iwan, how do these early, very basic telephones of a sort work?
回想一下,
Think back,
我希望这能让你想起中学物理。
I hope, to school physics.
你知道,如果你拿一块磁铁,这是19世纪30年代的迈克尔·法拉第。
You know that if you take your magnet this is Michael Faraday in the eighteen thirties.
拿一块磁铁。
Take one magnet.
拿一卷电线。
Take one coil of wire.
嗯。
Mhmm.
把磁铁在电线圈里来回移动。
Move the magnet in and out of the coil of wire.
当磁铁相对于线圈运动时,会在线圈中产生电流。
When the magnet moves relative to the coil, it generates a current in the coil.
这就是基本原理。
That's the basic idea.
几乎所有这些竞争性发明的工作原理都是,你需要找到一种方法,让你的声音让磁铁前后振动。
The way that pretty much, I mean, all of these rival inventions, more or less, is you needed to find a way to get your voice or to get get get a voice to make a magnet vibrate back and forth.
所以磁铁在绕组中前后振动,当它这样振动时,会产生电流,而这个电流的变化方式与你声音的变化一致。
So the magnet is kind of vibrating back and forth in the coil, and as it does that, it's creating a current, and that current varies in the way that your voice is varying.
在另一端实现同样的效果,是的。
It's getting the same thing to happen at the other end Yeah.
这样就还原了声音。
And that's reproducing the sound.
但你需要一个麦克风来捕捉这个声音,对吧?
But you need a you need a microphone to capture that sound, do you?
这样说公平吗?
Is that fair?
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是
I mean
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,电话的接收器或发射器本质上就是一个麦克风。
I mean, what I mean, what what what a telephone receiver or transmitter is essentially is a microphone.
是的。
Yeah.
有趣的是,正是在这一时期,像大卫·爱德华·休斯和爱迪生这样的人正在发明麦克风之类的设备。
And, yeah, it's funnily enough, it's around about this time that people like David Edward Hughes and Edison are inventing things like microphones.
因此,当时人们对利用电来处理与声音相关的事物产生了浓厚兴趣。
So lots of interest in that kind of using electricity to do things around and about sound.
我听到的说法像是,它被风传递着,这是一种科学版的表达。
What I'm hearing is a sort of science version of it's carried on the wind.
好吧。
Okay.
这对我来说毫无意义,但我相信你。
That doesn't make any sense to me, but I believe you.
这样可以吗?
Will that do?
这是继续下去的关键。
That's that's the key to going
我认为这是保持公众沉默的关键。
on with public silence, I think.
是的。
Yeah.
我相信你就是同意。
I believe you is Yes.
对。
Yeah.
一件事。
A thing.
这场法律斗争 literally 一直拖到了最后一刻。
So the the legal battle literally went down to the wire.
格雷并没有轻视这件事。
Gray didn't take that lightly.
他提起了法律诉讼。
He he filed legal actions.
他试图为自己辩护,但最终贝尔被认定为正式胜者。
He tried to to argue his case, but ultimately Bell was found to be the official winner.
至于他是否是道德上的胜利者,凯瑟琳,我就交给你来判断了。
Whether he was the moral victor, Katharine, I'll leave up to you.
我认为这里的教训是,男孩们应该学会合作。
I think the lesson here is that boys should learn to work together.
我的教训是,实际上,如果他们把聪明才智结合起来,早就可能一起想出这个发明了,但他们却选择把它变成一场竞争,就像他们必须做的那样。
That's my lesson is that, actually, they could have probably come up with it together earlier if they put their little brains together, but they decided to make it a competition, as they must.
看看发生了什么。
And look look what happened.
我们知道亚历山大·格拉汉姆·贝尔确实进行了历史上第一次官方电话通话。
We do know that Alexander Graham Bell does make the very first official telephone call.
他通过给助手打电话来展示这一点。
He demonstrates this by calling his assistant.
哦,他并没有打电话给格雷说‘不’。
Oh, he doesn't call Gray to be like, no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
你会这么做吗?
Is that what you would do?
我脑子里想的是他们的风格是这样的。
I that's in my head what their vibe is.
好的。
Okay.
但是
But
好的。
okay.
所以他叫了他的助手。
So he calls his assistant.
是的。
He does.
是的。
Is Yes.
他的助手?
His assistant?
嗯,那也没多远。
Well, that's not not that far away.
是的。
Yeah.
助手就在隔壁房间。
The the assistant is in the next room.
哦,很好。
Oh, very good.
我们来看看。
Let's see.
第一个已知的电话内容是:沃森先生,过来一下。
The first known telephone message is, mister Watson, come here.
我需要你。
I need you.
我想让你来,对吧?
I want you, isn't it?
我想让你来。
I want you.
我需要你。
I want you.
是的。
Yeah.
这,认真地说,
Which, seriously,
我需要你。
I want you.
我觉得这种竞争非常具有破坏性。
I feel that's quite heated rivalry erosive.
确实如此。
It really is.
我需要你。
I want you.
我需要你。
I need you.
是的。
Yeah.
而且,为什么沃森总是被安排在第二位?
And also, what's with Watson's always getting relegated to second?
是的。
Yes.
哦,天哪。
Oh, bless.
你总需要一个沃森先生来当你的‘我想要你’。
You always need a mister Watson as your I want you.
我想要你。
I want you.
这很浪漫。
That is romantic.
我们终于进入了渴望的阶段。
We finally got to yearning.
电磁的渴望,是的。
Electromagnetic yearning Yeah.
终于。
At last.
伊万,既然贝尔本可以简单地朝隔壁房间喊话,这其实并没有证明这项技术在远距离上是有效的。
Iwan, given that Bell could easily have just shouted into the next room, it hasn't really proved that this technology is effective over distance.
它只证明了在10米距离内是有效的。
It's proved that it's effective over 10 meters.
所以,人们最初是不是被这项发明迷住了?
So were people initially sort of, you know, bedazzled by this invention?
还是他们觉得,这不过是个客厅把戏?
Or they're a bit like, well, that's just a parlor trick.
如果有可能同时既着迷又不以为然,那么总的来说,人们确实既着迷又不以为然。
If it's possible to be simultaneously bedazzled and unimpressed, then by and large, are bedazzled and unimpressed.
对。
Right.
是的
Yeah.
一方面,哇。
On the one hand, wow.
你可以把声音传送到远方。
You can send voices down the line.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
这太神奇了。
That's amazing.
另一方面,我们该怎么用它呢?
The other part is, so what do we do with this?
对。
Right.
这并没有解决比电报线路更快地传输更多信息的问题,因为声音实际上并不是一种高效的快速通信方式。
This doesn't, for example, solve the problem of being able to send even more information even more quickly than telegraph lines because voices aren't actually that efficient as means of quick communication.
所有那些点点点点、划划划划的组合,比说出来要快得多,也高效得多。
Mean all those dot dot dot dot dash dash dash is a lot quicker, a lot more efficient than saying
是的,沃森先生。
yes mister Watson.
过来一下。
Come here.
我需要你。
I need you.
是的。
Yeah.
那是他们的问题。
That's their issue.
他们会觉得,哦,太棒了。
They're like, oh, great.
所以现在他们得听你唠叨个没完。
So now they have to listen to you yap on.
这就是我们只想获取信息的方式吗?
Is this what we just wanna get to the information?
我不知道。
I don't know.
但你看,
But see,
WhatsApp语音消息现在基本上就是迷你播客了。
what WhatsApp voice messages, they're basically mini podcasts now.
我有一些朋友会发五分钟的语音消息。
I've got friends who leave five minute messages.
我说,拜托,发个文字就行了。
It's like, come on, just send a text.
这完全是男性面对聊天机会时的反应。
This is such a male reaction to the opportunity to chat.
我在想,你在说什么呢?
I'm like, what are you talking about?
真好。
How nice.
好的。
Okay.
所以他们只是觉得效率低下。
So they just think inefficient.
所以还不清楚这项了不起的技术创新究竟有什么用。
So it's not quite clear what this amazing technological novelty is for.
是的。
Yeah.
1876年,美国人在费城举办了百年博览会。
In 1876, the Americans hold their centennial exhibition in Philadelphia.
贝尔的发明在展会上展出。
Bell's invention is on show there.
它赢得了奖项。
It wins prizes.
评委们说,是的。
Judges go, yeah.
这是我们见过的最了不起的东西。
This is the most amazing thing we've ever seen.
但还是不太清楚它到底有什么用。
But it's still kinda not clear what it's for.
于是贝尔开始四处推广。
So Bell goes campaigning.
他向西方联合电报公司——一家垄断电报业务的强势公司——提出出售他的专利。
And he he offers his patent to the Western Union Telegraph Company, a very powerful company that have a monopoly on the telegraph.
他对他们说:我可以把这项技术以十万美元的价格卖给你们。
And he says to them, I will give you my technology for a $100,000.
他们回答:不。
And they say, No.
这没什么前途。如今,这一决定已被商学院研究为商业史上最糟糕的决策之一。
There's no future in this, Which she's now studied in business schools as one of the worst decisions in in business history.
糟糕的决定。
Bad decisions.
这已成为传奇。
It's legendary.
哇。
Wow.
喜欢这个。
Love that.
好的。
Okay.
所以贝尔只能靠自己了。
So Bell had to go on his own.
对吧?
Right?
所以他没有大笔资金。
So he hasn't got the big money.
他有他的岳父,加德纳·赫格特。
He's got his father-in-law, Gardner Huggett.
是的。
Yes.
所以,我的意思是,他们成立了一家贝尔电话公司,你知道的,那家公司做得还不错。
So, I mean, they they set up a Bell telephone company, which, you know, which did okay.
我的意思是,它曾经改过名字,现在叫什么来着?
I mean, it's changed its name at one point to what was it now?
哦,对了。
Oh, yes.
AT&T。
AT and T.
是的。
Yeah.
所以,好吧。
So Okay.
我听说过他们。
I've heard of them.
是的。
Yeah.
他们现在还在那里。
They're they're still there.
贝尔公司开始做起了所有成功的十九世纪发明家都会做的事——制造轰动效应,搞表演。
And Bell started doing, actually, what all successful nineteenth century inventors do, spectacle, showmanship.
他四处演讲,在舞台上展示电话,通过电话播放音乐,在纽约弹奏竖琴。
He goes and gives lectures, shows telephones off on stage, plays music down the telephone, playing the harp in New York.
是的。
Yeah.
波士顿的观众可以听到竖琴的演奏。
And the punters in Boston can listen to the to the harp being played.
太酷了。
Cool.
或者他在英国时,演奏《天佑国王》或《天佑女王》。
Or if he's in The UK, you know, playing God Save the King God Save the Queen.
女王。
Queen.
是的。
Yeah.
女王们。
Queens.
制造轰动效应,把它变成一场表演。
Making a spectacle at it, making a show out of it.
因为他准备向他们推销它吗?
Because he's ready to sell it to them?
他希望这能进入社区、家庭、城镇,推动商业发展。
He he wants this to go into communities, homes, towns, built businesses.
他不希望它仅仅是一项工程产品。
He doesn't want it to be just like a an engineering thing.
这是
It's
当然。
Absolutely.
但他处于那样的位置吗?
But does he have is he in that kind of position?
比如,他是不是囤了一大堆电话,准备出售,还是在没有量产之前就先炒作?
Like, is he does he have a load of telephone sat around that he is ready to sell, or is he hyping before he has production?
哦,他这是在学埃隆·马斯克。
Oh, he's Elon Musk ing.
是的。
Yeah.
我想我只是在想,我在想,嗯。
I I guess I just wonder I'm wondering yeah.
他在这个过程中到底处于什么位置?
Like, where is he in this?
他两种都在做。
He's doing a bit of both.
我的意思是,他确实在还没投产之前就开始炒作。
I mean, he's certainly hyping before he has production.
好的。
Okay.
是的。
Yeah.
而且如果有些——
And if some yeah.
如果有人在这些选举结束时出现,然后——
If somebody rolls up at the end of one of these elections and okay.
对。
Right.
我会买一个。
I'll buy one.
是的
Yeah.
那当然好啊
It would be well yeah.
非常好,先生。
Very well, sir.
您可以加入等候名单。
You may join the waiting list.
对。
Right.
好的。
Okay.
毕竟,像所有这些事情一样,你不仅仅需要购买设备。
Because after all, as with all of the all of these things, you don't just need to buy the apparatus.
你不仅仅需要购买电话。
You don't just need to buy the telephone.
整个基础设施都是必需的。
There's a whole infrastructure.
要让电话真正发挥作用,还需要一套完整的网络支持。
There's a whole network that goes along with getting the telephone to work, to be a thing.
但他们可以利用美洲地区已有的电报电缆系统吗?
But they can build on the existing telegraph cabling system across the America region?
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,他们在这一点上有优势。
I mean, they have an advantage there.
当然。
Sure.
但是,你
But, you
你知道,很多地方,那些电缆都已经在那里了。
know, lots of places, you know, those cables are there.
所以他们需要将这些电缆连接到每户家庭和每个企业。
So they would need to connect those cables to individual houses, individual businesses.
你房间里并没有电报机。
And you don't have a telegraph in your room.
除非你是规模非常大的机构,否则你的办公室里通常也不会有电报机。
You don't even have a telegraph by and large in your office unless you're a very large outfit.
好的。
Okay.
那里有电报局,你派你的孩子去电报局送信,然后它就会被
There are telegraph offices and you send your boy to the telegraph office with a message and then it's
我们每个人都有个孩子做这事。
We've all got a boy for that.
天哪。
Oh my gosh.
那个差不多算是儿子的人。
The one son of sorts.
然后它会沿着线路传输。
And it's sent down the line.
是的。
Yeah.
所以它需要被连接起来。
So it needs to be connected.
对。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
是的,必须建立新的基础设施。
Yeah, there has to be a new infrastructure.
所以,确实需要资金支持所有这些
So, yes, there does need to be money behind all of
方面。
this.
作为贝尔推广巡演的一部分,他确实开始了巡演。
And as part of Bell's promo tour, he he goes on tour.
事实上,1877年,他给自己的铃铛装上了铃环,叮叮当当,就这样。
In fact, in 1877, he puts a ring on his bell ring, ding ding, there you go.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他娶了梅布尔。
He marries Mabel.
他们去度蜜月,当她得知蜜月内容时,他却说:‘亲爱的,蜜月就是去英国做推广巡演。’
They go on honeymoon, and when she's told what the honeymoon is, he's like, a promotional tour of Britain, darling.
于是他们启程前往英国。
And they are off they go to Britain.
如果你的伴侣娶了你,然后立刻告诉你:‘其实蜜月是去参加展会,咱们去卖我发明的产品吧’,你会有什么感受?
How would you feel if your partner married you and then immediately said, honeymoon actually is we're we're off to an expo you know, let's go and sell the products I make.
我无法想象这种情况会发生。
I fathom either happening.
所以我觉得等等。
So I'm a bit like, hang on.
我不是个合适的问题对象,因为我是个表演者。
I'm the wrong person to ask because I'm a performer.
我明白。
I'm like, I get it.
听好了。
Listen.
我会预订一些演出。
I'll book some gigs.
咱们赶紧把这场秀办起来吧。
Let's make this let's get the show on the road.
我的意思是,我们俩简直疯了,所以我觉得我并不是个好例子。
I mean, I we are hell, so I don't think that I'm a good example.
如果我是梅布尔,我会说:你是在开玩笑吗?
If I'm Mabel, I'm like, are you kidding me?
见鬼了?
What the hell?
而且,如果你是聋人,风中盐分的影响有多大?电话对你来说现在还有多有效?
And also, there's gotta be an extra salt in the wind when you're if you're deaf, how effective is the telephone at this point for you?
没什么用。
Not very useful.
当然。
Sure.
现在是我的蜜月期了?
And it's now my honeymoon?
得了吧。
Oh, come on.
我会气疯的。
I'd be livid.
但我已经见过女王了。
But I did get to meet the queen already.
什么意思,我非常什么?
Mean, I'm Very what?
你能见到很多她的爵士们。
You you get to meet lots of her sirs.
你能见到重要且有影响力的人。
You get to meet important influential people.
你必须去见女王。
And you have to meet the queen.
我会气疯的。
I would be raging.
一个真正的爱尔兰女人。
A true Irish woman.
是的。
Yeah.
我会说,你是在逗我吗?
I'd be like, are you kidding kidding me?
我?
Me?
嘿。
Hey.
嘿。
Hey.
我是威尔士人。
I'm I'm Welsh.
威尔士人。
Welsh.
我和你在一起。
I'm I'm with with you.
你。
You.
此外,我假设英格兰和威尔士的邮局也会成为贝尔电话的代理。
Also the post office in England and and England and Wales, I'm assuming, is becomes the agent for Bell's telephone as well.
是的。
Yes.
这也很方便。
Which is also quite handy.
对。
Yeah.
因为到这个时候,英国的电报网络已经被国有化,由邮政局运营。
Because by this point, the telegraph network in The UK has been nationalized and it's the post office that runs it.
所以
So
在邮局里设一个旅馆,对于建立一种新的通信网络来说非常有帮助。
having an inn at the post office is quite a lot of help when you're trying to set up a new kind of communication network.
深入大卫·米切尔和罗伯特·韦伯的疯狂世界,收听他们的BBC喜剧节目。
Dive into the bonkers world of David Mitchell and Robert Webb and listen to their BBC comedy show.
从荒诞的数学问答节目‘Wang’,到了解詹姆斯·邦德作为派对嘉宾的真实样子,每个人都能找到乐趣。
From nonsensical maths quiz number Wang to finding out what James Bond is really like as a party guest, there's something for everyone.
你好,m o t t 双 a t。
Hello, m o t t double a t.
是的。
Yes.
没错。
That's right.
这是那个看似真实的事物部。
This is the ministry of things that are apparently true.
是的。
Yes.
我们确实存在。
We do exist.
讽刺的是,那些传言是真的。
The rumors are true, ironically.
无论你在哪儿听有声书,都开始收听《米切尔和韦伯》的完整第一至第五季吧。
Start listening to that Mitchell and Webb sound, the complete series one to five, wherever you get your audiobooks.
存在技术问题。
There are technical problems.
对吧?
Right?
有嗡嗡的干扰声,很嘈杂。
Buzzy interference, noisy.
电线交叉出了问题,这可是字面意义上的。
There's an issue with crossed wires, which is quite a literal thing.
电线真的交叉了。
The wires get crossed.
是的。
Yes.
字面意义上。
Literally.
字面意义上。
Literally.
是的。
Yeah.
如果电线相互摩擦
If wires brush up against each other
所以如果两根电线接触
So if two wires touch each other
那么,你知道,信息可能会混淆,朝不同方向传播。
Then, you know, the messages might get confused, go in different directions.
早期电话的接收效果其实并不好。
Reception with early telephones really isn't that good.
会有杂音。
It's buzzy.
会有噼啪声。
It's crackly.
存在一种难以将噪音从背景中分辨出来的问题。
There are problems of kind of being able to sort of discriminate noise from the background.
还有整个与接线员通话、然后由接线员帮你转接的过程。
There is the whole business of you talking to the operator and then the operator putting you through.
这不就是共用线路吗?
This is also the party line, isn't it?
是的。
Yes.
所以是共享的电话线路。
So a shared a shared phone line.
不过请注意,共用线路持续了相当长的时间,我记得在二十世纪七十年代还是孩子的时候。
Though mind you though mind you, party lines lasted for quite a long I can remember as a child in the nineteen seventies.
对。
Yeah.
共用线路是什么?
What the party line?
我们用的是共用线路。
We're on a party line.
是的。
Yeah.
你和一些邻居共用一条线路。
You share the line with some of your neighbors.
所以如果他们在打电话,你就不能打。
So if they're on the lot so so if they're on the phone, you can't be on the phone.
但你可以能
But you can Can
你能听到他们在说什么吗?
you hear what they're saying?
哦。
Oh.
是的。
Yeah.
再讲一遍。
Bring it back.
把它拿回来。
Bring it back.
我本来想温和地问一下,凯瑟琳,你有兴趣偷听吗?
I was gonna ask gently, Katharine, would you be interested in eavesdropping?
你的反应告诉我,也许吧。
Your reaction tells me perhaps.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我也不介意。
I mean, I wouldn't mind.
把它拿回来。
Bring it back.
你在开玩笑吗?
Are you joking?
把它拿回来。
Bring it back.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。